Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amid evolving strains, COVID-19 vaccines likely need updates every 3 years, former FDA chief Gottlieb says
Dec. 21, 2020

“Former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said Monday coronavirus vaccines will likely require updates every few years as surface proteins on the virus evolve to become unrecognizable to antibodies.

Gottlieb told CNBC co-hosts that while current COVID-19 vaccines and prior immunity are likely effective against the newly mutated strain of the virus rapidly circulating in the U.K., the evolving virus will necessitate surveillance by sequencing.

"We thought every two, or maybe three years, I was saying that probably 6-8 months ago, every three years, that might still be the case," Gottlieb said, referring to a potential timeframe for updated COVID-19 vaccines. "I don’t think this is something we need to update every season, but if it becomes easy to update it, you may do that, you may look at what the predominant strain is and try to update it more regularly."“

@SquawkCNBC
Dec 21, 2020
"Eventually we'll get into a framework with COVID--we'll accept that if a vaccine can induce a certain level of antibodies it is going to be effective and therefore allow updates based on antibody response," says
@ScottGottliebMD
. "That's how we'll be able to keep up with this."

I forgot, which upcoming vaccine is just one dose? Moderna, Pfizer, Oxford/AZ are all two doses.

That is my fault ... I forgot that AstraZeneca/Oxford is a two dose vaccine. But it seems to fit into their plans, as the 2nd dose can be 12 weeks out.

“Not surprisingly, only the two standard dose regimen has been approved by the MHRA – with a variable interval (4-12 weeks apart) between the first and second dose – for all ages 18 years and above, despite relatively limited data for the over 65 year groups.
expert reaction to the Oxford AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine being approved for use in the UK by the MHRA | Science Media Centre

60 residents of luxury Houston high rise are given COVID-19 vaccines — Daily Mail

“Dozens of senior citizens in a luxury high rise in Texas were given COVID-19 vaccines in the state's first wave.

The Montebello condominium complex in uptown Houston boasts marble tile bathroom floors, an outdoor pool, valet parking, a concierge service and a 24/7 security guard, and has condos that can sell for up to $4.8 million.

But thousands of at-risk healthcare workers have been struggling to receive their vaccines due to hospitals quickly running out of supply.

However, a spokesperson for the HHD told the Daily Beast he wasn't aware of any arrangement with the high rise.

'All the distributors have to register through the state health department,' Porfirio Villareal said.

'The apartment complex is not an approved provider. If a site is not approved, not on the list, and receiving shipments of the vaccine, then our recommendation is not to go to that site.”

I forgot, which upcoming vaccine is just one dose? Moderna, Pfizer, Oxford/AZ are all two doses.

Johnson & Johnson.

eta:
It seems they’ve also initiated a 2 dose regimen as well:

Johnson & Johnson Initiates Second Global Phase 3 Clinical Trial of its Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate | Johnson & Johnson

“November 15, 2020 -- The Phase 3 ENSEMBLE study of the single-dose regimen of JNJ-78436735, the investigational vaccine candidate for the prevention of COVID-19 being developed by the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, continues to enroll and vaccinate study participants. ENSEMBLE is proceeding to enroll up to 60,000 participants worldwide.

In addition to the single-dose regimen ENSEMBLE study, Janssen has now initiated the two-dose regimen ENSEMBLE 2 trial. ENSEMBLE 2 is a complementary, planned, pivotal, large-scale, multi-country Phase 3 trial that will study the safety and efficacy of a two-dose regimen of the investigational Janssen vaccine candidate for the prevention of COVID-19 in up to 30,000 participants worldwide. The ENSEMBLE and ENSEMBLE 2 trials will run in parallel.

While a potentially safe and effective single-dose preventive COVID-19 vaccine would have significant benefits, particularly in a pandemic setting, Janssen’s COVID-19 vaccine program has been designed to be extremely thorough and driven by science. As such, we are investigating multiple doses and dosing regimens to evaluate their long-term efficacy.”

Last edited:
If I had to guess, I would guess that Britain's strategy is to get as many people as possible to have some protection. Try and get their caseload to be somewhat manageable.

Now that they have approved the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine, they may switch to utilising that and have a much reduced population that needs a 2nd dose almost right away.

And maybe they are testing to see if they can mix and the 2nd dose can be their own AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine.

AstraZeneca/Oxford seems so much more versatile. No extra-cold storage requirement. Is it one dose (with maybe an annual booster?)

I look forward to comments on this from Dr. Swaminathan, Dr. Mike and colleagues, as I’m sure this will likely be a addressed in an the upcoming WHO Conference.

Nice:

1000.jpeg

The Latest: Tens of thousands on Vegas strip despite warning

That photo is from 2018 in the caption.
I had seen it the other day and just went to check.
The lack of even one mask and no social distancing disturbed me enough that I had to dig deeper.

