GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get to see the whole video. DM said in the interview he wasn't aware of the gun?
I thought I read here that he said he purchased it as a gift for WM. When did he tell LE that?

The phone number we've never seen before... I wonder how many calls/texts were on it relating to TB and LB that were kept out of those trials.
In this trial he hasn't said where the gun came from. In his interview he said his dad used to own guns but had given them all away. Interestingly, when a police officer informed DM that they had found a gun, his response was "a revolver?". But what was said in previous trials is not relevant here, even though it should be IMO. Evidence in this trial did show that Millard had indeed bought a revolver from Isho, however nothing shows that it was in fact the gun that killed WM.

My interpretation from testimony regarding the financial state of the new Millardair hanger, it cost $10 million to set up and later sold for less than $5 million. There was no financial benefit for DM to murder his father (however if there is motive, it could be to mitigate his loss).

Edited by me - For real there was no financial benefit, but I think in DM's puny brain there was. He may or may not have thought of what he would inherit, but moreso, he wanted control of the facility. He was spending money so frivolously and I think blamed his dad when the pot seemed to be running dry. I don't think he did the math.

I think he merely had a plan to conquer the world as a gangster and his dad's return to health and commanding him to clean up the floor of his junk was the final straw, so was the gun bought to kill his dad with or used for other purposes first?

quote from billandrews timeline:
Apr 14 12:26 pm
Millard texts Smich: "Be smart bro. We are gonna take this world, but we've got to be smart about it.

DM's interview is just as important for what he didn't say about being in the home in the overnight hours. He claimed he last saw his Dad in the afternoon of the previous day and that he spent the night at Mark's. There are some pretty glaring omissions for a guy who went into significant detail about his movements between rooms, dog beds, snacks, more than five minutes and less than ten, etc.

Exactly. If we are to believe that he spent the night at Smich's, why did he not mention that he supposedly went on a date? We have seen Millard lie like this on several occasions, telling different stories to different people.

As for Smich, we know that he is in contact with Millard that night, and that Millard is telling him he is at the police station for in interview. It is possible that there were more texts that were erased and unrecoverable, but nonetheless, it is evident that Smich found out about Was death that night. So why did he not tell MM until several days later, and only when he is pressed as to why DM hasn't been around lately? IMO Smich is every bit as guilty in this killing as he had prior knowledge and willfully provided an alibi whilst it was being committed.

My view is MMs testimony was unreliable and we don’t know if the defence will call any witnesses yet.

I am more inclined to believe MM than DM. She revealed what really went on that night--that he left MS's house. I feel it is very plausible she is correct about leaving at 9. She didn't say she saw him get into a cab. Very plausible he did other stuff until 1 am when he did take a cab. That was not pointed out by anyone else. Also that she revealed DM returned to sleep with them on the floor. Very telling IMO.

I've wondered if the phone was left at Mark's for the explicit purpose of calling Pizza Pizza. I don't think we've heard details about the call that made that order. There is some indication in all three of the murder cases that DM may not have had awareness of how cell phones could be used to track movement. He seemed to understand the idea of tracing a number - the Lucas Bate burner phone for example - but otherwise carted a personal cell phone everywhere and basically built a brick wall of evidence against himself. He either thought he was so clever and bulletproof that he and/or his phones would never even hit the radar, or didn't understand the technology. The latter would be a bit head scratching in 2012 and beyond, but the former suggests something almost as confounding psychologically.

Yes, they did clarify that this was a witness statement that would be recorded and that it was under oath. It wasn't the same as a statement after an arrest. It was a witness statement. They also asked him if he agreed to give the statement and he said "sure, let's do it".

Here's the video if anyone wants to rewatch it.

I believe he wasn't trying to have the interview thrown out based on what happened at the station as its pretty obvious Millard gives the statement of his own free will. I think his issue goes back to the house where, judging by his cross examination of every LE officer to appear, he believes Millard was told that he had to give a statement and that he was not informed of his right to decline.

Of course, in reality, Millard didn't have a choice because if he had it would have looked very very suspicious.

Exactly. If we are to believe that he spent the night at Smich's, why did he not mention that he supposedly went on a date? We have seen Millard lie like this on several occasions, telling different stories to different people.

