Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
I know we split hairs on every piece of information we find because its all we got.

Something just rubbed me a little wrong with the above.

No confirmation that there was any back and forth exchanges between them the night before or the morning she went missing.

Its all one sided. Happened to see and open her snapchat but no back and forth exchanges?

Then the thing that really struck me is the wording that morning.

"noticed I texted her good morning"

Wait a minute. Someone would not have to notice that. He would have known he texted her good morning.

I really hope she just ran away. I want her to be safe really bad. Prayers for her and her family.

I don't think we know if there was back and forth chatting/texting. I think he was responding to when and how he last heard from her. You know what I mean?

And yeah. That's weird phrasing as to him noticing he texted her. But people often speak oddly or grammatically incorrect. Especially when stressed or not used to public speaking. I mean just read any transcript of a tv show interview. Ugh. They're all over the place.

It could be as simple as e was trying to say he noticed she hadn't read his text. And it came out awkwardly.

There's only ONE thing that really gives me pause in this case. I haven't read to the end so maybe it's been answered. But who created the FB page?

Why are they acting like Mollie's family is uninvolved in "their" search?

Newbie here and following. I have a teenage daughter and this bothered me from that last article linked:

Morning: Jack sent Tibbetts a message, but he said he didn't notice it went unread.

My daughter ALWAYS notices if her message to her boyfriend goes unread.

Also, no one mentions whether the contacts are disposables or not. Could she have put on a new pair and left the old one in the case. Mine are one month wear. Sometimes I put a new pair in and leave the old ones sitting in the solution by mistake. Just some thoughts.
I send my husband texts all day long. He works at a job that is very stressful and filled with lethal hazards. He rarely looks at my texts until lunch time or when he gets in his car to drive home. Mollie's boyfriend works in construction with lethal hazards. He may have been on a steep roof nailing down shingles or standing on tall ladders installing gutters on a roof that morning. It's not suspicious that he didn't immediately notice that the text he sent her went unread.

Last edited:
I don't think we know if there was back and forth chatting/texting. I think he was responding to when and how he last heard from her. You know what I mean?

And yeah. That's weird phrasing as to him noticing he texted her. But people often speak oddly or grammatically incorrect. Especially when stressed or not used to public speaking. I mean just read any transcript of a tv show interview. Ugh. They're all over the place.

It could be as simple as e was trying to say he noticed she hadn't read his text. And it came out awkwardly.

There's only ONE thing that really gives me pause in this case. I haven't read to the end so maybe it's been answered. But who created the FB page?

Where are ppl finding that the family is uninvoled? I can't find any references at all.

The boyfriend and his family were VERY involved in the search. It's against policy to discuss what was on FB pages, so I can't give details.

Looking at her Twitter account - there is a post from Mollie on Jun 16 - stating she is taking classes over the summer.

Yes she was a very busy and active girl. Which is commendable.

The scariest twitter to me was the one where she retweeted someone else talking about life dreams and saying how at age 15 her dream was all about getting a BF and now at age 20 her dreams have now changed to wanting to be successful and make a lot of money and travel the world.

More or less falls in line with some of the concerns we have had that her goals and aspirations could have been dramatically changing.

SBM: WTH with that headline?????? Killed? Ummm... I hate Nancy Grace.
After Lucas why do we even bother with NG.Granted I'm new to True Crime I know her esteemed reputation but from what I have heard of her podcast she adds nothing but confusion

ETA: I'm sorry - I did not click the NG link (for obvious reasons) but it is apparently about Karina Vetrano's case, not Mollie's. Sorry for this confusion.

In regards to Snapchat...Mollie and BF were texting via Snapchat. There are 2 parts of Snapchat. You can send the photo “snaps” either to the public or to an individual. When you send it to an individual it creates a “chat” with that individual. From there you can text back and forth just like regular text messaging. This is what the boyfriend is referring to. You can see in the “chat” whether the person has viewed your message. Unread text messages have a solid blue arrow next to them, once it is read it would change to an empty blue arrow for the sender. So this is how Dalton knows the messages weren’t read. A photo message has a red arrow and a video message has a purple arrow.

Last edited:
And that's more people for the sheriff's office or FBI to investigate.

If she was living some distance from campus she was probably taking online classes, especially if she was working a lot (I don't actually know how much she was working tho)

So if that's the case there were probably few if any people she actually knew and/or knew where she was staying.

Snipped
Tuesday morning July 24
At this time, we have no news to share of our efforts to find Mollie. We know the investigation team continues to work so very hard, in a variety of ways, to bring Mollie home. Many of these efforts will just take time, and as frustrating as that feels, it is just part of how such investigations work. If you have any information or possible tips, please contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office. Tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com

Sandi Tibbetts Murphy

IMO, this family has the best grasp on how an investigation works than any other I've seen. They understand and are publicly verbalizing that LE cannot share investigative information. Warrants for cell phone data, social media accounts, etc. take time to process and filter through. I really respect this family, and my heart goes out to them.

The warrant thing was the FBI's doing. I thought I saw somewhere that local LE already had her laptop? If so, then they no doubt at least did a walk-through of the house? Unless the laptop was at her mom's.

If local LE searched the house, including Mollie's portion, and took the laptop sans warrant, could be FBI trying to ex post facto make local LE's search and seizure legit. It doesn't work that way--you can't get a warrant after you've already searched and seized that will legitimize an initially illegal search and seizure (if it were in fact illegal, doubt it would be in this case). But who knows with the spotty reporting in this case.

You don't need a warrant if life and limb are in danger. I don't know if this qualifies under such a thing or not. And the owner can give an okay to search a house without a search warrant. I think the FBI probably wants to protect themselves, so they did issue a warrant. I know police don't always need the warrant... this is what I learned in college.

Search Warrants: What They Are and When They're Necessary

I just heard on the Nancy Grace podcast that this "red shirt" was provided by the day camp she was working for. I'm guessing it may have been a camp councilor type shirt with maybe a camp LOGO on it?

We know it's missing, this doesn't necessarily mean she's wearing it, she may have had the intention to put it on once she got to work and packed it into a bag or back pack along with other things such as a lunch? I think some people prefer to change once they've arrived at work if it's a uniform type situation, rather than be a walking advertisement for their workplace. She may not have been physically wearing this red shirt is all I'm trying to say. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy