Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I get from her post is that the listing to find dressers meant they had a need for two a couple of weeks before. Then EK found an opportunity to steal a couple instead of finding some to buy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That was option 2 awhile back of my dressers theory: that they simply needed dressers.

JMO

I dont have any answers and child custody cases are very complex but from seeing another situation with an extended family member I think one reason why the mother may have kept the child even if she knew the bio dad may have provided a safer place for her is $$$$.

I am not sure what the arrangements even were for this case but if the courts were making the bio Dad pay her some funds for the child's care then so long as she had custody of the child then those funds would keep coming.

If she agreed to let him have the child then those funds would disappear and so there is a financial incentive for her to keep the child even if she knew in her heart that her place was not safer or better for the child.

Again this may not have even been their situation but one thing for sure I can guarantee is that this sort of thing can happen this way for MONEY reasons amongst other reasons. And I find that terribly sad.
The poor kids end up getting used as pawns way too many times.

I could def see that maybe happening but two things come to mind that make it seem unlikely: first, since he was away he would have brought any drugs with him, even if he had them when they returned to Jacksonville Mariah would have been in bed before she could have gotten her hands on them; second, and I think this would be the more likely scenario, if Mariah did get into the heroin somehow, I don't think she would have been able to ingest enough to kill her, maybe make her sick but not kill her. Heroin is synthesized with some pretty nasty chemicals, I imagine it tastes abhorrent, so if a little one got it anywhere near her mouth she would immediately spit it out.

Of course, she could have gotten into different drugs but I don't think drugs had anything to do with her death. This is my reason why. Unfortunately, I have a niece who is heavily involved with drugs and I've met some of her friends, seen how they are about their drugs. They protect those things at all costs. If EK and KW were drug users, knowing their age (which is near my niece's age) and being some what familiar with some basic characteristics of drug users, I can't imagine them leaving drugs out to where Mariah could have gotten into them. Obviously it's a possibility but it doesn't seem to fit with what we currently know.

What do you think?

With the history of EK's adult temper and taking it out on the kids, I think this is what more than likely caused her death. And......with mom covering up the abuse from prior incidents, she probably tried to cover another physical abuse up too. Only this time Mariah died! Then they went into panic mode, and tried to hide her little body. I suspect the autopsy will show prior injuries also. IMO EK assaulted her numerous times, mom knew, did nothing to stop it and this time a child is deceased! They will both be charged, just like in the Sherin Mathews case.

That was option 2 awhile back of my dressers theory: that they simply needed dressers.
Someone else here found a post from KW looking for a couple of dressers in the weeks prior. So that really does help point to this.

Perhaps. But also, perpetrators of abuse often try to both make themselves feel less like monsters and make sure the world sees them as doting parents by attempting to make their children look like little adored dolls or gifting them things. I've seen it in my family. I see it in how Sherin Mathews was presented at church every week while the parents secretly believed her to be damaged goods based on her appearance (wandering eye) and were regularly breaking her bones at home.

They try to portray their lives as perfect on social media.

To be honest, I don't think we are going to know what really happened until COD is released and a confession comes out. It is sad to think that years from now, when those boys are older, they can read the details and charges of what happened to their sister. I am sure they will never get over it. This may help them be stronger, but having to deal with what they have been through, therapy may help, but I don't think anything will help erase what they have seen or had to deal with hands on.

In the photos I've seen of Mariah, she is wearing dresses and bows in her carefully combed hair. Very girly. Her mother cares very much what other people think, imo. KW made the 911 call.

Yea. Agreed she does seem very well put together in pictures. So u think that because KW is attentive to detail (looks) that would be the reason she remembers her daughter's underwear she was wearing? Not arguing just curious. I still am a bit perplexed over that detail. I realize my thought was pretty far out on a limb, just. Came to mind was all, since that's not uncommon for child sex offenders to be over focused on minute details...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here in Jan. 2004 and I have never used the ignore button or even know where it is. There have been times I had to sit on my hands but I just read and then scroll and roll and move on.

I wholeheartedly admit I have had to scroll and roll several times after reading some posts, both in this case and Sherin Matthews' when the posts were more about making both the mothers of these dead children into victims of the men involved even without one shred of evidence to support them.

We need to take the facts and not rely on assumptions or excuses. imo. What we need to worry about the most is 70% of all maltreated or mistreated children in 2015 was done by a MOTHER. More often than anyone else it was a mother who was involved in the victimization of abused children. That includes all types of abuses from gross neglect even leading to starvation, physical, emotional, mental, sexual abuse, and murder. That is what we need to worry about as a society who wants to protect all children from the horrific things they have to endure.

Grouchymom has been kind enough to link the facts for us both in this case and Sharon's. It makes me wonder if anyone really reads who is actually involved most often when little children are maltreated and abused. A boyfriend or live in is in the 13% of those who maltreats children. The media seems to care much more about the 13% than the 70% category. I have never understood why they shy away from who are actually involved most often when it comes to the cruelty being done to defenseless little children.

We see so called 'mothers' being given sweetheart deals and we have seen these 'mothers' get less time for murdering their child/children or no time at all. These women aren't victims..........they are victimizers. The double standards leaves many abused children without true justice based on who their offenders are and gender. That is so morally wrong. All children must be treated equal for we all lose if not.

Until society is willing to face the cruel facts that countless mothers every year can be and are the worst enemy their own children face...........the children they grossly neglect/abuse or murder will never have be validated in the court system overall as having the same worth as they do when they are abused by a male.

I want justice for ALL children no matter who their abusers or perpetrators happen to be.

thanks so much oceanblueeyes it sounds like a good time to repost the Child Maltreatment book as it was posted waaayyyy back in thread one with everything was moving so fast I don’t think it was seen by a lot of ppl.

This booklet is in PDF format and may be opened in any app or browser that read PDF. I have also include 1 page from the booklet that shows child fatalities by a and perpetrator. This booklet breaks down the child abuse number every imaginable way and has all of the informaton. You wish no one had to know.
I was hoping to upload the booklet from my google drive but the site is being stubbborn today. I have included a link to it anyway.

View attachment Pg61 Child Maltreatment by age and perp .pdf

Here is a link to the booklet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13o-iuL7EyFB0Ex8IUbkGdLucht7k_w4_

They don't know it. Ignore me and experiment with it. You'll see what happens.

ETA I mean this with all sincerity and no snark. You're one of my favorite people here.

:blushing: Thank you, vmmking. What a nice post to come across! Right back at you!

Oohhh, I experimented... I see now. :)

Well...that's kinda creepy looking. It looks like a little girl's hair bow. I'm a guy so I'm not over familiar with women's hair bows but does that look a little too juvenile to anyone else?

I think I had a bow like that when I was 10 in 1990 ........

Its probability of being relevant goes up when a meme is uploaded directly as a photo to their page rather than being shared from elsewhere. That sometimes means they've searched for quotes and memes that fit a situation they are going through, which is easy to find on Pinterest.

Some folks also post these types of memes as a way to support a friend/family member without going into any details about the situation they are dealing with (i.e. a friend is contemplating/going through a breakup and doesn't want their Facebook world to know about it just yet).

Not that it matters, but I settled on powdered infant formula and disregarded it. If someone is sloppy the powder rests in lines around the container and the bottle as you measure out the bottle. As I shared before, my friend and I have complained of our husbands' house keeping skills. We've lamented how terrible it looked to have lines/piles of white powder on the counter. What would someone think if they were to peep in our windows?

I didn't realize the date of the photo and assumed the sippy cup was Mariah's (as I didn't know the ages of her older brothers). But then I remembered EK had a daughter younger than Mariah, so my theory still worked in my head. Now I don't even need mental acrobatics...Mariah would've been a baby in Feb '15.

Moving on from the photo. I think it is interesting that the quote about EKs "adult temper" was attributed to a new party. The original person (initials KK perhaps?) was a woman identified as living 3 doors down. You all speculated the quote may have been removed for her safety. The quote is now attributed to a man with a different last name and no mention of where he lives, save for the fact EK used to skateboard there to "bum cigarettes". My thought is this is a couple who live together and are both familiar with EK and the day in question. Maybe they both witnessed it, but the man is trying to protect the woman by having his name quoted in lieu of hers. Or maybe the man actually witnessed the vandalism, but his gf/wife/roommate talked to the reporter originally and didn't have the good sense to be fearful of retaliation from EK because they were friendly enough to give EK free cigarettes.

Probably not particularly important, but something to chew on while awaiting COD or more arrests.

BBM
This makes perfect sense as I have never been able to get that powder out of those cans, and into a bottle, without spilling some. When you move the canister, to wipe up, it does look like you have chopped out a line of coke on your counter top.

JMO

I dont have any answers and child custody cases are very complex but from seeing another situation with an extended family member I think one reason why the mother may have kept the child even if she knew the bio dad may have provided a safer place for her is $$$$.

I am not sure what the arrangements even were for this case but if the courts were making the bio Dad pay her some funds for the child's care then so long as she had custody of the child then those funds would keep coming.

