Major Snow Storm:Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works

No power in the cold is awful. We had several days 4-5 without power in early July and it was 100 or so. It think there is more ways too cool off than there is to stay warm. Especially if the power is out for any length of time.

Hope the power comes back soon for those without power.

About 6 years ago we were living on Ohio and our power cut out from 24 Dec to 27 Dec or something like that. It was COLD! But luckily just DH and me and our snow jackets and sleeping bags. It turned out to be fun (after the fact). We had nothing to do for once so we took turns reading a book by flashlight to each other and played some board games. The house got down to about 35 degrees before power was restored. Periodically, my husband would zip the cat into his snow jacket to keep it warm. The cat was pretty mad about the whole situation.

Anyways, I feel for those heater-less people out there.

Stay safe everyone, please...sleuthers will you check in as you can?? :blowkiss:

We have a beagle-corgi who does that for about 5 minutes. lol It's the funniest thing cause we always tease her...'no, go there, no wait, over there or maybe try over there'

:floorlaugh: Had to tell hubby what your dog does. Gave us both a good laugh.

Woke up to a dusting of snow here in metro-Detroit. It's sort of foggy and verrryyy windy. It was practically dark at 4:00PM yesterday, and with today being the shortest daylight of the year, I'm sure it will be dark early again today if the sun doesn't make an appearance. Stay warm and be safe.

Woke up to a dusting of snow here in metro-Detroit. It's sort of foggy and verrryyy windy. It was practically dark at 4:00PM yesterday, and with today being the shortest daylight of the year, I'm sure it will be dark early again today if the sun doesn't make an appearance. Stay warm and be safe.

We only had a dusting too. Very windy here. So much rain the moisture froze the button on my screen door. Had to tape the latch so I don't locked out by being unable to unlatch it.

Thanks for the reminder today is the shortest day of the year. I'm so excited beginning tomorrow the days will be getting longer again! :great:

Windy even out here in the northeast today, and pouring rain, which every once in a while changes to sleet. Irritating, because of course today we are leaving for the mountains for Xmas (decided to do a complete change of scene/routine for the holidays since losing my mom in the fall). Hope the driving won't be too bad!

Stay safe and warm, everyone!

Stay safe Gardenlady. Enjoy the new scenery. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. :hug:

It has started :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake: again, and with gusty winds, there's practically a whiteout :eek: I'm glad that I don't have to venture out today and will get a few things done around the house today. I haven't done any holiday baking yet and plan to make cherry-chocolate scones.

Bright and sunny here today though cold and windy with some snow still drifing. There were times yesterday when I could not tell if it was still snowing or if it was all windblown snow.

A kid from down the street likes to earn cash shoveling driveways and walks and I was happy to see him at my door late yesterday afternoon. I went out this morning and cleared more snow out. He left the driveway/parking area too narrow for this early in the season. If it were late January or February I wouldn't care, but there is no doubt going to be more snow this winter and I will need a place to put it. So I pushed his snowbanks back to widen the open area. A friend said I should have had him do it right but good grief it was NASTY out there yesterday and he worked really hard...it was not a time, IMO, to be critical. His effort is very much appreciated as I could never have done the whole thing myself, especially the enormous bank at the entrance from the snowplow.

Our snow total came up short, TG! The wind gusts were stronger than predicted though. Our schools are still closed today even though it looks nice out. So the roads must still not be cleared in outlying areas where school buses have to go.

I feel for those who get rain, then snow. Snow on top of freezing rain can actually be more treacherous than all snow. And there are reports of large areas with power outages. Southwest of me things were a whole lot worse than here. Some areas in Iowa were particulary hard hit. I hope everyone is OK.

Yikes! While I wouldn't have been headed in that direction, I heard on the radio that a section of a nearby main street has been closed due to multiple spin-outs on ice-covered roads. If you are out and about with last-minute shopping, marketing, etc., please drive carefully.

Prayers for everyone dealing with dangerous weather and driving conditions. Please stay warm and safe!

Extremely cold in Orlando today...well, for us at least. It will barely make 60 with the lows around 39. BRRRR. But good news is Christmas day is forecast near 80. So goes Florida winters.

Prayers for everyone dealing with dangerous weather and driving conditions. Please stay warm and safe!

Extremely cold in Orlando today...well, for us at least. It will barely make 60 with the lows around 39. BRRRR. But good news is Christmas day is forecast near 80. So goes Florida winters.

Barely made 60? Near 80 degrees on Christmas? :floorlaugh:

I'm sooooo jealous!

We originally wanted to go south for Christmas, and hit legoland in FL for my little boys, but DH couldnt get enough time off...so had to stick with where we could drive to. :( I couldve used some 80 degree weather (or even 60! :D )!

Just south of me around Mt. Shasta area they had to close the interstate this morning. 2-4 ft of snow and the steep climb up causing cars and trucks to slide around.
I am thinking positive thought to all the travelers out there!

How is everyone in this midwest storm doing?

Whew. That was a heckofa storm. Took me an hour to get my car out of my parking lot this morning. If I hadn't still had Christmas shopping to do, I would have just called into work. The schools were still closed today.

But--I have to share this photo:
photo.php

It's a facebook link, so I hope it works--not the first giant snowball I've seen on campus!

Edit: I don't think the link worked, so try this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...98246632.16870.116376191753876&type=1&theater

Whew. That was a heckofa storm. Took me an hour to get my car out of my parking lot this morning. If I hadn't still had Christmas shopping to do, I would have just called into work. The schools were still closed today.

But--I have to share this photo:
photo.php

It's a facebook link, so I hope it works--not the first giant snowball I've seen on campus!

Edit: I don't think the link worked, so try this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...98246632.16870.116376191753876&type=1&theater

Huge! Is it real? Photoshopped?

I can't wait for spring....I don't like cold weather!

As long as the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and Arctic Oscillation (AO) are negative, there will be Arctic blasts this winter. Last winter was warm because NAO and AO was positive. Also if the Pacific North America (PNA) is positive, it makes winter colder. NAO and AO are related. Negative NAO and AO is why we had cold winters like in 1976-1977, 1977-1978, 1978-1979, and 2009-2010.

AAO, NAO, PNA & AO
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Right now, we are in a Neutral phase of El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO). It was forecasted to be El Nino, but due to a cool Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), there is no El Nino. El Nino happens more often when PDO is in a warm phase. Some of the strongest El Ninos occurred in warm PDO like 1982-1983 and 1997-1998, PDO plays a role in droughts, along with the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO). The 1930s drought happened because of warm PDO and AMO. The 1950s and current drought is due to cool PDO and warm AMO.

North Atlantic oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arctic oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pacific decadal oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlantic multidecadal oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific-North_American_teleconnection_pattern

I am checking in to wish all our WS Peeps well in the path of very cold weather! :please:

I feel kind of guilty saying I am cold from lows of 34 degrees at night... And highs of 60 in the day.... But it is a shock to my SoCal body!

:cold:

I am not complaining... Am enjoying rare extended winterish weather..... for us!:D

So sorry to hear of your loss this year, GardenLady... :hug:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back