New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a sarcastic response. Clearly that wouldn't rid the world of mental illness and evil. But you asked I supplied the research. It is fact that the incidence of mental illness in a nation is reduced when there are social safety nets.
I'm sorry that you feel that I'm being sarcastic but honestly your premise that social nets could somehow prevent these mass killings is a big stretch to me.

No doubt from his writing he had an obsession with what he called invaders taking what he considered as his and killing off the future of 'his people'
He always veered back to birth rates.
Maybe more of a thought process. He was able to kill because he saw 'them' as less than.
Nationalism was the cause. IMO

He confuses religion with race. His actions is about religion, his written lunatic rambling is about race. He doesn't know what he's talking about or doing. It's a mess of confused thinking that:
  • Muslim is the race
  • Christianity is a religion
  • Judaism is not a race
Is the difference between race and religion provided in USA curriculum?
Just curious - journalists don't seem to know the difference.

New Zealand will urgently ban military-style semi-automatic rifles, with the government announcing a buyback just days after the shooting.

The country will also ban assault rifles, high capacity magazines, and certain modification parts, Prime Minister Ardern said on Thursday.

"In short, every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned in this country. We are confident as a government that the vast majority of New Zealanders will support this change."

An amnesty would be put in place for the weapons to be handed in, with a buyback scheme to be announced soon, at an estimated cost of $100 million to $200 million.

"That is the price we must pay to ensure the safety of our communities. The government has also immediately implemented a stop-over measure that will keep the weapons from being sold and stockpiled until the new laws can be implemented", Ardern said.

Government buyback of military-style semi-automatic rifles could cost $200m - 'The price we have to pay'

Australia tightened its gun laws following the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996 when 35 people were killed. Since then, there hasn't been another such attack.

The video has been classed as ‘objectionable’ material so I guess it’s the same now as sharing something like child *advertiser censored*. Seems fair to me, share a gruesome video of innocent people being slaughtered.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What about all the images and Videos of the 911 attack. You can see the planes flying into the World Trade Centre all over the internet. It was shown live on all the Television stations in the US. If 911 had happened in New Zealand, many people would be in a lot of trouble.

I'm sorry that you feel that I'm being sarcastic but honestly your premise that social nets could somehow prevent these mass killings is a big stretch to me.

What is a social net? Is it governance that ensures full socialization of citizens?
In countries where mass murder and serial murderer are common, social net may be a foreign concept.

What do you think the agenda could be? The company that conducted and produced the poll is American.
Don't know but there has to be some reason a company is claiming to measure what is not measurable since all humans are individuals and has different definitions of happiness.

What is a social net? Is it governance that ensures full socialization of citizens?
In countries where mass murder and serial murderer are common, social net may be a foreign concept.
That would be a social safety net.

Not sure exactly what it means.

Exactly. In the actions and 74-page ramblings of the murder, he reveals that he has a distorted, perverted interpretation of well known concepts and words. It would be refreshing for media to separate reality from this lunatic's version of the world. Instead, the media lacks critical reflection and accepts the murderer's words and actions as coherent.
I believe he knew exactly what he was doing, well planned out and what he expected to happen post attack is exactly what he expected to happen. I believe he's more cunning than most people think.

He confuses religion with race. His actions is about religion, his written lunatic rambling is about race. He doesn't know what he's talking about or doing. It's a mess of confused thinking that:
  • Muslim is the race
  • Christianity is a religion
  • Judaism is not a race
Is the difference between race and religion provided in USA curriculum?
Just curious - journalists don't seem to know the difference.
He mentioned cultural differences, but he always went back to his concern of others breeding at a rate he thought wasn't equal to that of 'his race' that soon 'his' people would be overtaken.
It seemed to be an obsession.
The mosque was chosen due to the large gathering (possibly lack of exits and surprise element) and because he viewed Muslims as invaders and a danger to his and whites futures on this earth.
Misguided on his part,but I think he was very clear on his reasons.IMO

I fear getting shot all the time in CA. And not by gang bangers. I fear getting shot in church, at a political rally, at a crowded concert, a parade, a restaurant and definitely in my office, by some crazed, disgruntled person.

I think most Americans do. Just watch how people react when a firecracker goes off somewhere in a crowded area when it's not near Fourth of July.

Fear of mass gun death is part of our culture. Some people think arming more will prevent those deaths others think that will increase the odds of getting killed as more people on the edge become armed.

But why the heck are we debating what New Zealand does? They're very free there. Very. Free in many ways that we aren't. And if they chose to give up arms that's not the government taking away their freedom. That's them creating a social contract for the good of their nation.

But New Zealand isn't the US. We have a very unique culture here (my BA is in American Studies so I know it pretty well) and guns have been a part of it from the moment we became a nation.

Guns are part of our western mythology. They're part of our American identity. They're part of the fabric of our country, whether you like that or not and regardless of the ramifications.

Guns for many represent freedom, self reliance, independence, the little guy persevering over the tyrant, etc.

People in other countries don't realize how embedded guns are here and that as result, what happens in other counties regarding gun control is not going to happen here. If it didn't happen after Newtown it is not going to happen ever without fundamental changes to our national thinking.
I live in California and I'm not afraid of being shot. I don't know anyone who is afraid. As for giving up guns, I don't see the population of New Zealand being allowed to give an opinion. That is why I don't find New Zealand a particularly free place, among other things I've learned from New Zealanders during this tragedy.

No doubt from his writing he had an obsession with what he called invaders taking what he considered as his and killing off the future of 'his people'
He always veered back to birth rates.
Maybe more of a thought process. He was able to kill because he saw 'them' as less than.
Nationalism was the cause. IMO

I think these last points are spot on. I feel perhaps rather than mental illness he was able to commit this horrific act because of the fact that he saw these innocent victims as less. People can be unsympathetic when they dehumanise a person/group of people, which allows horrid acts to be carried out. IMO.

A nationwide reflection for those killed in the Christchurch terror attack will be held tomorrow, Friday 22 March, Prime Minister Ardern has announced.

The Muslim Call to Prayer at 1.30pm will be followed by a two-minute silence at 1.32pm, at Hagley Park, opposite the Al Noor Mosque. This will be broadcast widely with New Zealanders encouraged to join in wherever they may be.

Planning is also continuing for a National Memorial Service, which will be held in Christchurch later next week.

“As a nation, as one, we will pay our respects to those who died in Christchurch,” Ardern said.

New Zealand shooting: Jacinda Ardern bans all military-style semi-automatic guns and assault rifles – live updates

A nationwide reflection for those killed in the Christchurch terror attack will be held tomorrow, Friday 22 March, Prime Minister Ardern has announced.

The Muslim Call to Prayer at 1.30pm will be followed by a two-minute silence at 1.32pm, at Hagley Park, opposite the Al Noor Mosque. This will be broadcast widely with New Zealanders encouraged to join in wherever they may be.

Planning is also continuing for a National Memorial Service, which will be held in Christchurch later next week.

“As a nation, as one, we will pay our respects to those who died in Christchurch,” Ardern said.

New Zealand shooting: Jacinda Ardern bans all military-style semi-automatic guns and assault rifles – live updates
I find the call to prayer to be beautiful and haunting.

I think these last points are spot on. I feel perhaps rather than mental illness he was able to commit this horrific act because of the fact that he saw these innocent victims as less. People can be unsympathetic when they dehumanise a person/group of people, which allows horrid acts to be carried out. IMO.
I think there was some illness in that he was so obsessed with his thoughts on the matter.
As if by killing some out of a group of people he could make a difference or even a point.
What is scary is he urged others to act as well.
It isn't as though we have to wonder where he is getting his cues.IMO

Last edited:
I believe he knew exactly what he was doing, well planned out and what he expected to happen post attack is exactly what he expected to happen. I believe he's more cunning than most people think.

Yes I agree. We have absolutely no information as to his psychological state or emotional health aside from what he revealed in the manifesto. He clearly put a lot of research and thought into what he planned to do. He made it clear that there were several options he could have used to carry out the attacks but he chose to use guns because he knew how that would affect the aftermath politically. He appears to be rather intelligent and cunning, surely NZ authorities have figured this out by now, and surely they should have concluded that no gun ban is going to stop someone like him in the future. So I fail to see the necessity of it. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard