Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM.... but is it? I've been busy the last few days so haven't had much time to read or research but it seems to me that if he gets the death penalty, everything is automatic, and I'm guessing the State pays for those first few appeals and his lawyers? If he gets life, does he still get that? It also appears that in California, it takes forever, I doubt that it's any quicker when the sentence is life opposed to the death penalty, so really.... what is the difference, other than the death penalty seems to be automatic and probably paid for? It's unfortunate that the process isn't quicker for all involved, especially the families, it will not be over for a long time....

From the link that @Meemaw12 shared about Westerfield...

Danielle’s mother, Brenda van Dam, strongly criticized the slow-motion appeals process for her daughter’s killer.

“We believe that the appeals are frivolous and without merit, and are unnecessarily dragging this case out,” van Damn said in a statement to NBC 7. “There was a full and complete legal defense presented by his qualified attorneys at trial, which put our family and all of San Diego through the ringer. It's time for the jury's verdict to be honored and justice given to Danielle.”

WHO cares about his appeals? The DP will have MUCH more stringent policies about him having a life while in prison. I bet you even HE is hoping for the DP, due to his previous prison experience and KNOWING what happens to baby killers in prison. If he gets LWOP, he will have to live among the population, which in his case, more than likely won't last long. If he gets the DP, he has a chance of dying in his cell rather than being a target on the yard. Even IF he gets Protective Custody, which they now call "The Special Needs" yard.

CM has made his bed, now he has to lay in it, IMO.

No matter what the sentence, IMO - CM will appeal. That's the nature of the beast.

I'm holding for a transfer to San Quentin and the psychological torment of isolation, others I've talked to want him in the general population so he cops a bashing as a child killer.

He'll get more than a bashing. He's a target just as big as Jeffrey Dahlmer was. Inmates like to gain respect/notoriety for taking out high profile inmates.

Even those who are sentenced to LWOP get one automatic appeal paid by the taxpayer's carrying the full burdern.

However for that automatical appeal to windup before the courts can take many years or over a decade to even come to pass.

I agree with Danielle's mother, the CA appeal process takes far longer than necessary.

It was said last year they were going to find ways to speed up the appeal process. It's well known that the CA appeal time is ridiculous. Most should have been executed decades ago. Many have lived much longer than the victims they murdered in cold blood. That's just shameful, and how over 700 juries have recommended death, and have yet to see them fulfilled. That is also a slap in the face to every jury who was there during the entire trial from beginning to end. All who knew each convicted defendant deserved death based on each individual case.

Imo, in the end none of this will matter to this jury or what the government may or may not do afterwards.

That is totally irrelevant to them. They are there only to recommend the deserved sentence for CM.

Imo, they are going to sentence CM to death because it is the only correct, and just sentence... based on his demonic evil extreme homicidal violent murders he did to 4 totally innocent victims including two little boys.

Jmoo
All I can say is wow and thank you Ocean!

IMHO, after the verdict was read, Merritt could be seen speaking to one of his attorneys and I believe he was saying "I don't want..." so I think it was Merritt's demand that his family not be called to mitigate on his behalf.

I found an interesting article (albeit from a VA case) explaining how crucial it is to present mitigating evidence despite a defendant not wanting to.

Wow, that is a quick date for execution they set. No playing around in VA. I see he finally got his wish (or not) in 1995.

I am actually rooting for LWOP. He is a total narcissist and Death bRow would be fine with him. He would feel special and he could be a lone wolf, just like he prefers.

I'd rather he be forced to live with everyone else and deal with other inmates and daily routine life as they do. He is not special.

I am actually rooting for LWOP. He is a total narcissist and Death bRow would be fine with him. He would feel special and he could be a lone wolf, just like he prefers.

I'd rather he be forced to live with everyone else and deal with other inmates and daily routine life as they do. He is not special.
I agree. I think Life Without Parole would be the sentence with the most impact on Merritt.

Last edited:
Another interesting article on Residual/Lingering Doubt. (Judge Smith in Merritt's case sided with the defense in including the Lingering Doubt comments in the jury instructions he read to them.)

https://scholarlycommons.law.case.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2277&context=caselrev

and from that link - a recommended residual doubt instruction:
You convicted the defendant because, after deliberation, you had no reasonable doubt as to his/her guilt. You may, however, have had some small amount of doubt as to the defendant's guilt that did not rise to the level of reasonable doubt. I call this small amount of doubt "residual doubt." You are allowed, in your sentencing deliberation, to weigh any residual doubt you have, against the aggravating circumstance(s) of the offense, just like you may do with any other mitigating factor. If this remaining doubt you have is "whimsical" in nature as opposed to actually based on the evidence that you saw and heard at trial, then you should not treat that as residual doubt and should not weigh it against the aggravating circumstance(s). By "whimsical" I mean any doubt that is imaginary or fanciful. In addition, if you are hesitant to recommend a death sentence because your conscience is bothering you, you need to determine why this is so. If you are hesitant simply because you want to show the defendant mercy or you are generally troubled or queasy about the death penalty, then your hesitation is not based on residual doubt. If, however, you are hesitant because there is something about any of the evidence from trial that troubles you, despite not giving you reasonable doubt, then this is residual doubt, and may be properly weighed against the aggravating circumstance(s) of the offense.

IMO, Judge Smith didn't clarify it this well.

Last edited:
Absolutely not ! They are segregated from other inmates and basically in solitary confinement. Plus, they are NOT able to have a job in prison.

There have been many recent articles and studies about the effect of solitary confinement.

It's important to remember this isn't only used on death row. A trans woman died in solitary at Rikers last week over $500 bail, because they weren't equipped to house her.

It's horrifying and I'm glad it's getting some attention now. I think most would prefer life in prison, danger from other inmates or not.

