Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the rich Hollywood elites want. Our kids go to the best schools, we live privileged lives while the rest of us peasants live on government wages and get free tuition to community colleges and take classes that the government wants us to take.

Majority of the people on the list are rich corporate families. Maybe you need to read the article again?

It isn’t Hollywood, it’s the wealthy.

YouTuber Olivia Jade caught up in US college admissions scandal

In Loughlin’s case, she and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly paid bribes totaling some $500,000 for their two daughters to be accepted to the University of Southern California as members of the rowing crew team, despite the fact that neither had ever rowed competitively “or otherwise participate[d] in crew”, according to charging documents.

Bbm

Am I reading that wrong. I know I’m not lying

I don't think you are lying. 1. I am saying the school did not recruit them ( call them, scout them or go through the NCAA channel) because they would have had to prove their abilities that way. The school looked them as potential candidates for the team based on the word of the now-fired athletic director/coach ( LA TIMES: Senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and men’s and women’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic were fired after allegedly receiving bribes totaling more than $1.3 million and $250,000, respectively, to help parents take advantage of the relaxed admissions standards for athletes at USC even though their children were not legitimately being recruited as athletes) Neither daughter was ranked, rowed for their school or competitive community teams. The family intermediary talked them up and intervened with the athletic department to vouch for them. No coach scouted them. Their high school did not report their athletic activity. 2. If this girl was told by the other indicted people that this is how you get a leg up (using a sport or an illusion that you would row for the college and you had skills) she might not have known that it was illegal. Although she took the photos, did she know it was fraud? I don't know.

From People and BBM: "The complaint alleges that Loughlin and her husband had her daughters pose as coxswains for a local crew team and on rowing machines, adding that federal agents obtained emails from Loughlin and her husband allegedly implicating them in the scam.

Starting on April 22, 2016, Giannulli emails an unnamed cooperating witness and copies Loughlin saying that he and his wife had just met with their oldest daughter’s college counselor and that he wanted to “fully understand the game plan and make sure we have a roadmap for success as it relates to [our daughter] and getting her into a school other than [Arizona State University]!

On July 24, 2016, the corroborating witness emailed Giannulli essentially saying his oldest daughter was unlikely to get into USC on academics alone.

Thereafter, the Giannullis agreed with [the witness] to use bribes to facilitate her admission to USC as a recruited crew coxswain, even though she did not row competitively or otherwise participate in crew,” the complaint alleges.

That September, Giannulli sent the witness an email of his oldest daughter on a rowing machine a month before Donnal Heinel, the senior associate athletic director at USC, allegedly presented the teen as a recruit to the crew team.

Several months later, in 2017, USC mailed the oldest daughter her formal acceptance letter, the complaint states.

Later, when the witness asked if they would allegedly need help with their daughter, Loughlin added, “Yes USC for [our younger daughter]!”

The complaint alleges that the corroborating witness devised a plan to “present their younger daughter, falsely, as a crew coxswain for the L.A. Marina Club team, and requested that the Giannullis’s send an ‘Action Picture,’ asking a few days later for a picture on the ‘erg’ — or rowing machine, which Giannulli did a few days later.”

Heinel presented the Giannullis’s younger daughter to the USC subcommittee for athletic admissions on or about November 2, 2017, when a subcommittee approved her conditional admission to USC, the document states.

After the daughter’s admission, Loughlin allegedly emailed the corroborating witness: “This is wonderful news,” and used a high-five emoji.

In December of 2017, the guidance counselor at the younger daughter’s high school questioned her being recruited for crew at USC like her older sister, when she didn’t row, which Giannulli allegedly fraudulently confirmed for the counselor the following April, according to the complaint.

