Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a tidbit from Mollie's father's interview with Shep Smith on Fox News earlier. He asked social media companies to set aside privacy concerns to aid in further developing Mollie's social media footprint. Yes, subpoenas can be served, but it's a lot easier if these companies do it on their own, and perhaps go a bit further than simply providing data on Mollie alone.
This was from yesterday. I think a mod must have reposted it again or something. Please ignore.

... or the burglary call on July 16th, which was on the same street as Mollie's BF house, and only just up the road.
There is a picture of the hardware store damage in an earlier thread. The door looked like it had been hit with a bat or hammer as it shattered but did not break. There also was some grafitti. If you want the eyewitness report then check out the article where the barkeep from the bar across the street was interviewed as she was the one that called the police about the hardware store damage.

This is somewhat OT, especially if it seems that she disappeared during her run, but for those of you in/from small towns where people don't lock their doors--do you not lock them overnight, either? Or when you leave the home? I'm a city gal (well, suburbanite, at least), and our house is locked up tight during the day, whether we're home or not, and we have a security alarm on at night. I cannot fathom leaving the house unlocked while I'm at home sleeping. Even out in the country, that would totally creep me out. And staying at the house alone? I guess having large dogs in the house makes people feel safer, but I wouldn't even count on that.

I’d say most lock them at times but never all the time. Being from a small town of 2,500 people and grew up in a town of 250 people, we don’t always lock doors. It’s why we chose to live there. Safe. Cops are all over patrolling and any neighbor reports suspicious people quickly. Many often leave their doors unlocked for family to come over and get in when your not there etc. Many times you lock down but one door is left unlocked etc. Not like a city at all and because Dalton was gone they might have just left doors unlocked so family could go in and out along with Mollie without everyone having keys during that period Dalton was gone.

You worded this perfectly. I have been trying to figure out for quite a while how to word this appropriately but I was not successful...lol.

I just wanted to say that lots of people can post one post in support of something like "equality"and not be part of "the community."

Given how fast this thread moves and constantly seeing this on national news, I don't see interest being lost.

It seems we get a new thread every 12 hours.

I am very excited to join this website. As a native Iowan and someone with some experience in both science and the law, here are my 2 cents worth. Iowa, sadly, has had it's list of outstanding cold cases involving involuntary disappearances and/or abduction/murder. Mollie's case reminds me in many ways of Michael Klunder's MO in that he kidnapped women, sexually abused them and ultimately killed and disposed of them in hog confinement facilities. If you go back even to the early 80's, Iowa has had kidnappings (disappeareances) in both urban areas (the Des Moines Paper Boys) and rural areas (most recently Jake Wilson), Mollie, Jodie Huisentruit, Elizabeth Collins/Lyric Cook (found), Evelyn Miller (found) etc etc. For being a rural state, we sadly have our sickos. I've been to rural towns in central Iowa including Grinnell, Newton etc. Even in a semi-urbanized setting like that, it drops off into rural areas and corn fields/hog lots quickly. There is ample area in Iowa to dispose off someone and it doesn't have to be a cornfield. Hog confinements are now all in a building and the discharge/effluent pond is outside the building. It is a teaming cesspool and thick and nothing in there would be found even if dragged. I'm assuming the Iowa State Patrol, which does have aerial assets, used forward looking infrared (FLIR) to search the corn fields to detect a heat signature earlier in Mollie's disappearance. Even if she was deceased, her ambient temperature would be higher (initially) than a cool Iowa evening. I think people are over analyzing this disappearance. I am praying that Mollie is alive but all of these towns have one or two or three disaffected sexual degenerates. You can check that by looking at the Iowa Sex Offender Registry. I don't think she's that far from her home and I believe that whomever took her was either local or in a town or two over. I do hope she is found (safely) for the family to have closure. Other families like the Gosch's, Martins and Huisentruit's have literally been waiting decades. If you have Iowa questions you want answered, post them. I'll take a crack!

Welcome here!! Good to have more locals who can give us a sense of what it's like there.

I can't believe we're up to thread #18 already and we have no info really.

Welcome all newbies!!!

And yet some think interest is waning. Yet we are going through these threads at lightening speed with little clear info.

You have to have a suspected crime to attach a search warrant to. Just cant get them on a whim. It has to contain not only the address and property description and curtilage, the requesting officer has to say in a supporting affidavit why he wants to search the property and what they are looking for and why that location is relevant.

