MD MD - Jonathan Luna, 38, Baltimore, 4 December 2003

Can't say that I've seen it in print either. This is a most bizarre case. Since it involves a federal prosecutor, there may not be much leaked evidence. Wish I could remember where I heard the part about most of the wounds being in the genital area - probably on Fox News, but just caught a snippit.

OK - I'm hoping there is an explanation for this crime that does not besmirch this man's reputation, for the sake of his adoring family.

That said, picture this: he picks up a hooker and they park to get it on. Girly looking hooker has a penis or is a Tranny of some sort. Lawyer gets pissed, they scuffle and the he-hooker stabs him. Would explain the ability to overpower and attention to genital area.

Edited to add query - where did the killer go?? Wouldn't someone remember seeing someone walking or hitchhiking in the area? was there another car?

Originally posted by gsquared
Here's an article from the Post on Saturday about the case. The print edition had a map showing the corcuitous route he took. I wish they had the map on line!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17950-2003Dec20.html

Thank you so much for posting this link. It's really good
to know that the Washington post is interested in and
following the story.

When even a college roommate describes a guy as
"honorable and always dignified" he doesn't sound
like the type to be involved with a hooker.

So- until I hear more facts from a reliable source such as
The Post, I'm going to hesitate to blame Luna's murder
on some sleazy act on his part.

Civitatty, I was thinking the exact same thing about a hooker turned male. But then I thought - why the weird driving route? I wondered if maybe Luna was following someone, or being followed and trying to throw someone off this trail? The driving route makes no sense at all. If you're going to pick up a hooker, you don't have to go hundreds of miles out of your way to do it.

Because Luna had one of those EZPasses, he didn't need to turn in a ticket to get off the turnpike. So, someone else was probably driving his car at this point. There probably was also another car and person(s) involved. How else would the person exit the crime scene? I sure hope that they catch who did this.

Originally posted by nanandjim
Because Luna had one of those EZPasses, he didn't need to turn in a ticket to get off the turnpike. So, someone else was probably driving his car at this point. There probably was also another car and person(s) involved. How else would the person exit the crime scene? I sure hope that they catch who did this.

BINGO!!!!
That makes total sense!

He was not driving and must have already been
injured at that point!
I'm thinking there may have been several involved
since the pool of blood was on the floor in the back.
That would mean we need a driver, a guy in the back
with Luna and someone following in another car for
the getaway.

Originally posted by Pepper
Can't say that I've seen it in print either. This is a most bizarre case. Since it involves a federal prosecutor, there may not be much leaked evidence. Wish I could remember where I heard the part about most of the wounds being in the genital area - probably on Fox News, but just caught a snippit.

The Philadelphia Inquirer had a story that said that the reports of genital wounds was untrue. He had "light bruising" in that area, consistent with being kicked, but no stab wounds.

I can't buy the hooker theory, simply because there would be no earthly reason for a guy from Baltimore to meet a hooker in Lancaster County. There is apparently some evidence that he had been to that area recently, but there is no "business" explanation for it. Also doesn't make sense that he would work until 11:30, then take off to go meet a hooker for a quickie someplace in PA when he was due in court bright and early the next morning. If he was kidnapped, it must have happend AFTER he stopped for gas in King of Prussia. The clerk said he was fine at that point.

I am inclined to believe that he owed somebody alot of money. He met them near King of Prussia with the cash he had picked up in Delaware, but they were not satisfied. Two of them got control of him and his vehicle at that point and got on the Turnpike at the Valley Forge on ramp. Another guy followed in another car. During the hour or so it took to get to the Denver exit, he was stabbed. They got off at Denver, dumped him in the creek (which is visible from the turnpike) and hopped into the other car and were home shortly thereafter.

If his intended destination was King of Prussia, he could have expected to make the round trip in about 3 hours if he went 80 or so. I think he planned to meet the guys, give them a "down payment" and get back to Baltimore in time to catch a couple hours of sleep and still show up in court on time.

Originally posted by luthersmama
The Philadelphia Inquirer had a story that said that the reports of genital wounds was untrue. He had "light bruising" in that area, consistent with being kicked, but no stab wounds.

Thanks for that info from the Inquirer.
Hopefully now we can put to rest the
gossip about the genital stab wounds.

Also, I agree this had nothing to do with
a hooker and may well have to do with
revenge or blackmail.

poco said:
Is anyone following this case or have an interest in it???
Aloha, Poco :) - I am interested in this case. I wish they could figure out who killed him. Please continue to post any info that you find on the case. Mahalo in advance!

Apparently, from what I have been able to gather, he was at home, got a call late in the evening - went into his office, then left his office at 11:30 p.m., leaving his cell phone and glasses on his desk, and headed northeast to the Philadelphia area, where he had made several non-work-related trips during the past few months. He then drove West on the Turnpike towards Lancaster County, where he was found dead about 5:30 a.m.

He left Baltimore, driving Northeast towards Philadelphia when, instead, he could of just shot up I-83 to York Pa and then over to Ephrata, almost a straight shot. Why the circuitous route?

A direct route from Baltimore to Lancaster County covers about 100 miles and would take under two hours. The route Luna took, however, covered about 135 miles and would have taken about 2 hours.

Poco - that link takes me to the reply screen of Websleuths.

This is only my third post and I'm still trying to figure out the bells and whistles.

Anyway, I was wondering if you think Jonathan Luna's murder is related to his occupation or a 'secret life' ?

Arctic

WhiteWolf said:
Bumping this up for the members interested in the Luna case.

Thanks for the bump. I had started on thread on this entitled Jonathan Luna (his name, of course), as I didn't see where anyone had been discussing. I find this case interesting and see others are interested as well.

Let's keep up the discussion.

MISSING PROSECUTOR FOUND SHOT - is another thread that was started before this one in regards to this case. Obviously, I didn't see it when I started this one - let those of us who are interested in this case continue our discussion under that thread as there are more posts there and we can just continue with that. Sorry for the confusion!

Apparently he was already at home when he got a telephone call which prompted him to go back to his office - when he left the office about 11:00 or 11:30 or so is when the mysterious trip began. Did he receive a call from his office of some sort??? I'm sure LE has already gotten the phone records from that evening. Other questions I have -

Where does he live in reference to his office? Where is Howard County?
Who called him at home to have him return to his office?
What happened next?

The circuitous route is what confuses me. I am from that area, know it quite well, and it does not make any sense to me.

Another car was involved in my opinion indicating one of two possiblities; an affair in which the husband or boyfriend followed to possible meeting or a meeting with a supposed informant pertaining to a case. Wouldn't be the first prosecutor killed in Balto. and 95 is so easy to access all the areas he drove that night.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back