The term "Black Hole" is now racist

This has to be the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. It ranks up there with the beauty queen and her ed-u-mi-cation........ idiots.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/our-own-niggard.html

Remember a few years back, when a white aide to the then-mayor of Washington, DC, got canned for using the word "niggardly" in a budget briefing? A couple of African-American colleagues present thought he'd used a racial slur; the word actually means "miserly." Because the black colleagues were ignorant of the word's meaning, the aide lost his job -- though he was later rehired under pressure from, among others, Julian Bond of the NAACP, who said, "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding." more on link

People are overly sensitive when it comes to words. Remember the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones BUT words will never hurt me"? I live by this and have taught both of my daughters the same. You can call me any name in the book and it will not irk me in the least. Most of the time I will thank you for it, you should see some of the strange looks I receive.
If more people would follow this and develop a thicker skin instead of a victim complex our world would be a better place. JMHO

People are overly sensitive when it comes to words. Remember the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones BUT words will never hurt me"? I live by this and have taught both of my daughters the same. You can call me any name in the book and it will not irk me in the least. Most of the time I will thank you for it, you should see some of the strange looks I receive.
If more people would follow this and develop a thicker skin instead of a victim complex our world would be a better place. JMHO

That's pretty much how I feel too.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/our-own-niggard.html

Remember a few years back, when a white aide to the then-mayor of Washington, DC, got canned for using the word "niggardly" in a budget briefing? A couple of African-American colleagues present thought he'd used a racial slur; the word actually means "miserly." Because the black colleagues were ignorant of the word's meaning, the aide lost his job -- though he was later rehired under pressure from, among others, Julian Bond of the NAACP, who said, "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding." more on link

This case leapt to my mind also when I read that. I am amazed at the level of ignorance and poor vocabulary in so many of our supposedly educated citizens. I used the word "engender" in a meeting the other day and someone actually interrupted me midsentence in my presentation and asked me to define "engender". I provided a synonym or two (to create and develop, etc), and tried to continue, this moron then insisted that I needed to find a new word for the presentation, "because gender had nothing to do with it". :bang:

This case leapt to my mind also when I read that. I am amazed at the level of ignorance and poor vocabulary in so many of our supposedly educated citizens. I used the word "engender" in a meeting the other day and someone actually interrupted me midsentence in my presentation and asked me to define "engender". I provided a synonym or two (to create and develop, etc), and tried to continue, this moron then insisted that I needed to find a new word for the presentation, "because gender had nothing to do with it". :bang:

OMG...that really happened. How stupid was that person. Ohhh I would LOVED them to have said that to me I tell you:mad:
Bloody idiots everywhere I swear!

What if you refuse to eat spicy food while talking about a black hole? Then what?

Funny. He just exposed his extreme degree of ignorance of simple science, rather than racism. I don't think it's any more than that.

i suppose the movies Black Hole and Black Sunday and Men in Black are also racist...i have all 3 movies in my house!!! omg!!!

but i eat spicy food, really spicy foods, so i guess im even LOL

What if you refuse to eat spicy food while talking about a black hole? Then what?

You are prejudiced against Mexicans AND Black Americans.:crazy:

Black hole is prejudiced???

What about WHITE NOISE???

I am truly tired of such bullchittery. :)

When the world becomes so argumentative and policitical that people can't use vocabulary then even intelligent people will become ignorant and full of anxiety over every word they say in public or at home.

I think the black hole was not in that office, but in the void between the man's ears.

Political correctness has always been laughable, imo. Words are going to offend. It is what words do. No matter who says them, no matter the actual meaning, and no matter how much we try to avoid it. Someone will wind up offended. So what?! Get over it! Flip 'em off and get on with your day.

"Black Hole" is a scientific term for a void in space.:doh: It's also what we call my front closet because there is so much in it, you can't find anything! When somebody's looking for something in my house the answer usually is, "It's in the Black Hole!". Nothing racist there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back