Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear it’s only going to get worse with the upcoming coldest of months ahead of us. So many parents began this school year enrolling their kids in public schools. Freezing temperatures coupled with the rising trend toward switching to online schooling, parents will need to be hyper vigilant to monitor online activities. Such a scary world for children and parents anymore. I remember my world of going to school. It was my exciting time of desegregation, bussing and revolution. I thought my parents being afraid for us back then were silly - I can only imagine kids might think the same of theirs now. As children, we can be so naive.
After observing the grands zoom classes - it’s a frustrating and scary mess.
I remember the same exciting time period you had! I was petrified during those turbulent years of school - the rocks breaking windows on our bus (yep, still have the scar on top of my head) afraid to go to the bathroom because you’d get kicked if you didn’t give up your lunch money and the frequent bomb threats where we laid outside in the ditch, it was horrible. School should not be a place of terror for kids.

The issue is the glaring double standard. If a religious group did the exact same protocol, would they be allowed to have services? Who knows? Because they were given unequivocal, unilateral "No", for church services. Without any options, that are being granted to a football team.

And making Contact Tracing a "priority" with this group is a joke beyond measure. It would be like herding feral cats.

That's exactly the way I feel. It's a mistake, and I hope it's rectified.

It wont be ... it has been 25 years since western NY has had a winning football team. That is all they care about at the moment, unfortunately.
Yep! My Sooners put a whooping’ on the Gators yesterday at the Cotton Bowl but I would have vetoed the game if I could of. It was all in the name of so-called glory. Silly silly boys! Guess both teams thought all’s fair in love, war, sports and COVID-19. Let’s wait and see how many more players and attendees test positive. It ain’t gonna be a pretty new year for them...

Yep! My Sooners put a whooping’ on the Gators yesterday at the Cotton Bowl but I would have vetoed the game if I could of. It was all in the name of so-called glory. Silly silly boys! Guess both teams thought all’s fair in love, war, sports and COVID-19. Let’s wait and see how many more players and attendees test positive. It ain’t gonna be a pretty new year for them...

No, it won't be pretty. I am already hearing about friends there who have now been exposed. The virus is more visibly creeping into their area now ... after having a pretty cruisey time of it so far.
I don't understand their headspace.

Happy new year. :D I’m starting early with New year wishes in hopes I can work up some enthusiasm as the day goes by. The days run together without the traditional gatherings. It’s becoming harder to be happy since missing Thanksgiving and Christmas, now New Year celebrations. Making it past midnight may qualify as an Olympic feat. :p

Last edited:
I think that's ridiculous. It's all about catering to the whims of a select few. It's a ball game! We have people out of work who can't feed their families -- let's figure out ways to get food to them! Let's focus on the needs of our healthcare providers who are at risk through no choice of their own.

The idea that sports should take precedence is ridiculous. Not only will the fans be going in and out of the gates in relatively close proximity, but the players will also be together in the locker rooms, sweating, huffing, puffing, showering. What a mess!

These kinds of double standards are why there's so much division in our nation right now.

Cancel the game!

I agree with you: especially now with the virus surging- this is not the time to bring 7000 people together in close proximity--- As a society we have not learned much in 100 years- when the last pandemic hit us--- and we have so many more tools now-

“The employee at the Aurora Medical Center in Grafton, Wis., later admitted to purposefully removing more than 50 vials of the Moderna vaccine from a refrigerator, the hospital announced, rendering them useless.”

What is WRONG with people? Not to be in the least political, but IMO this is the kind of behavior that results when we, as a nation, don’t swiftly quash lies and misinformation about COVID-19, the COVID-19 vaccines (and vaccines in general), the “deep state,” and conspiracy theories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/31/covid-vaccines-destroyed-wisconsin-hospital/

Last edited:
Happy new year. :D I’m starting early with New year wishes in hopes I can work up some enthusiasm as the day goes by. The days run together without the traditional gatherings. It’s becoming harder to be happy since missing Thanksgiving and Christmas, now New Year celebrations. Making it past midnight may qualify as an Olympic feat. :p

Happy New Year! We are already about 35 minutes into 2021, with 2020 behind us now. So far, so good. :D

Happy New Year! We are already about 35 minutes into 2021, with 2020 behind us now. So far, so good. :D
Getting past midnight will provide some relief I hope. Better yet some cheer. Put the year behind us as much as we can. Resolve to do better. But for so many who refuse to isolate they may take Covid into the new year.

It will be interesting to hear from some more hospital workers. Gauge the effect of the continual battle on today’s mood around the world.

Seeing the elderly sleep OUTSIDE Florida vaccination facilities wrapped in blankets on lawn chairs for 10 hours to get a vaccine is causing me to have a hypertensive crisis. This is inhumane! Does no one in Florida's government have a brain?
Florida's first-come, first-serve Covid-19 vaccination plan for the elderly leads to scramble - CNN
View attachment 277528

Colorado Governor Polis last night made some comments, paraphrasing, that this is unacceptable and is something he would never allow to occur in his State.

In the beginning of the same video is a short piece on the mobilization of the smallpox vaccine, complete with photos:

COVID-19 is mainly a respiratory disease, but it also affects the brain. Patients often experience neurological problems, including headaches, delirium, cognitive dysfunction, dizziness, fatigue, and loss of the sense of smell. The disease may also cause patients to suffer strokes and other neuropathologies.

Several studies have shown that the disease can cause inflammation and blood vessel damage. In one of these studies, the scientists found evidence of small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 in some patients’ brains. Nevertheless, scientists are still trying to understand how the disease affects the brain.
Study reveals brain damage of patients with COVID-19

“The employee at the Aurora Medical Center in Grafton, Wis., later admitted to purposefully removing more than 50 vials of the Moderna vaccine from a refrigerator, the hospital announced, rendering them useless.”

What is WRONG with people? Not to be in the least political, but IMO this is the kind of behavior that results when we, as a nation, don’t swiftly quash lies and misinformation about COVID-19, the COVID-19 vaccines (and vaccines in general), the “deep state,” and conspiracy theories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/31/covid-vaccines-destroyed-wisconsin-hospital/

I have plenty of words for that monstrosity of a human being- which I cannot post without getting banned. I agree with you about misinformation and lies, but how can we as a nation, quash all of them? They are all over social media-- Facebook, twitter--people are trying to contain the disinformtion but it is difficult to keep up with---

Seattle public health officials have so little COVID-19 funding on hand they worry they will have to shut down some virus testing sites as they mount a campaign to dose their 2.3 million residents with Pfizer Inc’s and Moderna Inc’s vaccines.

King County, which represents greater Seattle, has $14 million of COVID-19 funding for 2021, roughly what it spends in a month to run public testing sites and other services, and a fraction of the $87 million emergency COVID-19 aid it received in 2020, said Ingrid Ulrey, the public health policy director for King County.

“We’ve been on pins and needles the whole last three or four months, watching what’s happening at the federal level, waiting, watching,” she said. When newly approved federal funds finally trickle down to her level, she expects them to be less than this year, insufficient and too late.

“It’s shockingly low,” she added. “We have a huge new, unprecedented, daunting task of vaccine delivery.” King County is at risk of being unable to hire the up to 40 additional nurses and administrators needed to begin the next wave of public vaccinations.
Local funding crisis threatens U.S. vaccine rollout

I also am celebrating New Year's Eve early-
Even with a couple of naps I won't make it 'till midnight;)
I'm celebrating with my usual bubble:
Me & wine

My wish for everybody in the coming year is the ability to hug everyone we want to
Whenever we want to

Sparrow allowing visitors for COVID-19 patients
Sparrow allowing visitors for COVID-19 patients

Legacy and Calvary posted the services in question to their Instagram account.

The video from Legacy showed hundreds gathered in a building singing, “Silent Night,” with few masks in site. The video was taken down by Sunday.

However, as of Monday, the church’s Youth Ministry account, Young and Unashamed, still had a video of their service posted. It was taken down after KOAT posted the story Monday evening.
Legacy violates public health order with Christmas Eve service

Two New Mexico megachurches are facing $10,000 in fines for having held large, unmasked Christmas Eve services in violation of the state’s COVID-19 lockdown orders, prompting Democratic Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham to imply that their pastors are “pro-virus.”
‘Illegal And Selfish Gatherings’: New Mexico Fines Two Churches $10K Each For Christmas Eve Services; Dem Governor Calls Pastors ‘Pro-Virus’

That's just heartbreaking!

That story is behind a paywall for me, but I found it on Newsweek.

The statement said that the vials that had been removed from the refrigerator caused 500 doses of the vaccine to be discarded. The Moderna vaccine can still be administered if it has been kept at room temperature for up to 12 hours. Once it is thawed, however, it cannot be refrozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname