Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delphi also said the community was/is safe and we all know BG hasn't been captured yet. I feel that's often a generic response so people don't worry or go into hysteria.
yes unless they had a suspect and were watching him 24/7 and they didn't so there was a threat to the public indeed!

I believe he had to exit his vehicle to be able to do what he did. If he did not get out of his vehicle she would have had ample time to call 911 as she told him she was going to do. I think he exited his car and was physically beside her when he was able to abduct her. Imo he was within inches of her at the time leaving her with no chance to escape or call for help.
I know the news is still fresh and feelings are tender, but I do wonder about the logistics of the abduction and murder.

At the moment, I'm thinking he did get out of the car and physically attacked her. He then put her in the trunk. At this point, I'm wondering if she was alive at that point? Or did he murder her on the road - that seems incredibly risky.

He took her to the cornfield and removed her from the trunk. I'm wondering if her murdered her at the cornfield, not at the site of abduction.

My other question is about the car wash. I'm assuming LE were interested in the car wash because they noticed his car on video there??

jmo

Isn’t there a way to shake/wave the newer iPhones to activate 911?
Not that I’m aware. Shaking it just erases what you typed. I have an 8 and only way for me is to push side buttons and the swipe SOS. Or ask Siri (if she’s paying attention). Or dial directly of course.

In not sure there are" many " who deny evil exists, maybe a few. For the most part in this day and age there is a huge awareness of the evil in the world!

IMO, calling it 'evil' takes some responsibility from the person who perpetrated it. They aren't evil, they are human, humans can do horrific things. Evil makes it seem like they had no choice or were made to do it by a force greater than themselves, but these people CHOOSE to do these evil things.

why was the FBI so certain and so outspoken about Mollie being alive? i thought that was weird during this entire case. i figured she was harmed during her jog and dead within a few hours. i don't understand WHY they insisted people don't search. she could've been found much, much sooner if they let people search around guernsey. i'm actually a bit mad.

In the arrest warrant, it states the video footage was collected "shortly after Tibbets was reported missing". But Rivera wasn't questioned until 8/20/18?
Does this mean LE had the video all along, but went back to it later? Or had not viewed the video until recently? I'm confused, has Rahn addressed this in the media?

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/082118+DCI+Arrest.pdf

Or the Sheriff's dept had it and at some point it moved to DCI's possession?

I have read these two sentences several times and get a very unsettling feeling about it. To me, it sounds like he checked his phone 'after' this happened and went back to where he left her body. Why?...to see if she was still there or maybe for another reason (which I won't spell out).

The Defendant was able to use his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn.

'Rivera then later guided law enforcement to her location from memory,' the affidavit continues.

I think he means that he started raging and violently attacking her, and he calls that a blackout.
It's not uncommon to hear this from those accused of violent crimes. MOO but it's a way of the perp saying they don't recall what happened at the time the actual act happened to block out their memory and thus internally accepting responsibility for it. Read the section about the murders of Nicole and Ron from If I Did It which was from interviews with OJ. He says basically the same thing. He started coming at Ron Goldman, then 'blacked out' and when he came to he was standing over them bloody with a knife.

I wouldn't be surprised if CR didn't remember clearly every step of the actual murder but it doesn't change the fact that he did it and should pay dearly for it. Period. Honestly, I could give a damn less if he blacked out or not or why. In my view, he murdered Mollie Tibbetts and thus should spend the rest of his life in prison.

Yes it is. Cell phone service is needed though

Sorry if this has been answered/discussed but do we know about the cell service in the area?? Makes me sick to think how scary that would've been to look at phone and realize there was no service to make a call. I pray ME somehow figures out that she was instantly murdered and felt nothing (probably realistically cannot figure that out- I know, but it would be comforting)

I was struck by the number of men who have been arrested who share the same name! It is one thing to track someone who is legal and using aliases. I wonder if CR is his real name? His only name? If he worked at the Dairy for four years doing seasonal work - did he actually work there for the WHOLE 4 years or did he work during a particular season and then work elsewhere for other part of the year?