That photo is from 2018 in the caption.
I had seen it the other day and just went to check.
The lack of even one mask and no social distancing disturbed me enough that I had to dig deeper.

Great catch, charminglane! I noticed in the article they said almost everyone had masks on, but some wore them below their nose, and I thought to myself, it sure doesn’t appear that way in the picture!
What a lame article for posting that photo!!!! I suppose I missed the tiny caption.

eta, @charminglane, hmmm, the article isn’t there for me now. The link has been replaced with an older article.

The Latest: 9 nuns at NY convent die from COVID-19 in month

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 2,132 new confirmed cases for a total of 282,435 confirmed cases of which
241,228 are recovering (+2,251). 7 more were reported to have passed for a total of 3,898. 83 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 575 (-25). According to KWWL, there are 37,039 active postive cases with 24 hr. positivity rate of 46%. I honestly have not been paying attention to the rate recently, but IMO this is the highest it has been in a while. Jan. 1: Over 2,000 new COVID-19 cases reported in Iowa with a 46% positivity rate
access Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.

Great catch, charminglane! I noticed in the article they said almost everyone had masks on, but some wore them below their nose, and I thought to myself, it sure doesn’t appear that way in the picture!
What a lame article for posting that photo!!!! I suppose I missed the tiny caption.

eta, @charminglane, hmmm, the article isn’t there for me now. The link has been replaced with an older article.

I saw it on the slideshow photo caption.
I kept getting the nuns, too.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article248216300.html

Fire chief dies of COVID on his wedding anniversary

“The wife of a North Carolina fire chief went shopping for her 13th wedding anniversary, not knowing it would be her husband’s last day alive.

“His daughter and I went out and got ‘I love you’ balloons and ‘happy anniversary’ balloons,” said Leigh Woodard, WLOS reported.

Darrell Woodard died Tuesday, days after contracting COVID-19, his family says. He was 66.”

This is a similar story about Las Vegas
(different source)

Tens of thousands on Las Vegas Strip despite warning

Stunned by some news I received this afternoon about a 28 year old daughter of friends this evening. This afternoon she was found by her husband unresponsive on the bedroom floor. Possible heart attack and/or aneurism. She had covid almost 4 weeks ago. Her family is definitely thinking connection. This girl was gorgeous & smart...getting ready to go into practice with her orthodontic dad. Who knows if they will get to the bottom of it but she didn’t have the first health problem prior to her death, other than Covid. Just sick about this.

Stunned by some news I received this afternoon about a 28 year old daughter of friends this evening. This afternoon she was found by her husband unresponsive on the bedroom floor. Possible heart attack and/or aneurism. She had covid almost 4 weeks ago. Her family is definitely thinking connection. This girl was gorgeous & smart...getting ready to go into practice with her orthodontic dad. Who knows if they will get to the bottom of it but she didn’t have the first health problem prior to her death, other than Covid. Just sick about this.

What tragic news. May they get to the bottom of it, and her recovery be complete.

This is a similar story about Las Vegas
(different source)

Amer Zah and Rayif Bah, both 22-year-old college students from Louisiana State University, were strolling the sidewalks outside the resorts and taking pictures. The two men had been on a cross-country road trip and after visiting Seattle, decided to head south to Las Vegas to ring in 2021.

But with most of the clubs still closed, live entertainment canceled and a signature fireworks show scuttled, they weren’t sure how they would spend the rest of their evening, but both said they felt safe and had seen few people not wearing masks.

“It’s not as much as we expected,” Zah said. “We might just be walking around.”

“Everyone, I think, is taking it seriously,” Bah said.

Chanel Griggs and Layena Williams, two street performers costumed in black lingerie, tiaras and purple and white showgirl feathers, said New Year’s Eve is one of their most lucrative nights as they pose for photos with tourists on sidewalks and collect tips.

When in costume, they don’t wear masks if they’re outside and will let those posing for a picture remove their face coverings as well, which Griggs called “a courtesy.”

"Everyone, I think, is taking it seriously,"

Said the MORON on a cross country road trip during a pandemic. Whenever I'm in Seattle, I think....."Hey, let's hit up Vegas. It's only 1,110 Miles away."

J&J but still in trials
www.biospace.com › article › j-and-j-launches-phase-iii...
J&J's One-Dose COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Begins Phase III Trial. Published: Sep 23, 2020 By Mark Terry. Johnson and Johnson_ josefkubes_Compressed.

If we have more types of vaccines, we could get vastly more people vaccinated. Not sure about other states, but I have vaccine trial "ads" on the radio daily- they want more diverse subjects to test them on....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member