Some judges or magistrates require a more detailed affidavit than others. I have seen them two sentences long and I have seen them five pages long. If reporters know where to look, they could ask the appropriate court clerk to see any search warrant "returns." It's not clear if the Southern District of Iowa or the county is the issuing jurisdiction. Persons with ownership or control over property searched usually receive a copy of the warrant so if warrants were served at locations in or near Brooklyn, there would be copies available if the recipients chose to disclose them. I would imagine any warrants returned to the issuing court have been sealed.

As Whiteorchid said on the previous thread, parole or probation conditions often include the right to search a person, their things or property, without a warrant.

When discussing WC, that's super important to know in terms of the meaning of the searches.

LE would likely take full advantage of that if it's near an area Mollie might have been to or near.

This is somewhat OT, especially if it seems that she disappeared during her run, but for those of you in/from small towns where people don't lock their doors--do you not lock them overnight, either? Or when you leave the home? I'm a city gal (well, suburbanite, at least), and our house is locked up tight during the day, whether we're home or not, and we have a security alarm on at night. I cannot fathom leaving the house unlocked while I'm at home sleeping. Even out in the country, that would totally creep me out. And staying at the house alone? I guess having large dogs in the house makes people feel safer, but I wouldn't even count on that.

Resident of a town of 1000 here who has always lived in smaller towns.

I usually lock the door at night.

During the day I leave it unlocked, for a couple of reasons. For one, there's a homeschooled family of 8 right across the street, so nobody can mess around my property without being seen. And for another, if someone is bent on robbing me a locked door isn't likely to stop him. I'd much rather deal with a robbery than a busted door on top of a robbery.

I am from a small rural town in Indiana. Not far from the two Delphi girls who were murdered. Years ago we wouldn't lock our doors day or night however with the change of times and the ramping up of gang activity, robberies, and the drug situation, yes I do lock our doors. Now if I'm making a quick trip in town or down the road, I'll leave the door wide open. Does that make sense? Probably not. lol

I grew up in a fairly rural, small town. My mother *always* locked our doors at night and put the alarm on, because her biggest fear was something happening to her kids. But, during the day, the doors were left unlocked. Growing up, all of my friends' houses doors were unlocked at all hours. I think people feel that living in the middle of nowhere nothing will happen, but in my opinion it's more scary.

I lock my bedroom door even....esp after watching the story about the serial killer in California for years cased homes and came back at night after loosening a window or mapping out an entry..keep my gun handy too...

And I just pulled up the Iowa court docket online and wow......WC has a record a mile long! Trespass, harassment 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree, violation of probation, contempt violation of several protective orders, 3rd degree burglary, and stalking to name a few.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned that maybe they have a suspect, but the suspect has fled. If that were the case, I would think they would hold a press conference, asking the public for help finding the person -- even if they describe the person only as a "potential witness" who they'd like to talk with.

As for who did it? For now, I'm betting on it being someone on the outer edge of her circle. Maybe a store clerk who saw her a few times and maybe even chatted with her, or a classmate, a casual acquaintance. Someone she had incidental contact with -- the contact didn't mean much to her, at least not enough for her to mention it to her inner circle, but for the other person, it was mistakenly taken as something more.

I'm not buying into:
  • Suicide
  • Run off and start new life
  • Secret boyfriend
  • Pig farmer
I'm not ruling out abduction by stranger. I stand by my statement that such abductions of adults are extremely rare. But in this case, it's a possibility because there is so much that doesn't make sense. The level of FBI involvement also supports this.

We can assume, by the way, that if it happened at the house, this was not a robbery-gone-bad or a typical sexual assault or killing. If it were, why remove her (or her body)?

If it happened while jogging, that's a whole other story. She or her body could be anywhere.

Her mom seemed to speak frankly last week, revealing certain things LE would not. I doubt very much they are being “coached”. I doubt they know much more than we do. Especially if all the people close to Molie are being investigated. Jmo
I saw where Mom gave info about her routine, number of red shirts, computer being used for homework, dogs in basement etc... I didn’t see anything from Mom, saying who she thought abducted her daughter however. Perhaps, Dad is just going that route in hopes his daughter isn’t being harmed, but it was such a direct statement of his daughter being held by someone she knows, that I can’t help but think there was more to it. If it is just wishful thinking, and the perp is a stranger, Dad may have inadvertently bought Mollie more time. Again, the opposite is true, if he is speculating and hit the nail on the head. I can’t imagine what they are going through and my heart goes out to them. But if they aren’t being coached by LE, it might be best for them to stay away from the media. I’m sure the last thing they would want would be to complicate the case even further.

i am surprised LE has not focused more on the vandalism that happened at the hardware store around the time she went missing. that town is so small that i'm sure any type of crime reported there would be few and far between. it's even more alarming because Mollie went missing the same night (supposedly).

i've spoken about this before in one of the earlier threads, but i live in a small town in Illinois not much bigger than Brooklyn. this case somewhat reminds me of something that happened in my town a while ago. when i was a kid in 2002/2003, a young girl was kidnapped from her home in the middle of the night, sexually assaulted, killed and then dumped in the forest preserve right outside of our town. they found her body that day. her father was the only suspect our police had and coerced him into confessing by interrogating him for days and telling him that he did it. there was no evidence that he did. LE never found out who actually killed her until around 2011. a house in the young girl's neighborhood was burglarized the same night of her kidnapping. the police NEVER looked into it. the man who killed her was the burglar. there are threads about this case on here actually, and before they found who did it i saw that some posters actually wondered why they weren't investigating the burglary that happened in the neighborhood. this goes to show that some of our theories could actually have some truth to them.

i'm not saying that the vandalism at the hardware store and Mollie's disappearance are connected. but i think LE definitely needs to look into that (and for all we know they could have already). a lot of cases are much more simpler than they seem. if they could identify the vandals, they could have potentially seen something going on around the area while they were vandalizing the store.

just sharing some info that might be interesting to you all! hope Friday's PC has some more details than what we already know, and i hope Mollie comes home soon.

ETA--I don't usually bother locking my car's doors when it's in the driveway, but my sister's husband recently found a man in their minivan in their driveway, looking for something to steal, so now I'm even a little more careful about locking my car doors as well!

I live in a suburb of NYC, so, not really small town...but we went for YEARS not locking our front door, because the door was very old, and the lock was wonky. We didn’t even lock it at night, although it was locked when we went away on vacation. Now we have a nice, new, front door that we can easily lock, and more importantly, can unlock-and we have enough keys for all family members. This is my reason, although if I felt unsafe in my house, we would have locked it. I’m going to speculate that the reason Mollie’s boyfriend’s house was habitually unlocked is that maybe Mollie didn’t have a key for some reason, or that there was an issue with the door, and all of the residents of that house felt comfortable in that house, with an unlocked door, especially with dogs in the house. As far as I was always concerned, if my dogs weren’t barking, nobody was out there, and maybe it was the same for them.

That solid timeline would have to be back to the house on the computer with time and date stamps and then the pings from towers by WC house. When were those last cell pings? That is probably key on timeline here

Agreed. I’m not sure why this isn’t a huge discussion on this thread. Haven’t heard any arguments that make it irrelevant. My town is 2,500 people and we just don’t have vandalism and burglary happen in a couple days without law enforcement high alert. In fact, rarely rarely happens. To me, there was signs of bad activity in the town leading up to the disappearance.
There has been some discussion in earlier threads as people started the scour the local police reports from the Sheriffs office. I remember discussion of the breakin close to MT house as well as the phone hangups reported. Pure speculation unfortunately as we have no info but some tossed out the idea of the area being cased or someone was looking for MT. I read an article in the DM Register the other day that I now cannot relocate as I wanted to post a link here. The jist of the article was how phone scammers have become extrememely aggressive in Iowa and some are even making threats of showing up to your house at a specific hour etc. Its possible some of the hangup calls could have been related to phone scammer. It would be interesting to see which houses in Brooklyn got the hang up calls and if they were at all close to MT house or her mothers house.

I think the families are generally coached, and on body language too. However, in NYC, Karina Vetrona's mom was waving a fist and screaming at the press conference. "You will rot in h*ll," etc.

We do have some information, and I think we can build on that. Tempting as it may be come up with scenarios that are not related to what we know, if we ensure that we include what we know in any scenario, we might figure out what really happened faster.

We know that:
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
Please feel free to add to this list of what we do know.

Some of these may not be what you are looking for, so please feel free to pick and choose for your list! :)

The dogs were in the basement
Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses.
Video was collected from various businesses
She doesn't run after dark
She usually runs for 45 minutes
She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
No signs of struggle in the home
She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
Her usual routine was run, shower or eat (depends), homework, bed
Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day

There is a picture of the hardware store damage in an earlier thread. The door looked like it had been hit with a bat or hammer as it shattered but did not break. There also was some grafitti. If you want the eyewitness report then check out the article where the barkeep from the bar across the street was interviewed as she was the one that called the police about the hardware store damage.

You are talking about the hardware store. I am talking about the burglary call regarding the white HOUSE up the road from the BF's house on the very same street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jend1184