Wondering if there are other victims??
I don’t see dairy as seasonal work. I bet he worked there permanently. I am sure they got his DNA and will be comparing it to unsolved crimes. I am wondering if before this he targeted undocumented women. In those situations the victim would be scared to come forward for fear of deportation.

Sociopaths don't view the world the same way as the rest of us.

I think this is something we all need to remember! Especially when it comes to the emotions they display and decisions they make. If you have a hard time understanding why a sociopath would do something.....GOOD! That means you are normal. It SHOULD be hard for you to think that way! It's part of the reason why investigator is such a hard job, at least when dealing with these types of people. Trying to put yourself in their headspace is not pleasant.

How exactly did police obtain the video? Did the people realize there might be evidence and call in a tip? And, why did they wait so long? Maybe they didn't think to view it at first?
At the PC, Rick Rahn said they were canvassing a neighborhood and were told about it by the resident. When I looked at the map for 1900 385th, I realized how far out it was, which makes me think that the resident probably did not think she would have been running in that area. From the map, I have speculated that she was on her way to her mother's house, meaning that after the intersection of Boundary and Middle, she normally would have run a little way east on 385, the turned left on an uninhabited stretch of road, then another left over to her mother's. However, because CR was following her and tormenting her, she continued east on 385th because there were at least some houses out that road. I don't know how accurate the map was, but that was my thinking. So, if the resident had no idea she would have been out his way, there would have been no reason to turn the information in. Once he realized it was possible for her to be in the video, he turned everything in and it took LE many hours to go through everything. Just my speculation . . .

For some of us, we uptake info from here to use in other settings away from this board. I learned something. I always do when I study another case. It's about lessons learned and maybe preventing something like it from happening again or aiding in other cases. If you don't learn, this is all for naught.

OK, what did we learn? What evidence, did we know before the arrest, would lead us to believe that the events we know happened transpired?

A couple of sleuthers early on - don't recall their names - advocated she was possibly hit by a car while jogging and then abducted by the driver that hit her. Whoever that was, you were closer to being right than anyone else.
Yes, I theorized that scenario, not because I'm so smart but because I overheard some men discussing this- if they were
driving while drunk, they ALL agreed they would not stop
and report, they would pick up injuried/dead person and haul
away and go home. Their rationale was driving/ killing someone
gets more punishment that simple hit and run. By the time they
were found by LE, they would no longer be drunk, thus less
punishment.
Warped thinking, I know, but this is what they said. Just goes to show how some people think in order to avoid punishment
and responsibility. Ted Kennedy/Chappiquidick scenario.

The screencap at the daily mail shows 2 different CR's ex-gf/baby momma profiles as "friends" of Mollie on FB. Wonder if one of those profiles was a spoof created by CR to keep closer tabs on Mollie.

And if the CR's ex profile who shows up as friends with Mollie's brothers, boyfriend(?) et al is the real IM or possibly a spoofed-by-CR FB profile designed for stalking:

Republican family which hired Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer insist he passed background check | Daily Mail Online

Is there a way to tell the exact date a FB profile was created?

Mollie Tibbetts case mystified police until a security camera offered a key clue - CNN

They watched the footage for hours before they could spot Tibbetts, said Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

The footage showed her running through an area east of Brooklyn and a car moving close to her. The black Chevy Malibu drove back and forth numerous times before it just started following her, according to an affidavit.

They linked the car to Rivera and "from that we were able to track his pattern in the routes in which he took," Rahn said.

This makes me soooooo curious to see the tapes. How much of the street could they see, that in the span of time it took her to job past they could see his car multiple times?

Mollies Mom just speaking on HLN.
Said he must have lived under a rock
Said a girl who worked at the grocery store and another business said she never saw him anywhere before
Must have kept a low profile

Like a typical criminal. He probably had his gf run all the errands. I do not think this was his first offence...

IMO, calling it 'evil' takes some responsibility from the person who perpetrated it. They aren't evil, they are human, humans can do horrific things. Evil makes it seem like they had no choice or were made to do it by a force greater than themselves, but these people CHOOSE to do these evil things.

I can appreciate your opinion but I definitely believe some humans are EVIL - it does NOT shift the burden away from them for me. No scapegoating. It just is the only word that applies to the depths of depravity some choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther