Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I’m not sure why this isn’t a huge discussion on this thread. Haven’t heard any arguments that make it irrelevant. My town is 2,500 people and we just don’t have vandalism and burglary happen in a couple days without law enforcement high alert. In fact, rarely rarely happens. To me, there was signs of bad activity in the town leading up to the disappearance.
There were also events near Brooklyn over the week during which Mollie went missing, a county fair or carnival of some sort, and bicycle riders came through on a big group ride (and kept a lookout for Mollie).

These events and it being high summer could have brought more people into town than typically are out and about, and could cause an uptick in crime there IMO.

There was also a broken window reported at the hardware store in town.

So that makes 3 crimes in Brooklyn that week:
1) Mollie disappeared from home
2) A burglary occurred at a home in her neighborhood
3) Vandalism occurred at a business in town

ACG2x posted: (post #1063, thread 17)
"When I run or exercise, the last thing I want to do when I get back is keep on my sweaty workout clothes. Some may be different but I feel gross leaving them on. At the very least, I'll towel myself off and change clothes if I don't have time for a full shower but typically will shower off and change into clean ones."

I agree with your logic, ACG2x.

I would imagine that Mollie had 3 or 4 different outfits at the very least, to jog in.
She was known to jog on a daily basis.

Having said that, it has been indicated by the authorities as well as Mollie's Mom that jogging clothes are missing. I take this as meaning that one jogging top and one pair of jogging pants are missing.

She would need at least two pairs of running clothes or she would be washing them every night.

i am surprised LE has not focused more on the vandalism that happened at the hardware store around the time she went missing. that town is so small that i'm sure any type of crime reported there would be few and far between. it's even more alarming because Mollie went missing the same night (supposedly).

i've spoken about this before in one of the earlier threads, but i live in a small town in Illinois not much bigger than Brooklyn. this case somewhat reminds me of something that happened in my town a while ago. when i was a kid in 2002/2003, a young girl was kidnapped from her home in the middle of the night, sexually assaulted, killed and then dumped in the forest preserve right outside of our town. they found her body that day. her father was the only suspect our police had and coerced him into confessing by interrogating him for days and telling him that he did it. there was no evidence that he did. LE never found out who actually killed her until around 2011. a house in the young girl's neighborhood was burglarized the same night of her kidnapping. the police NEVER looked into it. the man who killed her was the burglar. there are threads about this case on here actually, and before they found who did it i saw that some posters actually wondered why they weren't investigating the burglary that happened in the neighborhood. this goes to show that some of our theories could actually have some truth to them.

i'm not saying that the vandalism at the hardware store and Mollie's disappearance are connected. but i think LE definitely needs to look into that (and for all we know they could have already). a lot of cases are much more simpler than they seem. if they could identify the vandals, they could have potentially seen something going on around the area while they were vandalizing the store.

just sharing some info that might be interesting to you all! hope Friday's PC has some more details than what we already know, and i hope Mollie comes home soon.

And did the vandals burglarize a house the night before which someone on the board says was reported. Was Mollie in the wrong place at the wrong time and witnessed those same vandals that were possibly in town for two days in a row. Did they follow her home? Did they watch her inside the house? Was the doors unlocked making it easy to follow her and come in later that night after her computer work. If the house was completely normal then I’d say nobody was in the house at all. FBI should be able to tell if someone was forced out of the home or if something looked rushed or out of place.

This is somewhat OT, especially if it seems that she disappeared during her run, but for those of you in/from small towns where people don't lock their doors--do you not lock them overnight, either? Or when you leave the home? I'm a city gal (well, suburbanite, at least), and our house is locked up tight during the day, whether we're home or not, and we have a security alarm on at night. I cannot fathom leaving the house unlocked while I'm at home sleeping. Even out in the country, that would totally creep me out. And staying at the house alone? I guess having large dogs in the house makes people feel safer, but I wouldn't even count on that.

ETA--I don't usually bother locking my car's doors when it's in the driveway, but my sister's husband recently found a man in their minivan in their driveway, looking for something to steal, so now I'm even a little more careful about locking my car doors as well!
i just posted in this thread about a case that happened in my small town (about 5000 people) in 2002/2003. nobody ever locked their doors before that happened. as soon as that little girl went missing and her body was found, everyone began to lock their doors, get security systems, and everyone stayed in their houses. especially since they didn't find her murderer for years after. everyone i know locks their doors ever since.

I’ve been waiting to be able to post on here. But my theory for the past couple of days is that she asked a friend for a ride to get her car from her moms (don’t know who that could be, maybe someone she only has contact with, that nobody knows about). Maybe something occurred during their drive and the person did something or took her somewhere else. If they don’t know for sure that she was out running and know for sure that nothing happened in the house. My thoughts are she left voluntarily, she left to go to work and was approached, she asked for a ride, or she opened the door to someone she knew and they took her.
or she was already headed over there and someone she knew offered to take her the rest of the way

There has been some discussion in earlier threads as people started the scour the local police reports from the Sheriffs office. I remember discussion of the breakin close to MT house as well as the phone hangups reported. Pure speculation unfortunately as we have no info but some tossed out the idea of the area being cased or someone was looking for MT. I read an article in the DM Register the other day that I now cannot relocate as I wanted to post a link here. The jist of the article was how phone scammers have become extrememely aggressive in Iowa and some are even making threats of showing up to your house at a specific hour etc. Its possible some of the hangup calls could have been related to phone scammer. It would be interesting to see which houses in Brooklyn got the hang up calls and if they were at all close to MT house or her mothers house.