Solitary Confinement Is Torture

Alone, in ‘the hole’

On this one we will have to agree to disagree. Lol! This may be a first.

CM is like you say..a full blown narcissist. To thrive, and survive they must be around those who will continue to feed the beast.

Imo, if put in for LWOP, and GP he will quickly find those kind of people.

He has a undeniable need to put himself above all others, to tell his tall lies to others, and if he is in GP he will continue to find those kind of inmates to manipulate for his own personal gain.

On death row the only one he will see other than the guards who let's him out for one hour a day will be himself, always alone, and isolated like he deserves.

Narcissists must surround themselves with others. Its what fuels, and feeds their narcissism.

Imoo

On this one we will have to agree to disagree. Lol! This may be a first.

CM is like you say..a full blown narcissist. To thrive, and survive they must be around those who will continue to feed the beast.

Imo, if put in for LWOP, and GP he will quickly find those kind of people.

He has a undeniable need to put himself above all others, to tell his tall lies to others, and if he is in GP he will continue to find those kind of inmates to manipulate for his own personal gain.

On death row the only one he will see other than the guards who let's him out for one hour a day will be himself, always alone, and isolated like he deserves.

Narcissists must surround themselves with others. Its what fuels, and feeds their narcissism.

Imoo
He won't make it in GP or anywhere else except PC/SC. He has a target on his back. He's a little fish in a big pond, and the sharks smell blood.

9 years and 4 months and now this, I do hope someone else will live stream the Redwine trial when it happens, I have been waiting for that too.

Yes, this is the other case we keep waiting for where the psychotic demon continues to exude his defendant powers over the justice system from his prison cell (another case where justice has been delayed). Either way, it will be a very interesting Colorado trial when it starts and based strongly on blood evidence.

I also hope it will be streamed. Dylan's justice has been a LONG time coming.

I do really feel sorry for his daughter. And the son we have never heard from or seen in court.

I can't imagine what it was like being raised by this man. Being beaten for hours to prompt an apology to a sibling? Drunk and gambling Charles (Beelzebubba) must have made growing up a living hell.

I do wish Sarah Taylor Jarvis and the other son peace and hope they run like the wind.

There have been many recent articles and studies about the effect of solitary confinement.

It's important to remember this isn't only used on death row. A trans woman died in solitary at Rikers last week over $500 bail, because they weren't equipped to house her.

It's horrifying and I'm glad it's getting some attention now. I think most would prefer life in prison, danger from other inmates or not.

Solitary Confinement Is Torture

Alone, in ‘the hole’

The majority in CA still prefer the death penalty when warranted.

Thats why they voted it into law again at the ballot box after the death penalty was at one time in the 70s.. iirc removed in CA. The majority of voters voted to put it back as an option for the worst of the worst ..which CM certainly is one of those.

That's what is really relevant since these are death penalty qualified CA jurors.

The amount of inmates on DR shows juries do believe the DP was/is the just sentence for certain individuals.

I read a nationwide poll not too long ago that 70% still believe in the death penalty being imposed when warranted. Just like the majority of citizens still do in CA.

Imo

So, trying to catch up on my life. I've decided that I'm not going to worry and wonder about Merritt's sentance. I'm 99% sure it will be the death penalty and off to San Quentin he will go.
I have googled about life on death row in San Quentin.
Once you've proven yourself to be a cooperative inmate, there are benefits.
Up to 3 hours a day in the yard, writing materials, telephone calls, a radio and small t.v. Scott Peterson is one of the prisoners that have earned these perks.

Will Merritt behave himself? I have no idea really. I kind of hope not, so he doesn't get these extra "perks".

Merritt will also be somewhat of a celebrity there, as not too many of the residents have more then 2 murders under their belt, and certainly fewer still that have 4 murders with half of those being tiny little boys. He will be a rarity.

He just may have a problem making "friends". I'm way good with that.

I agree. I think Life Without Parole would be the sentence with the most impact on Merritt.

I've personally seen inmates go from the County system to the State system in my almost 20 years in Law Enforcement in California. I worked in County Corrections for half of my career and visited several State Corrections Institutions during that time. CM, being WHITE, will NOT be accepted by ANYONE in state prison for his crimes. Especially BABY KILLERS! His own kind (Whites) will be responsible for him in State Prison, just a FACT, whether you want to believe that or not now. There will be pressure from "other" prison gangs for the Whites to "Take care of their own." This is a FACT, no matter what we on the outside think. This is the reality of prison life in California.

CM will HAVE to depend on the State for his safety while he is housed in prison, for the REST of his life on Earth. The two major prison gangs are the Aryan Brotherhood and Mexican Mafia, which are literally nationwide in the US.

CM attempted to say the MS Family fled to Mexico, which will make him points (NOT) with the MM in prison, let alone the AB. I seriously can't think of a "Most Wanted" type of inmate in prison than CM now.

He will literally need to be guarded 24 hours a day, for his last remaining days on Earth. Just an opinion from one who has also dealt with such inmates sentenced to life in prison in California.

If CM were in Texas he'd be thinking about making funeral plans now. They would put him at the top of the list.
I PROMISE you his life is in danger here in California. If he is ANYWHERE allowed to be housed with other inmates, he is toast ! You CAN'T kill 2 babies, especially bashing their heads in with a sledge hammer. Inmates are incredibly resourceful getting "paperwork" (Court Documents) / Snitches etc to confirm their crime.

I PROMISE you his life is in danger here in California. If he is ANYWHERE allowed to be housed with other inmates, he is toast ! You CAN'T kill 2 babies, especially bashing their heads in with a sledge hammer. Inmates are incredibly resourceful getting "paperwork" (Court Documents) / Snitches etc to confirm their crime.
Maybe they already know who he is and are patiently waiting for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz