Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom who gave birth while intubated due to COVID-19 made her ICU nurse the godmother

A woman has finally brought her child home after giving birth while fighting COVID-19.

On Sept. 23, Monique Jones of Ferguson, Missouri, welcomed Zamyrah Prewitt who arrived at 29 weeks gestation weighing 2 pounds, 5 ounces.

Jones had tested positive for COVID-19 on Sept. 4 and was hospitalized. The 28-year-old mother of two told "Good Morning America" that doctors at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, performed the early c-section to save her daughter's life.

"It was possible that I wouldn't live--that's all I was thinking," Jones said. "They asked me if it was possible to take my baby out. At first I told them no, but I wasn't getting any better."

9f6734dad0fa46362deb6b9a2a5f7985

"I am happy and grateful that I'm still here but at the same time it's still overwhelming," she added.

Prior to being tested for the virus, Jones felt common symptoms such as chills and shortness of breath. She said she rarely left her house during her pregnancy other than to grocery shop, and always wore a mask and washed her hands properly.

Jones said she was intubated at the hospital on Sept. 6. Intensive care unit nurse Caitlyn Obrock told "GMA" that Jones, who was her patient, was on high oxygen and was nervous about the intubation.

5da1f3e8d1833b6e69f6b7cbc1f5fb10

"She was scared," Obrock said. "I was very invested in her, hoping and praying for a good outcome."

73781e7c854713b202bfaebb849870e0

Sisters

Obrock said she does not usually keep in touch with her patients, though she felt a special connection to Jones.

While Jones underwent rehab, Obrock raised $2,000 in baby gifts. She and her colleagues then held a baby shower for Jones.

MORE: Heartbroken community supports 17-year-old who lost parents to COVID-19 hours apart

Yale student leads 2,700 making prescription and grocery runs amid COVID-19 crisis

34e80d1efea60696df4c6d505896795b

6a2b3ec75f5ae36219c2fc7de9ea2313

"She's a miracle," Obrock said of Jones. "Her and her baby."

She got it from the grocery store?! Yikes

I hear ya- my husband says masks don't work ( he gets his info from Fox)-- Fortunately he wears it- I said look, I don't care if you don't think masks work, as long as you wear one we'll be good. Like you, I think about people who make this huge deal out of wearing a mask: i say, hey, wear one just in case it works!!!! I tried to explain to my husband-- don't call it a mask- just think of it as a piece of cloth across your nose and mouth. Think about sneezing or coughing with that mask on- doesn't it make sense that if you sneeze or cough, the droplets are pretty much more contained than if you don't wear a mask and when you sneeze, the plume of droplets can travel 24 feet- it is just common sense--
But men have never been have to have been careful. They have never had to wear a bulking thing between their legs so that blood would not run down them. They have never been forced to wear protective devices. You would have thought that the AIDS epidemic would have taught them.

:mad: ... Just when ya thought you'd heard it all ... :mad:

Wisconsin health system: Worker deliberately spoiled vaccine

Aurora Medical Center first reported on the spoiled doses on Saturday, and said they had been accidentally left out overnight by an employee at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton.

In a statement late Wednesday, Aurora said the employee involved “today acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration.”

Aurora's statement said they had fired the employee and referred the matter to authorities for further investigation. Their statement said nothing about a possible motive for the action, and health system officials didn't immediately respond to messages seeking more information.

“We continue to believe that vaccination is our way out of the pandemic. We are more than disappointed that this individual’s actions will result in a delay of more than 500 people receiving their vaccine,” the statement said.

I hear ya, and I’m sure Cuomo knows what he’s doing, but as I understand it, we don’t know the vaccine’s effect on transmissibility - the vaccine is for minimizing severity and impact of disease. I thought that this was the chief focus, and factors relating to spread post vaccination were still unknown? Therefore, prioritization allocated to those who have the strongest chance of becoming the most ill?

There is still some confusion on my part about herd immunity, as related to vaccination, when they’re not sure if one can still spread it...perhaps viral load plays a role, idk. I look forward to looking at his more tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I think Gov Cuomo is going with the science ... and the science isn't sure.
And they don't think they will know for sure for many months to come. But indications are that vaccination may curb the spread.

“Presumably that means it also decreases the risk of transmission, although to prove that will take a lot more work,” Naggie says. “Maybe the vaccine completely prevents infection, or maybe it really shortens the period of infection and someone sheds for only a couple of days ... these would all be very critical pieces to answer that.”
Can you spread COVID-19 after vaccination? Here’s what we know.

Last edited:
“I wasn’t on the conga line. I ate by myself,” he said. “I don’t know how I got this."
Man hospitalized for COVID-19 after Queens Republican club Christmas party — Queens Daily Eagle (queenseagle.com)

Multiple Coronavirus Cases After Republican Christmas Party In New York — NPR

“Several individuals who took part in a local New York City Republican club's Christmas party have tested positive for the coronavirus after a video surfaced showing attendees celebrating indoors without masks, Queens Daily Eagle reports.

Three cases have been identified by the Eagle, including a man, James Trent, who has since been hospitalized.”

“Also prominent in the viral video is Republican New York City Council candidate, Vickie Paladino. “

:mad: ... Just when ya thought you'd heard it all ... :mad:

Wisconsin health system: Worker deliberately spoiled vaccine

Aurora Medical Center first reported on the spoiled doses on Saturday, and said they had been accidentally left out overnight by an employee at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton.

In a statement late Wednesday, Aurora said the employee involved “today acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration.”

Aurora's statement said they had fired the employee and referred the matter to authorities for further investigation. Their statement said nothing about a possible motive for the action, and health system officials didn't immediately respond to messages seeking more information.

“We continue to believe that vaccination is our way out of the pandemic. We are more than disappointed that this individual’s actions will result in a delay of more than 500 people receiving their vaccine,” the statement said.
Unreal! This person needs to be charged with a crime as well IMO.

Great interview of Dr Fauci by Lawrence O’Donnell tonight on MSNBC. Really good questions.

Dr. Anthony Fauci tells Lawrence O'Donnell that the same public health measures that prevent Covid-19 will protect against the new more contagious variant of the virus: “If you take appropriate precautions, you don't have to worry about any viruses.”
Dr. Fauci: ‘Double down on your public health measures’ to fight new Covid variant

Dr. Anthony Fauci tells Lawrence O'Donnell that he has served at the National Institutes of Health since 1968 and as Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984 because “it's electrifying when you look at all the good that you can do.”
Dr. Fauci on his 52 years in clinical biomedical research: 'It suits me and I love it'

Dr. Anthony Fauci tells Lawrence O'Donnell it is "reasonable" for Joe Biden to aim for 100 million Covid-19 vaccinations in the first 100 days in office but local authorities must be given “whatever resources they need” because “it's not going to happen spontaneously.”
Dr. Fauci: To ramp up Covid vaccinations ‘put a full-court press on the local level’

We as a society should give greater thought to how we will protect the children of the world and their parents and teachers. The children must survive and thrive in order to carry on humanity. IMHO

Also it’s believed that as many as 15% of infected children may be asymptomatic and therefore could be superspreaders. Vaccinating children might protect the adults by reducing the chance for transmission. MOO

Thank you @margarita25 for your advocacy for the children.

Last edited:
Seeing the elderly sleep OUTSIDE Florida vaccination facilities wrapped in blankets on lawn chairs for 10 hours to get a vaccine is causing me to have a hypertensive crisis. This is inhumane! Does no one in Florida's government have a brain?
Florida's first-come, first-serve Covid-19 vaccination plan for the elderly leads to scramble - CNN
View attachment 277528
It is a shocking sight and wouldn’t work in cold climates so there has to be a better solution.

It is Dec. 31 in my time zone. Tonight at midnight I am going to revive a childhood tradition that I haven't done since. I am going to open my front door and bang my pots and pans to welcome in the new year. My neighbors might not get it and think I'm nuts, but they might also join in.

I know that 2021 will get worse before it gets better, but I want to welcome the new year as I have always done, but especially this year, when hope for a better new year means so much more than it ever has.

I'm giving myself a day off from the reality of covid, and I am looking forward to 12am. It won't be a relief... thank God 2020 is over... it will be a celebration for 2021. I need to do this (and I'm looking for old pots and pans in my basement). lol

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

N.Y. Man Hospitalized With COVID-19 After Attending GOP Club's 'Covid Conga Line' Party

Wed, December 30, 2020, 8:38 PM EST
5fed232226000019300c6370.jpg

N.Y. Man Hospitalized With COVID-19 After Attending GOP Club's 'Covid Conga Line' Party

Trent expressed surprise he caught the virus after the bash because he “wasn’t doing anything risky,” he told the Eagle.

“I wasn’t on the conga line. I ate by myself,” he said. “I don’t know how I got this.”

(It's in the air - you can't fix stupid)

It is Dec. 31 in my time zone. Tonight at midnight I am going to revive a childhood tradition that I haven't done since. I am going to open my front door and bang my pots and pans to welcome in the new year. My neighbors might not get it and think I'm nuts, but they might also join in.

I know that 2021 will get worse before it gets better, but I want to welcome the new year as I have always done, but especially this year, when hope for a better new year means so much more than it ever has.

I'm giving myself a day off from the reality of covid, and I am looking forward to 12am. It won't be a relief... thank God 2020 is over... it will be a celebration for 2021. I need to do this (and I'm looking for old pots and pans in my basement). lol

If I hear you banging those pots and pans, I will join in. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member