Winter Storm Jonas - Jan. 2016

I just realized sitting here now how easy this shoveling is going to be.

See...a few days ago I stumbled upon a diary, online, written in 1847. It is Patrick Breen's diary. Patrick was in the Donner Party !!!. Yeah, yikes. This snow ain't nutin.

Enjoy! I love history!

Here in extreme East Tennessee, it stopped snowing around 5-6pm. We've had about 4-6 inches join the 3-4 inches that were waiting on it from Wednesday! We are on our fourth 'snow day' here. The kids only had school on Tuesday.

We're at 20" and still coming down.
Travel ban to be lifted at 7 am.

Ok, I've had enough. LOL.

I'm not sure if Websleuths will allow you to change your name to momoffiveboys in September !

:floorlaugh:

Hahaha!!! Not a chance!
My boys were all born in January. FYI. LOL.

No. I stocked up in preparation.

Ummmm ... Glad you have " stocked up". Is that what they're calling it these days?

:floorlaugh:

All done. Just under 30 inches, officially the largest snowfall ever to fall here in one mighty swoop.

JerseyGirl......did you dodge getting flooded? I read this AM that parts of NJ were hit with serious floods as well as that remarkable amount of snow. Hope you're warm and dry.

Winter Storm Jonas: Deadly System Burying East Coast (PHOTOS)

HSYy6TH.jpg

Winter Storm Jonas: Top Snowfall Totals, Storm Updates
Jan 24 2016

Winter Storm Jonas has moved out to sea, putting an end to the heavy snow that impacted the East Coast as well as parts of the South and Ohio Valley.

At least fourteen people have died in the storm, which has dumped more than 30 inches of snow on parts of five states and brought wind gusts as high as 85 mph along the Atlantic coast. Several major cities reported over 2 feet of snow and many all-time snowfall records have been broken.

Below is a roundup of top reported snow and ice totals and high wind gusts associated with Winter Storm Jonas. Farther down, there is a minute-by-minute breakdown of the storm.

Reported Snow and Ice Accumulations

map_specnews22_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Here are the top snow and ice totals by state reported as of 2:14 a.m. Sunday, with the highest snow totals listed first:

Mid-Atlantic and Northeast (Friday-Saturday)

West Virginia: 40 inches of snow in Glengary, in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Virginia: 39 inches in Philomont, about 25 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
Maryland: 38 inches in Redhouse, in western Maryland. Redhouse is 150 miles west of Baltimore.
New York: 30.5 inches at JFK Airport in New York City.
Pennsylvania: 35.5 inches at Somerset, about 25 miles southwest of Altoona.
New Jersey: 29.6 inches at Whitehouse, in Readington Township in the northern part of the state.
Connecticut: 16 inches at Greenwich, near the New York border in far southwestern Connecticut.
Delaware: 15.5 inches at Woodside in Kent County.
Rhode Island: 15.5 inches at Westerly, in the southwestern corner of the state.
Massachusetts: 14.5 inches at West Harwich on Cape Cod.
South and Ohio Valley (Friday-Early Saturday)

Kentucky: 22 inches near Booneville in eastern Kentucky; 12.2 inches of snow and 0.30 inch of ice in Bowling Green; 2 inch per hour snowfall rates in Jackson with a storm total of 16.2 inches
North Carolina: 19 inches near Old Fort. Also 0.65 inches of ice glaze near Selma.
Ohio: 17 inches in Graysville, in southeast Ohio, about 80 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.
Tennessee: 14 inches in Jamestown. Nashville reported thundersnow during the day Friday with a storm total of 8 inches.
Arkansas: 8 inches near Sherwood, Cabot and Jacksonville.
Georgia: 7.5 inches at Dillard in Rabun County of far northeast Georgia.
South Carolina: 7.5 inches of snow in Inman; 1/2 inch of ice glaze in Fort Mill. Both are close to the North Carolina border.
Illinois: 5.5 inches at Shawneetown, in the southeastern parts of the state near the Ohio River.
Indiana: 5 inches in Floyds Knobs, just over the Ohio River from Louisville.
Alabama: 3.5 inches near Harvest, just to the northwest of Huntsville.
Louisiana: 2.5 inches in Haynesville, near the Arkansas border.
Mississippi: 2 inches in Oxford and Myrtle, both in northern Mississippi.

Yesterday I spent part of the day searching for comfort food recipes on the net -- that's what I always want when snowed in.

I found a recipe for baked beans topped with mini marshmallows.

We are fine now, no significant flooding. Most of the flooding was to our south in Cape May County and Wildwood.

The tide here is a little on the high side, we'll see how we make out with the next high tide in a few hours. We are under a coastal flood warning until noon. We did have record winds of 72 mph yesterday, almost hurricane force. That's concerning since we will be raising our home soon and may need to invest in hurricane windows or shutters.

Snow that fell yesterday turned to ice. Luckily, there's plenty of sunshine out there today so that may help melt some of this stuff; there's going to be a lot of sore backs digging our way out of 2 feet of frozen snow.

Winter Storm Jonas: Top Snowfall Totals, Storm Updates
Jan 24 2016

Winter Storm Jonas has moved out to sea, putting an end to the heavy snow that impacted the East Coast as well as parts of the South and Ohio Valley.

At least fourteen people have died in the storm, which has dumped more than 30 inches of snow on parts of five states and brought wind gusts as high as 85 mph along the Atlantic coast. Several major cities reported over 2 feet of snow and many all-time snowfall records have been broken.

Below is a roundup of top reported snow and ice totals and high wind gusts associated with Winter Storm Jonas. Farther down, there is a minute-by-minute breakdown of the storm.

Reported Snow and Ice Accumulations

map_specnews22_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Here are the top snow and ice totals by state reported as of 2:14 a.m. Sunday, with the highest snow totals listed first:

Mid-Atlantic and Northeast (Friday-Saturday)

West Virginia: 40 inches of snow in Glengary, in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Virginia: 39 inches in Philomont, about 25 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
Maryland: 38 inches in Redhouse, in western Maryland. Redhouse is 150 miles west of Baltimore.
New York: 30.5 inches at JFK Airport in New York City.
Pennsylvania: 35.5 inches at Somerset, about 25 miles southwest of Altoona.
New Jersey: 29.6 inches at Whitehouse, in Readington Township in the northern part of the state.
Connecticut: 16 inches at Greenwich, near the New York border in far southwestern Connecticut.
Delaware: 15.5 inches at Woodside in Kent County.
Rhode Island: 15.5 inches at Westerly, in the southwestern corner of the state.
Massachusetts: 14.5 inches at West Harwich on Cape Cod.
South and Ohio Valley (Friday-Early Saturday)

Kentucky: 22 inches near Booneville in eastern Kentucky; 12.2 inches of snow and 0.30 inch of ice in Bowling Green; 2 inch per hour snowfall rates in Jackson with a storm total of 16.2 inches
North Carolina: 19 inches near Old Fort. Also 0.65 inches of ice glaze near Selma.
Ohio: 17 inches in Graysville, in southeast Ohio, about 80 miles southwest of Pittsburgh.
Tennessee: 14 inches in Jamestown. Nashville reported thundersnow during the day Friday with a storm total of 8 inches.
Arkansas: 8 inches near Sherwood, Cabot and Jacksonville.
Georgia: 7.5 inches at Dillard in Rabun County of far northeast Georgia.
South Carolina: 7.5 inches of snow in Inman; 1/2 inch of ice glaze in Fort Mill. Both are close to the North Carolina border.
Illinois: 5.5 inches at Shawneetown, in the southeastern parts of the state near the Ohio River.
Indiana: 5 inches in Floyds Knobs, just over the Ohio River from Louisville.
Alabama: 3.5 inches near Harvest, just to the northwest of Huntsville.
Louisiana: 2.5 inches in Haynesville, near the Arkansas border.
Mississippi: 2 inches in Oxford and Myrtle, both in northern Mississippi.

Jacksonville, Florida reports that snow flurries were in the area.

http://www.clickorlando.com/weather/central-florida-cold-getting-colder

Yesterday I spent part of the day searching for comfort food recipes on the net -- that's what I always want when snowed in.

I found a recipe for baked beans topped with mini marshmallows.

It's all about the comfort food and wine, etc when you're hunkered down and holed in! My favorites when we're snowed in include Chile Verde (Ransom posted a good recipe for this in the recipe section) as well as other soups, anything pasta like mac and cheese, stroganoff or spaghetti, and anything potatoes!

:eat:

It's all about the comfort food and wine, etc when you're hunkered down and holed in! My favorites when we're snowed in include Chile Verde (Ransom posted a good recipe for this in the recipe section) as well as other soups, anything pasta like mac and cheese, stroganoff or spaghetti, and anything potatoes!

:eat:

And don't forget the meatloaf and mashed potatoes! I'm going to check out that Chile Verde recipe.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of putting marshmallows on baked beans. There was a photo with the recipe, too, like somebody had actually made it. :facepalm:

Just moved my kid into his new apartment in the east village. NYC and Queens are a big mess. Many streets unplowed. Sidwalks unshoveled. Horrible! But, Oh it was a pleasure to be alone on the roads!

And yeah...I'm headed to Grand Cayman in 48 hours! Yay!

Just moved my kid into his new apartment in the east village. NYC and Queens are a big mess. Many streets unplowed. Sidwalks unshoveled. Horrible! But, Oh it was a pleasure to be alone on the roads!

And yeah...I'm headed to Grand Cayman in 48 hours! Yay!

bbm. I am jealous, Hope you have a great time. :summer:

We are fine now, no significant flooding. Most of the flooding was to our south in Cape May County and Wildwood.

The tide here is a little on the high side, we'll see how we make out with the next high tide in a few hours. We are under a coastal flood warning until noon. We did have record winds of 72 mph yesterday, almost hurricane force. That's concerning since we will be raising our home soon and may need to invest in hurricane windows or shutters.

Snow that fell yesterday turned to ice. Luckily, there's plenty of sunshine out there today so that may help melt some of this stuff; there's going to be a lot of sore backs digging our way out of 2 feet of frozen snow.

:). Glad you're dry. You more than paid your storm dues going without power for so long....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back