If she agreed to let him have the child then those funds would disappear and so there is a financial incentive for her to keep the child even if she knew in her heart that her place was not safer or better for the child.

Again this may not have even been their situation but one thing for sure I can guarantee is that this sort of thing can happen this way for MONEY reasons amongst other reasons. And I find that terribly sad.
The poor kids end up getting used as pawns way too many times.

$$$ are an incentive for either side in a custody battle. That said, I think in this case, AW really did fear for his children's safety. So much is still unknown.

Still catching up so it may have already been stated, but I got the impression it's because it is such a small area where everyone knows everyone. Coming from a small town, I can relate to this and don't really think it implied anything specific to the social worker's ethics. The children may have known each other from school or elsewhere. IMO, there's also more intertwining circles here than what we may be seeing. The article discussing dad's response to the CPS charges also listed EK's charges and the last one caught my eye. There are some interesting acquaintances. MOO

• The sheriff’s office responded to the 2100 block of N.C. 172 in Sneads Ferry on Nov. 29, two days after Mariah was reported missing, for reports of communicating threats, neighborhood disputes, and a suspicious incident that isn’t elaborated on. CW is named as the victim with AH and Kimrey named as others involved.
http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171205/mariahs-father-speaks-on-cps-documents-memories-of-his-daughter

Very bizarre stuff.

I don't get this. Why would a social worker's child be anywhere near a client? Why would a social worker be hanging out with clients and their families?

Regarding drug use, does NC take hair samples from children to see if they were in the room when drug use was bring done?

I haven't heard of this before...is this something that is often done? Tia.

If she only wore pull ups to bed, this may also speak to the fact that she never actually got put to bed.

I cannot believe a child with mobility issues would not be put to bed without a pull-up or diaper. Even when my children were out of diapers/pull-ups at night, I would occasionally find wet pants or pee puddles in between their beds and the bathroom when they couldn't quite make it in time after waking up in the night.

I'm not ruling out Mariah having a bed-wetting accident as the cause of this. Maybe woke up wet and walked out of her room, where EK told her to go back to bed, and when he realized she was wet, he hurriedly tried to get her changed and flipped out either because she was crying or because of the inconvenience. If he'll destroy a car because he was out of smokes, I can't imagine what he'd do if they were out of pull-ups or if he was mad about someone not putting her in a pull-up.

If they got home late that night, I could see skipping out on a pull-up to avoid the risk of waking a sleeping child to put one on. I know we did it lots of times over the years, and then cussed ourselves when we were washing wet sheets the next morning or had a kid come lay in our bed soaking wet and we had to wash two sets of bedding :doh:

ETA: I also think this is why they were so specific about the underwear. As someone mentioned up-thread that it seemed odd that they knew specifically what underwear she was wearing (and that she was only wearing underwear), it was probably because they had just recently seen her in them. I don't think I could tell you what underwear my kids were wearing even when they were little and I got them dressed.

[FONT=&]https://twitter.com/WRALCandace

“There are items of evidence...that are being tested and those lab results may take some time.” Statement from District Attorney Ernie Lee concerning investigation into #MariahWoods death. #wral
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]
DQU6m5QXUAAJj_t.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&]5:36 PM - 5 Dec 2017
[/FONT]

Excellent, thanks for posting.

Yea. Agreed she does seem very well put together in pictures. So u think that because KW is attentive to detail (looks) that would be the reason she remembers her daughter's underwear she was wearing? Not arguing just curious. I still am a bit perplexed over that detail. I realize my thought was pretty far out on a limb, just. Came to mind was all, since that's not uncommon for child sex offenders to be over focused on minute details...

We won't know if KW did remember the detail until they tell us. Liars remember the truth but they have a difficult time remembering their lies.

I am just going to throw this out there. Looking at the severe dysfunction that appears to be rampant in this "family" it seems to me that there isn't an acceptable custody option for the boys with any of them. Foster care in a loving home may or may not be available.

About 40 years ago or so, the prevailing sentiment evolved that "the worst home is better than the best institution".. Orphanages closed their doors. I really believe we may need to take a long hard look and think about some kind of group living facility for children whose lives have been ruined by all these crazies. Something that would provide comprehensive psychological help, loving and nurturing staff and would truly be a SAFE HAVEN.

The need is absolutely there........JMO

Thankyou, and yes we had a digital slide show for my daughter's funeral in 2012, but we were seated in the chapel for the funeral while that was happening, and then had the wake afterwards.

Very sorry for the loss of your daughter, Karinna. It seems there are a few members here who have also buried their children. I've buried one but I don't like to talk about it (no comments please so as to not derail the thread). Anyway, hugs to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01