Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have clear idea now about how Oregon will allocate vaccines. My husband and I are in group 1C for those over 65, which will be completed in the late spring depending on vaccine availability. That’s what I had figured. I don’t mind waiting as I think the way people are prioritized is very fair and efficient. I doubt we will be waiting in lines on folding chairs overnight. That’s absolutely shameful IMO.

So here is the plan for “the great state of Oregon” as some news people call it: :)

The vaccine is currently not available to the general population; Oregon is in the 1A phase of distribution. As the Oregon Health Authority and community partners work to make vaccines widely available, the fastest way to get our schools, businesses, and communities back open is to keep working together. We're going to have to continue to use the tried-and-true methods we know to stop the spread of this disease: wear a face covering, limit group size, keep distance, wash hands and stay home when sick.

Oregon's Phase 1A COVID-19 Vaccine Plan and Recommended Sequencing aligns with the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for broad groups to be included in the initial phase of vaccine distribution.

The plan also creates a framework for distributing and sequencing COVID-19 vaccines throughout Oregon based on equity, individual, environmental, and activity factors that put people more at risk for contracting or spreading the virus or experiencing serious health consequences from the virus.

• Phase 1A: Examples include but are not limited to:
    • Group 1: Hospitals; urgent care; skilled nursing and memory care facility health care providers and residents; tribal health programs; emergency medical services providers, and other first responders.
    • Group 2: Other long-term care facilities and congregate care sites, including health care providers and residents; hospice programs; mobile crisis care and related services; individuals working in a correctional setting; personnel of group homes for children or adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
    • Group 3: Outpatient settings serving specific high-risk groups; in-home care; day treatment services; non-emergency medical transportation.
    • Group 4: Health care personnel working in other outpatient and public health settings.
  • 1B: Essential workers such as teachers, bus drivers, food processors, and other people who keep our society open and economy moving. The OHA Vaccine Advisory Committee, representing community perspectives, will identify and prioritize this group.
  • 1C: People with underlying health conditions and people over the age of 65. (B and C completed in late spring, depending on vaccine availability). BBM
Jackson County Public Health Reports 36 New COVID-19 Cases - DEC 29

I see, congregate settings.

But will they receive the vaccine before the elderly who are in nursing homes? Probably not...maybe they mean congregate settings gets priority over elderly who are not in congregate settings? Whatever the case, I think elderly should get top priority, as it should be about minimizing impact to the most vulnerable groups.

I’ll take a read later, thanks for the reference. :)

I think the drug addicts in those facilities will get the vaccine before the elderly who do not live in facilities, according to the New York Post.

I can see some of the reasoning but I think we need a human element as well. My mother is elderly and I think her life is important. In my state, prison inmates will get the vaccine before my mom gets it. I get it that they're trying to stop spread in facilities, but, in my opinion, we should also look at our most vulnerable members of society. If the workers in those facilities (prisons and detox facilities) are vaccinated, that would be good, but to vaccinate a convicted murderer before someone who has worked their whole life, paid their taxes, never broken a law, and is now at great risk from the virus because of their age, seems wrong to me. JMOO

I hear ya- my husband says masks don't work ( he gets his info from Fox)-- Fortunately he wears it- I said look, I don't care if you don't think masks work, as long as you wear one we'll be good. Like you, I think about people who make this huge deal out of wearing a mask: i say, hey, wear one just in case it works!!!! I tried to explain to my husband-- don't call it a mask- just think of it as a piece of cloth across your nose and mouth. Think about sneezing or coughing with that mask on- doesn't it make sense that if you sneeze or cough, the droplets are pretty much more contained than if you don't wear a mask and when you sneeze, the plume of droplets can travel 24 feet- it is just common sense--

That's a good way to put it!

I hear ya- my husband says masks don't work ( he gets his info from Fox)-- Fortunately he wears it- I said look, I don't care if you don't think masks work, as long as you wear one we'll be good. Like you, I think about people who make this huge deal out of wearing a mask: i say, hey, wear one just in case it works!!!! I tried to explain to my husband-- don't call it a mask- just think of it as a piece of cloth across your nose and mouth. Think about sneezing or coughing with that mask on- doesn't it make sense that if you sneeze or cough, the droplets are pretty much more contained than if you don't wear a mask and when you sneeze, the plume of droplets can travel 24 feet- it is just common sense--
If most shoppers were not wearing masks it would be real noticeable in a key place.
On the plexiglass hanging over the counters. Yucky.....

I think the drug addicts in those facilities will get the vaccine before the elderly who do not live in facilities, according to the New York Post.

I can see some of the reasoning but I think we need a human element as well. My mother is elderly and I think her life is important. In my state, prison inmates will get the vaccine before my mom gets it. I get it that they're trying to stop spread in facilities, but, in my opinion, we should also look at our most vulnerable members of society. If the workers in those facilities (prisons and detox facilities) are vaccinated, that would be good, but to vaccinate a convicted murderer before someone who has worked their whole life, paid their taxes, never broken a law, and is now at great risk from the virus because of their age, seems wrong to me. JMOO

Reminds me of that movie with George Burns, where he and his buddies do bank robberies. "Going in Style".

Your Mom needs to get with a gang of her friends, and go rob a bank with their walkers. So, they can be incerated and get a Covid shot.

The insanity continues in our society. Apparently drug addicts and criminals have more status than the elderly.

Last edited:
New York State grants Bills permission to have fans attend Wild Card playoff game

What could possibly go wrong with allowing 6700 fans to attend a football game in New York? Governor Coumo won't allow people to do a lot of things...like go to church...but football games are perfectly fine.

Science? Or?

I think that's ridiculous. It's all about catering to the whims of a select few. It's a ball game! We have people out of work who can't feed their families -- let's figure out ways to get food to them! Let's focus on the needs of our healthcare providers who are at risk through no choice of their own.

The idea that sports should take precedence is ridiculous. Not only will the fans be going in and out of the gates in relatively close proximity, but the players will also be together in the locker rooms, sweating, huffing, puffing, showering. What a mess!

These kinds of double standards are why there's so much division in our nation right now.

Cancel the game!

Coronavirus has forced schooling to be online, and friendships to be online.

“Kids are social people, the want to socialize with their friends, they want to get out and talk to other people. Having to stay inside they’re reaching out, they’re almost going to desperate measures to try and communicate with other people," said Sgt. Strokes.
upload_2020-12-31_6-15-55.jpeg
Sgt. Strokes says if your child is contacted by someone they do not know to call police or make a report here.

Online predator cases double in Fresno County and across the country

Coronavirus has forced schooling to be online, and friendships to be online.

“Kids are social people, the want to socialize with their friends, they want to get out and talk to other people. Having to stay inside they’re reaching out, they’re almost going to desperate measures to try and communicate with other people," said Sgt. Strokes.
View attachment 277552
Sgt. Strokes says if your child is contacted by someone they do not know to call police or make a report here.

Online predator cases double in Fresno County and across the country

That's the scary thing about all the kids' extra online activity now .. it is a predators playground.

That's the scary thing about all the kids' extra online activity now .. it is a predators playground.
I fear it’s only going to get worse with the upcoming coldest of months ahead of us. So many parents began this school year enrolling their kids in public schools. Freezing temperatures coupled with the rising trend toward switching to online schooling, parents will need to be hyper vigilant to monitor online activities. Such a scary world for children and parents anymore. I remember my world of going to school. It was my exciting time of desegregation, bussing and revolution. I thought my parents being afraid for us back then were silly - I can only imagine kids might think the same of theirs now. As children, we can be so naive.

Last edited:
I think that's ridiculous. It's all about catering to the whims of a select few. It's a ball game! We have people out of work who can't feed their families -- let's figure out ways to get food to them! Let's focus on the needs of our healthcare providers who are at risk through no choice of their own.

