Gun Control Debate #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of those suicides and accidental shootings were with 'assault weapons'. Probably not very many.

I'm beginning to think 'assault weapon' is some scapegoat category to demonize.

Assault weapons are the weapon of choice for mass murderers. There is no legitimate reason for any law abiding person to own them.

Idaho man holds suspected burglar at gun point, waits for law enforcement

Another successful case where a homeowner uses a gun and no one is injured or killed. Bad guy goes to jail, good guy is safe in his home.

http://www.krem.com/article/news/lo...gun-point-waits-for-law-enforcement/486617841

And one not so successful ending. Had he also had a gun, we don’t know what the outcome would been

Man takes gun from would-be church shooter and is shot by police
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/02/man-disarms-would-be-church-shooter-gets-shot-by-police.html

Actually, deer huntng is incredibly easy. They are creatures of habit that do not roam far. And they are not smart. They are predictable.

When my husband hunted deer, his famliy felt it was like a harvest. Like getting broccoli to eat. No one thought they were some kind of tough guy.

It was no different than having to get food from :he garden. .

I love how people think shooting a defenseless animal is a sport.

It is sad and disgusting. Such a huge disconnect. Animals have families, feel pain, get nervous, get very scared, sometimes live in constant fear and that seems so unfair because we have so many food choices now. Think of your family's fur baby- they are like animals in the wild where these feelings are concerned. Peace in the world and the ripple effects we can have on it, starts with me and you.

Not sure what the outcome would have been if that teacher had been armed:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_25bd3e7e-1e71-11e8-8800-17a0de7af85a.html

BRUSLY — An elementary school teacher here is accused of false imprisonment and cruelty to juveniles over an incident last month in which she was accused of manhandling a female student, then barring the rest of the class from leaving her classroom because the child was being disobedient.
Melissa Blank, 467 W. Main St., was booked on Feb. 21 into the West Baton Rouge Parish Jail on 15 counts of false imprisonment, and one count of cruelty to juveniles and simple battery.

An interesting read. I didn’t realize that there are currently no specific training requirements for SROs.

School Officer: A Job With Many Roles and One Big Responsibility https://nyti.ms/2FQeLzS

Actually, deer huntng is incredibly easy. They are creatures of habit that do not roam far. And they are not smart. They are predictable.

When my husband hunted deer, his famliy felt it was like a harvest. Like getting broccoli to eat. No one thought they were some kind of tough guy.

I don't know what kind of conditions your husband hunted. I also take offense to the implication that my DH thinks he is "some kind of tough guy'.

We were deep in the Chequamagon-Nicolet National Forest, in SW Wisconsin. Deer season is in late November, with the possibility of very cold weather. Spend four hours in a tree stand, so quiet that Chickadees land on your gun barrel, make a clean kill shot, gut your deer and drag it three miles back to the truck. Don't forget your dressed out deer likely weighs 150 pounds

I don't know what kind of conditions your husband hunted. I also take offense to the implication that my DH thinks he is "some kind of tough guy'.

We were deep in the Chequamagon-Nicolet National Forest, in SW Wisconsin. Deer season is in late November, with the possibility of very cold weather. Spend four hours in a tree stand, so quiet that Chickadees land on your gun barrel, make a clean kill shot, gut your deer and drag it three miles back to the truck. Don't forget your dressed out deer likely weighs 150 pounds

Not so incredibly easy, my dh also hunts & has a dog’s sled he has used for hauling them out. Love venison.

If it's so easy how did I use three weeks of vacation from my job last year for deer and elk hunting yet did not put any meat in the freezer?

Back when my Dad hunted, he didn't always come home with one. They'd go scout, and then sit, and wait, and wait. They'd have to put in for a place, and he'd be gone for days, scouting, camping, and sitting in a stand. Dad enjoyed it though. Hunting, and hanging out with the guys. I think he enjoyed the camping and hanging out more than the hunting. Not everyone came home with a deer either. Deer were more scarce back then, and they only had so much time to scout. Deer are very much creatures of habit, though, and they are nosy. If you miss them the first shot, they may just come back, to take a peek, and you can get them then.

Up until a several years ago, where I live, you just didn't see many deer. Now? They're everywhere! We don't feed them either. But bluediver is right in that it's a lot of work. Especially if you don't have a place of your own with a plethora of them bounding around, like rabbits, all over the place. I could probably eat well, if I just checked the roadside each morning, for the ones hit by cars, along the farm's property line. They're getting about as common as seeing a dead possum on the road.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...wpisrc=al_trending_now__alert-national&wpmk=1

A detective later discovered that Jesse, then a 6-foot-tall, 147-pound wispy-haired blond with a voice that tended to crack, had used his phone to Google these terms: "deadliest US mass shootings," "top 10 mass shooters," "youngest mass murderer," "10 youngest murderers in history."

Seven hours after he was pinned to the ground outside Townville Elementary by a volunteer firefighter, Jesse acknowledged in an interview with investigators that he'd shot far fewer kids than he'd intended. The problem, he explained, was the weapon. He'd only had access to the .40 caliber pistol his father kept in a dresser drawer. It had jammed on the playground, just 12 seconds after he first pulled the trigger.

The weapon Jesse really wanted, the one he'd tried desperately to get, was, the teenager believed, locked in his father's gun safe: the Ruger Mini-14, a semiautomatic rifle much like the gun that, 17 months later, was fired again and again at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, during one of the deadliest school shootings in American history.

BBM

Good that Dad had that locked up. If Dad had gotten a bedside safe, he'd not have gotten the one he had, though.

That's how it always is with us. During deer season, we just sit in the same tree stand that's been there for decades and wait. Some areas may have fewer deer but then you just have to figure out where they are using knowledge of the area, the animal, and how to track them.

Whitetail are stupid during the rut. Bucks will follow a doe anywhere, even if they know humans are around.

Elk are harder, but mostly because of lotteries and the lower chance of seeing any in the small area you're restricted to for your specific tag.

Moose are like giant cows.

It is sad and disgusting. Such a huge disconnect. Animals have families, feel pain, get nervous, get very scared, sometimes live in constant fear and that seems so unfair because we have so many food choices now. Think of your family's fur baby- they are like animals in the wild where these feelings are concerned. Peace in the world and the ripple effects we can have on it, starts with me and you.

Might and a gun makes right. Maybe instead of video games and movies we should look at young people being raised to kill other living things without any qualms.
I'm seeing a whole lot of me me me in this thread of late. No concern for the right to life and safety of others. IMO

Yo this thread took a turn for the what the ****.

That's how it always is with us. During deer season, we just sit in the same tree stand that's been there for decades and wait. Some areas may have fewer deer but then you just have to figure out where they are using knowledge of the area, the animal, and how to track them.

Whitetail are stupid during the rut. Bucks will follow a doe anywhere, even if they know humans are around.

Elk are harder, but mostly because of lotteries and the lower chance of seeing any in the small area you're restricted to for your specific tag.

Moose are like giant cows.

BBM
That's how it used to be here for deer, iirc. I recall Dad wanting in certain areas. He and my mother would go scouting, before his trip w/the guys.

We live in the foothills of Appalachia, and seriously, we never saw deer here when I was growing up. Maybe a random siting, sometime, and it was like, WOW! I saw a deer!! Now, I can go into the kitchen to get my breakfast, and, Oh, there's five deer in my backyard today, only four yesterday, pretty, and go on my way. We leave the big dogs out, a bit later at night, during our garden season, to keep them out of the garden. They are pretty, but they'll ruin a garden. Now turkey? The same. Never ever saw turkey around here until about ten years ago, and now, they're just very common. I still enjoy seeing them and their chicks each year. They're comical.

It would be GREAT if aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those other food options were something I could do in my backyard and not have to spend money on. Unfortunately, I live in an arid environment and tbh don't have the time nor energy to grow a giant greenhouse garden. As it stands, hunting whitetail is the cheapest and most efficient way for my family to get protein into our home.

Likening hunting (for game we consume) to school shootings is ****ed up.

In my family the hunting was for food, but the actual killing part came second to the adventure part. I went on many hunting trips and it was no different from a camping trip. When I think of hunting as a sport I think of trophy hunting, not hunting for food.

Might and a gun makes right. Maybe instead of video games and movies we should look at young people being raised to kill other living things without any qualms.
I'm seeing a whole lot of me me me in this thread of late. No concern for the right to life and safety of others. IMO
I'm not seeing a lack of concern for the right to life and safety on this thread at all.

It would be GREAT if aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll those other food options were something I could do in my backyard and not have to spend money on. Unfortunately, I live in an arid environment and tbh don't have the time nor energy to grow a giant greenhouse garden. As it stands, hunting whitetail is the cheapest and most efficient way for my family to get protein into our home.

Likening hunting (for game we consume) to school shootings is ****ed up.

We all have our opinions. To me hunting is just another form of killing and taking of innocent life.
I get that some need to hunt to put food on their table,but it seems that this thread has turned into a thread about hunting complete with graphic detail.
If some want to blame the violence of music and video games I could also say teaching children to take the life of an animal could also lead to lack of respect for living humans. My opinion.

Hunting to feed your family is not at all the same thing as playing video games but cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member