ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he meant "represents" not "replica" - still not the best choice of words, but I think maybe he just meant that this blanket wasn't just any old drag around blanket, it was what represented security to little DeOrr. Maybe?

I'm way more curious about the store clerk rumor/story/confusion too!

That's exactly what I think he meant!

He misuses a lot of words. It's often called Malapropism. Mr. Carbuff is prone to it. I think DK said "hearsay" when he meant "gossip" and replica--well, not sure what word he might have meant there but I don't think it was the word he wanted.

Thanx! I learn something every day, I have never heard of this before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

A malapropism (also called a Dogberryism) is the use of an incorrect word in place of a word with a similar sound (which is often a paronym), resulting in a nonsensical, often humorous utterance. An example isYogi Berra's statement: "Texas has a lot of electrical votes,"[SUP][1][/SUP] rather than "electoral votes".

more at link...

Could be, but considering how concerned he was in pointing out how much "hear say" was going on I thought that was sort of a Freudian slip...

But, which do you think is his meaning in regard to the blanket? Is it the actual blanket or is it a replica? Im not being snarky, I just really want to understand what he is saying. I had a hard time following the interview, as someone posted upthread that they felt they needed a cheat sheet to understand what was being discussed. I felt much the same way. moo

Like he didn't want to commit to anything because he might be accused of something or found lacking. I think that's my impression.

When I heard the interview, I assumed he meant the blanket wasn't a replica, it was DeOrr's blanket, the same one he carries around every day. I'm not sure if Sr. was talking so much because he didn't trust JM to say the right things, was trying to make sure their stories were the same, or if he's just talkative and maybe a bit dominant over JM.

I just keep thinking with as many holes as there were in that interview, I'm sure LE has their work cut out.

I'm wondering if LE told them they might be better off staying out of the media spotlight for now?

He misuses a lot of words. It's often called Malapropism. Mr. Carbuff is prone to it. I think DK said "hearsay" when he meant "gossip" and replica--well, not sure what word he might have meant there but I don't think it was the word he wanted.
Yay! Thank you for telling us what that is called. I knew it was a real thing in speech but could not recall what the word was.

mal•a•prop•ism*(ˈmæl ə prɒpˌɪz əm)*

n.

1.*a confused use of words in which an appropriate word is replaced by one with similar sound but ludicrously inappropriate meaning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I've been wondering WHY the cops didn't take custody of that blanket... any missing kid case a blanket the baby carries, its at the scene of the last known location, its evidence!

Maybe he meant "represents" not "replica" - still not the best choice of words, but I think maybe he just meant that this blanket wasn't just any old drag around blanket, it was what represented security to little DeOrr. Maybe?

I would guess wondering if he was abducted. Like we're wondering how he could be gone without his stuff. It's impossible he would be gone without his stuff.

But "That's our other concern of why" doesn't make any sense to me because of how it's worded. It sounds to me (imoo) like when someone is trying to sound official or professional and not quite getting there. Maybe he's saying this is our other concern, why we think this?

Exact replica of a security blanket makes zero sense to me. I assumed it was DK addressing another rumour.

and that's another reason why we were wondering.

BBM

So what is the first reason or other reasons that lead them to believe DeOrr was kidnapped, other than the fact that he's (obviously) not there?
Reasons to believe DeOrr was kidnapped:
1. He didn't take his favorite things when he disappeared. Could he have taken his blanket and monkey? Were they in the truck? Could he have gone in search of them?

I've bee wondering WHY the cops didn't take custody of that blanket... any missing kid case a blanket the baby carries, its at the scene of the last known location, its evidence!
Thats a good question and wouldn't the dog handlers have taken it? Or do they just let the dogs sniff it and then that's it.

I've bee wondering WHY the cops didn't take custody of that blanket... any missing kid case a blanket the baby carries, its at the scene of the last known location, its evidence!

I had not thought of that, but your right! I wonder what they used for the scent dogs?

Thats a good question and wouldn't the dog handlers have taken it? Or do they just let the dogs sniff it and then that's it.

Ok Jules, I think we are starting to jinx each other...lol

Yay! Thank you for telling us what that is called. I knew it was a real thing in speech but could not recall what the word was.

mal•a•prop•ism*(ˈmæl ə prɒpˌɪz əm)*

n.
1.*a confused use of words in which an appropriate word is replaced by one with similar sound but ludicrously inappropriate meaning.