Could the phone hangups be someone trying to determine who to burglarize next. If you pick up your home and call the next house. If they don’t answer they are sleeping or not home. Targeting vacant houses possibly.

We do have some information, and I think we can build on that. Tempting as it may be come up with scenarios that are not related to what we know, if we ensure that we include what we know in any scenario, we might figure out what really happened faster.

We know that:
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
Please feel free to add to this list of what we do know.
We actually don't know any of that. Some of it comes from her mother. Some of it comes from Facebook posts or comments. Some of it is pure speculation. Some of these will turn out to be correct. Law enforcement has not confirmed any of these things. That seems to be the major problem with this case. A complete lack of confirmed information - other than Mollie is missing and who has been cleared.

Here's an updated list of what we know to keep in mind regarding any possible scenarios:
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM

Resident of a town of 1000 here who has always lived in smaller towns.

I usually lock the door at night.

During the day I leave it unlocked, for a couple of reasons. For one, there's a homeschooled family of 8 right across the street, so nobody can mess around my property without being seen. And for another, if someone is bent on robbing me a locked door isn't likely to stop him. I'd much rather deal with a robbery than a busted door on top of a robbery.

But then, you’re dealing with an insurer which will not be happy about the easy entry to your home...they also should be happy not to have to pay for a busted door

Yes, it makes for some entertaining reading. For more fun reading take a look at some of the cases that have been kicking around in the county and/or town over the past few years. Very colorful reading. One issue that I don't think violates TOS here was looking at the DUI issues in the region as I noticed a fair volume of warnings in police logs along with cases related to more serious accidents. I looked but couldn't find stats from the state on DUI by county or town but my sense from just looking at police logs is that some folks still like to drink and drive.

Here's a screenshot of the police report that includes the burglary that occurred on 7/16/18 on West Des Moines. It is a separate incident from the vandalism that occurred at the hardware store.
In Iowa, the crime of burglary is defined by Iowa Code section 713.1 as what any person, having the intent to commit a felony, assault or theft therein, who, having no right, license or privilege to do so, enters an occupied structure, such occupied structure not being open to the public, or who remains therein after it is closed to the public or after the person’s right, license or privilege to be there has expired, or any person having such intent who breaks an occupied structure, commits burglary.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
And did the vandals burglarize a house the night before which someone on the board says was reported. Was Mollie in the wrong place at the wrong time and witnessed those same vandals that were possibly in town for two days in a row. Did they follow her home? Did they watch her inside the house? Was the doors unlocked making it easy to follow her and come in later that night after her computer work. If the house was completely normal then I’d say nobody was in the house at all. FBI should be able to tell if someone was forced out of the home or if something looked rushed or out of place.

Wait a minute, the theory of the minute now is she was abducted/killed because she saw someone break a window? C'mon man.

Here's a thought... LE and the family have had a clear picture of what happened for about a week now... There have been discussions between the family and LE regarding who this person is, and possibly have confirmed the identity with another family who possibly have lost track of a family member, not declaring that person as missing, publicly, to keep the press out of the loop, but working quietly with LE.
LE sets up a timeline, gives the families time to try to end this through negotiations, all the while keeping close tabs on the situation, drawing a clearer picture as to their location. Pushing back any official media remarks, just to take the thought of punishment out of the picture... But, there is a clear red line drawn, which would be before the PC on Friday...
Just a thought, but I'm thinking (still) that this is being orchestrated.

I don't know any of this--but I'm guessing that the TV was off--just because that would have been so strange/downright creepy, that I can't imagine it not being mentioned.
When I leave our house for a short trip, etc., occurring usually in the daytime, and DH is not at home, I leave the TV on to suggest someone is there... But I am in a much bigger city (pop. 450,000), and I am a compulsive door-locker. This is a lot of help, huh?! :confused:

It would be interesting to know, in addition to about 101 other things. SMH
Positive thoughts for our Mollie, her family and other loved ones. Let her be safe, sound, and on her way back home.

Even if it turns out WC had nothing to do with Mollie's disappearance, at least LE and locals will know now to be very wary of him, with his criminal & stalking past.

I have read that he stalked an ex-girlfriend or ex-wife. Has he actually been convicted of stalking anyone other than a domestic partner?

And I just pulled up the Iowa court docket online and wow......WC has a record a mile long!

Yeah. The things that cause me pause when it comes to him include:

1. He apparently resides near or where her Fitbit last pinged.
2. His record.
3. The repeated questioning of him and searches of the area around him.
4. His willingness to speak to the media a couple times and to speak to LE, but NOT to take a polygraph.
One would think that if he was sophisticated enough to know not to take a polygraph, he would be sophisticated enough to know not to talk to the media or to LE and invoke his right to remain silent.
5. He seemed evasive and dishonest when claiming not to remember what the FBI asked him not seeing searches that were occurring right across the road from him.

But what makes me think this guy may be a red herring?

1. He may be subject to warrantless searches per probation or parole conditions, which means there wasn't probable cause to search him or his property.
2. As Mountainguy has said, he's almost too perfect of a candidate.
3. He isn't a sex offender (I think?)
4. He hasn't been arrested yet.

Last edited:
There were also events near Brooklyn over the week during which Mollie went missing, a county fair or carnival of some sort, and bicycle riders came through on a big group ride (and kept a lookout for Mollie).

These events and it being high summer could have brought more people into town than typically are out and about, and could cause an uptick in crime there IMO.

There was also a broken window reported at the hardware store in town.

So that makes 3 crimes in Brooklyn that week:
1) Mollie disappeared from home
2) A burglary occurred at a home in her neighborhood
3) Vandalism occurred at a business in town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics