NY - Christopher Porco - Another Menandez situation? - sentenced

JerseyGirl said:
The article makes me wonder if these attorneys weren't simply chosen based on their appeals record. Good grief. I suppose that if the money is good enough, morals don't matter. How can these people not see what is so evident??? Or do they see it but this defense is "all in a day's work"?

Hi JerseyGirl, good thought, there! Maybe. And it sickens me to know how much CP's mom forked out for him.

Re your earlier coments 'the murder as revenge': I def think this was included in his MO. Otherwise - why not opt for a 'softkill' like arsenic poisoning, etc. However, that would take time (unless one major lethal dose) and repeated trips home. There was anger, or else why not sneak home, fiddle with gas and block airvents, etc? And as Captain advised: CP had this sick fixation on the 'mob', Frankie The Fireman & the dramatics attached to bloody crimes.

I think CP ranks as one of the most treacherous & dangerous criminal minds out there and trust he never gets to see civilian life again!

Captain: Thanks for your ongoing thoughts, insight and contributions; you wrote:

Not only would he escape exposure; he would inherit 1/2 of whatever assets his parents had, including insurance policies that carried double indemnity clauses. He would be able to continue his "alter-ego" lifestyle with no one to answer to. No more parents asking questions, no more worry over finances, and all the freedom he needed to continue to lie, cheat, and use anyone and everyone for his benefit.

Despicable! I feel he may have even gone so far as 'use' his parents tragic, brutal and senseless demise as a 'crutch' to lure others into his suction web. It's truly heartbreaking to see how hard his parents tried to 'get through to him' and they were always there: they wanted so badly to get him to come right. Seems CP was having none of it.

s_finch and others have asked (with respect and understanding) if CP showed unusual social traits as a child/adolescent? As a college-going youth, anti-social signs were clearly there, as this case and the trial unveiled. It may be that if he did, he was also clever back then to hide his demons, aside from getting these cheap thrills to shatter congenial atmosphere over dinner by bringing out the Frankie-the-Fireman stories.

SheerLuck said:
Here's a story from local Bethlehem paper; The Spotlight. It is about possible appeal

http://www.spotlightnews.com/spotlightnews/article.php?article_id=tK1163167785t45548829e7f1c

Hi SheerLuck and thanks for posting this. As JG wrote: his atties appear to be better on appeal than they are during trials! However, I have this niggling gut instinct telling me this may not be one of their self-congratulatory success-stories! JMHO, but I think CP's locked up good and locked up proper!

(As an aside, but part of those supporting CP: I wonder how the vet's business is doing these days :waitasec: ??)

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Re your earlier coments 'the murder as revenge': I def think this was included in his MO. Otherwise - why not opt for a 'softkill' like arsenic poisoning, etc. However, that would take time (unless one major lethal dose) and repeated trips home. There was anger, or else why not sneak home, fiddle with gas and block airvents, etc? And as Captain advised: CP had this sick fixation on the 'mob', Frankie The Fireman & the dramatics attached to bloody crimes.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know for sure that sociopaths can be angry and violent. It's just that when I look at this crime, it is significantly more of a calculated crime than it is a spontaneous fit of rage. I believe that Chris probably contemplated this crime for a long time, realizing that his parents were worth more to him dead than alive.

And I think that he quite possibly would have done this at some point to someone even if the facade hadn't been lifted so I don't necessarily believe that it's about punishment. I think that Chris is flashy and arrogant and would always have wanted more, no matter what the cost. Had Chris been married, we might have been looking at another Scott Peterson, Mark Hacking, Neil Entwhistle, and probably Raven Abaroa crime. Chris and his personality issues were a time bomb.

JerseyGirl said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know for sure that sociopaths can be angry and violent. It's just that when I look at this crime, it is significantly more of a calculated crime than it is a spontaneous fit of rage. I believe that Chris probably contemplated this crime for a long time, realizing that his parents were worth more to him dead than alive. QUOTE]

Exactly Jersey Girl. I thought one of the most important details of the crime came out in the trial, when a close friend of Chris's from Delmar took the stand and testified that in the summer before the murder(3 months before the murder actually took place); that Chris had told his friend he had read his parents will and stood to inherit a lot of money if they died. This is a very strange thing to tell a friend and a very strange thing to interest anyone as young as 20 years old who's just beginning their life. So from this friend's testimony, we learned that the idea of attacking his parents might have been planted in Chris's sick mind many months before the crime was actually committed; not just in the weeks or days in October when the e-mails were heating up. Maybe it's both ends of this: a calculated, well planned out crime combined with a lot of supressed anger and rage?

Here is the full phone call Porco made to the Bethlehem Police after the Times Union reported called his dorm room and told him his parents had died. I'm sure that even without his Moms head nod; Chris would have been the prime suspect immediately after he made this phone call. This lady who took the call had to have been stunned by his calm demeanor, which is absolutely inhuman. This phone calls explains how the police knew immediately he was guilty and also how they knew he was a sociopath. Zero emotion in him after just being told minutes before the call that his parents were found dead. Here's link if it works(it's eery; to say the least)

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?channel=48Hours

JerseyGirl said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know for sure that sociopaths can be angry and violent. It's just that when I look at this crime, it is significantly more of a calculated crime than it is a spontaneous fit of rage. I believe that Chris probably contemplated this crime for a long time, realizing that his parents were worth more to him dead than alive.

And I think that he quite possibly would have done this at some point to someone even if the facade hadn't been lifted so I don't necessarily believe that it's about punishment. I think that Chris is flashy and arrogant and would always have wanted more, no matter what the cost. Had Chris been married, we might have been looking at another Scott Peterson, Mark Hacking, Neil Entwhistle, and probably Raven Abaroa crime. Chris and his personality issues were a time bomb.

In total agreement with you, JerseyGirl! I was "writing in tandem" with you, in ways. In fact, I'd go so far as to say CP LIVED under a veil of quiet controlled rage against his parents and those in 'higher authority' while he was a dependent, for a very long time. He's indeed in the same bracket as the evil and treacherous murderers you mentioned; I'll just throw in Justin Barber, John List and (believe it or not) Lord "Lucky" Lucan to name a few more!

But, like Scott Peterson who clearly couldn't believe LE would swoop within an hour and turn this into a global case - CP was equally shocked that despite no DNA ----> cameras, testimony and circumstantial evidence brought out the monster within...

SheerLuck said:
Here is the full phone call Porco made to the Bethlehem Police after the Times Union reported called his dorm room and told him his parents had died. I'm sure that even without his Moms head nod; Chris would have been the prime suspect immediately after he made this phone call. This lady who took the call had to have been stunned by his calm demeanor, which is absolutely inhuman. This phone calls explains how the police knew immediately he was guilty and also how they knew he was a sociopath. Zero emotion in him after just being told minutes before the call that his parents were found dead. Here's link if it works(it's eery; to say the least)

Thanks, SheerLuck. Geeez! This guy was as bleak and casual as if this was not a human tragedy but rather as if it was a distraction of sorts that he didn't want to have to waste time over. He reacted as though it was a confusing and unknown abstract occurrence & he sounded about as mundane as if he was trying to find out if an aeorplane his parents apparently boarded had landed! He's truly scary.

(I answered JerseyGirl's post immediately and agree with your previous post to this one @ 100%, too.)

SheerLuck said:
I thought one of the most important details of the crime came out in the trial, when a close friend of Chris's from Delmar took the stand and testified that in the summer before the murder(3 months before the murder actually took place); that Chris had told his friend he had read his parents will and stood to inherit a lot of money if they died.
I totally agree. This is exactly the same thing that had me thinking this.

SheerLuck said:
So from this friend's testimony, we learned that the idea of attacking his parents might have been planted in Chris's sick mind many months before the crime was actually committed; not just in the weeks or days in October when the e-mails were heating up.
It almost makes me wonder if Chris was creating all of this drama along the way, (intentionally or subconsciously), to sort of provide himself with some sort of justification in his own mind of why he had to murder them.

JerseyGirl said:
It almost makes me wonder if Chris was creating all of this drama along the way, (intentionally or subconsciously), to sort of provide himself with some sort of justification in his own mind of why he had to murder them.

JG: I feel CP lived under a hidden rage for years. I think he was lazy, impatient and resented the concept of working and improving his grades. it was easier and more stimulating to 'play' e-Bay and steal/sell to qualify this side-hobby. he got into the 'Net and couldn't be bothered to address life as he was expected to; perhaps he expected to be 'given' credits because he was intelligent. he may have even had the audacity to wonder why he had to PROVE his abilities.

Seems it was FAR easier to crib/cheat. When he realized life was not that easy after all, he forged his father's signature. He played the college off against his parents. When he saw he could get away with that, perhaps his previous dreams of his probable inheritance became "now" instead of "one day".