It's rocket appliances!

Ok Jules, I think we are starting to jinx each other...lol
Oh my gosh I almost just posted that you are in my head! Crazy weird. Lol. Ya know what they say.... great minds!

That's why I assumed it was them addressing rumours again. I can see this getting gossiped about - "They said he always has his blanket so what's the blanket she's carrying?"

That is hypersensitive. If there's an easy explanation (He always has his blanket. He disappeared without taking it. We think if he walked away on his own, he would have taken his blanket. Since he left it, I'm holding on to it because it makes me feel close to my son.) why not just explain it simply and in a straight forward manner. No need to try to use an unfamiliar vocabulary. Why treat every question as if it is a vicious rumor? I hadn't thought of that being the reason to address the blanket like that until you guys posted it. That would mean that a huge part of their interview was just about addressing "rumors" that aren't even rumors. Even if it was a replica, because LE needed the original or whatever, why would anyone care and why would DK and JM care what other people thought about it? I don't get it.

I should add, if people lie about something, even if it's inconsequential, it takes on more importance. If the family lied about whether it was his actual blanket, that would have significance to me. But clinging to an identical blanket to the one their child carried, what does that have to do with DeOrr's disappearance?

Bold mine. Thank you for putting so eloquently into words what I've been trying to express since I watched the interview and listened to DK explain why the 6 pm sighting was actually him sometime before 1 pm. Of course, my next question is, why is he trying so hard to make that narrative stick (square peg in a round hole)?

:gaah:

Yep. The reporter should have jumped on that and asked if the police had figured out who the man and blonde boy were, if the clerk was shown pics of Deorr Sr. and Jr. and was certain it was some other people she saw, etc.

The epitome of a security blanket?

BBM

So what is the first reason or other reasons that lead them to believe DeOrr was kidnapped, other than the fact that he's (obviously) not there?
1. He didn't take his favorite things when he disappeared. Could he have taken his blanket and monkey? Were they in the truck? Could he have gone in search of them?

Exactly. Its not like DeOrr would have said to a kidnapper: Hang on, let me grab my blankie....

not having his monkey/blanket would not cause me to think he had been abducted because where else could he have gone by himself with these items?

BBM

He was missing, and maybe as others have said parents think abduction because it gives them hope their child is still alive.

I'm not disagreeing, just trying to work it out through discussion...

If so, why does he seem so adamant (defensive) about the story? It feels like he is debating the store clerk - wanting the viewer to choose his side over hers. It seems like the family has been very focused on SM rumors that most of us don't know anything about. I can understand why it would bother them to have misinformation out there, especially if it was accusatory. But I wouldn't see the clerk's story as a rumor, or reflecting negatively on the parents. To the contrary, it seems to back up their expressed theory of what happened to DeOrr.

Why spend time on the one interview you plan to give, dispelling "rumors" that aren't poisonous or negatively affecting the search for DeOrr? I guess it's good they didn't address the EMT bag! I don't ever want to know how I would react in their situation from person experience - ever. My opinion is only based on my limited experience. It seems like they are very concerned about how people are perceiving or judging them. I imagine addressing those concerns was top on their list when they agreed to do the interview, since that was the first question from the reporter. I have never seen victims or LE so concerned with opinions on SM. The thing about SM is you can turn off your computer. There are crazy people out there (here), who hardly know anything about the family or the investigation. Who cares what they (we) think? Shouldn't the focus be on getting DeOrr's name and face out to the public as well as any information that might help find him? If it was going to be a softball interview, why didn't the reporter lead with "Tell me some of DeOrr's favorite things to do." Try to get people to connect with this child and his family. But the first volley is a defensive maneuver? That just strikes me as really odd. Can't put my finger on it.

I agree with everything you said. I don't think my proposed theory that there was never a reported store sighting at all, hence the "rumor," made sense but the idea popped in my head (full disclosure: I'm drinking wine) and I wanted to flesh it out a bit but I can't wrap my head around why that would make sense. Especially since, as you point out, DK seems to want to sell us on his version of the store situation rather than suggest that the store sighting didn't occur at all.

I just don't know. But I want to know.

I just got done re-listening and (I believe) he said "this represents an exact replica of a... security blanket (pause) for everybody this is his actual blanket."

ETA - the blanket is not missing or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member