Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks | Daily Mail Online

More Britons Have Been Killed By Flu And Pneumonia Than Coronavirus For Seven Weeks In A Row, New Data Reveals

Influenza caused more deaths in UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31

Flu and pneumonia killed 6,626 Britons compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths

Influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 at the end of July

"More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks in a row, new data has revealed.

Research published by the Office for National Statistics found influenza caused more deaths in the UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31.

In the seven-week period, 6,626 Britons were killed by flu or pneumonia - compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths.

At the end of last month, influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 - with 928 flu deaths recorded in the UK compared to 193 due to the pandemic.

The last time Covid-19 recorded more deaths than flu was in the week ending June 12, when it killed 1,114 people compared to 996."

Such a tired tired comparison to the flu.

Having trouble with the link o.
Alternative,
A New Survey Links Vaping to Higher Covid-19 Risk

"A Stanford University report shows that teens and young adults who use e-cigatettes are five to seven times more likely to test positive for the virus."
I remember mentioning to a friend when the Covid symptoms first came out (the lungs) that it sounded so much like vaping and all those young people who had it... hmmm

How A Florida School District of 45,000 Plans To Reopen With Covid-19 Precautions | NBC Nightly News

This video shows a school water fountain and says no more drinking from the water fountains..I had a flashback of the “mono“ days...

Didn’t we learn “drink from the fountain” and you could get “mono” lol

That's so cool that the teachers would wear buttons with an image of their unmasked face. Lessens that feeling of anonymity?

Just about every prediction I've read for fall/winter 2020/21 is dismal, especially when people cluster inside. Gonna be a rocky road.

Yeah, one of the differences from 1918 is that we now have air conditioning... so folks spreading inside (ha! that is why Florida became inhabitable and popular for those in the know - folks didn't live there prior to AC) MOO

The original predictions didn't know if this was going to be like other recent pandemics, where they went up and died out. Some governments banked on such.. as did some science. But now, we know it is not a flash in the pan as some folks keep espousing.

MOO

More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks | Daily Mail Online

More Britons Have Been Killed By Flu And Pneumonia Than Coronavirus For Seven Weeks In A Row, New Data Reveals

Influenza caused more deaths in UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31

Flu and pneumonia killed 6,626 Britons compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths

Influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 at the end of July

"More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks in a row, new data has revealed.

Research published by the Office for National Statistics found influenza caused more deaths in the UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31.

In the seven-week period, 6,626 Britons were killed by flu or pneumonia - compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths.

At the end of last month, influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 - with 928 flu deaths recorded in the UK compared to 193 due to the pandemic.

The last time Covid-19 recorded more deaths than flu was in the week ending June 12, when it killed 1,114 people compared to 996."

That really seems high. I am sorry to ask as this is probably available to look up but I am working and on a phone. Anyways, were you all still on some sort of social distance etc program during this timeframe? If so you would think flu would also be at a low due to that! Moo

Come tomato season harvest it will be BLT on toasted Wonder bread with dollops of Miracle Whip.
And Kraft recipe card, 'Cheese Dreams', open faced toasted cheese sandwich with tomato and bacon strips atop.

ETA it's not so much a dream but a bacon induced coma afterwards.

Did we grow up in the same family? Standard fare in the summer, along with ears of corn for breakfast.

Did we grow up in the same family? Standard fare in the summer, along with ears of corn for breakfast.

OMG!! White Silver Queen corn. Been gorging on for the last month!!! And butter beans, the little green ones, sliced tomatoes, cukes in vinegar with a pinch of sugar, hot corn bread with butter. Its been my menu the last several weeks. And lots and lots of sweet tea!!!

