Major Snow Storm:Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works

It's been snowing now for about two hours or so, really lightly. I guess I'm like a kid in that I want a big storm. The idea of being trapped at home with my family is comforting.

Now if my two dogs didn't want to go outside every 15 minutes, it would be heavenly.

Thin layer of ice on the ground, snow is blowing sideways wet, cold and nasty. Schools closed, accidents all over, some highways north of us closed.

Dogs ate their food, danced to go outside and once patio door was opened stopped dead in their tracks, looked up at us like "Really?" Did their business quickly and slide back across the patio bricks to get into the house.

Had thunder and lightening last night. Looks like we will only get snow for a little bit longer.

I am in Wisconsin in an area that is expecting the highest snow total. We only have about 5 inches now but the wind has started to blow. NW winds cause snow to drift onto my porch and once a couple winters ago I had a 3-foot drift up against the door, it is an outswing door so I could not get the door open. Now that I know that can happen I take care to not have it happen again. My back door is non-functioning (I need to replace that as soon as I can afford to do it) so if the front door is blocked, I am truly "snowed in." I have been out three times this morning to clear the porch of drifting snow and will probably have to do this every 15-20 minutes for as long as the high winds blow.

I don't mind snow but I do not like getting it all at once.

Everyone, stay safe.

I am in Wisconsin in an area that is expecting the highest snow total. We only have about 5 inches now but the wind has started to blow. NW winds cause snow to drift onto my porch and once a couple winters ago I had a 3-foot drift up against the door, it is an outswing door so I could not get the door open. Now that I know that can happen I take care to not have it happen again. My back door is non-functioning (I need to replace that as soon as I can afford to do it) so if the front door is blocked, I am truly "snowed in." I have been out three times this morning to clear the porch of drifting snow and will probably have to do this every 15-20 minutes for as long as the high winds blow.

I don't mind snow but I do not like getting it all at once.

Everyone, stay safe.

We'll only get around 3-4 inches. Wind is gusting up to 50 miles an hour. Some highways block to the south of us also as accidents and trucks not able to go up and down the off ramps.

Tornadoes in the southern states.

Any way you can block off part of your porch near the door krkrix? We once had snow halfway up our front door. Had to push, push, then reach out with a small shovel and dig what we could, until hubby could squeeze outside for some major digging out.

We'll only get around 3-4 inches. Wind is gusting up to 50 miles an hour. Some highways block to the south of us also as accidents and trucks not able to go up and down the off ramps.

Tornadoes in the southern states.

Any way you can block off part of your porch near the door krkrix? We once had snow halfway up our front door. Had to push, push, then reach out with a small shovel and dig what we could, until hubby could squeeze outside for some major digging out.

I will probably do a temporary install of some snow fencing to the deck rail, but can't do anything for now. I actually thought of that fix last night, so as soon as this storm is done and things are cleared out a bit I will go buy the fencing. I could probably attach it to the rail with some wire or plastic ties.

Your description of how you got your door open, reaching out with a shovel then squeezing outside made me laugh. That's exactly how I had to do it that time it happened to me.
:giggle:

I will probably do a temporary install of some snow fencing to the deck rail, but can't do anything for now. I actually thought of that fix last night, so as soon as this storm is done and things are cleared out a bit I will go buy the fencing. I could probably attach it to the rail with some wire or plastic ties.

Your description of how you got your door open, reaching out with a shovel then squeezing outside made me laugh. That's exactly how I had to do it that time it happened to me.
:giggle:

On the bright side our house was very warm with the snow bank around it.

Chicken bands are cheap and sturdy and easy to cut down in the spring with a pair of scissors.

Several years ago when we had a really bad winter storm the snow was halfway up our patio door, yet the middle of our small backyard you could see the grass! Had to shovel the 2-4 foot drifts so the dogs could go outside. Hubby and I got creative and made little pathways with occasional 4 x 6 foot round areas for dog pooping spots. Took us awhile. Dogs had fun barking and running around the snow course....kinda like a Halloween corn maze.

We got two hour commutes for a 15 minute drive in good weather.

Thousands lost power here and we are not in the major storm area! Sheesh! Hope our Northern/Eastern neighbors stay safe. :please:

Draco is a big pain in the behind.

We have a low of 6 tonight. I guess -0 doesn't happen too often where you are. The funny thing, we aren't getting any snow out of this system.

We have lows in the teens more than single digits or below 0, but we do get them both sometimes.

There saying 1"-6" here so they didn't narrow it down much. We had tons of rain overnight and it is supposed to start snowing about 3-4pm.

You're in Chicago, right? How is it there?

Lots of rain overnight, some flooding but none on the road that I have seen. Snow isn't supposed to start until about 3 today.

It's 44 right now so we have a bit of cooling off to do before it changes from rain to snow.

my friend in madison, wi just sent me this picture

Attachments

• madison.jpg
    madison.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 25
Well, I am in Oregon and I don't know if I am part of your storm or not, but we are getting some rough weather here. Nothing like you all, but enough that it makes me worried for travelers. Interstate 5 is really the only main method of getting through northern CA through OR and it can be scary since it climbs up to 4,000 ft, then back down then up again through a few different passes. If there is any snow on the ground you have to chain up, but the passes are so steep it really makes it hard if it gets icy.

A couple of days ago there was a major 60 or 70 car pileup because of black ice just on the other side of the pass in Yreka, CA.

Anyways, I am really stressing because we have very heavy winds here and four days of snow forecasted (a few inches to a few feet) AND of course my parents are trying to come up here from southern CA. I really want to see them for Christmas, but I want them to stay safe also. I would hate for them to stay home and the storm turns out to be nothing, but I would hate for them to be stuck somewhere or worse, get into an accident. :(

Better safe than sorry, Deca. If it looks like the weather is going to be bad, reschedule your visit with your parents. It's always better to be safe than sorry, even if the weather is not as bad as expected.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/us/midwest-blizzard/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

In Omaha, Nebraska, utility crews struggled overnight -- sometimes in near whiteout conditions -- to restore power to 38,000 customers left in the dark by the storm, according to the Omaha Public Power District. The utility urged customers to brace for slow going.
In neighboring Iowa, more than 30,000 customers were without power, most of them in the Des Moines area, according to MidAmerican Energy.

They cancelled University of WI campuses, can't remember the last time that happened. They also just shut down the city buses - now that is even more rare! All city offices closed. So they basically shut down the entire area, Madison (state capital) included. Amazing!

We probably have 5-6" on the ground so far. I tried attaching a picture but it won't let me on my iPad. :(

They've now closed the main malls in Madison (East Towne and West Towne are both closed). You KNOW it's a major storm when the malls close five days before Christmas.

I already called in snow-bound to my office job, and I just got the email telling me I don't need to go into my part-time retail job tonight--whew.

I was woken up last night by thundersnow. Now, looking out my window, it's a beautiful, windy, snowy mess--and I'm really happy I don't need to be out in it today--but I'm looking forward to some skiing/snowshoeing in the near future. In one storm, this is already more snow than we got all last winter. Hopefully it will help us recover from this year's drought.

Easier snow shoveling tip:

Spray your snow shovel or snow blower with Pam cooking spray. The snow will not stick to the shovel and slides off. Hubby just did this little trick and it worked for him.

Well snow is 3 feet deep against my back door, but front door is ok. Hubby DID end up having to go into work, but he got there safe. His boss is here visiting from Dallas... i guess he's shell shocked or something lol took a taxi from his hotel to the office and just keeps staring out the window LOL

Several places in Iowa without power.. thankfully none to close to me. I told hubby if we lose power, he's not allowed home unless he has a generator in tow :)

My dogs did what the poster up above dags did.. looked at me like i was nuts when the door opened and had to be pushed out the door, they peed about a foot in front of the door and started howling to get back in LOL silly dogs!

Easier snow shoveling tip:

Spray your snow shovel or snow blower with Pam cooking spray. The snow will not stick to the shovel and slides off. Hubby just did this little trick and it worked for him.

Thanks, great idea. I don't have any cooking spray. I wonder if a paper towel or rag with vegetable oil would work? It's worth trying.

I have an association and they are supposed to shovel, but they don't salt, and they aren't always prompt with shoveling so lots of times I do it myself. Once in awhile I'm awoken by the sound of snowblowers at 3am on the rare occasion the association get's the snow plowed before the morning rush.

Still raining here and 45 degrees. They are now saying the storm will be here about 3:00 pm. Fortunately by that time I have already picked the kiddo up from school and we're back home.

Well snow is 3 feet deep against my back door, but front door is ok. Hubby DID end up having to go into work, but he got there safe. His boss is here visiting from Dallas... i guess he's shell shocked or something lol took a taxi from his hotel to the office and just keeps staring out the window LOL

Several places in Iowa without power.. thankfully none to close to me. I told hubby if we lose power, he's not allowed home unless he has a generator in tow :)

My dogs did what the poster up above dags did.. looked at me like i was nuts when the door opened and had to be pushed out the door, they peed about a foot in front of the door and started howling to get back in LOL silly dogs!

BBM. I want a picture! I'd love to see his expression. I hope he isn't planning on flying out soon! :floorlaugh:

Thanks, great idea. I don't have any cooking spray. I wonder if a paper towel or rag with vegetable oil would work? It's worth trying.

I have an association and they are supposed to shovel, but they don't salt, and they aren't always prompt with shoveling so lots of times I do it myself. Once in awhile I'm awoken by the sound of snowblowers at 3am on the rare occasion the association get's the snow plowed before the morning rush.

Still raining here and 45 degrees. They are now saying the storm will be here about 3:00 pm. Fortunately by that time I have already picked the kiddo up from school and we're back home.

I don't know if cooking oil will work...worth a try. You may have to reapply after so much shoveling.

I'd like to have see peeples dogs too. Yeah we have yellow snow a foot from the back door. Fortunately the number two stuff is out farther away....since one dog does it's little constipation dance for 3 minutes before it produces the desired effect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back