I wonder if some of these parents even dwelled on how this was "criminal" behavior? I think their biggest fear might have been that the university would discover and their kids would just be kicked out. I wonder if it even crossed their minds that they could be arrested. Were they shocked when the feds showed up at their doors to arrest them today? I would suspect that the fake test takers knew this day could come. But I feel like some of the parents may have mentally washed their hands of the dirty work and not seen any issue with it. What's a little check to get your kid into the status college? What's a little photo shopping of fake athletes? (Side note, I seriously cannot believe the gall of claiming your kid is an elite athlete at a sport they don't even play!!)

Even in this conversation with Lori Loughlin from the indictment. She is only concerned that no one from USC was asking. She wasn't concerned with law enforcement. Some of these people must have been so awesomely blindsided thus morning.

I really think the biggest legal issues for some of the parents may end up being with the IRS. The IRS doesn't play around - it doesn't matter who you are. I hope they go after them. This level of willful deceit and fraud is so blatant.

Attachments

• loughlin.jpg
    loughlin.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 19
I don't think you are lying. 1. I am saying the school did not recruit them ( call them, scout them or go through the NCAA channel) because they would have had to prove their abilities that way. The school looked them as potential candidates for the team based on the word of the now-fired athletic director/coach ( LA TIMES: Senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and men’s and women’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic were fired after allegedly receiving bribes totaling more than $1.3 million and $250,000, respectively, to help parents take advantage of the relaxed admissions standards for athletes at USC even though their children were not legitimately being recruited as athletes) Neither daughter was ranked, rowed for their school or competitive community teams. The family intermediary talked them up and intervened with the athletic department to vouch for them. No coach scouted them. Their high school did not report their athletic activity. 2. If this girl was told by the other indicted people that this is how you get a leg up (using a sport or an illusion that you would row for the college and you had skills) she might not have known that it was illegal. Although she took the photos, did she know it was fraud? I don't know.

From People and BBM: "The complaint alleges that Loughlin and her husband had her daughters pose as coxswains for a local crew team and on rowing machines, adding that federal agents obtained emails from Loughlin and her husband allegedly implicating them in the scam.

Starting on April 22, 2016, Giannulli emails an unnamed cooperating witness and copies Loughlin saying that he and his wife had just met with their oldest daughter’s college counselor and that he wanted to “fully understand the game plan and make sure we have a roadmap for success as it relates to [our daughter] and getting her into a school other than [Arizona State University]!

On July 24, 2016, the corroborating witness emailed Giannulli essentially saying his oldest daughter was unlikely to get into USC on academics alone.

Thereafter, the Giannullis agreed with [the witness] to use bribes to facilitate her admission to USC as a recruited crew coxswain, even though she did not row competitively or otherwise participate in crew,” the complaint alleges.

That September, Giannulli sent the witness an email of his oldest daughter on a rowing machine a month before Donnal Heinel, the senior associate athletic director at USC, allegedly presented the teen as a recruit to the crew team.

Several months later, in 2017, USC mailed the oldest daughter her formal acceptance letter, the complaint states.

Later, when the witness asked if they would allegedly need help with their daughter, Loughlin added, “Yes USC for [our younger daughter]!”

The complaint alleges that the corroborating witness devised a plan to “present their younger daughter, falsely, as a crew coxswain for the L.A. Marina Club team, and requested that the Giannullis’s send an ‘Action Picture,’ asking a few days later for a picture on the ‘erg’ — or rowing machine, which Giannulli did a few days later.”

Heinel presented the Giannullis’s younger daughter to the USC subcommittee for athletic admissions on or about November 2, 2017, when a subcommittee approved her conditional admission to USC, the document states.

After the daughter’s admission, Loughlin allegedly emailed the corroborating witness: “This is wonderful news,” and used a high-five emoji.