I think he was dismissive towards his parents. Maybe he was impatient with their questions and - basically - they would not shut-up. So he'd shut them up, himself. To be exposed was worse than getting an "F".

SheerLuck said:
Hi nanand jim; Chris is currently is Albany County jail on 24 hour watch. Sentencing is October 25th and he's facing 50 years to life. He's a sociopath in the worst possible way, so he needs a life sentence with no parole. Sad but true. In Porco's mind; he probably doesn't even realize he did anything wrong. Also sad but true. As for appeals; unfortunately Kindlon has said he will follow an appeal tomorrow so Joan might be hiring him to do more work. The appeal will go through probably because there is legal precedant that the headnod shouldn't have been allowed. But it was the timeline, the lack of alibi and the yellow jeep that got the conviction; not the head nod; so the appeal has almost no shot at winning Chris his freedom
I think that Joan will most definitely be paying for any and all appeals. I base that on the 48 Hours Mystery which I finally watched. I was going to delete it without watching after reading some of our posters' comments concerning the segment.

I'm glad that I watched it because I thought that it was very well done, heavily weighted in the prosecution's favor. Then, again, how could it not be when there was so much evidence against Chris?

Chris is a lot like the other murdering sociopaths we have followed throughout the years. His behavior is much like Scott Peterson's behavior. He lied to everyone, pretending to be something that he was not. I guess that it angered him that his parents were finally on to his behavior and calling him on it, so to speak. I guess that he thought if he could get rid of them, he could continue on with his ruse of being rich.

Even though a juror said that Joan's nod had nothing to do with the guilty verdict, that the jurors completely disregarded it, Chris made a point of saying that he knew that is what convicted him. I guess by saying this, he can keep his mother feeling guilty that she was the one who convicted him. Just like a sociopath...

The juror even said that she hoped that Chris would admit what he did and absolve his mother of any guilt that she may feel. Chris will never, ever admit his guilt, IMO, just like Scott Peterson won't.

ETA: I don't understand why Chris wasn't charged with first degree murder. This crime did not seem "spur of the moment." It appeared to be well planned.

SheerLuck said:

Part of this phone call was played on the 48 Hours Mystery segment. It was unreal. This guy sounds like he is inquiring about the weather, not his parents' supposed death.

nanandjim said:
Part of this phone call was played on the 48 Hours Mystery segment. It was unreal. This guy sounds like he is inquiring about the weather, not his parents' supposed death.

Thought exactly the same thing, nanandjim! He was totally disengaged!

SheerLuck said:
Here is the full phone call Porco made to the Bethlehem Police after the Times Union reported called his dorm room and told him his parents had died.

Zero emotion in him after just being told minutes before the call that his parents were found dead. Here's link if it works(it's eery; to say the least)

And, if memory serves me correctly, he didn't even call immediately, did he, SheerLuck! It was as if he gave a shoulder-shrug ... and waited. Lethal mind, this lad had...

The Albany Times Union and Capital News 9 are reporting that Terry Kindlon has filed a petition to set aside Chris Porco's conviction claiming juror misconduct. The Times Union had printed a story that a juror stated that they had shared notes which is against the rules. However the TU printed a retraction clairifying the initial story. This story is on the Times Union Web site. IMO this is just more defense spin. Kindlon stated (paraphrased) that because the jury deliberations were so short something was wrong. The jury was certainly more intelligent than he gave them credit for.

Jessica said:
The Albany Times Union and Capital News 9 are reporting that Terry Kindlon has filed a petition to set aside Chris Porco's conviction claiming juror misconduct. The Times Union had printed a story that a juror stated that they had shared notes which is against the rules. However the TU printed a retraction clairifying the initial story. .
Exactly; the story was retracted, so this is a laughable appeal. Kindlon's reputation continues to sink. I guess the head nod will be his ace in the hole; but for now here's Kindlon's first effort.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=534774&category=&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=11/13/2006

SheerLuck said:
Here's the Capitol News 9 article which has more about Kindlons claims of alleged juror "note sharing"

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=197629

Hi SheerLuck. Well, the Judge says Kindlon's attempts wont affect sentencing. It really 'gets' me that Def Atties will always try to enlist a 'crime' by the justice system (a technicality) as opposed to dealing with the actual crime and evidence itself.

It's no wonder their name appears to be sinking: this team seem obsessed with winning an appeal, finding fault in others or creating a problem that doesn't exist.

Sadly, CP cannot retract HIS crime; nothing's going to make the result of his choices go away.

Wonder how he's being received in jail by inmates, staff and visitors?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57
Back