CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son in law is home with his year old son during the day while my daughter teaches, then goes to work when she comes home. Everyone (myself included) praise him for this. Well, I am trying to stop seeing this as some wonderful experiment, it is a wonderful experience. A natural experience that I wish more young families could embrace.

I understand, it's like praising a female parent who cares for the kids. No one does that. My sil takes care of the children while my daughter works. They have it set up to where one can always be there so they don't have to use a sitter or daycare now. Back in my era, my Dad never changed a diaper. Ever. I don't think he held us til we were six months old. He thought we were too fragile. Now after we got to where we could hold our heads up and sit up, he was more comfortable. I plopped my newborn in his lap and he kinda froze up! He does much better with each grand, and greatgrandchild now, but still no diaper changes. :notgood: I must admit, I had a hard time with diapers, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

That’s exactly what it’s like and that’s what the Duggars did with their 19 kids. Fortunately, it appears that at least one of their adult daughters is not using that method with her own children. I pray none of them are.

I actually kept reading. Some parts are ringing bells, like I must've read excerpts before. I mean, clearly I have, since I had heard of the blanket training, but this is not a title I have in my mind as "one of the parenting books I've read". But there are parts that are good that I tried to incorporate into my own parenting. Like don't teach your kids to only respond if you raise your voice; don't tease your kid until they're angry, if you do you'll have to make amends or you are just being a bully (my son's father has a problem with this and I've tried to explain it to him and I found myself wanting to share a passage or two with him). I am just, I don't know, gobsmacked, that the authors can speak quite eloquently about happiness and love and mutual respect in a home in one paragraph; then in the next go on to suggest that invading the child's soul and breaking their will is the means to that end.....gobsmacked

Love, love, love this post! Fathers freak out when they come in and their son is in a princess dress!

O/T
Ohh, some mother's and grannies do too. I've got to see some awfully cute pics, that will never be on FB, b/c of a mil.

My ex was kinda funny about stuff too, though. One of mine, was just the pet of one of the older girls, at his daycare. Her Mom worked there so she was there hanging out til daycare closed each day. My little one was about four when he started there and he just loved her. He had big soft curls, and big blue eyes. I went in to pick him up one day, and he'd been completely made up, like a girl! Blush, eye shadow, lip gloss, the whole deal! He'd sat right there and let her make him up. Loved the attention from his friend. When I saw him the first time, I about fell over! I now had a girl. A pretty girl too. I asked them to wash it off b/c I had to go to the store and I thought people would think I was weird. Next time it happened, I just left it on, and we went on home. My ex nearly had a coronary. I explained it would wash off. After one more time, the ex got ill enough that I just asked them to stop, to keep peace. I wish I had a picture though.

When we found a house with this kind of filth, usually with an animal hoarding situation, we notified the health department. There are steps that can be taken. Further, if any adults in the home have any kind of disability, they can be turned in to department of children and family services or whatever organization in the area that deals with those sorts of things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I imagine the bank that holds a mortgage would not be happy. The home is supposed to be kept up as it is collateral to a loan

I understand, it's like praising a female parent who cares for the kids. No one does that. My sil takes care of the children while my daughter works. They have it set up to where one can always be there so they don't have to use a sitter or daycare now. Back in my era, my Dad never changed a diaper. Ever. I don't think he held us til we were six months old. He thought we were too fragile. Now after we got to where we could hold our heads up and sit up, he was more comfortable. I plopped my newborn in his lap and he kinda froze up! He does much better with each grand, and greatgrandchild now, but still no diaper changes. :notgood: I must admit, I had a hard time with diapers, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Exactly, this should be the norm.

I agree. Both sides of the Turpin family are from West Virginia. I remember reading one of the first articles on the family background and it stated that Louise's father was a preacher for the local Church of God. Today, the Daily Mail has an article about the "Church of God With Signs Following in West Virginia.

I'm assuming that the Church of God With Signs Following is a branch of the Church of God. In this article it states that there's an annual outdoor service in which the pastor dances with a venomous snake. Sometimes the pastor gets bitten and very ill, sometimes they die. They believe that once bitten by the snake, it's God's will whether they die of the poisonous venom or not.

>SNIP<

The Church of God is not associated with snake handling. Snake handlers are their own special breed of religious people and have no official affiliation with the Church of God. Although CoG is a fairly conservative offshoot and often gets lumped in with the "Holiness" sect, if they are practicing snake handling then they've gone off and done their own thing and don't have a thing to do with the main church. Snake handlers are actually a denomination, more or less, unto themselves and they were associated with CoG "Holiness", which is different. It is kind of hard to keep them straight. It used to be a common practice but now it's VERY hard to find such a practice (although Hollywood seems to think that every backwoods, primitive church here in Appalachia practices it). In fact, it's outright illegal in most places and only certain pentecostal and holiness sectors EVER did it to start with. :) In Kentucky, we have more than 300 places of worship that fall under CoG, but only 2 snake handling churches and neither one of those are CoG.

FWIW, that article got some information wrong. The name of the church in Jolo is not "Church of God with Signs-it's Church of the Lord Jesus with Signs.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/serpent-handling-west-virginia-pastor-dies-snake-bite/story?id=16459455

Generally, though, I agree that the children shouldn't be placed with anyone we've "met" so far in this family.

Sources: I live around here and have degrees both in Appalachian Studies and in Religious Experience.I gotta be honest-I WISH that CoG engaged in snake handling. My MA dissertation was on snake handling and it would've made finding such a church a lot easier to find. :)

My father came in and automatically kissed my my newborn son who was nursing at the time, and totally freaked out when he realized he was so closed to my breast. I had to keep reminding him he had done nothing wrong

My father came in and automatically kissed my my newborn son who was nursing at the time, and totally freaked out when he realized he was so closed to my breast. I had to keep reminding him he had done nothing wrong

Bless his heart. That's so funny!

Not being snarky, but, I've not seen anything in the media, that has stated that her parents, nor his, were handlers of venomous snakes. I attended Full Holiness Pentecostal as a child, and then, later, Church of God (Pentecostal). No snakes were present, venomous or non-venomous.

The extremely small number of folks who hold this belief, do not allow children into the area, when the handling is done. One must be 18+ to decide if they want to handle them, no one is forced to handle them. It is strictly voluntary and not even done at every service. I personally am not into it, and know no one who is, it's that rare, but they're grown adults. It baffles me, but, I'm also baffled by the folks who hoard them, as a sort of hobby, I guess.
Snake handling pastor allows interviewer to come into church.
https://www.npr.org/2013/10/04/226838383/snake-handling-preachers-open-up-about-takin-up-serpents

100 venomous snakes, and eight alligators, seized from home in densely populated, residential neighborhood.
http://fox6now.com/2017/07/09/100-v...les-seized-from-california-home-man-arrested/

There was an alligator found, frozen to death, on the shore of Ky's Cumberland River not long ago, it likely outgrew it's cuteness. Not the first time, either, that folks got tired of their gators, and tossed them into the waters here.

Just a side note on fasting. Fasting does not mean that one cannot eat at all,nor does it mean that you force it on your children. The brother's children looked like normal weight, happy, healthy, children. I fast for lent and it's 46 days long. So, yeah, I do eat. I have known folks who pray and fast but it's not like anything that the T parents have been doing. That's not fasting. That's abuse. I'd be more likely to think that LT had a food issue herself ,and was handing it down, and forcing it onto her kids (possible fear of them getting obese). People with food issues can worry about calorie intake, even if they do gain weight themselves. They can also flip back and forth. Go on weird diets, or have their stomachs stapled, lose weight, then put it all back on. A love/hate relationship with food.

I haven't seen anything that stated the Turpin families - his and hers - were into the church that handles snakes. In one of the first articles on Louises's background it stated her father was a preacher for the Church of God. I assumed that the Church of God With Signs Following was a branch of the Church of God. It's like saying, "Presbyterian With Signs Following" one would assume that it was a branch of the Presbyterian church.

I haven't seen anything that stated the Turpin families - his and hers - were into the church that handles snakes. In one of the first articles on Louises's background it stated her father was a preacher for the Church of God. I assumed that the Church of God With Signs Following was a branch of the Church of God. It's like saying, "Presbyterian With Signs Following" one would assume that it was a branch of the Presbyterian church.

As per the link I included in my reply to your post, the church in Jolo with Mack Wolford is The Church Of The Lord Jesus With Signs Following.

I saw today at the store that this case not only made People magazine, but made the cover:

attachment.php

Attachments

• peopemag.jpg
    peopemag.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 521
As a homeowner and former social worker I can say: It depends. If they were renting then the landlord could've had them evicted. It's a long process, though. We had to evict someone for living in similar conditions in one of our houses and it was very expensive and took almost a year to get them out (and they hadn't even paid rent in 6 months so there was that on top of the filth). Nothing ever moves quickly in the court system.

As far as them owning the house, it would be dependent upon a) how it was affecting the rest of the neighborhood b) safety concerns and c) if there were any structural problems. There is nothing illegal with having a dirty house. People's various definitions of "dirty" make it subjective. If they were hoarding garbage or something that was causing a pest or insect infestation then they'd first be given a warning to clean it up. Then, eventually, they'd get fined. From there it may be condemned but there are several more steps involved and, like I said, could take a long time. With the feces and stuff on the walls and the dirty diapers everywhere, the city could come in and cite a safety violation, or unsanitary conditions, and make them clean it up. If they didn't steps may be taken to foreclose on them. (But, again, that would be the last thing they'd do.) Lastly, if there are structural problems caused by their lack of maintenance or abuse of the home then they would probably be violating codes. The inspector could come in, fine them, give them a timeframe in which they can make the necessary changes, etc.

If the city deemed it uninhabitable until the changes are made then they wouldn't be allowed to live in it until they did whatever they were told to do.

All of this is really dependent upon where you live. In their neighborhood, a nice one, the city would probably be more proactive about making them clean things up and may be more serious about enforcing the rules. Where I live, nothing in their houses that I've seen (including the awful one in Texas) would be enough to have anyone in there writing them up unless there was a child or elderly person in the home. A lot worse than that goes on around here (I know, it's hard to believe) but I am also extremely rural and people keep to themselves so things tend to be more lax.

Even as a social worker, when I got a "dirty house" case, it still took forever to get the city to do anything and most of the time nothing happened. Just watch an episode of "Hoarders." Those folks get away with all kinds of crap (literally) and that's not just for TV.

ETA: vmmking made a good point. They are MUCH more likely to be proactive if there is a child, elderly person, or person with disabilities living in the home.

(Hey fellow SW)

I've seen kids removed from their homes due to hoarding, especially if there is inadequate access/hindered to food due to the hoard, unsanitary conditions that create hazards and lack of access to a place to sleep. Basically if the basic needs of the child are hindered due to the hoard, removals can occur . It would be considered child neglect. CPS will try to treat the parents mental health issue and return the child if the parent engages and the home is cleaned and returned to a safe state.

When it comes to 18 all the way to the elderly, a severe hoarding situation and unsanitary conditions would lead to an APS referral to try to get the person some help (Adult Protective Services) . APS will wrap services around the client (mental health treatment and dignity cleanups) and attempt to help with whatever situation is causing the person referring to believe that the adult is not able to care for themselves at the moment.

There are so many scenarios where an APS referral is made besides suspected elder abuse. And many people believe a child cannot be removed due to a dirty house, they can, I have seen it many times. The hoard has to be really dangerous and the house has to be very unsanitary. It all depends on who shows up at the door...

No. Completely different. While there's also branch that came out of Baptist churches, most were born from the Pentecostal branch, however, neither are supported by any, major Christian denomination. It is very rare, actually. Most little churches have no more than 10-20 members. They keep to themselves because the practice is frowned upon. It's illegal where I live, but it's practiced in such rural areas, that they rarely bother them.

They base their belief on Mark 16:17-18 and Acts 28:3-5.

I saw today at the store that this case not only made People magazine, but made the cover:

attachment.php

I'm glad the magazine is using the blurred faces pictures.
I never had a chance to read the article because I was working, so I'm hoping to get a chance to tomorrow.

We, the public, do have great dreams for the siblings. Hoping some of these dreams do come true.....happiness, togetherness, health....so many dreams.

There are several Spanish-language videos about the Turpins on youtube. I wish I could speak Spanish. I'd like to hear their take on the case.
Maybe someone could translate...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Can I ask you ... And I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense... But these tins of sausages that you guys have mentioned, what are they? We have tins of hotdog sausages over here so are they the same thing?
And also what is a Pot Luck? :shame:

Can I ask you ... And I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense... But these tins of sausages that you guys have mentioned, what are they? We have tins of hotdog sausages over here so are they the same thing?
And also what is a Pot Luck? :shame:

A potluck is a small festivity where everyone brings something to eat and everything is shared. We have many of them at work :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa