Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah - well, then, the parents are prioritizing the friends/the social life. They've considered all options (seriously? there are SO many - there are really well known universities that let high school students in, with those kinds of GPA's - but yeah, the social thing is more important).

The social thing will end abruptly with HS graduation, anyway.

Did the parents not consider community college? Because it's free units! And gives that high GPA student from high school the ability to excel at college work. It's also a good way to test aptitude - college classes should be next on the agenda for such students, anyway.

They should move on and take classes that fulfill their HS requirements - unless their state Ed Code doesn't allow it, but most do. They'll be done before they know it, but if they want to slow it down due to their social needs, that's understandable - but it's totally their decision and their parents' decision, it's not as if it's a failure of the system.

CoVid, at the rate we're going, is going to be about the same until a vaccine is available and used by the young. Might be a year. No choice but to plan for that, IMO.

No we didn't look at the community college for classes for an educational benefit. My daughter had over 60 CC credits going into VT. The CC college lead us to believe these classes would transfer towards a degree, they were NOT dual enrollment classes, hit full college classes. HA...VT only allowed credit as an elective towards a degree. We also checked the other schools she was accepted to UVA, William and Mary and several private college, all the same. CC classes are a joke when transferring, money is better spend on a 4 year college, unless its a 2 year program.

Yes, we do have programs for juniors and seniors HS student to live on campus/ online and take HS and college classes, graduating in 4 yeard with a four year degree. We looked at this when daughter was in HS. Colleges flood the academically gifted students with invites to participate in these programs, We even went to the Johns Hopkins parent weekend program. Its more pressure than we wanted to expose our daughter to. Our goal was to raise a successful, happy, well rounded, social adjusted child to adulthood. Giving her the best opportunity for financial independence, as well as being a good mother and wife, if she chose.

Mental health for all students is very important. Isolation is a leading cause of depression, suicide and mental health problems. Just Google....her parents and I have read many studies. This is especially true for outgoing, energetic and socially active kids and adults. Hardly a day goes by we don't read of folks committing suicide.

Education is more than academics, imho. It builds long lasting friendships, leadership skills, socialization skills, and the tools we need to survive in everyday life. An education or degree is of little use, if employees don't have/use socialization skills. They can become known as the difficult employee that doesn't get along with others, can't work in groups, bullies others, and overbearing. Most of us know the "kind" of person I speak of, smart but no fee like.

NO, socializatiom doesn't end with HS, in MY world. It's only the beginning of sharing the up and downs, successes/failure, meeting kids and grandkids of my fellow class mates. My elementary school classmates and I still have a yearly picnic at the park just like we did in school. We even do a bike ride though the old neighborhood, for those of us that can still ride. LOL Many of our former teachers and classmates of all ages, attend, we print memory books yearly to give out. It's advertised in the newspaper, radio and TV. Its great see everyone's family, kids and grand kids. Our oldest attendee is 94 yo our youngest just days old.

I/We want well rounded, happy kids, not kids living in fear. Fear is the adults job, not a burden I'm willing to place on kids who are already struggling with a lockdown.

I do believe and teach all children I encounter Universal Precautions. That's what we call it with the Gkids. Even the 5 yo, runs to wash his hand before eating, willing puts on his mask in public and never touches anything. Not from fear, but from education.

I'm more interested in raising grandkids that can successfully cope with what every the world throws at them. This may not be the only pandemic or world crisis my grandkids will experience in their lifetime. I am committed to teaching them how to live anything in the world throw at them.

So, as you can see your views and suggestions will not work in the environmental I strive to create. But I do thank you for the time and thought of your response and it may help others.

MOO...

Last edited:
40% of people with COVID-19 have no symptoms. Might they be the key to ending the pandemic? — The Washington Post

“When researcher Monica Gandhi began digging deeper into outbreaks of the novel coronavirus, she was struck by the extraordinarily high number of infected people who had no symptoms.

A Boston homeless shelter had 147 infected residents, but 88 percent had no symptoms even though they shared their living space. A Tyson Foods poultry plant in Springdale, Ark., had 481 infections, and 95 percent were asymptomatic. Prisons in Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia counted 3,277 infected people, but 96 percent were asymptomatic.”

Dr. Seheult talked about that in his latest video on Medcram (stats disagree on, but in line as to theory) as to why. Mainstream still needs to catch on to the difference between T cells and B cells... they are usually 2 months behind MOO

Coronavirus found on frozen seafood in China

Authorities in China have found the novel coronavirus on the packaging of imported frozen seafood that arrived from the port city of Dalian, which recently battled a surge of cases.

The virus was found on the outer packaging of frozen seafood bought by three companies in Yantai, a port city in eastern Shandong province.

The Yantai city government said in a statement the seafood was from an imported shipment that landed at Dalian but did not say where it originated.

In July, customs officers in Dalian, a major port in the northeastern province of Liaoning, found the coronavirus in the packaging of frozen shrimps imported from Ecuador, and China then suspended imports from three Ecuadorean shrimp producers.

Very concerning. I see a lot of shrimp imported at grocery stores. Checked my freezer early on and threw out 2 full bags. Better safe than sorry.

Coronavirus stimulus: Millions of Americans face potential eviction as protections expire and talks stall
778f6940-db2d-11ea-b2ef-f1ce5578cefe

30 million Americans currently at risk of eviction, according to an analysis of weekly US Census Data by Stout Risius Ross LLC. (Graphic: David Foster)

Nicole Strunk lost her job as a Village Inn server in St. Augustine, Florida, four months ago and said she hasn’t yet received any unemployment benefits — but she has received a string of eviction threats from her landlord.

“I haven’t received a dime of unemployment or anything of pandemic money promised for COVID-19, and we have been struggling,” Strunk, whose rent is $250 a month, told Yahoo Money. “My landlord turned off our water on May 13th and then turned off the electricity on us two separate times.”

Strunk is one of the estimated 30 to 40 million Americans at risk of losing their homes over the next several months after a federal eviction moratorium for government-backed mortgages expired on July 24, according to a new report from The Aspen Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

No we didn't look at the community college for classes for an educational benefit. My daughter had over 60 CC credits going into VT. The CC college lead us to believe these classes would transfer towards a degree, they were NOT dual enrollment classes, hit full college classes. HA...VT only allowed credit as an elective towards a degree. We also checked the other schools she was accepted to UVA, William and Mary and several private college, all the same. CC classes are a joke when transferring, money is better spend on a 4 year college, unless its a 2 year program.

Yes, we do have programs for juniors and seniors HS student to live on campus/ online and take HS and college classes, graduating in 4 yeard with a four year degree. We looked at this when daughter was in HS. Colleges flood the academically gifted students with invites to participate in these programs, We even went to the Johns Hopkins parent weekend program. Its more pressure than we wanted to expose our daughter to. Our goal was to raise a successful, happy, well rounded, social adjusted child to adulthood. Giving her the best opportunity for financial independence, as well as being a good mother and wife, if she chose.

Mental health for all students is very important. Isolation is a leading cause of depression, suicide and mental health problems. Just Google....her parents and I have read many studies. This is especially true for outgoing, energetic and socially active kids and adults. Hardly a day goes by we don't read of folks committing suicide.

Education is more than academics, imho. It builds long lasting friendships, leadership skills, socialization skills, and the tools we need to survive in everyday life. An education or degree is of little use, if employees don't have/use socialization skills. They can become known as the difficult employee that doesn't get along with others, can't work in groups, bullies others, and overbearing. Most of us know the "kind" of person I speak of, smart but no fee like.

NO, socializatiom doesn't end with HS, in MY world. It's only the beginning of sharing the up and downs, successes/failure, meeting kids and grandkids of my fellow class mates. My elementary school classmates and I still have a yearly picnic at the park just like we did in school. We even do a bike ride though the old neighborhood, for those of us that can still ride. LOL Many of our former teachers and classmates of all ages, attend, we print memory books yearly to give out. It's advertised in the newspaper, radio and TV. Its great see everyone's family, kids and grand kids. Our oldest attendee is 94 yo our youngest just days old.

I/We want well rounded, happy kids, not kids living in fear. Fear is the adults job, not a burden I'm willing to place on kids who are already struggling with a lockdown.

I do believe and teach all children I encounter Universal Precautions. That's what we call it with the Gkids. Even the 5 yo, runs to wash his hand before eating, willing puts on his mask in public and never touches anything. Not from fear, but from education.

I'm more interested in raising grandkids that can successfully cope with what every the world throws at them. This may not be the only pandemic or world crisis my grandkids will experience in their lifetime. I am committed to teaching them how to live anything in the world throw at them.

So, as you can see your views and suggestions will not work in the environmental I strive to create. But I do thank you got the time and thought of your respomse and it may help others.

MOO...

The socialization and leadership your granddaugher has as valedictorian, etc. also continues at the university level. We are always looking for those students who will continue this trajectory and become leaders of student government, apply for gubernatorial appointments to the university's board of trustees and represent students in institution-wide policy making and budgetary decisions, lead sororities and fraternities, and lead many of our 100s of student organizations on campus. Also, a student's leadership experience, etc. are considered by Admissions review committees at the top universities across the country, and points are allocated based on cumulative GPA, course of study, and leadership and engagement activities at the high school level, including community service. That is why parents of home-schooled kids have to build in these experiences and opportunities, to have a well-rounded resume/application as they go forward with their studies as undergraduate and graduate students.

Coronavirus stimulus: Millions of Americans face potential eviction as protections expire and talks stall
778f6940-db2d-11ea-b2ef-f1ce5578cefe

30 million Americans currently at risk of eviction, according to an analysis of weekly US Census Data by Stout Risius Ross LLC. (Graphic: David Foster)

Nicole Strunk lost her job as a Village Inn server in St. Augustine, Florida, four months ago and said she hasn’t yet received any unemployment benefits — but she has received a string of eviction threats from her landlord.

“I haven’t received a dime of unemployment or anything of pandemic money promised for COVID-19, and we have been struggling,” Strunk, whose rent is $250 a month, told Yahoo Money. “My landlord turned off our water on May 13th and then turned off the electricity on us two separate times.”

Strunk is one of the estimated 30 to 40 million Americans at risk of losing their homes over the next several months after a federal eviction moratorium for government-backed mortgages expired on July 24, according to a new report from The Aspen Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

Lots of people will have to move in temporarily with family members who can make room for them, if they can't find jobs and pay their rent. Landlords have to pay their mortgages as well, so they often don't have a choice but to evict. My hair stylist owned her own salon, but when the Governor of Ohio shut down beauty parlors, she couldn't afford the rent at her salon, so she ended up just walking away from her lease, paying what she could to try to break the lease, and she and her husband did some renovations in their mud room and kitchen to build a home salon. I haven't been there, but she sent me some pictures. She has done what she has to do to survive.

Lots of people will have to move in temporarily with family members who can make room for them, if they can't find jobs and pay their rent. Landlords have to pay their mortgages as well, so they often don't have a choice but to evict. My hair stylist owned her own salon, but when the Governor of Ohio shut down beauty parlors, she couldn't afford the rent at her salon, so she ended up just walking away from her lease, paying what she could to try to break the lease, and she and her husband did some renovations in their mud room and kitchen to build a home salon. I haven't been there, but she sent me some pictures. She has done what she has to do to survive.
She is the type of stylist I would feel more comfortable going to, in her house. I hope she does really well. Man, I could use a good stylist.

Tag: (Beauty) Things I Suck At

Medical workers, teachers, and other risk groups being inoculated first sounds sensible to me, but I worry that the priorities in America will not be the same.

Coming from 45 years in HC, this is the way it's always worked in the pass.

Healthcare first, kids and elderly, then general population,

Hoping to see the same. But VERY concerned the sports teams will find a way to scarf up the vaccine, like they have done with the testing. I'm off sports since they decided to daily test athletic staff and employees. One potentially sick American is going without or waiting days for results due the elite trying to ensure sports team can play. Done with them!!! (BUT I am keeping my very good seats season tickets to VT football)

Last edited:
Face mask reality check, which is the best option? Scientists from Duke University took a look at face masks to see which ones work best in slowing the spread of coronavirus.@EvaPilgrimreports. https://gma.abc/3iw8iMQ

video
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1293151960867250176

"As over 20 million across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, scientists from Duke University took a look at face masks to see which ones work best in slowing the spread of coronavirus.

In their study, they looked at 14 masks including N-95s, N-95s with valves and surgical masks to see how effective each was in keeping droplets from getting out."

masks-ht-ml-200811_1597143988542_hpMain_2_16x9_992.jpg

While many have been using bandanas as a face mask alternative, researchers found that it offers very little protection.

Gaiters, which are known for being made of fleece, were found to release a lot of little particles from the wearer and created more tiny droplets than speaking without a mask.

Scientists tested 14 types of masks: Here's what worked and what didn't

So surgical mask with face shield is the best available option?

She is the type of stylist I would feel more comfortable going to, in her house. I hope she does really well. Man, I could use a good stylist.

Tag: (Beauty) Things I Suck At

Me, too. I haven't had a hair cut since February, was due to go in March when they were shut down. I did order color on e-salon and applied it myself two months ago, but I really didn't like the color match they provided. But I still am not comfortable going to my stylist, as she has a teenage daughter who is very social, and also all the clients that are in and out of her home salon for haircuts, color, etc. She has tried to get me to go in, but I prefer to self-isolate still. She agreed to sell me the color and developer that I will pick up from her mailbox on Friday of this week, and drop off a check at the same time. I used to do this when I would travel for over a month, although I never do a very good job with the back of my hair/head when I color it myself, but it will have to do for now. About six weeks ago I finally had to cut my husband's hair, we ordered Conair hair cutting scissors on Amazon, and I watched a you tube video, and then he finally consented to let me cut his hair, after weeks and weeks of me trying to get him to do it. It actually turned out to be a good cut, and it should be easier to cut now that it has some shape and isn't inches longer than usual with no shape to begin with. I am thinking about cutting my own hair before I do the color. At least the front and two sides, and then asking my husband to cut the back. Not sure. But I know what you mean about needing a good stylist!

Americans are giving up US citizenship in record numbers

Bambridge Accountants reports that 5,816 people gave up US citizenship in the first half of 2020 — a 1,210% increase on the previous six months in which only 444 cases were recorded.

The first two quarters of 2020 also rank as having the first and second highest numbers on record at 2,909 and 2,907 respectively.

In the whole of 2019, a total of only 2,072 Americans gave up their citizenship.

The firm cites the pandemic as a motivating factor for US expats to cut ties and avoid the current political climate and onerous tax reporting.

Me, too. I haven't had a hair cut since February, was due to go in March when they were shut down. I did order color on e-salon and applied it myself two months ago, but I really didn't like the color match they provided. But I still am not comfortable going to my stylist, as she has a teenage daughter who is very social, and also all the clients that are in and out of her home salon for haircuts, color, etc. She has tried to get me to go in, but I prefer to self-isolate still. She agreed to sell me the color and developer that I will pick up from her mailbox on Friday of this week, and drop off a check at the same time. I used to do this when I would travel for over a month, although I never do a very good job with the back of my hair/head when I color it myself, but it will have to do for now. About six weeks ago I finally had to cut my husband's hair, we ordered Conair hair cutting scissors on Amazon, and I watched a you tube video, and then he finally consented to let me cut his hair, after weeks and weeks of me trying to get him to do it. It actually turned out to be a good cut, and it should be easier to cut now that it has some shape and isn't inches longer than usual with no shape to begin with. I am thinking about cutting my own hair before I do the color. At least the front and two sides, and then asking my husband to cut the back. Not sure. But I know what you mean about needing a good stylist!

Ya, best to section, before you cut?
You could use a piece of masking tape, painter's tape, to cut the length in the back as a guide. Like straight cut, and then scissor cut the ends, fringe cut?

The socialization and leadership your granddaugher has as valedictorian, etc. also continues at the university level. We are always looking for those students who will continue this trajectory and become leaders of student government, apply for gubernatorial appointments to the university's board of trustees and represent students in institution-wide policy making and budgetary decisions, lead sororities and fraternities, and lead many of our 100s of student organizations on campus. Also, a student's leadership experience, etc. are considered by Admissions review committees at the top universities across the country, and points are allocated based on cumulative GPA, course of study, and leadership and engagement activities at the high school level, including community service. That is why parents of home-schooled kids have to build in these experiences and opportunities, to have a well-rounded resume/application as they go forward with their studies as undergraduate and graduate students.

Thank you for your supportive comments.

I raised a very successful daughter, has her PHD, but can hunt, fish and shoot with the best of them. She was also a US Congressional page for Congress. She says this was one her greatest experiences and taught her many things college could not.

We are what our life experiences teach us. Life experiences and socialization are as important as a University degree.

Moo

Ya, best to section, before you cut?
You could use a piece of masking tape, painter's tape, to cut the length in the back as a guide. Like straight cut, and then scissor cut the ends, fringe cut?
I feel like I reinvented myself during lockdown! Had my hair cut short a week or so ago (hairdresser came to my home) and lots of blonde put in it. V tanned from all the gardening. Working from home so dressing v casual, as opposed to office. If only losing the extra pounds was so easy :D

Well, thankfully our public school has a private NFP 80 million dollar endowment and we ain't worried about state funding. We can support our school for many years if we had or want to.
This sounds amazing. Do you mind saying where this is? (Just state is fine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX