Winter Storm Jonas - Jan. 2016

I'm in the Pittsburgh area so we aren't expected to get too much. It hasn't started snowing here yet.

But I'll tell you, working in an airport location hotel, it has been great for business with all the cancelled flights.

We are starting to get blanketed here in south jersey.......can't wait to wake up and look out the window in the morning.......it gets sooooooooo quiet.

Then I have to disturb the snow to make " poopy trails.......lol.

About an inch so far, north of Philly, but no wind which is odd since the wind has been a terror for about 3 weeks now.

Snowing in Northern Delaware. Oh heck. They raised the snow totals to 24+ inches in our area. With the wind blowing, all the shoveled snow will just drift back. Winds are 25-35 with expected gusts of 50 mph later Saturday.

44 on Tuesday!!! Do I predict melting?

Please be safe, all who are in the path of this winter storm.

BDE, I hope you are feeling better and your cruise goes well. What a way to start. :hug:

Ok.....got the doggy out this morning.....holding him in my arms as I shoveled a pee spot...but he hopped around in the snow to find his own spot. Snow clings to his little poodle legs.
Not looking forward to poop time....I'm not ready to shovel yet !

I just realized sitting here now how easy this shoveling is going to be.

See...a few days ago I stumbled upon a diary, online, written in 1847. It is Patrick Breen's diary. Patrick was in the Donner Party !!!. Yeah, yikes. This snow ain't nutin.

I am super prepared for the storm! so don't be surprised if Jonas doesn't show up in the Philly/South Jersey area ;)

We aren't getting anything but if we were..................... Stay safe and warm East Coasters.

w14keu.jpg

ETA: [video]http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/20/living/milk-bread-toilet-paper-snow-feat/index.html[/video]

Winter storm inundates the Mid-Atlantic and East Coast
By Joshua Berlinger and Dave Alsup, CNN Jan 23, 2016

(CNN)Up to 85 million people are in the path of a worsening winter storm that's hit much of the East Coast of the United States.

Snow is coming down, but when the storm goes into the Atlantic on Saturday morning, it will supercharge, CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers said.

"The fuse was just lit," Myers said. Once it gets to the jet stream, "that's when the firecracker goes off."

map_specnewsdct-06_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Here are the latest developments as of 2:50 a.m. ET:

-- Two people died Friday night in traffic accidents linked to inclement weather in North Carolina, said spokeswoman Olivia James of the State Emergency Response Team.

-- Philadelphia has issued a code blue for overnight Friday into Saturday. This means anyone who spots homeless people out in the cold should call the police, who will take them to a shelter.

-- 10 states have all declared states of emergency due to the storm as of Friday. They are: Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and West Virginia. Washington has declared a "snow emergency."

By the numbers:

Eight people dead nationwide
Six fatalities were North Carolina, one in Virginia and one in Kentucky
132,739 customers without power across the Southeast as of Friday, with 125,000 in the Carolinas, according to Duke Energy.
8,835 flights canceled from Friday through Sunday.
989 traffic crashes and 793 disabled vehicles responded to by Virginia State Police as of late Friday night
18-40 inches. That's how much snow some areas areas could receive, according to meteorologists.
55 mph wind gusts possible in Norfolk, Virginia.

Outside of Philly we SEEM to have 8/10", but it's hard to tell. The wind is gusting pretty good, blowing it all around, over, under, around and through places people tried to plow. You can see no progress except higher mounds of snow. I've seen worse storms up past Watertown, NY, and even in PA, but this one is definitely nasty and it ain't over yet.

On a lighter note, I have a nice pot of clam chowder cooking, my special pasta sauce with rigatoni, a big bottle of whiskey and plenty of cigarettes. When all else fails, I still have TV, a soft sofa with a warm throw.

Happy trails to all out there, but don't go out unless your life is in the balance, and if you do, it might be. Take it from someone who lived in COLD climes with lots of snow. It can be fascinating and fun, but the results ain't always pretty, even for those who think they know what they're doing.

I just heard I'm getting 2" an hour-so 24" plus. Me and my sister geared up to clear off the car and realized we left the scraper in my daughters car, lol.

Anyway here is webcams on NBC

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/

I just heard I'm getting 2" an hour-so 24" plus. Me and my sister geared up to clear off the car and realized we left the scraper in my daughters car, lol.

Anyway here is webcams on NBC

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/

If you don't have a scrapper, you can use a teflon/silicon pancake turner. Works just as well, but at the end you may not be able to turn pancakes with it. Been there, done that, LOL

We only got 2-3 inches last night. I did just talk to a friend about an hour east of Pittsburgh and she said they got about 14 inches! What a difference!
6ba60a6e99999060c8592113ac726df3.jpg

Greetings from Northern Delaware. We have about 12" of snow, but the wind is blowing it, so kinda hard to tell. There was a lull this morning for about an hour so DH decided to shovel. It is now snowing again pretty heavily. It looks pretty...

Careful with all of the shoveling if you have to do it manually. Moving snow is hard work. Keep an eye on sig others!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back