GUILTY TX - Mollie Olgin, 19, killed, GF injured in Portland assault, 23 June 2012

I put "Two girls in a relationship" as the title instead because it sounded less sensational than the msnbc title of "lesbian teen girls" while giving relevant information as to gender and relationship; which are both important.

She did talk about having a crazy ex girlfriend on one of her personal sites that I posted then deleted earlier. I don't know if it was wrong of me to post it it just felt wrong.

I rather like how you handle it here. You're not naming the ex or accusing her of the crime, but you are pointing out that these young women had full lives and we just don't know yet why they were targeted.

You handled it well and as sensitively as possible, if you ask me.

I think if we or the media DON'T mention that the victims were in a relationship, then we imply there's something so awful about a lesbian couple it must be kept secret. As I posted above, the media would certainly mention the relationship if the victims were a man and a woman.

FWIW, my mom's best friend from the late 60's until her death was a gay man, who I am still good friends with. He spent a lot of time in the 70's and 80's in "the ramble" in Central Park, hooking up with other gay men. He was mugged and beaten several times. He said the reason criminals targeted the gays is because they are less likely to go to LE (this guy was an LEO at the time, and closeted). So this may not be a hate crime, I guess. Very sad, regardless of the motive.
JMO

The police chief does not believe it was a hate crime. He does feel they may have been targeted. Knowing the group that the girl hung out with, both straight and gay, I cannot imagine for the life of me who would have targeted them. Mollie was a serious college student at Texas A&M Corpus Christi. She was going to college on a full scholarship she received for good grades in high school. They were low key girls, both serious students, both worked. Nobody I know that knew them can imagine who would do this if indeed they were targeted.

He said there was no sign of a hate crime, I don't remember him stating he didn't believe it was. It does seem obvious they were targeted, whether or not it was because they were gay may have to wait until Chapa can confer with police.

The place might have been the target, not the girls in particular, as same sex couples are known to gather there.

The articles I have been following say nothing about motive? How can you speak to motive at this point?

The very fact that the title of the thread and the news coverage focus on the "relationship" status of these young ladies implies that some think or assume that their sexuality may be part of the motive for their murders in some way.

ETA I am not sure how those folks arrive at that conclusion or theory. I avoided this thread yesterday simply because of the title, which caused my immediate thought "what the heck does their being in a relationship have to do with the shooting??" I am not a gay person but I try to be sensitive to all and I found the coverage of the young ladies sexuality a bit offensive since we have no indication thus far that it played a role in what happened.

I think Its quite obvious IMO why someone would be of the mindset that this was possibly due to these two young girls being gay.. sadly the prejudice and bullying is rampant in some areas even much worse than others.. obviously that possibility is not so far fetched with there being a local posting here that stated that this area is somewhere where the bullying and prejudice against being gay is an issue..jmo..

Regardless of the why IMO no reason will suffice what's been done to these two young girls.. its a tragedy, period..

Bullying and prejudice is a far cry from double murder. Ever watch 'Snapped'?
Two cases shown recently of jilted lesbian lovers going homicidal, or they may have witnessed something illicit, as suggested earlier.

The very fact that the title of the thread and the news coverage focus on the "relationship" status of these young ladies implies that some think or assume that their sexuality may be part of the motive for their murders in some way.

The title of the news articles is sensationalism. IMply and Assume have no real value.

If this turns out to be a crime committed by an ex, will the headlines read 'Lesbian Goes on Shooting Spree'? I sure hope not.

But it's also a news room gimmick to grab your attention.

ETA I am not sure how those folks arrive at that conclusion or theory. I avoided this thread yesterday simply because of the title, which caused my immediate thought "what the heck does their being in a relationship have to do with the shooting??" I am not a gay person but I try to be sensitive to all and I found the coverage of the young ladies sexuality a bit offensive since we have no indication thus far that it played a role in what happened.

You are right that we don't know.

But the media and posters here would mention it if a boyfriend and a girlfriend were attacked. This is no different.

I know your intentions are good; however, hiding gay relationships doesn't do us any favors, IMO.

Political correctness sometimes leads us down the slippery slope of coming across as racist, homophobic, or having gender bias.

I agree with Nova. It wouldn't matter if it was a heterosexual relationship or not. I have seen many titles of husband and wife found murdered, boyfriend and girlfriend, or even to friends found murdered. Knowing the relationship of the victims is important.

It makes me sad that we have to be so worried about what to say or how to say it.

Another girl was found this morning about 10am near the waters edge, beside a nice neighborhood in Aransas Pass, Tx. It is about 10 miles from where Mollie was found. The one today hasn't been identified but they think it's a 16 year old girl that's been missing since Monday. Her family showed up at the crime scene about 2 hours ago and is waiting word.

http://www.caller.com/news/2012/jun...body-near-fin-and-feathe/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Perhaps a work of a serial killer?

Another girl was found this morning about 10am near the waters edge, beside a nice neighborhood in Aransas Pass, Tx. It is about 10 miles from where Mollie was found. The one today hasn't been identified but they think it's a 16 year old girl that's been missing since Monday. Her family showed up at the crime scene about 2 hours ago and is waiting word.

http://www.caller.com/news/2012/jun...body-near-fin-and-feathe/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Only ten miles away? That area has a low murder rate from what I have heard here.
The police do not think it is related.

http://www.kristv.com/news/local-law-enforcement-looking-for-killer-of-aransas-pass-teen/

Thelma, they are saying they don't think it's related, but they won't say how the Aransas Pass girl died. They just said she had a significant injury and there was a lot of blood. If she was shot like the others, I believe LE is afraid to let people know at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back