TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Regarding my post about the murder in Baytown solved by familial DNA in only two years, I would like to add an addendum for non-locals.

Baytown is kind of considered to be the red-headed step-child of Houston, with a population of approximately 76,ooo. (Please no offense meant to the Baytown community, my own mother and aunt are from Baytown.)

Baytown is putting y’all to shame, Houston. I am Houston born and raised, and pro police to a fault, but I have always heard for years “if you get yourself murdered, pray it’s not in Houston.”

What can I do, Mocity. Petitions? Phone calls? I think the time for patiently waiting has been done to death. Do y’all have a victim advocate acting on your behalf or an attorney?

Double post

Last edited:
( Another cold case just solved with genetic phenotyping:

IA - IA - Michelle Martinko, 18, Cedar Rapids, 19 Dec 1979

The Manchester community is totally surprised; many knew this guy for decades.
Manchester community shocked at Burns arrest in Martinko murder case

Use of DNA technology:
Groundbreaking DNA technology helped find Martinko murder suspect
—-

Love this post by LE VI Falcon500:

People all over the country who have raped or murdered 30-50 years ago are peeking out the window tonight. They are waiting for that knock on the door. They know it’s coming.
)

It seems absolutely crazy we cant get HPD to move faster on the genetic phenotyping. My family has offered to pay whatever fees are associated. In my opinion it seems like a perfect case to use it on. If anyone feels like contacting them and asking to push it forward please do! We are doing our best and believe it will happen at some point but so far it hasn't.

It seems absolutely crazy we cant get HPD to move faster on the genetic phenotyping. My family has offered to pay whatever fees are associated. In my opinion it seems like a perfect case to use it on. If anyone feels like contacting them and asking to push it forward please do! We are doing our best and believe it will happen at some point but so far it hasn't.

So surprised this is not solved yet! If you'd like addl exposure for the case to generate tips & leads, the offer is still there to have the case covered on my podcasts which reaches over 100,000 listeners a month

What seems to be the delay?

Do you know which lab they are using, etc? Have they confirmed they ARE going to do this and explained what the delay is?

ETA: I’m recalling a quote from Leazenby in Abby’s and Libby’s case re: phenotyping iirc. lemme see if I can pull it.

Also is there a FB page for Cheryl and Andy, tia.

What seems to be the delay?

Do you know which lab they are using, etc? Have they confirmed they ARE going to do this and explained what the delay is?

ETA: I’m recalling a quote from Leazenby in Abby’s and Libby’s case re: phenotyping iirc. lemme see if I can pull it.

Also is there a FB page for Cheryl and Andy, tia.

It's no more than 3 months start to finish to do lab work on DNA, upload to GEDmatch, and do genetic genealogy. Then, they would get a direct sample from the suspect to verify the match, not sure why this is taking so long. The cost from start to finish is between $3500 & $7000

I agree on the DNA and understand the process. What we have been told is that they are following up "open leads" and there are alot of cold cases in Houston. Agree that is a LAME response but thats the one we are getting. There has been "some" movement in the last couple of months and the family is pushing.

" What we have been told is that they are following up "open leads" and there are alot of cold cases in Houston. Agree that is a LAME response but thats the one we are getting. There has been "some" movement in the last couple of months and the family is pushing. "

Yeah, well while they are following up all these unresolved leads from 28 years ago, other jurisdictions are using methods that work and getting results:

Suspect in Brutal Rapes of 9-Year-Old Girl and Woman in O.C. During Mid-1990s Arrested Through DNA Evidence: Sheriff

I doubt that Orange County has any less crime than Houston, but they seem to find the time and energy to look into a couple of solvable rapes from 20 years ago, while doing their daily crime-fighting. By the time HPD gets moving, the perpetrator in this case will be dead.

"I will share a recent blog entry about this case by a chap who I think is known as the Q man"

Yes, I found this independently (I have been following this guy-Gian Quasar-intermittently since he got involved in the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer case). There are other posts up there relating to this case. The one I found interesting was this one:

Establishing a serial killer . . .Kolchak Style

He makes a good argument for the fact that the guy was a serial killer who learned from his mistakes in leaving evidence and ensured that future victims would disappear. (Is it my imagination, or do a few of the women look kind of like Cheryl Henry?) Which is another reason why it's frustrating that HPD are sitting around following old clues instead of getting Parabon Nanolabs involved. They have some evidence. It would be great if they could use all the tools at their disposal to solve this case.

Come on HPD!

"I will share a recent blog entry about this case by a chap who I think is known as the Q man"

Yes, I found this independently (I have been following this guy-Gian Quasar-intermittently since he got involved in the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer case). There are other posts up there relating to this case. The one I found interesting was this one:

Establishing a serial killer . . .Kolchak Style

He makes a good argument for the fact that the guy was a serial killer who learned from his mistakes in leaving evidence and ensured that future victims would disappear. (Is it my imagination, or do a few of the women look kind of like Cheryl Henry?) Which is another reason why it's frustrating that HPD are sitting around following old clues instead of getting Parabon Nanolabs involved. They have some evidence. It would be great if they could use all the tools at their disposal to solve this case.

Come on HPD!

Good I think the offender was likely a serial one too and this of course is backed up by the DNA link to the rape case.

Admittedly didnt read through 31 pages, I will say that from what I read, this case has that eerie "serial" feel to it.

Would have zero issues stating that this was neither his 1st or last crime, hopefully modern DNA technology catches up with this

@mocity, I have an idea for you (standby, pulling thread for reference)

ETA: Fabulous, just seeing this post that @dotr brought this over here, yay, thanks, dotr.

Just popping on after margarita 25 suggested this case on thread...
'Cold Justice', Season 6. Here's How You Can Submit a Cold Case to the Show.

On an entirely different note, without having read the whole thread- wondering what if any significance there was in the deflated balloons hanging from the tree above Andy's body?

—-ETA2:

I see @mocity already saw my alert over there and responded, awesome!

Thank you! I watch this show and wondered how to submit it. I will do it this week! The problem might be that "local law enforcement must be willing to praticipate". Kelly Siegler is from Texas and resides in Houston I believe. She worked in Harris County for years so she knows all the players and if they would participate.

Mocity, as soon as I saw this thread I thought of you. Yes I did see that part as well and thought the same thing:
“local law enforcement must be willing to praticipate".

Wow about Kelly S, what a coincidence and possible cool thing here that she is from H and would know the players. Maybe she can inspire them to participate?

Please keep us updated on when you have submitted it and if/what the response is. Thank you and bless you, mocity, I’m really hoping this is the year for you guys.

ETA: I was glad to just see Verified Law Enforcement just post in your thread with some insight.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back