MI - Korey Brown, 14 mos, dies at day care, POI 8 years old, Muskegon, 14 April 2017

I also have to wonder about the home life of the 8 yr old. Who drops an 8 yr old off to daycare at 2 am? That seems very disruptive and unhealthy, schedule wise, for an 8 yr old. How does an 8 yr old do a regular school schedule with odd sleep hours like that?
I have been trying to stay away from this part, but I admit I thought about this when it was first released. I am hoping it was a one time thing? I don't know...

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I have been trying to stay away from this part, but I admit I thought about this when it was first released. I am hoping it was a one time thing? I don't know...

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I have been wondering this as well, I know there can be special circumstances and I hate to speculate, but it definitely makes one pause and notice. Definitely is less than ideal imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to add fuel to a really nasty fire, but I not only had the time cross my mind (was this child going to then get up for school at 6 am? ) but what if they give her benadryl to put her back to sleep. Both myself and my little boy have insane nightmares that continue even after I open my eyes. I don't give anything with Diphenhydramine to either of us!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I don't want to add fuel to a really nasty fire, but I not only had the time cross my mind (was this child going to then get up for school at 6 am? ) but what if they give her benadryl to put her back to sleep. Both myself and my little boy have insane nightmares that continue even after I open my eyes. I don't give anything with Diphenhydramine to either of us!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Both my daughter and my husband have paradoxical reactions to Benadryl.

The condition of that house is appalling. I see holes in the siding. Perfect for bugs and rodents. Dangling wires at kid height.

I was a licensed day care provider 35 years ago. My home was inspected by two licensing agents AND the Fire Marshall. Three separate inspections. I can only imagine it is stricter now. I can't imagine that home passing inspection.

my little goes to a home daycare and that house is immaculate. I could not hope to have my house that clean! when I was considering her for placement, I checked the county site and she had ONE red tag for the fountain in her front yard. she still has the fountain but doesn't use water in it anymore.

Both my daughter and my husband have paradoxical reactions to Benadryl.

The condition of that house is appalling. I see holes in the siding. Perfect for bugs and rodents. Dangling wires at kid height.

I was a licensed day care provider 35 years ago. My home was inspected by two licensing agents AND the Fire Marshall. Three separate inspections. I can only imagine it is stricter now. I can't imagine that home passing inspection.

Day care provider charged with neglect following toddler's death
By Lynn Moore | lmoore8@mlive.com | May 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM, updated May 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM

MUSKEGON, MI - A day care provider will be charged with child neglect following the death of a toddler at her facility last month.

The Muskegon County Prosecutor's Office announced Friday that Keysha Michelle Collins, 50, will be charged with second-degree child neglect under a statute that took effect April 6, just eight days before the April 14 death of 14-month-old Korey Brown. The charge is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The toddler, who was at the home with several siblings as well as other children, was found unresponsive by his mother when she arrived to take her children home.

The investigation into who caused the child's fatal injuries is continuing, according to the statement released by the office of Muskegon County Prosecutor D.J. Hilson.

(. . .)

Thanks, byo. That's a start.

there's some !@#$% on the donation page who tried to blame it on vaccinations ugh I'm sure they know better now

Woman charged with neglect following day care death waives prelim
By Stephen Kloosterman | sklooste@mlive.com | May 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM, updated May 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM

MUSKEGON, MI - Day care provider Keysha Michelle Collins on Tuesday waived a preliminary examination for a charge of second-degree child neglect.

Collins was originally charged with neglect following the death of a 14-month old boy, Korey Brown, at her Muskegon home daycare April 14, 2017. She is accused of failing to adequately supervise children in her care and committing several violations of child care home licensing requirements.

Muskegon County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Timothy M. Maat said at the May 30 appearance in District Court that his office doesn't have a copy of the medical examiner's report related to Collins' case, and doesn't expect to have it until June 12.

(. . . )

Day care provider enters plea related to death of toddler in her care
By Lynn Moore | lmoore8@mlive.com | Updated on August 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM | Posted on August 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM

MUSKEGON, MI - A day care provider in whose home a toddler died in April has pleaded guilty to a child neglect-related charge.

Keysha Michelle Collins, 50, pleaded guilty to felony attempted child neglect on Friday, Aug. 11, said Muskegon County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Timothy Maat.

She had been charged with second degree child neglect.

(. . .)

The prosecutor's office said Collins did not inflict any injuries on the child. Early on, police said an 8-year-old in the home was being investigated.

:confused:

That's it?

Sounds like it -- maybe it's a slap on both wrists -- SMH

Girl who killed baby at daycare heard demon's voice, court file says
By Lynn Moore | lmoore8@mlive.com | Updated on August 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM | Posted on August 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM

MUSKEGON, MI - An 8-year-old girl who killed a toddler at a Muskegon daycare home earlier this year suffers from "serious mental health" issues that include hearing the voice of a demon, according to court documents.

(. . .)

The petition asks the court to make the girl a temporary ward of the state and to "make an appropriate decision regarding placement of (the girl) that protects her brother and other children." The best placement is "Hawthorne Child Psychiatric Hospital," the petition states. Hawthorn Center is a state-run residential psychiatric facility in Northville that treats children and adolescents.

(. . .)

The girl told investigators that "she hears a white demon talking to her and telling her to do something and a white guy telling her not to do something," the petition states.

"She indicates she sees these figures and hears them frequently. She also reports hearing a 'red voice' that tells her to do bad things like pinch or bite her brother."

(. . .)

:(

Mmmmmphf -- This could actually be the real thing on the part of this 8-year-old. Although this type of psychosis does not often manifest itself so soon and so violently in young children, her case could be a severe one. And, IMO, she does need immediate and intensive treatment from a staff who is good at this kind of sickness, and the sooner the better. She is suffering (if this is real) and so are so many others around her. I wonder if she had been at the daycare long enuff for someone to notice her sickness. Oh, this is a bad situation for everyone.

Form of synesthesia?

Fascinatingly tragic. For so many people. Talk about ripples with this one...

From the above article:

Following Korey's death, the girl lit a couch on fire in her home - something she said the "red demon" told her to do, the petition states.

She has had numerous suspensions from school for such activity as hitting a lunch aide, fighting, using a chair to hurt another student, stealing and intentionally making herself vomit, the petition states. The school provided her with intensive services, the petition says.

Her mother reports the girl "is destructive at home and has intentionally broken furniture and other objects in the home" and that her "anger is very rapid and she becomes physically aggressive."

She had been "acting out" at daycare and picking on the younger children, the petition states.

It sounds like there were signs. It's sad it had to get this far.

Day care provider back in court in baby death criminal case
By Lynn Moore | Updated 8:12 AM; Posted 8:02 AM

MUSKEGON COUNTY, MI - The day care provider in whose home a baby was killed is back in court after a judge withdrew his commitment to not jail her for child neglect.

(. . .) the Muskegon County Prosecutor's Office recently asked that (Judge) Marietti reconsider his agreement for no jail because of the office's failure to provide "crucially important" victim impact information to the judge.

Marietti agreed to pull out of his sentencing commitment, and as a result Collins withdrew her no contest plea. The case is now proceeding toward trial.

(. . .)

And the 8-year-old girl who killed Baby Korey:

Authorities say an 8-year-old girl with mental health issues killed Brown after becoming frustrated by his crying.

The girl was among the children being cared for overnight at Collins' day care home, and has since been placed in a residential psychiatric facility for children and adolescents.

Very sad case. :(

I'm surprised the judge can withdraw the plea agreement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back