In December of 2017, the guidance counselor at the younger daughter’s high school questioned her being recruited for crew at USC like her older sister, when she didn’t row, which Giannulli allegedly fraudulently confirmed for the counselor the following April, according to the complaint.
Right,they faked recruiting to get the extra points of being an “athlete”

I think we are arguing semantics

Have you read the articles? You seem to be missing a lot of info
I read the articles. The articles also state that the students were not being investigated. So, I think they are innocent until proven responsible. That is all I am saying. I can't imagine that Loughlin's kid knew that her mother paid 500k in bribes. I just don't see the parents telling her. Getting her to pose for photos? Yes. Telling her that this is the plan based on what their contact said? Yes. But, I am waiting for her to be in trouble for lying rather than saying she is guilty even though she is not the target or being investigated.

This is what the rich Hollywood elites want. Our kids go to the best schools, we live privileged lives while the rest of us peasants live on government wages and get free tuition to community colleges and take classes that the government wants us to take.

Hollywood? There are two Hollywood people on that list.

I read the articles. The articles also state that the students were not being investigated. So, I think they are innocent until proven responsible. That is all I am saying. I can't imagine that Loughlin's kid knew that her mother paid 500k in bribes. I just don't see the parents telling her. Getting her to pose for photos? Yes. Telling her that this is the plan based on what their contact said? Yes. But, I am waiting for her to be in trouble for lying rather than saying she is guilty even though she is not the target or being investigated.

K

Thanks, I understand that. But, in the state where I grew up, it wasn't common practice among public school students to take that training for undergrad college admissions testing. For whatever reason, we didn't need it. Our high school counselors told us we didn't need it. We did fine without it, even won academic scholarships without it.

I'm not really sure why that system changed. Interesting.

This is giving me flashbacks to the days of Jack Grubman, the Wall Street equity analyst, giving fraudulent buy ratings on AT&T stock, so that Citigroup would get the underwriting side of business and the president of Citirgoup Sandy Weil would help get Jack's twin pre-schoolers into the elite nursery school of choice.

Wall St. and the Nursery School: A New York Story

Ironically, there was also an episode of Full House where Aunt Becky tries to get her twin sons into a nursery school by fabricating their applications that her two year old children were proficient at playing the bassoon. :D

Thanks, I understand that. But, in the state where I grew up, it wasn't common practice among public school students to take that training for undergrad college admissions testing. For whatever reason, we didn't need it. Our high school counselors told us we didn't need it. We did fine without it, even won academic scholarships without it.

I'm not really sure why that system changed. Interesting.

People parents and teachers started to care for the kids score?

Have you read the articles? You seem to be missing a lot of info
I don't think that any of us know the caliber of these students or the caliber of the educational system they were in. I was commenting on the myriad of ways that the system is gamed by people.

T
I don't think that any of us know the caliber of these students or the caliber of the educational system they were in. I was commenting on the myriad of ways that the system is gamed by people.
the schools were listed

Yup, and look up the backgrounds of the non-Hollywood people on the list. The ones I could find fit the same pattern.

It aounds like they would not be able to get into the school of choice.

It is interesting in that in the high school where my kids went to, grades were not enough. Kids needed lots of volunteering and sports.

Kids without wealthy parents work in high school, They cannot volunteer.

These rich kids had plenty of time to volunteer, but I wonder if they ever did

It aounds like they would not be able to get into the school of choice.

It is interesting in that in the high school where my kids went to, grades were not enough. Kids needed lots of volunteering and sports.

Kids without wealthy parents work in high school, They cannot volunteer.

These rich kids had plenty of time to volunteer, but I wonder if they ever did

Why volunteer when your parents can just write a check? (And I’m sure the recipient would happily confirm the “work” :rolleyes:)

Hollywood? There are two Hollywood people on that list.
I’m saddled with high interest loans and had to navigate everything by myself. Not even moral support

Parents don’t NEED to pay for it but should help a kid navigate through it and teach them how to look and pursue options.

In my case I resent my parents for just not giving a F at all.

We were happy to help our kids pay for college. We managed to pay half or more of their costs, they worked and got a few loans for the rest. Seemed fair and I wouldn't have it any other way. I had paid for all of my college costs, so knew it was a struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member