MI - Korey Brown, 14 mos, dies at day care, POI 8 years old, Muskegon, 14 April 2017

Yes, it is indeed tragic I hope that LE and the child-care-authorities investigate this thoroughly & stay on this & find some answers, if possible. Were all of the adult care-givers asleep? I would think not -- where were/was they/he/her?

Oh why is it that so many victims are children??? Dammit.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/BCAL_PUB_8_3_16_523999_7.pdf

Page 22 discusses caregiver-child ratio numbers...it's 1:4 for infants to 30 months. States a caregiver, which is also defined, must be PRESENT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...there are similar guidelines in every state stating that an adult must be present, and actually in some states, the ratio is lower when there are infants/toddlers (depending on age it could be as low as 1:2).

I am guessing in this situation this is possibly not a "daycare" facility that is registered as such by the state, but more like a woman/family who cares for kids in her home (and is probably much cheaper). I am also guessing she is not a liscensed facility (because that is cheaper and it avoids dealing with DCYS regs) and not insured (part of the regs).

And here is a tragic example of why the state has those regulations...

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Same thing I thought when I read that. Very odd. It's can't be both.

~

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I think it is hard to get a strait story considering the people involved...you have a mom who just lost her baby, her eight year old suspected of killing the child (who is probably traumatized), a five year old who at the very least saw it (also traumatized), and the caregiver who is trying very hard to CHA (knowing full well she is going to be charged with something so minimizing everything is her best move)...until the medical examiner releases COD anything in the media is really unreliable

I think it is hard to get a strait story considering the people involved...you have a mom who just lost her baby, her eight year old suspected of killing the child (who is probably traumatized), a five year old who at the very least saw it (also traumatized), and the caregiver who is trying very hard to CHA (knowing full well she is going to be charged with something so minimizing everything is her best move)...until the medical examiner releases COD anything in the media is really unreliable

Why would the police chief lie if, like the mom said, there were deep wounds? It's not like he doesn't think a crime was committed.

I think I read uptrhead that she had found the home daycare on the registration site.

Yes...there are similar guidelines in every state stating that an adult must be present, and actually in some states, the ratio is lower when there are infants/toddlers (depending on age it could be as low as 1:2).

I am guessing in this situation this is possibly not a "daycare" facility that is registered as such by the state, but more like a woman/family who cares for kids in her home (and is probably much cheaper). I am also guessing she is not a liscensed facility (because that is cheaper and it avoids dealing with DCYS regs) and not insured (part of the regs).

And here is a tragic example of why the state has those regulations...

I read that none of her kids were 8 years old. I was thinking the 8 year old is possibly the provider's kid.... but in CA if your own kids are there, they are counted in your daycare "count".

Does anyone know if the daycare had any negative reports in the past and were they a licensed daycare?

I wonder if the child harmed the baby before this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my, steamy hot tears and shock here! Who leaves young children unsupervised? My goodness!

since these children were watched overnight and it was a daycare home, I am assuming everyone was asleep and the baby cried and the 8 year old got up with the baby. and then who knows.

I understand the kids were there overnight. It makes sense to me, I suppose, that they might be sleeping in a room alone. HOWEVER, there should have been monitors!! I don't care if the room is right next to yours, you should have monitors to be able to see and hear the kids. This is such a disaster, and as someone who has been a caregiver for small children, I am absolutely horrified!!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Another thing is, if a one year old "sleeps" through a diaper change, chances are, there's a freaking problem!!!

I have an 11 month old and an 8 month old today. If either of them does not respond when I'm changing their diapers, I'm calling 911, then the parents. I'm not laying them in a playpen!!

Where is the link about the diaper change? I missed it.

I agree with you. I just assume that is what happened.

I understand the kids were there overnight. It makes sense to me, I suppose, that they might be sleeping in a room alone. HOWEVER, there should have been monitors!! I don't care if the room is right next to yours, you should have monitors to be able to see and hear the kids. This is such a disaster, and as someone who has been a caregiver for small children, I am absolutely horrified!!

it was in the first link I believe. when the mother arrived to pick up the kids one of the caregivers said that he was "knocked out and had not awaken when his diaper was changed"

Where is the link about the diaper change? I missed it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back