The idea that sports should take precedence is ridiculous. Not only will the fans be going in and out of the gates in relatively close proximity, but the players will also be together in the locker rooms, sweating, huffing, puffing, showering. What a mess!

These kinds of double standards are why there's so much division in our nation right now.

Cancel the game!

I felt like that about the political rallies. At least Cuomo is requiring covid tests for everyone who has a ticket, and masks on everyone, socially distanced seating.

He definitely buckled to the pressure, but has tried to make some restrictions.

Each person with a ticket will be required in the days leading up to the game to submit to a coronavirus test, which must come back negative in order to attend.
Tailgate parties, a staple of games at Bills Stadium for decades, will be prohibited .... Fans will also be required to cooperate with contact tracing after the game.

Cuomo had faced pressure from Bills fans, team officials, team lobbyists and even some players in recent months to allow some fans to attend the team's home games, which have garnered enormous interest this year as the team became one of the best in the National Football League.

Buffalo Bills will allow some fans in stadium for playoff home game

I fear it’s only going to get worse with the upcoming coldest of months ahead of us. So many parents began this school year enrolling their kids in public schools. Freezing temperatures coupled with the rising trend toward switching to online schooling, parents will need to be hyper vigilant to monitor online activities. Such a scary world for children and parents anymore. I remember my world of going to school. It was my exciting time of desegregation, bussing and revolution. I thought my parents being afraid for us back then were silly - I can only imagine kids might think the same of theirs now.

Hopefully parents are getting smart enough to install Net Nanny or other protectants on their computers.

I felt like that about the political rallies. At least Cuomo is requiring covid tests for everyone who has a ticket, and masks on everyone, socially distanced seating.

Each person with a ticket will be required in the days leading up to the game to submit to a coronavirus test, which must come back negative in order to attend.
Tailgate parties, a staple of games at Bills Stadium for decades, will be prohibited .... Fans will also be required to cooperate with contact tracing after the game.

Cuomo had faced pressure from Bills fans, team officials, team lobbyists and even some players in recent months to allow some fans to attend the team's home games, which have garnered enormous interest this year as the team became one of the best in the National Football League.

The issue is the glaring double standard. If a religious group did the exact same protocol, would they be allowed to have services? Who knows? Because they were given unequivocal, unilateral "No", for church services. Without any options, that are being granted to a football team.

And making Contact Tracing a "priority" with this group is a joke beyond measure. It would be like herding feral cats.

Reminds me of that movie with George Burns, where he and his buddies do bank robberies. "Going in Style".

Your Mom needs to get with a gang of her friends, and go rob a bank with their walkers. So, they can be incerated and get a Covid shot.

The insanity continues in our society. Apparently drug addicts and criminals have more status than the elderly.

Right: maybe they should do prisons before the elderly: after all, the virus spreads really easily in prison----

The issue is the glaring double standard. If a religious group did the exact same protocol, would they be allowed to have services? Who knows? Because they were given unequivocal, unilateral "No", for church services. Without any options, that are being granted to a football team.

And making Contact Tracing a "priority" with this group is a joke beyond measure. It would be like herding feral cats.

I personally have less issues with this than I did with the free-for-all at the political rallies.
I used to go to those games. They are not all feral cats.

But, yes, he definitely buckled to the pressure.
And I don't think he fined the 10,000 people who attended the secret NY wedding earlier this year? Not that I have heard, anyway.

I felt the same way about the political rallies, too. Even had a governor agreed to have testing before a rally and require masks, I would still feel the same. Those rallies -- and the White House Christmas party were wrong.

But, this is even more elitist because it's a game of all things!

People who are struggling will look at this and become even more disgruntled. And, good luck requiring contact tracing. That's been a bust all across the nation. They simply won't answer their phones.

And, there's no way they can make the locker rooms safe.

I'm sure Cuomo was pressured. It's just too bad he wasn't man enough to hold his ground. This looks very bad and very hypocritical.

I think he should cancel it if he wants to maintain a modicum of respect from the rest of his constituents, especially those who are struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member