Found Deceased CO - Micah Tice, 20, hiker, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Longs Peak Trailhead, USAFA Cadet, 22 Nov 2018

All great questions. I wondered about the tennis shoes description too. Who actually uses that description? In France yes because they have no word for sneakers. Just seemed unusual to call his shoes that.
Maybe it’s a West Coast term? I grew up in CA and that’s how I refer to all athletic shoes. It drives my husband crazy (raised in MA). Says it’s the stupidest thing he’s ever heard.

I agree with carbuff. Young, healthy, sure of himself. Misjudged the harshness of the weather, overestimated his own abilities, didn't realize those in the know don't hike there this time of year. Very sad for all involved.
Sadly, this seems to the common denominator of most of these cases.

You never know though. Miracles happen everyday and this family could be one of the lucky ones.

Maybe it’s a West Coast term? I grew up in CA and that’s how I refer to all athletic shoes. It drives my husband crazy (raised in MA). Says it’s the stupidest thing he’s ever heard.
Ditto - I grew up in the Cascade Mountains in WA, that's all we called them, at least my generation (I'm 60).

I agree that depending on where one grows up in the US will depend on whether one calls ALL athletic shoes either Tennis Shoes or Sneakers.

In NYC we always called them Sneakers and it stuck with me and then I moved to a place in midwest where they call them Tennis Shoes and it drives me crazy because in NYC Tennis Shoes were only the type of sneakers used for playing tennis. LOL :)

So either term is used for ALL athletic shoes depending on where one grows up. Either Sneakers or Tennis Shoes.

I agree that depending on where one grows up in the US will depend on whether one calls ALL athletic shoes either Tennis Shoes or Sneakers.

In NYC we always called them Sneakers and it stuck with me and then I moved to a place in midwest where they call them Tennis Shoes and it drives me crazy because in NYC Tennis Shoes were only the type of sneakers used for playing tennis. LOL :)

So either term is used for ALL athletic shoes depending on where one grows up. Either Sneakers or Tennis Shoes.
I continue to learn new things every day.

So we can assume he was wearing sneakers? Neither are gonna be helpful on this type of hike. Imo

I continue to learn new things every day.

So we can assume he was wearing sneakers? Neither are gonna be helpful on this type of hike. Imo

Right. Thats how I took it. He apparantly did not have on any type of "hiking boot" that would have been the best type of footwear in those conditions. If all he had on were sneakers/tennis shoes then I am surprised his feet did not start getting freezing cold very quickly.

Maybe it was not until later that day when his feet got very cold and numb and he may have been too far from the trailhead before he realized his running/athletic type shoes he had on were not sufficient at all.

Last edited:
This article may have been shared before and describes Longs Peak. It is depressing to hear how difficult Longs Peak is even under good conditions. If conditions turned bad then it is not the type of trail to be on.

This part of the article really struck me and I have to think that maybe this nice young fit lad felt it was a challenge he would be able to overcome even in bad conditions.

"Many casual hikers attempt Longs despite the fact it is one of the toughest 14ers. Longs Peak casts a siren’s song over many people who are looking to test their mettle in the mountains."

"More than 60 people have died on Longs Peak and the majority of those have been on the Keyhole route."

10 Things to Know Before Hiking Longs Peak

Just for comparison, I took a picture of my low hikers. They're insulated, with Vibram soles, and keep my feet warm down into the teens. Great traction. If you look very closely, you can see a little tag by the laces that says "climaproof".

In New England, we would call these "athletic shoes." Sneakers are what your grandmother in Florida wears to get the groceries and tennis shoes are for playing tennis in.

Attachments

• shoe.jpeg
    shoe.jpeg
    17.2 KB · Views: 57
Just for comparison, I took a picture of my low hikers. They're insulated, with Vibram soles, and keep my feet warm down into the teens. Great traction. If you look very closely, you can see a little tag by the laces that says "climaproof".

In New England, we would call these "athletic shoes." Sneakers are what your grandmother in Florida wears to get the groceries and tennis shoes are for playing tennis in.
I can see how those would be mistaken for sneakers. Though not sure experienced hikers wouldn't know the difference, and I assume the hikers he ran into were experienced...experienced enough to be on Longs Peak Trail in late November.

In any case, regardless of what he was wearing, something has obviously happened to him. Maybe something completely irrelevant to his shoewear. But even if he had been stranded and had had enough gear with him to survive, wouldn't/ couldn't he have been able to self rescue by now? Or at least been able to signal all those searchers? All jmo, though realistic ones I say.

I can see how those would be mistaken for sneakers. Though not sure experienced hikers wouldn't know the difference, and I assume the hikers he ran into were experienced...experienced enough to be on Longs Peak Trail in late November.

In any case, regardless of what he was wearing, something has obviously happened to him. Maybe something completely irrelevant to his shoewear. But even if he had been stranded and had had enough gear with him to survive, wouldn't/ couldn't he have been able to self rescue by now? Or at least been able to signal all those searchers? All jmo, though realistic ones I say.

Yeah, I doubt the shoes are anything but a digression.

I suppose if he were injured but able to get himself into shelter, he might be unable to do anything but wait. Or if he got turned around and didn't know which way was out, and decided to wait rather than wandering. But you'd think the searchers would have been able to find him if that was the case.

Sunday's ground search efforts focused in the Boulder Field, Mount Lady Washington, Battle Mountain, Storm Pass Trail and the Boulder Brook drainage. Due to the best flying conditions since the search began last week, two Colorado National Guard helicopters from Buckley Air Force Base were able to assist with aerial reconnaissance, and search managers focused their efforts on Battle Mountain, the Boulder Field, the Keyhole Route, the south side of Longs Peak, Peacock Pool, Mount Lady Washington, Half Mountain and the upper part of the Roaring Fork Drainage
Search efforts For Micah Tice on Sunday involved significant aerial operations
So far searchers have covered about 10 square miles. The pictures at the link show how enormous the area is.

Praying today is the day Micah is found!!!!

Can’t imagine the worry of Micah’s family. Hoping against odds at this point. Knowing, if he is alive, he must be very cold and maybe close to death.

I’m in a Facebook group for parents with teens and young adults and that’s how I first heard about this. Someone posted Micah’s mom’s pleas and desperate need for assistance. Miracles happen everyday. Please let Micah be one of them.

In a Skype session with Denver's FOX 21 KDVR, Tice's mother Janice said details from those fellow hikers are very telling of who her son is.

"One of the men said, 'Boy it's really cold out here. I'm really cold.' So Micah is in sweatpants and a sweat jacket and tennis shoes and he says, 'Oh, I've got an extra sweatshirt in my backpack. Do you want it?' That's Micah. Micah is a giver," said Janice Tice.
Family holds onto hope of finding missing Air Force Academy cadet candidate

MISSING: Search suspended for cadet candidate

"Over a week crews searched a 10-square mile area.

Very few clues have been discovered during search efforts. Depending on the search area and day, team members have encountered harsh winter conditions including extreme winds, low visibility, bitter wind chills, below freezing temperatures, deep snow and high avalanche danger.

Snowfall and high winds in this extreme high mountain terrain make finding clues to Tice’s whereabouts even more difficult. Tice was reportedly wearing black clothing. In the absence of additional clues, active search operations have been suspended. Limited search activities may occur during winter months if conditions allow."

Tice was reported to be wearing a black sweatshirt, black sweatpants, a black hat, black lightweight gloves, tennis shoes and a light blue backpack. The visitors discouraged Tice to continue to the summit due to his clothing, footwear and weather conditions.
Snowfall and high winds in this extreme high mountain terrain make finding clues to Tice’s whereabouts even more difficult. Tice was reportedly wearing black clothing.

Search Efforts For Micah Tice Suspended - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Search For Missing Hiker At Rocky Mountain National Park Suspended
BBM
It appears that Micah was not wearing proper clothing or footwear according to the hikers who saw him earlier (assuming the NPS report is true). And his all black clothing hasn't helped searchers.

I'm so sorry for Micah and his mom but I understand why the search has been suspended. I have deep respect for all the searchers who risked their own lives this week looking for Micah.

Sad to read he has not been found. The wilderness and rugged outdoors such as the Colorado Rocky Mountains are unforgiving when things turn south.

I have snow skiid many of the main Colorado ski resorts and the mountains there were the largest and best mountains I have personally seen in my entire life.

Prayers for him and his family.

I understand them suspending the search. The potential loss of life to the searchers is just too high given the weather conditions, and they will not improve going into December. My kudos to them as well as the other hikers who did their best to dissuade him from continuing the climb into a pending storm wearing light gear with nothing but a small backpack.

I understand them suspending the search. The potential loss of life to the searchers is just too high given the weather conditions, and they will not improve going into December. My kudos to them as well as the other hikers who did their best to dissuade him from continuing the climb into a pending storm wearing light gear with nothing but a small backpack.
I will continue to wonder why he was so determined to hike this trail at this time of year, with the weather being was it was...and also seemingly being regretfully ill-prepared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saky
Back