Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet sleuths, DNA link John Doe to Northern New Mexico
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_3e26622a-6ecc-5f64-94a7-922eff538382.html
A mysterious suicide at a Washington state hotel.

An army of internet sleuths, working to identify the unknown man.

And now, a possible connection to New Mexico.

The mystery of a man known only as Lyle Stevik — believed to be an alias — started in September of 2001, when authorities in Grays Harbor County, Wash., responded to an emergency call from the Lake Quinault Inn in the tiny town of Amanda Park.

Police found a hotel guest dead inside his room.

Investigators quickly ruled the man’s death a suicide, said Lane Youmans, the former detective on the case for the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Department. But they didn’t get much further than that.

“The part that has stuck with me, is that we’ve never been able to identify this gentleman,” Youmans told The New Mexican last week.

But just last month, volunteer investigators made a discovery that could prove invaluable. Using Stevik’s DNA, volunteers from a nonprofit called the DNA Doe Project are trying to track down Stevik’s potential family members.

They’ve found a cluster of potential matches in Northern New Mexico.

[...]

Welcome! If you think Lyle might be your brother, please, PLEASE contact his case investigators (ie someone in LE or with NAMUS) and send THEM your DNA. They can figure that out quite easily and save Doe DNA project a lot of work. DNA Doe project is awesome but they could be putting their resources towards other cases if Lyle gets ID'd before they finish his family tree. Please consider contacting someone in charge of his case to let them know you suspect Lyle is your brother. Thanks.

Actually the best way now is to do a commercial DNA test and upload raw data to GEDmatch. They no longer compare individual test kits, you are automatically compared if you’re in GEDmatch. CODIS is a very crude tool in comparison. I am now in there, and I found out quickly that I am not a match to Lyle, not that I expected to be....

Internet sleuths, DNA link John Doe to Northern New Mexico
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_3e26622a-6ecc-5f64-94a7-922eff538382.html
A mysterious suicide at a Washington state hotel.

An army of internet sleuths, working to identify the unknown man.

And now, a possible connection to New Mexico.

The mystery of a man known only as Lyle Stevik — believed to be an alias — started in September of 2001, when authorities in Grays Harbor County, Wash., responded to an emergency call from the Lake Quinault Inn in the tiny town of Amanda Park.

Police found a hotel guest dead inside his room.

Investigators quickly ruled the man’s death a suicide, said Lane Youmans, the former detective on the case for the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Department. But they didn’t get much further than that.

“The part that has stuck with me, is that we’ve never been able to identify this gentleman,” Youmans told The New Mexican last week.

But just last month, volunteer investigators made a discovery that could prove invaluable. Using Stevik’s DNA, volunteers from a nonprofit called the DNA Doe Project are trying to track down Stevik’s potential family members.

They’ve found a cluster of potential matches in Northern New Mexico.

[...]
Thanks for the great link!
attachment.php

Drawing of Lyle Stevik by forensic artist Diana Trepkov.
His DNA has given up some clues. The women are sure that Stevik was likely at least one-quarter Native American and one-quarter Spanish or Hispanic. His closest matches so far show up clustered in Northern New Mexico, with some in Idaho.

Their research hasn’t revealed where Stevik was born, at least not yet. But for the first time, they know where to search for his extended family.
Eyes: Hazel

Nose: Possibly broken at one time.

Teeth: Dental amalgam filling in tooth No. 14; four teeth were missing — Nos. 5, 12, 17 and 32

Features: Small scar from an appendix-removal surgery

Anyone with information is asked to call the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Department at 360-249-3711.

Members of Northern New Mexico families who have already done DNA tests also can download their raw DNA files from Ancestry.com or 23andMe.com and then upload them to GEDmatch.com to help the DNA Doe project in its genetic search.

Suicide hotline

If you or a loved one is experiencing an emotional crisis, you can find help 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling the New Mexico Crisis and Access Line — 855-NMCRISIS (855-662-7474)

Attachments

• 5ac021ed7aeb1.image.jpg
    5ac021ed7aeb1.image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 402
But what's really interesting in this article is that Margaret Press and Colleen say: 'His closest matches so far show up clustered in Northern New Mexico, with some in Idaho'

Am I mistaken or did they not tell us that he has a genetic link to Idaho? Because I don't remember that info coming from DNA Doe Project through the facebook page although of course we all remember that Lyle put a Meridian, Idaho hotel as his address... very fascinating, I thought he only had matches in New Mexico...

Thank you again Gardener! These are great ideas :)

I just recently discovered my pedigree and how extensive and thoroughly researched it is within the last 6 mos on ancestry.com. I intend to submit my DNA so I think the time is now to do just that :) his description is near identical to what my DNA will likely reveal based on location of ancestors(northern New Mexico ) and the racial mixing as well as physical characteristics of other relatives ( slightly raised hairline on one side, nose shape, ears, eyebrows, jawline) Lyle and I have the same eyes and skin tone. Lyle appears to be infused w some European additions to his extensive New Mexico roots, as do I in similar proportions.

I contacted Grays Harbor sheriffs office and will go contact through namus as well.

I am excited Lyles case is moving forward regardless of whether he is my brother or not!!

I certainly want my brother in my life too so thank you for the ancestry.com suggestion. Adoption registry so far, nada afterall..

I agree with someone down below your comment, the best thing you can do is quickly get an Ancestry DNA or 23andme kit and then upload your results to GEDMatch

I agree with someone down below your comment, the best thing you can do is quickly get an Ancestry DNA or 23andme kit and then upload your results to GEDMatch

I agree Magnum P. I., and leilarose, I discovered this to be true too.

I ordered a kit from ancestry DNA last night after talking to Margaret and Colleen yesterday. They are very helpful and prompt ladies!

I have not heard back from the detective assigned to Lyle's case yet, but my local le stated that their process takes time to collect my DNA via law enforcement, so I decided to simply order the kit to expedite the process :)

The Idaho connection and the Northern New Mexico connection were both stated previously leilarose.

All of the previous recent clues ( Genizaro, Northern New Mexico, Idaho, racial mix) prompted me to seriously consider a relationship to Lyle.

My maternal grandmother relocated from Northern New Mexico and raised her brood in another nearby state. Her ancestors lived in Northern New Mexico for centuries before that.

Her sister relocated to Idaho to raise her family. ( I too relocated to raise my own family). I had not seen these relatives since I was a teen but saw them again recently at my grandmothers funeral. One of those family members and I shared an interest in geneology. She has already submitted her DNA to ancestry DNA and worked on our pedigree for years I learned.

Putting all of the stated clues about Lyle against our family template and circumstances, combined with photographic similarities made me say wow!!

What if??

Nice compilation of information cybervampira and dotr!

thanks!

If I remember correctly, they (LE, I think) have had several people contact them believing this may be their relative. So it may take time to get through all the contacts.

If I remember correctly, they (LE, I think) have had several people contact them believing this may be their relative. So it may take time to get through all the contacts.

I can see that as very possible with the newly released info and the interest this case has garnered Spellbound. I can't wait to receive my DNA kit for so many reasons so I am glad I took this step proactively to make the process easier for them as well as for me and certainly for Lyle so as many helping hands can be freed up to work as many angles as possible to solve his mystery and bring him home.

I agree Magnum P. I., and leilarose, I discovered this to be true too.

I ordered a kit from ancestry DNA last night after talking to Margaret and Colleen yesterday. They are very helpful and prompt ladies!

I have not heard back from the detective assigned to Lyle's case yet, but my local le stated that their process takes time to collect my DNA via law enforcement, so I decided to simply order the kit to expedite the process :)

The Idaho connection and the Northern New Mexico connection were both stated previously leilarose.

All of the previous recent clues ( Genizaro, Northern New Mexico, Idaho, racial mix) prompted me to seriously consider a relationship to Lyle.

My maternal grandmother relocated from Northern New Mexico and raised her brood in another nearby state. Her ancestors lived in Northern New Mexico for centuries before that.

Her sister relocated to Idaho to raise her family. ( I too relocated to raise my own family). I had not seen these relatives since I was a teen but saw them again recently at my grandmothers funeral. One of those family members and I shared an interest in geneology. She has already submitted her DNA to ancestry DNA and worked on our pedigree for years I learned.

Putting all of the stated clues about Lyle against our family template and circumstances, combined with photographic similarities made me say wow!!

What if??

Taltos, I think you're thinking of the fact that Lyle wrote a meridian Idaho hotel as his address, DNA Doe Project didn't mention Idaho relatives at all in their latest posts or comments, just Northern New Mexico, I just double checked. So the aforementioned article is the first time they're publicly confirming a legit genetic link between Lyle and Idaho, which is what I'm excited about.

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2036574253268016/?type=3&theater

I hope you find some answers about your relationship to Lyle soon! GEDMatch is so cool.

For those who aren't familiar with genizaros, a superficial introduction: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genízaro

Some genizaros were sheep herders and came north to Idaho and western Montana in the early 1900s, so an Idaho connection for Lyle's family wouldn't be surprising.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Native American and Hispanic could share genes/ancestry. Historically, especially in areas that became New Mexico and in that region, some more prominent Latinos took in and traded Native Americans as laborers (including slaves). They were called genizaros.

At times before colonialism, some indigenous peoples also took in slaves.

Heck, colonists enslaved Native Americans, too.

So mixed heritage is entirely possible, imho.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/28/us/indian-slaves-genizaros.html

https://www.npr.org/2016/12/29/5052...an-slaves-in-new-mexico-emerge-from-obscurity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_among_the_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-native-american-slavery-20160505-snap-story.html

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...nded-enslavement-indigenous-people-180957900/

Bumping. More info on possible genizaros link.

Welcome! If you think Lyle might be your brother, please, PLEASE contact his case investigators (ie someone in LE or with NAMUS) and send THEM your DNA. They can figure that out quite easily and save Doe DNA project a lot of work. DNA Doe project is awesome but they could be putting their resources towards other cases if Lyle gets ID'd before they finish his family tree. Please consider contacting someone in charge of his case to let them know you suspect Lyle is your brother. Thanks.

Unfortunately, DNA Doe project is their best option. LE and NamUs really can't do anything as no one knows if her brother is actually missing.

Thank you for the welcome Ana and Gardener :)

I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to use the tools such as enclosing your text in my response, I am in a hurry right now but I will figure it out asap and respond appropriately :)

Ana..
My brother was given up at birth and we have had difficulty finding any records to indicate anything about him, including his very existence, as the agency she gave him to claims no record :(
It is possible that his adoptive parents were Stevic, but really it is anyone's guess.

Gardener..
Thank you for that tip, as I had not thought of that yet. Probably because I am frankly kind of in shock that my favorite missing person could possibly be my brother!
I will contact them as soon as I finish my scheduled appointments for the day :)

To quote someone, select reply with quote in the bottom right section of the reply you want to quote.

ReplyWithQuote.jpg

I know exactly how you feel as I found out when I was 30 that I had an older 1/2 brother that was given up for adoption. I was going thru the drawer she had photos in, found a photo that looked like me but I knew wasn't me. I then found his baby bracelet and a small receipt, which looked like it came from a rent receipt book.

My mother was new to the country, found herself pregnant. She ended up signing her rights away with Catholic Charities before giving birth; but ended up changing her mind. She brought him home, had him Christened. Eventually Catholic Charities knocked on the door wanting my brother. Since she was an immigrant that didn't speak much English she did what she was told because they had her signature on a contract.

Back then (23 years ago) there weren't many places to register. I did ISSR (International Soundex Reunion Registry) which didn't do anything. Eventually I found the registry at adoption.com and the reunion registry; registered at all of them. The registry at adoption.com had a lot of changes, at one time my registration got messed up. Some how I was registered for the forums but nopt their database so I did it again. I was always looking for him using DOB, male and state, eventually I searched using DOB and male; up he popped! His mistake of filling out the state wrong cost us a few years. Let me know if you want any tips because I learned a lot. What state was your brother adopted in? Some states allow birth family to request records while others will allow you to put your name on their registry. It depends on the state.

DNA is your best option to try to find your brother. Birth family and adopted people are finding each other Check out the show Long Lost Family, that will give you an idea of what to do. When you get your results back from Ancestry, see my thread Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy which is also posted on City-data Family tree and DNA general instructions. I tell how to upload your results to My Heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free family matching and ethnicity and FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) for free family matching. DNA Doe Project is using GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis. Genesis is their newer site that accepts 23 and me's new chip as well as raw data from other, smaller sites. I have the list of sites in my threads.

Ooh this is amazing news on the dna front. Hopefully it brings answers

Unfortunately, DNA Doe project is their best option. LE and NamUs really can't do anything as no one knows if her brother is actually missing.

To quote someone, select reply with quote in the bottom right section of the reply you want to quote.

attachment.php

I know exactly how you feel as I found out when I was 30 that I had an older 1/2 brother that was given up for adoption. I was going thru the drawer she had photos in, found a photo that looked like me but I knew wasn't me. I then found his baby bracelet and a small receipt, which looked like it came from a rent receipt book.

My mother was new to the country, found herself pregnant. She ended up signing her rights away with Catholic Charities before giving birth; but ended up changing her mind. She brought him home, had him Christened. Eventually Catholic Charities knocked on the door wanting my brother. Since she was an immigrant that didn't speak much English she did what she was told because they had her signature on a contract.

Back then (23 years ago) there weren't many places to register. I did ISSR (International Soundex Reunion Registry) which didn't do anything. Eventually I found the registry at adoption.com and the reunion registry; registered at all of them. The registry at adoption.com had a lot of changes, at one time my registration got messed up. Some how I was registered for the forums but nopt their database so I did it again. I was always looking for him using DOB, male and state, eventually I searched using DOB and male; up he popped! His mistake of filling out the state wrong cost us a few years. Let me know if you want any tips because I learned a lot. What state was your brother adopted in? Some states allow birth family to request records while others will allow you to put your name on their registry. It depends on the state.

DNA is your best option to try to find your brother. Birth family and adopted people are finding each other Check out the show Long Lost Family, that will give you an idea of what to do. When you get your results back from Ancestry, see my thread Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy which is also posted on City-data Family tree and DNA general instructions. I tell how to upload your results to My Heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free family matching and ethnicity and FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) for free family matching. DNA Doe Project is using GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis. Genesis is their newer site that accepts 23 and me's new chip as well as raw data from other, smaller sites. I have the list of sites in my threads.

Thank you Roselvr for this post....Hopefully somebody can learn from this...getting closer....

This entire saga has me on the edge of my seat! From the very first post through today...how long has it been! I think we're getting close thanks to the hard work being done! My thanks to everyone.

Taltos, I think you're thinking of the fact that Lyle wrote a meridian Idaho hotel as his address, DNA Doe Project didn't mention Idaho relatives at all in their latest posts or comments, just Northern New Mexico, I just double checked. So the aforementioned article is the first time they're publicly confirming a legit genetic link between Lyle and Idaho, which is what I'm excited about.

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProj...009255824516/2036574253268016/?type=3&theater

I hope you find some answers about your relationship to Lyle soon! GEDMatch is so cool.

thank you for the support leilarose :)

Reddit had an Idaho mention when Lyle's DNA was first sequenced. It was hypothesized up thread that there was an actual Stevik family living in Idaho in the late 50s too and a question about that as Lyles family was posited. I have been aware of the address in Meridian for a decade now, so that is not why I thought that :)

For those who aren't familiar with genizaros, a superficial introduction: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genízaro

Some genizaros were sheep herders and came north to Idaho and western Montana in the early 1900s, so an Idaho connection for Lyle's family wouldn't be surprising.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

This is the exact scenario for my family carbuff.

My great grandfather that strongly resembles Lyle was a sheep herder that migrated all over the western US with his flock in the 1930's.

His daughter that was my grandmother stayed in Utah to raise her family.

One of his other daughters stayed in Idaho

Some remain in northern NM

i am am not the only person with this background I'm sure but how uncanny in this case..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member