Graphic Photos/ Day 6 The Garotte, The Cord, and Paint brush/12 Days of JonBenet

Given that her hair was tangled in the wrapped cord around the paintbrush handle, was that hair ripped out of her head when the handle was pulled?

Edited to add: OR, was the hair cut from the handle at autopsy?

I'm not sure, either way.

I'm not sure, either way.

If the hair had to be cut at autopsy, that tells me that the stick was not used to pull the cord tight to strangle, but was simply staging.
It appears that her hair is also tangled in the knot around her neck.... Or is it just twisted up by the rope like her necklace? I'm trying to come up with a theory that makes sense to me, so if the knot was tied while around her neck tangling her hair in the knot, I would probably discount an accidental theory.

Given that her hair was tangled in the wrapped cord around the paintbrush handle, was that hair ripped out of her head when the handle was pulled?

Edited to add: OR, was the hair cut from the handle at autopsy?
That's a very astute question, RaeL -- something only die-hard case aficionados have questioned, and it has been discussed here in the past. I've pointed out the importance of knowing the answer, and our poster Cynic has even questioned James Kolar about it on one of Tricia's podcast interviews with him. Unfortunately he didn't seem to be clear and pardoned himself by saying it had been a long time since he had reviewed the evidence. I think, by looking at the photos we have available that her hair was tied into the paintbrush knot, the medical examiner had to cut the hair to remove it, and that her hair was shorter than the length of the cord. If true, I think you must realize that this would mean the misnomered "garrote" wouldn't have functioned as it was intended to imply. I believe the paintbrush was added after she was already strangled without it -- the purpose of which was to deflect suspicion away from how the paintbrush had actually been used (for the sexual assault).

(I'm not surprised your so smart RaeL since I see you're from Texas. :wink:)

What about the triangle shaped bruise at her front neck? Consistent with someone grabbing and twisting her shirt collar?
A lot of people think that, YouWho, mostly because that's what one of the so-called "experts" had theorized. I disagree with it. I think it was caused by a blood vessel that had burst during the strangulation, and the blood that leaked from that blood vessel was restricted on the surface within an area called the carotid triangle.

A lot of people think that, YouWho, mostly because that's what one of the so-called "experts" had theorized. I disagree with it. I think it was caused by a blood vessel that had burst during the strangulation, and the blood that leaked from that blood vessel was restricted on the surface within an area called the carotid triangle.

Hmmmm ... so are you saying the various muscle structures in the front of her neck acted like a triangular dam that prevented the blood from spreading past this dam and formed the triangular shaped bruise?

I think what makes it difficult for me to latch on to the idea that strangulation wasn't part of the staging is the construction of the "garrote" itself. It's not an actual garrote. The whole point of the stick part of the construction would be to tighten the rope around her neck by turning the stick. Obviously, that would not work the way this particular "garrote" was constructed. So, why is it even there? If a child is already unconscious, you certainly don't need to construct a silly movie prop in order to strangle her. And if you are an intruder in someone else's home, where her other family members are sleeping, you damned sure don't take time to construct a useless prop to strangle a child when the cord alone would have accomplished the goal.

In my mind, this device just reeks of staging.

Pardon if this is a repeat post for some of you. I think the paintbrush allowed the responsible person to pull the ligature without having to look directly (or at all) toward JonBenet. It also prevented the responsible from having to physically make skin-to-skin contact such as that which manual strangulation would require.

I think, possibly, a foot was used to steady JonBenet or prevent her body from moving while the ligature was tightened with the rope and paintbrush.

That's a very astute question, RaeL -- something only die-hard case aficionados have questioned, and it has been discussed here in the past. I've pointed out the importance of knowing the answer, and our poster Cynic has even questioned James Kolar about it on one of Tricia's podcast interviews with him. Unfortunately he didn't seem to be clear and pardoned himself by saying it had been a long time since he had reviewed the evidence. I think, by looking at the photos we have available that her hair was tied into the paintbrush knot, the medical examiner had to cut the hair to remove it, and that her hair was shorter than the length of the cord. If true, I think you must realize that this would mean the misnomered "garrote" wouldn't have functioned as it was intended to imply. I believe the paintbrush was added after she was already strangled without it -- the purpose of which was to deflect suspicion away from how the paintbrush had actually been used (for the sexual assault).

Well, thanks otg.. Appreciate a compliment from a poster that I admire! I missed the discussion regarding this issue and will go looking later- but have kept up with this case since it happened.

The scenario currently working in my head is that JBR and BR were playing "doggie" or "horsie" - (my own kids played this with one another around that age)- with JBR having the cord around her neck loosely and the other end eventually tied to a door handle or pipe (could BR reach the ceiling steam pipes when standing on that red chair?).
After a bit the assault with the paintbrush took place and during or after this she was bashed in the head and fell forward, the weight of her body strangling her. If PR did not show up at that time, I would guess BR either went and got her and told her what happened or he just left here there andPR discovered her later and figured out what had happened. She recalls a recent book or movie she saw and put the kidnapping scenario into play. Cuts the cord 17" from JBR neck but is left with additional cord. She uses this to bind the wrists. I believe the cord was proven cut while bearing weight (frayed ) while the other 3 ends were cut straight. Correct me if I am wrong.
This scenario answers the use of "garrote ", cord and paintbrush for me, at this time....

Hmmmm ... so are you saying the various muscle structures in the front of her neck acted like a triangular dam that prevented the blood from spreading past this dam and formed the triangular shaped bruise?
Yes:

attachment.php
attachment.php

More:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ust-colored-abrasion%94&p=5923772#post5923772

Attachments

• Gray1194.png
    Gray1194.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 693
  • Carotid Triangle.png
    Carotid Triangle.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 686
Well, thanks otg.. Appreciate a compliment from a poster that I admire! I missed the discussion regarding this issue and will go looking later- but have kept up with this case since it happened.

The scenario currently working in my head is that JBR and BR were playing "doggie" or "horsie" - (my own kids played this with one another around that age)- with JBR having the cord around her neck loosely and the other end eventually tied to a door handle or pipe (could BR reach the ceiling steam pipes when standing on that red chair?).
After a bit the assault with the paintbrush took place and during or after this she was bashed in the head and fell forward, the weight of her body strangling her. If PR did not show up at that time, I would guess BR either went and got her and told her what happened or he just left here there andPR discovered her later and figured out what had happened. She recalls a recent book or movie she saw and put the kidnapping scenario into play. Cuts the cord 17" from JBR neck but is left with additional cord. She uses this to bind the wrists. I believe the cord was proven cut while bearing weight (frayed ) while the other 3 ends were cut straight. Correct me if I am wrong.
This scenario answers the use of "garrote ", cord and paintbrush for me, at this time....
OMG, RaeL. Read this from three years ago:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?226503-Explain-BDI-to-me&p=9981961#post9981961

HOLY COW and OMG, otg! (Why do I feel like Robin to your BatMan right now?!). I haven't even finished reading that post and my heart is going a mile a minute! Wow! Great minds.... Or, I wonder maybe did I read that 3 years ago and somehow it stuck with me? I cannot say for certain, but I must say, your explanation of the events is SO much more eloquent than mine, I just spew out the main points and move along lol... Granted, I was rushing to not be late for carpool lol... Anyhow, thank you for finding that--- what an EXCELLENT READ!!! And, ITA! Now, back to finish reading your old post!! :)

Finished reading it... And it makes perfect total sense to me! This big ole Texas sun must be working on us the same way-- but thank you again, otg, for linking that post... Looking forward to going back and reading more old stuff! :)

otg, or anyone who might know, what games were on Burke's Nintendo?

Oh, sheesh, B, I don't think I've ever heard. I don't doubt though that he prolly would've had whatever the most the popular games were back then. I think somewhere I read that playing Nintendo was one of the things he did with friends who came over. He also had a Gameboy. which it was reported he played while riding with Fleet White to go to the Whites' house. I think White told someone he was making "beep, beep" noises while he played.

For BR's new Christmas present, the Nintendo 64, there were apparently only eight games available by the end of '96: Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Mortal Combat Trilogy, Wave Race 64, Wayne Gretsky's 3D Hockey, Killer Instinct Gold, Cruis'n USA, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. The Nintendo 64, however, was not a handheld type of video game system.

The handheld device BR was most likely playing with on the way to FW's home was the original handheld GameBoy. This device, released in 1989, had way more games available by 1996 than the newly released N64 (too many to name here). Here's a link to all of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_games

Thanks otg and Olivia. At first glance I saw an Addam's family set of games. Just wondering if any of the games might have influenced some like-minded action between him and JonBenet that went wrong. Will look closer tomorrow. Appreciate your help!

I bolded that part. I never thought of it that way! The old wheels are turning...(I know, you can hear 'em grinding now!)

I've wondered about that. Is it a bruise or a scratch?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pag2507
Back