Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery, in the context of responders, is not of a live person. When a person is alive, it is a rescue operation, when they are no longer alive, it shifts to a recovery operation. Remains are recovered, people are rescued. I'm certain there are circumstances where someone misspeaks and uses recovery in the context of bringing someone home... Arguably, that could be alive or no longer alive. This is somewhat of a generality in LE, but it is similar in Fire, military and search and rescue.

You're right. The upper red dot on the map would be approximately around this area. Google Maps

My original thought was the bridge over Big Bear Creek (left on your map). Evidence dump of some sort.
I posted a 3.1 mile loop map for Mollie that show 2013 images. Maybe this case has them updating some of those (seems unlikely).

Motive: Sexual

Type: Impulsive

Record: some type of record with LE

Cause of Death: Strangulation

MOO

Like others I found it completely disappointing that LE are asking on Day 26 for all of the info they should have requested at Hour 48.

However, choosing to look at the LE message in its most positive light, in my most optimistic opinion:

LE is seeking judicial permission to study several known People, Places, and Vehicles (PPVoI) more closely and they need your help.
  • They have gotten as far as they can with interviews and now they need warrants to search cars, buildings, phones, and electronic records.
    • Imagine they are looking at a former teacher, or have a partial image of a red car from a security camera, or know the house closest to last known coordinates of her iPhone. What can they do about it? Not much without cooperation. Ask friendly questions, make people feel uncomfortable, but no searching, no email, no texts, no cooperation from celular services or SM companies without a warrant.
  • However, when I viewed the list on the findingmollie.iowa.gov site, I chose to view it optimistically as a concise list of potential elements of probable cause which they are seeking.
  • Imagine LE has a short list, or known suspect, and is looking for probable cause
    • If they can assemble a critical mass, pattern of tips which include some of the listed elements, tied to specific individuals, vehicles, or locations, perhaps it will establish probable cause and support applications for search warrants.
  • Locals have the best opportunity to help, but some of those further away could contribute by providing key information remotely
Please read the list again in that context at the findingmollie site and see if you agree.

(I posted something similar in a conversation thread and thought I would post out here as well. Again, this is my most positive take, MOO, IANAL, ifso facto, to wit, etc )

Does changing the terminology to “recovery” mean they are 100% certain MT is dead?

I saw a couple of questions about search warrants earlier. In the PC, a journalist asked if "search warrants were honored" by social media companies. LE said yes, all of the warrants they served were honored. I think the question was asked because of earlier statements about trying to follow Mollie's social media presence. I don't think it's surprising - I think any judge would agree a criminally missing person's social media accounts are likely to have evidence relevant to the investigation.

Does changing the terminology to “recovery” mean they are 100% certain MT is dead?
No, I don't personally believe that is certain or known. I think it was more incidental if not accidental. I don't think they intentionally used the terminology, I think it was a slip... But a telling slip.

I thought the reward was specifically if SAFELY returned. has the wording for the reward been changed? if it hasn't been changed is there a separate reward for remains recovery?

My original thought was the bridge over Big Bear Creek (left on your map). Evidence dump of some sort.
I posted a 3.1 mile loop map for Mollie that show 2013 images. Maybe this case has them updating some of those (seems unlikely).
Thank you! I agree that makes the most sense and have update my image to the bridge in the previous post. Google Maps

brookyln isnt really remote its very close to a busy interstate, which brings in weird stuff, I still think it was a wacko pulling off a freeway maybe a rest stop, and seeing a girl running, thousands of sex offenders live among us.
I'm not sure there are thousands living among us. But there is an estimated number that are active right now, according to the FBI . I'm not sure what that number is, maybe someone else does. I don't want to state the wrong number. Sorry I thought it was serial killers you were talking about. Anyway, it would be interesting to know. Based on the number of crimes and investigations, there is a certain number of active serial killers right now. ( in US) I want to say around 300 but I am not sure. Does anyone know? Now I am really curious.

Last edited:
Perhaps.

Given the possibility that Mollie's abductor was only missing between 5PM July 18 and early morning July 19, I'm inclined to think that the abductor has done this before.

If this same predator has done this before, where and when did it happen? The most obvious connection is Evansdale Iowa on Friday, July 13, 2012. The date pairs nicely with 18-07-18, the day that Mollie was abducted.

If it is the same predator, then in addition to planting evidence that misleads investigators, this predator will choose a similar location for the body, like the Seven Bridges Park. He will know old bridges, slow shallow river, former recreation/party, seasonal hunting spots, and secluded wildlife area known by locals.

Even the Delphi girls fit that pattern.

Thouhtful post, @otto . Do you see this predator being somewhat local to this area? I have wondered about Evansdale from the start.

Like others I found it completely disappointing that LE are asking on Day 26 for all of the info they should have requested at Hour 48.

However, choosing to look at the LE message in its most positive light, in my most optimistic opinion:

LE is seeking judicial permission to study several known People, Places, and Vehicles (PPVoI) more closely and they need your help.
  • They have gotten as far as they can with interviews and now they need warrants to search cars, buildings, phones, and electronic records.
    • Imagine they are looking at a former teacher, or have a partial image of a red car from a security camera, or know the house closest to last known coordinates of her iPhone. What can they do about it? Not much without cooperation. Ask friendly questions, make people feel uncomfortable, but no searching, no email, no texts, no cooperation from celular services or SM companies without a warrant.
  • However, when I viewed the list on the findingmollie.iowa.gov site, I chose to view it optimistically as a concise list of potential elements of probable cause which they are seeking.
  • Imagine LE has a short list, or known suspect, and is looking for probable cause
    • If they can assemble a critical mass, pattern of tips which include some of the listed elements, tied to specific individuals, vehicles, or locations, perhaps it will establish probable cause and support applications for search warrants.
  • Locals have the best opportunity to help, but some of those further away could contribute by providing key information remotely
Please read the list again in that context at the findingmollie site and see if you agree.

(I posted something similar in a conversation thread and thought I would post out here as well. Again, this is my most positive take, MOO, IANAL, ifso facto, to wit, etc )
Thank you. Your thoughts are very encouraging to me. It’s comforting to believe they are targeting a few guys and need probable cause from witnesses and tips to obtain a warrant.

The timeline makes it all the more interesting the question the LE asked the mother, which I think was:

“Was she in a house at 9:45?”

Not “was she in her house?” or “was she in your house?”

What did the LE see or know at that point that made them ask this question in such a strangely worded way about her whereabouts at that very specific time? It’s kind of creepy.

I thought the reward was specifically if SAFELY returned. has the wording for the reward been changed? if it hasn't been changed is there a separate reward for remains recovery?

Everyone who has donated to the reward fund so far has done so under the "safe" wording/provision; and that language is still in use on the site and forms for making donations to the reward fund:

Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa

GhostGhost - I want to word this as non-antagonistically as possible (I'm sure you're intention are good):
the format you've chosen to post your theory makes it look like we're playing a game of Clue. Mollie is a person that deserves some respect.
Someone posed a poll question earlier in the thread. GhostGost was simply responding in the format in which it was posed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flying_fox1