NY - Christopher Porco - Another Menandez situation? - sentenced

SheerLuck,
Was he convicted of 2nd degree murder? Maybe its only life without parole for 1st degree? I have no idea,but I hope he doesn't see the light of day.

hockeymom said:
SheerLuck,
Was he convicted of 2nd degree murder? Maybe its only life without parole for 1st degree? I have no idea,but I hope he doesn't see the light of day.
Hi Hockeymom; I believe its 2nd degree, I think first degre is only killing cops? but you know as I think about it; he's 23 and has at least 40 or 50 years; so doubtful he ever gets out anyway; so justice has been served. Todays hearing and the impact statement from Patty was very touching and heartfelt and also compelling was the judges intelligient input, Joans statement and the statement from Chris. He showed a bit of emotion, which was surprising(if it was real). And to the Captain; along with Hockeymom; I also wish you and your family the very best. Heres video of Patty and the rest:

http://www.capitalnews9.com/shared/video/video_pop.asp?destlist=97083

http://www.capitalnews9.com/shared/video/video_pop.asp?destlist=97083

I agree that justice was served with the verdict of the jury and the sentencing by Judge Berry. I watched the procedings on Channel 9 and although Chris Porco displayed some slight emotion, I think he was feeling sorry for himself. His statement showed no remorse and he continued to blame others- the police and the media. My sympathy is with his family and in time I hope some healing occurs.

Dear Folks,

Yes, I am still here... and life goes on... Tuesday, sentencing day, felt very much like the internment of our entire family as we once knew it. Take for example our Christmas traditions for the past 20 years. We would all gather at Joan and Peter's home to celebrate, share a delicious meal, and exchange gifts the weekend before or after Christmas...At our last Christmas together, 2003, there were even our grandchildren present. It was a wonderful day, including Joan's brother and Peter's sister. This year, there will be no Christmas celebration together. Joan is recovering from surgery she had the day after the sentencing; the rest of us will be traveling to New Jersey for the funeral of another family member, and then return to our separate lives. Chris will be in Fishkill prison trying to convince everyone that it was was the police...it was the DA...it was his aunt...it was poor judgment and overconfidence on the part of his defense attorneys...it was the too emotionl and not quite intelligent jury...causing him to be adjudged guilty of crimes he "couldn't possibly have committed."

We all admire Joan's strength as she pleaded for leniency for Chris...so that he could go free in her lifetime. She and Peter could never have raised a son who would have tried to murder them. Loving parents everywhere can understand that it would be such a devastion to have a child who turned out to be so corrupted to his/her core.

Patty, in her dignifed manner, spoke for all of us of the horror and tragedy of Peter's death. Chris' last demented act, as he left his Brockley Drive home, was to cut the telephone wire, and in effect, cut any lifeline that Peter might have had as he walked through his home for the last time. Patty made Peter's agonizing death so real to us again. She also made the public realize that she has been made the scapegoat for Chris' prosecution and conviction by Joan. Joan's rejection of her in-laws is as painful to Peter's mother and siblings as Peter's horrific death at the hands of his son.

Our once close-knit family has unravelled. I wish I could tell you that we will recover.. we won't. We will re-arrange our bonds but we will be forever segmented.

Many families have experienced worse tragedies, more pain, more loss. We now can understand more fully what others suffer at the hands of fate. We now appreciate what we had so much more than we did when we had such an idyllic extended family. We are grateful that we shared so much with each other.

Chris' parole date is 5/16/2049... What a waste of a life, extraordinary talents, and missed opportunities!

Thank you for listening to me! I fear that I will want to reach out to you in the future when Kindlon/Shanks try to pull off their appeal with more treachery, deceit, and false accusations.

Wishing you all the love that comes with this spiritual season and those with whom you share it!

Dear Sacandaga Captain,

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with your family. Peter sounds like such a nice man who was trying desperately to help his son grow up to be a good man as well. I have to believe that Chris is a sociopath and not someone who just snapped. If Chris had been just a little more human, while he still might have irrationally resented his parents for the situation he put himself in, he may have grown up one day to realize how much his parents loved him and how lucky he was to have them.

I admit to being frustrated that Joan has allowed herself to be victimized again by Chris and his attorneys. Laying awake after reading your post tonight, I realized something. If it was me and my husband had been murdered and I brutally attacked and marked for death by my son, I am not sure that my psyche could handle that truth. This may be an unconscious bid for survival on Joan's part. However, I pray that some time in the future there is reconciliation between Joan and Peter's side of the family. You all have suffered too much loss already.

If Chris' attorneys were human at all they would stop going to Joan to help with his appeals.

I also pray that the God of all comfort continues to wrap his arms around all those who love and miss Peter.
Knicksgal

What a fascinating trial and list of evidence. I read through all 345 pages of the 6 hour interview, even though it was not admissable at trial, as well as pretty much every other transcript and news article. One thing that puzzled me until today was the key in the door, given that Peter had gone out the front door while he was going through his early morning routine. I couldn't figure out how Peter had put the key in the door but it turns out the key is from the planter, the hide a key. Going back to the interview with Chris, it's clear to me that Chris is trying to direct the police to think that a friend may have learned where the hide a key was and entered the house. That's why Chris left the key in the door. Also, another very interesting clue is the cheque left in the top tray of the dish washer that is otherwise filled with clean dishes. I think Peter was trying to leave a message or maybe in his confusion, he thought that he was throwing the cheque away and put it in the dishwasher instead of the garbage. I think that action does tell us that Peter was aware that Chris was the attacker.

Altogether, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Chris did attack his parents. Without the 6 hour interview transcript, there could be a lot of debate about what exactly was what, but when you hear Chris describe his actions in the 3 days prior to the murder and then learn the facts from witnesses, it's pretty obvious that Chris was doing whatever he could to misdirect the investigation. And reading murder mysteries of people that kill their families while in the waiting room while his mother is undergoing surgery is absolutely unbelievable. The guy just didn't see the world like most of the rest of us. I wonder what he whispered in his mother's ear.

5/16/2049--his parole date--nice to see that he'll be locked up until then--although hopefully he'll die in prison before that day--prison ages you fast and Porco will be 65 to 70 in 2049------Otto nice post---and Scandanga Captain I wish you the very best in the future

Peter Hamilton said:
5/16/2049--his parole date--nice to see that he'll be locked up until then--although hopefully he'll die in prison before that day--prison ages you fast and Porco will be 65 to 70 in 2049------Otto nice post---and Scandanga Captain I wish you the very best in the future

Chris is a bright guy so he can still make something of himself, even in prison. He seems to have an interest in murder mystery so he could even write a book, although I did notice that he had some difficulties with spelling throughout his emails (eg: cieling). He could also study law and advise prisoners on their rights or advocate for them. I think that Chris often discussed law with his father and I also think that Chris came to believe that he understood law better than his father. I think Chris was well aware of clues at a crime scene and tried to manipulate the entire scene. I also think the police had it right when the initially suggested that Chris was always trying to keep up with his brother, and I do think that came a little bit from his mom. Different children have different strengths and interests but it seems that Joan did want Chris to follow in John's footsteps, even suggesting that Chris should have the same study schedule as John.

Reading this case, in addition to the Peterson case, I am starting to understand the sociopathic personality. Both Chriis and Scott were described as being so helpful, overly polite, pathological liars (as part of their double life), prone to delusions of grandeur, convinced that they were intellectually superior and schemed to eliminate their real lives so they could live out their imaginery one. Reading the characteristics of a sociopath doesn't quite make it as real for me as seeing a couple of real life examples. It's interesting that his parents were so giving, so that is the personality facade that Chris adopted. I think that made it even more difficult to recognize the sociopath beneath.

Christopher Porco has been transferred to Clinton Correctional Facility...north of Plattsburgh, NY. It's also called Danemora. It is the oldest and largest maximum security prison in NYS. I am struck by the reality of the punishment and the life that Christopher will endure. Even Peter would cry for his son... It took the Justice system to finally make Christopher responsible for his "bad acts." (His mother's term for his burglaries, forgeries and credit/loan thefts) Peter and Joan were never able to call him to task for his lies...they so wanted to believe him; and, in him. They loved him unconditionally; thereby facilitating the growth of his psychopathic behavior. So many of us parents have done the same with our children...always hoping that love "will conquer all." Let this be a message to all of us who would forgive our children without imposing some punishment for "bad behavior." The first lesson we need to teach our children is that there are consequences (good and bad) for all behavior and we will make sure we are up to imposing those consequences...before the Justice system has to.

This guy is taking a poll on whether or not he should write a book about this case. He wrote one about another local case, "Every Move You Make" about Gary Evans from Troy, NY and it was very well done.

http://www.crimerant.com/?p=935

Christopher Porco has been transferred to Clinton Correctional Facility...north of Plattsburgh, NY. It's also called Danemora. It is the oldest and largest maximum security prison in NYS. I am struck by the reality of the punishment and the life that Christopher will endure. Even Peter would cry for his son... It took the Justice system to finally make Christopher responsible for his "bad acts." (His mother's term for his burglaries, forgeries and credit/loan thefts) Peter and Joan were never able to call him to task for his lies...they so wanted to believe him; and, in him. They loved him unconditionally; thereby facilitating the growth of his psychopathic behavior. So many of us parents have done the same with our children...always hoping that love "will conquer all." Let this be a message to all of us who would forgive our children without imposing some punishment for "bad behavior." The first lesson we need to teach our children is that there are consequences (good and bad) for all behavior and we will make sure we are up to imposing those consequences...before the Justice system has to.

I have not been following this case so how are you related to the family?

Dear Slueths,

It is with much sadness that I report the death of another Porco Family member: Peter's sister, Patty Szostak. Most of you will remember that Patty attended every day of her nephew's trial with quiet dignity. Her character and reputation was smudged with the lies Kindlon told the media about Patty... 'She raced around Albany with another female in a red convertable, drinking alcohol, and celebrating the guilty verdict.' While in reality, Patty and her husband were in Goshen cleaning out the trailer loaned to her by a friend so she could have living accomodation while in Goshen.

Chris was sentenced in December of 2006. Just a few months later, Patty was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. From that time forward, Patty fought a courageous and awe-inspiring battle against the ravages of the desease and the chemotherapy. Patty died last Friday, July 11, 2008.
Here is her obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/Brattleboro/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=113203963

Sacandaga Captain

Aw, this was such a sad case. I'm sorry to hear there's more pain in the family. Thanks for the update.

Dear Slueths,

It is with much sadness that I report the death of another Porco Family member: Peter's sister, Patty Szostak. Most of you will remember that Patty attended every day of her nephew's trial with quiet dignity. Her character and reputation was smudged with the lies Kindlon told the media about Patty... 'She raced around Albany with another female in a red convertable, drinking alcohol, and celebrating the guilty verdict.' While in reality, Patty and her husband were in Goshen cleaning out the trailer loaned to her by a friend so she could have living accomodation while in Goshen.

Chris was sentenced in December of 2006. Just a few months later, Patty was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. From that time forward, Patty fought a courageous and awe-inspiring battle against the ravages of the desease and the chemotherapy. Patty died last Friday, July 11, 2008.
Here is her obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/Brattleboro/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=113203963

Sacandaga Captain
Thank you for letting us know. This is so very sad. I followed the trial very closely. I never me Patty. However, I felt like I knew her. I liked her and I admired her. I am not surpised to learn that she meditated, etc. She seemed to have that sort of special presence. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. Good Lord - her poor Mother!

Captain,
My sincere condolences to the entire family on your loss. Patty was such a dignified presence through out the trial. My prayers are with you.

I know that you will remember this case...but, for those who are curious about the on-going happenings in this case, visit this site for the appeal notice and info:
http://timesunion.com/ss.asp?s=774641&c=REGION&b=

You will notice that the defense-counsel, Kindlon, is sure that this (the appeal) will work...whereas his defense at trial did not work, to free a guilty person. This is the point where the Porco-roller coaster has crested a peak and is about to suffer vertigo as the ride continues.

I know that you will remember this case...but, for those who are curious about the on-going happenings in this case, visit this site for the appeal notice and info:
http://timesunion.com/ss.asp?s=774641&c=REGION&b=

You will notice that the defense-counsel, Kindlon, is sure that this (the appeal) will work...whereas his defense at trial did not work, to free a guilty person. This is the point where the Porco-roller coaster has crested a peak and is about to suffer vertigo as the ride continues.
Who is paying Kindlon to handle the appeal! IMO, it is a waste of money because I don't see how they can win.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chec0
Back