CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of guilty knowledge.

The logical thought process of the killer is that no legit cheques can appear to be created after the 4th - so that would present as the last chance to print a cheque. For some reason that cheque was created but not printed - perhaps due to technical issues, or the killer was worried about the computer activity being too late in the day.

Think about this. If he printed and cashed that first Paul Mitchell cheque it would place him at the crime scene absolutely, if (as they did) the computer forensics would show that it was printed only after Joey got home.

He came very close to 100% blowing it here IMO.

So a plausible theory is that Chase realised this potential incriminating mistake, and decided to go with the possibility to backdate the paul mitchell and following cheques.

That is definitely a possibility! But we know that he used QB for his own business in the past so I think he surely knew that he could backdate the checks before the 4th. So if he's guilty, it's just odd to me that he would even waste valuable time and risk getting caught at the crime scene and/or incriminating himself by messing around on the computer when he could just backdate the checks remotely as he had done earlier in the week. It wasn't necessary to create the check there at the McStay house but we don't know what he might have been thinking at the time so it's definitely a possibility. IMO.

He did, so? Are you interpreting it to be he wanted to be the focus of Joey's life?

I interpret as he wanted MORE of Joey's attention than he was getting.
As to the 'focus' of his life? I am not sure about that term, but he did say many times, in a positive way, that he and joey spoke dozens of times a day, hung out all the time playing paintball, having Joey to dinner once or twice a week, etc etc. So it seems like he did like that strong connection, even if we don't know if Chases's description is accurate.

That is definitely a possibility! But we know that he used QB for his own business in the past so I think he surely knew that he could backdate the checks before the 4th. So if he's guilty, it's just odd to me that he would even waste valuable time and risk getting caught at the crime scene and/or incriminating himself by messing around on the computer when he could just backdate the checks remotely as he had done earlier in the week. It wasn't necessary to create the check there at the McStay house but we don't know what he might have been thinking at the time so it's definitely a possibility. IMO.

He may not have known. I used QB for several years and I don't remember ever backdating any checks. I don't think I knew it was possible. I'd have to sit and try to figure it out.

True, but most likely found in the kitchen, considering as you pointed out, the drawers being out.

Something else. She as found with what appeared to be a bathrobe and without pants/underwear. Was she actually wearing the bra? Was she getting or gotten out of the shower when attacked? Or got out and went downstairs and was attacked? Maybe Joseph was attacked when she was in the shower and didn't realize something was happening but then heard something after starting to get dressed and headed downstairs.

Then the boys were killed upstairs in the bathroom. This actually coincides with a theory I'm formulating on the pants.

I don't recall that she was wearing a robe. IIRC the right side of her bra was outside the grave, the left side was inside, I don't know if it was specified exactly where it was located, meaning as if she was wearing it or not.

"So it baffles me that he would waste critical time after murdering a family of 4 to hang out in Joey's office creating checks for himself when he could simply do it later remotely, the same as he had earlier in the week. "

I am wondering if Chase was very concerned about the date, and whether backdating was even a viable option. So maybe he needed to try it quickly, otherwise he would have no option to create those multiple checks he backdated to the last day the family was alive.

So he very quickly tried one, it was successful, and he created the rest early the next day, from some other device near RC. JMO

Why would he have to try it on the 4th if he has already done it on the 2nd?

The one on the 4th wasn't edited and wasn't printed IIRC

Well, in his perspective at the time, he wasn't in the right frame of mind. He's not thinking logically. He makes the check and then rethinks about it and deleted the check. But he could have played it out, not deleted the check then calls himself from Joseph's phone. But he didn't do that. He spent the next 25 minutes contemplating what to do and ended up calling himself at 8:28 in order to create a proof of life for Joseph.

I interpret as he wanted MORE of Joey's attention than he was getting.
As to the 'focus' of his life? I am not sure about that term, but he did say many times, in a positive way, that he and joey spoke dozens of times a day, hung out all the time playing paintball, having Joey to dinner once or twice a week, etc etc. So it seems like he did like that strong connection, even if we don't know if Chases's description is accurate.

Keep in mind these replies started with the following:

Absolutely. Summer and the babies were the entire focus of Joey's life. Charles Merritt was not. He knew it, and he hated it.

Thankfully, statements like "so-and-so is my best friend, but I am not his best friend" in no way indicate wanting more attention from the so and so, let alone hating not to be the focus of so-and-so's life. This is not about a romantic relationship.

BBM, A dry run perhaps?
Possibly Joey was alerted/tipped off at that time someone was messing with his QB account/s?
And consequently a confrontation with Merritt ensued about it?

Well if I was to paint under an island (yes, I actually got down and did this) I would be on my knees and maybe slightly horizontal to reach a hard to reach area. But one thing I realized in doing my play-painting, I wouldn't be close to the wall but at arm's length away.

From my experience with painting, a drip (not splatter) tends to happen in between saturating the brush/roller and applying to the surface.

If the drip landed on the inner cup of the bra, this would mean she was probably not only laying down but facing up as well. That's how I'm envisioning it. And we know that Summer's face received several blows.
She might not have been wearing the bra when the paint got dripped on it.

Was Merritt a co signer to Joey's accounts? I don't believe he was, so how was he able to access Joey's QB accounts? Where did he get the password from i wonder?

Did he backdate on the 2nd? I am only asking because I don't think he knew for sure if he could backdate checks. And he may have logged in to look at the possibility to make certain. Because that night, the 4th, was the last night he could create checks if he could not figure out how to backdate correctly. JMO

Last edited:
I don't know that they got exclusive rights. They were the only one's that stayed and said they would be there. I'm disappointed because I wanted to "see" what the defense had. I think it's a shame that they have decided to pull the camera's at this stage. Will probably never follow another trial on L&C if this is how they run things. JMO

I think L&C were chosen by the other media outlets to be the "pool" camera. What a let down.

MOO

He may not have known. I used QB for several years and I don't remember ever backdating any checks. I don't think I knew it was possible. I'd have to sit and try to figure it out.

I used it as a ledger for a non-profit years ago, sometimes I would enter in cheques that were written days ago, I would have to change the date in QB's, I am not sure if this the kind of edit that would create a "backdate" in the audit history or not? Would be interesting to know.

Did Chase own dogs?

I have always wondered why he didn’t kill the dogs as well. He obviously had a soft spot for them as Summer leaving them behind just didn’t make any sense. Neither did leaving the puppy Digger behind who the boys loved and adored.

If the police were so inept it should of been another massive red flag. So it was a risky to leave them behind imo

I remember seeing a few pictures of him walking a small dog.

I think L&C were chosen by the other media outlets to be the "pool" camera. What a let down.

MOO

to be honest... I don't think they were chosen, I don't think the others would have been able to do it this long either. The 'local' news just doesn't seem to care about this case at all. It's really odd to me.

Because he never BACKDATED any checks on the 1st and 2nd. He created and deleted checks only.

On the 4th , he desperately needed to make certain that backdating checks was possible. Otherwise, he knew he would have to create a bunch of checks himself right then, while the family could still be considered alive and well.

Maybe he was able to figure out that he could backdate that check. So he was satisfied that he could go now and finish these checks the next day and backdate them.

I used it as a ledger for a non-profit years ago, sometimes I would enter in cheques that were written days ago, I would have to change the date in QB's, I am not sure if this the kind of edit that would create a "backdate" in the audit history or not? Would be interesting to know.
But in this case why would Merritt pose as Joey to the QB representative and why would Merritt try to alter the QB account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member