Take A Step Back Or Be Banned **READ THIS AGAIN**

Here is the way it is.
Attacking each other is just never allowed.

LP examples:
Not ok
LP is a worthless piece of cow dung that keeps injecting himself into cases for his own satisfaction. He makes me puke.

yes ok
Lp's motivations seem suspect to me because he is always on TV and doesn't finish what he starts. He seems to get involved when no one else will. I wonder what that is about?

One more thing: You all have simply got to alert. It helps us more than you know.

snipped

But you know what JBean, I find that even clean criticism of LP is met with "uh, here we go again. Zip it. If you don't like LP don't watch NG. No more bashing. It's old and tired.... "

LP makes comments on just about a daily basis. So there's a chance that just about daily some posters may feel the need to scrutinize what he said! I just get tired of being called a basher cuz I think he's worn out his usefulness.

I have always found it useful when you feel uptight about comments on a thread - to put on something shiny and dance!!!~~~

Thats what I do when I want to hit my computer! Tea & dancing, so Radio shall we do what David Bowie says and, "Put on our red shoes and dance" I'll start the soul train line up and, "Lets Dance" :crazy:

snipped

But you know what JBean, I find that even clean criticism of LP is met with "uh, here we go again. Zip it. If you don't like LP don't watch NG. No more bashing. It's old and tired.... "

LP makes comments on just about a daily basis. So there's a chance that just about daily some posters may feel the need to scrutinize what he said! I just get tired of being called a basher cuz I think he's worn out his usefulness.
People are entitled to respond to the criticisms of LP or anyone else. if the posts are personal in nature and attacking you for criticizing LP then don't respond,alert, and scroll by. If you are making the same criticisms over and over and over in a thread and you know it is upsetting people, you will probably be met with resistance so don't be surprised.

It is also important to remember that it takes at least 2 to argue. The funny thing is even if one person continually tried to start arguments on the board, but everyone just kept scrolling by and ignoring that poster, no bickering would materialize because no one would argue back.
When we were kids and we argued, invariably one of us would say, "yeah but she started it!". My dad would always look at us and say, "Then you finish it" and that is good advice.

The funny thing is even if one person continually tried to start arguments on the board, but everyone just kept scrolling by and ignoring that poster, no bickering would materialize because no one would argue back.

I'm repeating what many have said: this is a very, very well moderated forum. I have read and participated in forums, going back to my very first experience on the Internet, Justice Watch for the Jon Benet Ramsey case.

Being my first experience on the internet, period, it started out as something very unique, very bonding in it's goals and nature. I had no idea that such good, real friendships could be made on the internet. But I witnessed in a few years what can happen when games, sides, etc start up. Not pretty.

I dropped off all forums for some time. But my interest in Jon Benet never ceased, and as other cases came along I started reading forums that were available without registering. I read here for years. I recognized many names from from those early days, but this forum I believe learned how to be fair, non partisan with it's members, let all viewpoints be presented, and I believe even more importantly, learned to separate the need to have case discussion with more personal discussion a la parking lot, jury room etc. I think that is brilliant.

I commend the mods, as I am fully aware their job is not to be taken lightly, but we as members of this forum have a responsibly to be sure we keep posts free from personal attacks. We make this forum what it is. Magnificent, and a solid resource for all cases, not just Caylee.

I admit, I do one thing from the old days, and JBean made me laugh, as the part of the post I quoted is my mantra which our younger members will not understand.

Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, keep those doggies scrolling.....Rawhide!

Mollie aka Longhorn of old

Thanks Mollie..some excellent points.
We used to post Scrolling,scrolling scrolling, keep those doggies scrolling........Goodbye!

LOL thanks again :blowkiss:

Those of you that are bashing other posters on this thread are blowing my mind.
If someone offends you, alert and move on to the next post. It really is that simple.

I guess I believe that just because a post is offensive to me,due to my experiences ,it doesn't mean the poster meant it as an offensive comment. I'm sure my inexperience in certain areas has annoyed others,but I didn't mean to.