As for Smich, we know that he is in contact with Millard that night, and that Millard is telling him he is at the police station for in interview. It is possible that there were more texts that were erased and unrecoverable, but nonetheless, it is evident that Smich found out about Was death that night. So why did he not tell MM until several days later, and only when he is pressed as to why DM hasn't been around lately? IMO Smich is every bit as guilty in this killing as he had prior knowledge and willfully provided an alibi whilst it was being committed.

RBBM

The 'structure' of this murder seems very much like Laura's murder to me. DM's job was killing, and MS's job was providing immoral support and an alibi as necessary.

Totally agree. You could see the wheels spinning in DM's head as he sat there playing the "victim"; totally stunned, resigned to the fact his dad had made an exit because of the financial pressures.

Fact is, it had only been a few weeks that they had their license, and IIRC, AS had a heated discussion with DM about getting his toys and junk out of the hangar so they could get potential clients in and contracts signed. IMHO, WM never thought for a minute that he'd be opening the doors with a full slate of clients. With a state of the art facility, I'm of the belief that WM would have attracted more than a few. DM simply figured he could have the hangar for his own use if WM and the MRO disappeared.

Considering WM had a sound understanding of what he was doing, it's impossible to believe that he didn't think it was going to take at least a year to get money flowing. To think that a business this size, with this much capital invested was going to turn a profit in 3 weeks is absurd. Being stressed over the performance/attitude of his son is more plausible. AS wanted the place ready to go- DM had no place to take his hobbies. The guys really running the MRO would have no use for SS chiselling off VIN numbers over in the corner. Unfortunate for WM, DM had to kill the MRO.

I agree.

Yes, you illustrate the importance of forecasting and having adequate cash reserves to carry the business until it turns a profit. How the finances could be so poorly forseen, to incur $5 million in cost overruns on a $10 million venture that lacked $10 million to begin with, absolutely baffling.

Jun 12
The Crown is now re-examining. Jill Cameron is asking about cash. Woodward says Millard had said he had $10 million available for the business at the outset. He says "problems started" when they went over $5 million in costs. #Millard
Jun 12

"It was apparent there wasn't $10 million to start with," he says. #Millard

I know there's speculation DM inherited some of his property, by IMO add up his properties Oakville, Vaughan condo, distillery condo, farm you get a cool $3 million. He spent $80,000 on the baja race vehicle and $23,000 on the incincerator. Treated his friends to paid trips. Hosted parties. Perhaps the problems were DM siphoning business cash.

I've wondered if the phone was left at Mark's for the explicit purpose of calling Pizza Pizza. I don't think we've heard details about the call that made that order. There is some indication in all three of the murder cases that DM may not have had awareness of how cell phones could be used to track movement. He seemed to understand the idea of tracing a number - the Lucas Bate burner phone for example - but otherwise carted a personal cell phone everywhere and basically built a brick wall of evidence against himself. He either thought he was so clever and bulletproof that he and/or his phones would never even hit the radar, or didn't understand the technology. The latter would be a bit head scratching in 2012 and beyond, but the former suggests something almost as confounding psychologically.
I think he was very aware of how they worked, he simply didn't care because the burner phone would have been in a lake before anyone would be able to tie the two together. In this case he wanted to create the illusion that he was at Smich's all night, so he left his phone there knowing that it would ping off a nearby tower. The burner phone in this case is used to call taxi's and to likely communicate with Smich.

As for the Pizza Pizza order and taxi calls, I don't think much was said about them in court as they were submitted via an agreed statement of fact. But I assume that they are as simple as that, calls made from numbers linked to Millard on that evening.

And BTW I am very curious to know who's phone ordered the pizza? Would be very odd if they used Millards Samsung.

Edited by me - For real there was no financial benefit, but I think in DM's puny brain there was. He may or may not have thought of what he would inherit, but moreso, he wanted control of the facility. He was spending money so frivolously and I think blamed his dad when the pot seemed to be running dry. I don't think he did the math.

I think he merely had a plan to conquer the world as a gangster and his dad's return to health and commanding him to clean up the floor of his junk was the final straw, so was the gun bought to kill his dad with or used for other purposes first?

quote from billandrews timeline:
Apr 14 12:26 pm
Millard texts Smich: "Be smart bro. We are gonna take this world, but we've got to be smart about it.

What I can’t understand is what was the nature of the relationship between WM and DM and how did it come to be that WM appeared to have been totally oblivious to his son’s lack of interest in the legacy business he was specifically creating for him. Both lived together, were involved in the business 50/50 together and I bet for every 10 red flags we’ve identified through media and court records, there were probably 100 more everyday signs that should have been noticed that we’re not aware of. I just don’t get it. It’s as if a big piece of the puzzle is missing.

DM's interview is just as important for what he didn't say about being in the home in the overnight hours. He claimed he last saw his Dad in the afternoon of the previous day and that he spent the night at Mark's. There are some pretty glaring omissions for a guy who went into significant detail about his movements between rooms, dog beds, snacks, more than five minutes and less than ten, etc.

I also thought his wording was interesting about letting his dad find happiness with JC as long as it didn't interfere with him legally (or something of that matter). That is telling IMO.

As far as I'm concerned the case comes down to this;

- MMs testimony, backed by receipts and phone records
- DMs Interview and his apparent lack of knowledge about the gun
- Millards DNA being found on the gun.

Millard had motive, he had opportunity, and the DNA ties him to the weapon.

However, Millard could testify that the revolver was in fact his gun and that he lied to police as he had purchased it illegally. He's still have to get over the hurdle of MM's testimony, but she wasn't exactly a solid witness and I don't know if the judge would convict based solely on what she said.
There 's still no explanation of how WM got his hands on the gun, or even knew his son had one. Given that he had relinquished his own weapons voluntarily, that his prints were not on it, and there was no GSR on his left hand, it seems to me that - unless DM testifies in his own defense - this is a big unexplained hole in the suicide story.

I know there's speculation DM inherited some of his property, by IMO add up his properties Oakville, Vaughan condo, distillery condo, farm you get a cool $3 million. He spent $80,000 on the baja race vehicle and $23,000 on the incincerator. Treated his friends to paid trips. Hosted parties. Perhaps the problems were DM siphoning business cash.
I think that either WM was under DMs thumb or that there were some serious issues between them. The man was under enormous financial stress and he doesn't bat an eyelash about a $23K incinerator bill? Or did he and we just don't know about it? We know the invoice went through, and we know the accountant was meeting with WM regularly, I just don't see how it could have gone unnoticed.

The contact with MS was the following evening after DM "discovered" the body. There were likely more texts that were not recoverable and likely texts that didn't have bearing on the case. I don't think there is any evidence of phone contact with MS the night of his father's murder. I think DM set it up as an alibi so kept radio silence. jmo

There 's still no explanation of how WM got his hands on the gun, or even knew his son had one. Given that he had relinquished his own weapons voluntarily, that his prints were not on it, and there was no GSR on his left hand, it seems to me that - unless DM testifies in his own defense - this is a big unexplained hole in the suicide story.

Well theoretically, Millard could have shown the gun to WM and he could have known where it was kept. When he decided to kill himself, it was just handy.

What I can’t understand is what was the nature of the relationship between WM and DM and how did it come to be that WM appeared to have been totally oblivious to his son’s lack of interest in the legacy business he was specifically creating for him. Both lived together, were involved in the business 50/50 together and I bet for every 10 red flags we’ve identified through media and court records, there were probably 100 more everyday signs that should have been noticed that we’re not aware of. I just don’t get it. It’s as if a big piece of the puzzle is missing.

Denial? Just like MB, I'd speculate WM was still seeing the son he wanted, not the son he had (in spite of all the red flags and utter lack of adult success at anything.) And perhaps part of the motivation was that WM, who seems to have turned a corner in 2012 and was starting to become stronger and emotionally healthier, was beginning to recognize and question the behaviour of the real DM, not the idealized one.

Denial? Just like MB, I'd speculate WM was still seeing the son he wanted, not the son he had (in spite of all the red flags and utter lack of adult success at anything.) And perhaps part of the motivation was that WM, who seems to have turned a corner in 2012 and was starting to become stronger and emotionally healthier, was beginning to recognize and question the behaviour of the real DM, not the idealized one.

Good point. And...where was WM the night DM killed LB? Did he not do it at 5 Maplegate? Strange this man who worked from home and was in back recovery would not be aware of what went on then!!

...and now we all know why the van with the wheel chair lift. Hey dad, I'm borrowing the van if you're not going out (it might be easier to carry a dead body that way). Why did WM not know what was going on. Or did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diannewl