Yum..yum... Yup, we might be kin. ;)

I wonder if they're the equivalent of ours that we call "bubblers" . I had been thinking for a long time that it might not be too hygenic to drink out of our bubblers.
Even more so since this fairly recent story of a man washing his dogs bottom in one.

https://7news.com.au/news/animals/s...behind-in-a-public-drinking-fountain-c-417464

They are the reason I always take drink bottles for my squids and would never lift them up...one can pretty much reach now and the other won’t be long but hopefully they’ll be conditioned to just drink their bottles ha ha Nasty, nasty, germy things lol

Editorial: With schools, we're facing our own Kobayashi Maru test

STAR Trek devotees are familiar with the Kobayashi Maru test, which is administered to all Star Fleet cadets.

The Kobayashi Maru is a civilian freighter that has become disabled in the Klingon Neutral Zone. The ship has sent out a distress signal that it’s rapidly losing power and structural integrity.

The test-taker faces two options:

• Rescue the Kobayashi Maru, which means violating the treaty between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, possibly provoking a war.

• Abide by the treaty and let the crew of the Kobayashi Maru perish.

The test is a trick — under every simulation, no matter what choices are made, a lot of people die.

As we learn in “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” — and later the 2009 reboot called simply “Star Trek” — one rebellious cadet became the first person to pass the unpassable test. He did so by reprogramming the simulator to provide a winnable option. For that, the future Captain (and Admiral) James T. Kirk was accused of cheating; he defended his response as creative problem-solving.

Now, perhaps you’re not a fan of Star Trek, but here’s why this part of the fictional Star Trek canon matters today in real life: We’re living through our own Kobayashi Maru test.

[snipped]

So we have a no-win situation, just like the Kobayashi Maru. We shouldn’t reopen schools in the middle of a pandemic — heck, we don’t even know if we’re in the middle yet. But we shouldn’t keep them closed either. So what do we do? We have to do what the future Captain Kirk did: We have to reprogram the simulation. We have to wear masks. We have to keep our distance.

We can’t be going to Myrtle Beach or doing a lot of the other things we normally enjoy — not if we want to beat this thing. Do we?

In Star Trek, the Kobayashi Maru test was supposed to reveal a cadet’s character under pressure.

Unfortunately, it’s also revealing ours.

You can find a non- pay walled version of this:

925 Georgia students in quarantine after school started August 3.

First student testing positive was on August 4. This means, of course, that the students and their families have to attempt the household quarantine thing. Recommended time of quarantine is 14 days, although we really do not know for sure how long individuals are actually shedding.

And, of course, it remains to be seen if quarantines will actually be followed to the letter. As we've seen elsewhere, people have a very hard time actually quarantining. In these cases the entire family should quarantine and get frequent tests. If the parents continue to go to work, well, you all know the issues.

STAR Trek devotees are familiar with the Kobayashi Maru test, which is administered to all Star Fleet cadets.

The Kobayashi Maru is a civilian freighter that has become disabled in the Klingon Neutral Zone. The ship has sent out a distress signal that it’s rapidly losing power and structural integrity.

• Rescue the Kobayashi Maru, which means violating the treaty between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, possibly provoking a war.

The test is a trick — under every simulation, no matter what choices are made, a lot of people die.

As we learn in “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” — and later the 2009 reboot called simply “Star Trek” — one rebellious cadet became the first person to pass the unpassable test. He did so by reprogramming the simulator to provide a winnable option. For that, the future Captain (and Admiral) James T. Kirk was accused of cheating; he defended his response as creative problem-solving.

Now, perhaps you’re not a fan of Star Trek, but here’s why this part of the fictional Star Trek canon matters today in real life: We’re living through our own Kobayashi Maru test.

[snipped]

So we have a no-win situation, just like the Kobayashi Maru. We shouldn’t reopen schools in the middle of a pandemic — heck, we don’t even know if we’re in the middle yet. But we shouldn’t keep them closed either. So what do we do? We have to do what the future Captain Kirk did: We have to reprogram the simulation. We have to wear masks. We have to keep our distance.

We can’t be going to Myrtle Beach or doing a lot of the other things we normally enjoy — not if we want to beat this thing. Do we?

In Star Trek, the Kobayashi Maru test was supposed to reveal a cadet’s character under pressure.

I be trekkin' now, ty SS

[snipped]

Your "reprogram the simulation" ideas are intriguing. If only the schools that are reopening would require masks (actually...provide masks), do as much outdoor teaching as possible, "flip the classroom" where ever possible (including PE), train the teachers on online platforms, put kids into pods, allow kids supervised time to socialize on Zoom, etc, etc. Refocus the curriculum accordingly. I truly believe that for the under 12 set, recess time outdoors with masks (but let 'em run around and play tag and jump road and whatever else they do) would be safe.

And you're right - if, in addition, the parents are soberly warned that school must be the only activity the children are allowed to do (no going to restaurants without masks; no vacations without masks) and the family should have the ability to get tested quickly whenever they wish. Teachers should be tested once a week, minimum.

Our larger inability to pivot and get everyone on board is troubling. If people were asked to follow a certain set of rules to be on a TV reality show, their compliance would be much higher (only partly joking).

I love BLTs but gotta have my Dukes.:cool:

BLTs were a Saturday treat growing up. Mom would fry extra bacon at breakfast. Most days just mater, Dukes and merita bread.

I had a tomato sandwich already this morning.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions shared here. I love homemade pimento cheese, tomato and Duke.

Come harvest time, next 2 weeks, we'll be throwing tomato in everything. I have about 25 per plant green now and another 10/15 blooms, getting 2 to 3 per day now per plant. I planted 3 different varieties. Can't give away tomatoes, everybody planted this year. Squash, cukes and beans too.

I am thankful, so very thankful.

Oh ya, SS.
I'm getting giddy just thinking about your ripening ratios.
Truly a blessing, a slice of heaven.

That really seems high. I am sorry to ask as this is probably available to look up but I am working and on a phone. Anyways, were you all still on some sort of social distance etc program during this timeframe? If so you would think flu would also be at a low due to that! Moo

And it's not even flu season! And it's been hot in Britain, as I understand it. I have to say I question that data - although, UK did really lower its CV rates for most of that time period. Graphs would be helpful. Pneumonia in summer in old people is not uncommon. And one has to wonder if any of the older people were weakened by having undiagnosed CoVid (the antibody tests aren't always given and are not picking up on some forms of CoVid immunity).

AFAIK, Brits were out in huge numbers (especially at the beaches, but lots of youtubes walking around London - some people still wearing masks, but many are not). I wonder what the demographics of the flu cases were.

I just got a call from my long distance sister. She has six grands and said that she would only see the new baby of one of her children, and isolate and not see the family member kiddos that are young with the other 5 children from her kiddo in their 30's. All 5 are in middle and high school.

She broke the rule she set.

She called me 3 nights ago and one of the five (the oldest in high school) she wasn't supposed to see was there at her house overnight. He had gotten back from a PLANE TRIP earlier.Because her child said that the kid was bored and needed to travel and get out of being shut down *cough*

Just now, she texted me she awoke last night with a severe headache, and is nauseous, and very sick. I wrote back to notify friends and next door good friend to help.

She's not returning my texts now.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I am angry at her child for gaming Grandma and inducing her to break the rule. With the grandkids, I'm very vulnerable to breaking rules, but at this point, my daughters quickly catch me and remind me, they'd never implore me to break the rules.

Good grief. A teenager on a plane trip and 3 days later, your sister has symptoms. She needs to go to the ER - maybe that's where she is. I am assuming if she's a grandma of a teenager she's of an age where she's vulnerable.

Keep us posted - all good thoughts to your sister. You must feel helpless.

Wow ... that is a massively high rate of flu deaths. :eek:

Doesn't the UK have enough flu vacs? And what's the deal with all the flu in summer? Is this unusually high, or is it a terrible norm?

ETA: I just looked up the data tables, and yes, that is a massively high number of flu deaths.
The UK usually has about 2,800 flu deaths each year.
Either something is wrong with those quoted Daily Mail stats, or something else is going wrong.

Deaths by single year of age tables, UK - Office for National Statistics

I would think with social distancing, hand washing and masks, there would be less flu- so why isn't there???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member