I guess I believe that just because a post is offensive to me,due to my experiences ,it doesn't mean the poster meant it as an offensive comment. I'm sure my inexperience in certain areas has annoyed others,but I didn't mean to.
I totally agree with you MJ and that shouldn;t be confused with bashing people at all.
However :)
I remember one time, i was going around with a poster about another topic here. I wasn't paying close enough attention to that poster's mindset, because what I didn't realize is that she at some point had stopped talking about the topic and was talking about herself. I don't mean on a conscious level. She so strongly identified with the woman that was the topic of the thread, that she was taking all the opinions and statements personally as though we were talking about HER rather than about the lady in the topic. I actually ended up getting as time out because it got heated. :innocent: but it wasn't until later that I realized i should have been more sensitive to what was happening.

I have to say JBean....your very early posts just cracked me up. I'm sorry. Did someone really call you a D****-bag? How very D****-baggish of them :)

You mods need a huge raise!

What a great post!
You sound like a really cool person.. I bet your mind keeps you busy! :blowkiss:

It's not so bad when it keeps me busy, but when other people are forced to endure it, I feel a little bad. :crazy: :woohoo:

:blowkiss:

I have to say JBean....your very early posts just cracked me up. I'm sorry. Did someone really call you a D****-bag? How very D****-baggish of them :)

You mods need a huge raise!
yes they did. It is still on my profile visitor page . I left it up, but it's pages back.

I say if the d***bag fits ...wear it. So I do :)

If I didn't have this site to share my thoughts and feelings with aloud, I would be left with only one option. To talk aloud to myself and to my cats. If word got out that I did this, a padded room could soon be in my future. And I'm quite sure my cats won't be invited.
Thanks all for listening to my rants, then politely moving on to the next post without bashing me for mine!:blowkiss:

I also talk aloud to my cat(s) and they listen and sometimes respond (in one way or another, but always with courtesy), and I dare anyone to call that crazy! LOL

Thanks, JBean, & all the mods for maintaining an ambiance of mutual respect!

Mine is full of stuff. A dish of very old left-over spaghetti, a bowl of congealed gravy, another bowl of some slimey substance that may have once been salad. On the other hands, my cupboards are practically empty which makes them much easier to clean.....someday soon.
lol chilly .. you remind me of one of those blow up clowns that pop right back up when you knock them down .. i love your posts

I really hope this is okay!

First, Websleuths is an amazingly well run board. The mods do a great job, they keep the peace without coming off like a bunch of mind-numbed automatons. Let me just say kudos to that! It would be really hard for me to do with the number of posts you guys have to read.

Secondly, I think people have a weird idea about other poster's feelings. I am one of those people that likes to equate things to film:

Anyone seen Donnie Darko? There's a "Self Help" guru in the film who likes to say that all emotions come from either a place of fear, or a place of love. One or the other, no exceptions. Well if you've seen the film, you're likely to have come to the conclusion that most people have, that human emotions are far too complicated to be boiled down to one emotion or another. Most people who feel strongly about something have many emotions about that subject, and sometimes, no I would say that most of the time, those emotions can be conflicting.

When reading a post, I think it's helpful to realize that no one is posting completely from a compassionate viewpoint, or a completely hateful one. Your emotions are not that simple... don't sell yourself short! If you were posting from a completely compassionate viewpoint, would you not also have compassion for the emotions that your fellow users are posting from? If you were posting from a completely hateful point of view, don't you think that that would spill over when you disagree with others to them personally?

I have seen very few posts that do the latter two. It's as though, in the course of being compassionate, people forget that the people they're addressing deserve that compassion as well, because they are often hurting, their heart is really kind of on their sleeve. And as for the hateful posts, I rarely see people jumping in to say "You suck for your point of view!", and the ones that I have seen are gone rather quickly.

The people that are begging for compassion are right. It would be nice if every post could be filled with compassion for all involved. But the reality is, not even their posts are all about compassion. The human psyche doesn't boil down to one emotion or the other. Hateful posts? Those that want to challenge people for even having a difference of opinion are quickly deleted, and those that are just 'bashing' a player seem few and far between, rather people are feeling a negative feeling and tend to commiserate about it. The problem comes when you stop saying 'why' and start slapping a label on whatever you're trying to express.

Lastly, I'd have to say that almost all of the posters on Websleuths are compassionate people (I'm only saying 'almost' because unlike the mods, I cannot possibly read every post here!). Their compassion just focuses differently. Unless someone's managed to get through to join the board and they're a troll, and I don't think they last long. Everyone here cares, it's what they want to focus on that seems to be the bone of contention. How about just valuing your fellow sleuthers for being compassionate, no matter where that compassion goes? And how about stopping the hateful labeling (and I'm not counting psychiatric diagnoses or possible ones!) and saying what's bothering you and why? I -love- all of the opinions here. It's such a broad spectrum of the population, and it's eye opening to see how much we all really -agree-! Take some comfort in the things we agree on! The things we don't agree on are just fodder for perusal of our personal belief systems. And challenging those is never a bad idea. They either become stronger or they change to better benefit you. :)

:blowkiss: I love it here! I'm so grateful that I found all of you!

Shalya-I hope my responce to your post comes across the way I intend it to...(with compassion and kindness) and not an ironic example of just what the thread title was all about....I like to equate real life to film too.
First off, Movies are my number one passion!!! The more obscure, the better. I LOVE "Donnie Darko"and have such high hopes for the sequel to be released later this year!!! (Fingers crossed) But, wanted to say, (in the original film) remember that FEAR and LOVE were on opposite ends of the spectrum. The teacher read various senerio's and the asked the class where they personally would put each suggested senerio onto the "lifeline" spectrum. Not black and white.

On a personal note, are you a true movie lover too? I LOVE to chat about film. PM me perhaps? :blowkiss:

I don't know where else to post this. It's Thursday, 4/16...just under midnight. Only 4 people are logged on??? and in addition, 95% of the threads are LOCKED. I feel stupid. Like I showed up for my own party 6 hours too late. What have I missed? Is something going on here?...

I don't know where else to post this. It's Thursday, 4/16...just under midnight. Only 4 people are logged on??? and in addition, 95% of the threads are LOCKED. I feel stupid. Like I showed up for my own party 6 hours too late. What have I missed? Is something going on here?...
You were probably in the wrong forum.

Mine is full of stuff. A dish of very old left-over spaghetti, a bowl of congealed gravy, another bowl of some slimey substance that may have once been salad. On the other hands, my cupboards are practically empty which makes them much easier to clean.....someday soon.

:eek:fftopic: But important none the less! :idea:

are you sure you weren't looking in my fridge, not yours? :confused:

This is a little trick I figured out after joining WS. I realized I had tossed several of my best containers rather than dealing with the mess inside. :sick:

Here's a way to save the dishes and get rid of the slimey stuff without pitching my cookies in the process. :yuck: I put the container in the freezer for a few days (hours or weeks work too) :gavel: When I feel confident it is as frozen as it will get I run a little hot water over the outside of the sealed container, just to loosen the grip, take a deep breath, remove the lid and dump the offending material into a plastic zip lock bag and quickly seal. :yuck: Now take your *bleach cleanser spray and saturate the bowl well. The only odor you should smell is bleach. After a few minutes fill the offensive container with hot water, dump, then stick it in the dish washer. So far mine have come out good as new every time. :) I'm sure hot *soapy water would work just as well, but that would mean touching it and I prefer not to if I can help it. :sick:

I time this so I can run the dishwasher that day. Also I only do this on trash day, so the offensive bag goes straight out to the garbage for pick up. If this is not convenient for you you can also place the well marked baggie :yuck: (skull and cross bones are appropriate) in the freezer till trash day. Last time the garbage truck came by before I got outside so I placed the baggie in my neighbors empty can as a way to say "thank you for being the special neighbor you are". It's a long story.... :biggrin:

*Never, ever use ammonia when cleaning anything with bleach, despite what Annie said about making chloroform, it doesn't. It takes very little and it produces a chloramine gas results which can cause coughing, dizziness, confusion, loss of voice, loss of consciousness, feeling of burning in mucus membranes and suffocation, scarring in lungs and even death. :eek:

If I didn't have this site to share my thoughts and feelings with aloud, I would be left with only one option. To talk aloud to myself and to my cats. If word got out that I did this, a padded room could soon be in my future. And I'm quite sure my cats won't be invited.
Thanks all for listening to my rants, then politely moving on to the next post without bashing me for mine!:blowkiss:

You mean we're not suppose to walk around an empty house talking to our cats? :eek: Well, there is a padded cell in my future. LOL

You mean we're not suppose to walk around an empty house talking to our cats? :eek: Well, there is a padded cell in my future. LOL

Do you think you can make that room a double?

If it weren't for the pets I wouldn't need to use my voice for weeks on end. I could lose my voice and never know! and hey, if I don't talk to the cats; who else is going to tell them how wonderful they are?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey
Back