TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know for sure that person hasn’t talked to LE? Maybe they just haven’t talked publicly. If they haven’t come forward to LE I think @data_nerd_2005 has some good possible reasons.
My understanding from what his family has said is that no one has come forward to LE. And I totally agree it could be nothing related to the disapperance, just either the person doesn't know or is afraid of getting in trouble unrelated to Jason. I believe it was on John Lordan's interview that KL described seeing messages from Snapchat show up on Jason's phone, after the accident. It sounded like someone was sending messages or snaps to Jason in the following days. KL said they don't know the passcode so they can't unlock the phone & see what the messages are about. And the warrants for acess to Snapchat & other stuff on the phone could take months to go through.

My understanding from what his family has said is that no one has come forward to LE. And I totally agree it could be nothing related to the disapperance, just either the person doesn't know or is afraid of getting in trouble unrelated to Jason. I believe it was on John Lordan's interview that KL described seeing messages from Snapchat show up on Jason's phone, after the accident. It sounded like someone was sending messages or snaps to Jason in the following days. KL said they don't know the passcode so they can't unlock the phone & see what the messages are about. And the warrants for acess to Snapchat & other stuff on the phone could take months to go through.

How incredibly frustrating this must be for Jason's family! I understand privacy laws, I really do, but clearly Jason is endangered missing, there should be exceptions for that. Also was Jason's Snapchat in his real name? I wonder if family could publicize under his Snapchat name if it's not obvious that it's Jason - like "If you chatted with user BigTex47639 on whenever..." but not sure where they would post things like that necessarily I guess.

Personally, I believe he is not too far from where his car was found and just difficult to find, but the Snapchats could give important clues one way or the other.

How incredibly frustrating this must be for Jason's family! I understand privacy laws, I really do, but clearly Jason is endangered missing, there should be exceptions for that. Also was Jason's Snapchat in his real name? I wonder if family could publicize under his Snapchat name if it's not obvious that it's Jason - like "If you chatted with user BigTex47639 on whenever..." but not sure where they would post things like that necessarily I guess.

Personally, I believe he is not too far from where his car was found and just difficult to find, but the Snapchats could give important clues one way or the other.

FYI, I think it is possible to login into snapchat from online (not on a phone-- many years ago when I was grounded and lost access to my phone I did this lol), so, if the parents had his username and access to his email account (to reset password) and/or know his "common" password, they may be able to access the snaps....

Yeah, you’re right. I just listened to the podcast and it does sound like it is not known who the person he might have talked to is.

FYI, I think it is possible to login into snapchat from online (not on a phone-- many years ago when I was grounded and lost access to my phone I did this lol), so, if the parents had his username and access to his email account (to reset password) and/or know his "common" password, they may be able to access the snaps....
Yep, I've done that too lol!
I think the issue is that they don't have any of his passwords or usernames. In the interview, KL was stressing how important it can be to share even just a phone passcode with a family member or someone you trust in case something awful like this happens. Because now they have to wait for Snapchat & other companies to process their requests for Jason's data & it could take months to a year for them to get around to it. It's so frustrating.

Yep, I've done that too lol!
I think the issue is that they don't have any of his passwords or usernames. In the interview, KL was stressing how important it can be to share even just a phone passcode with a family member or someone you trust in case something awful like this happens. Because now they have to wait for Snapchat & other companies to process their requests for Jason's data & it could take months to a year for them to get around to it. It's so frustrating.

I wonder if there is any chance they have access to his laptop? If so he might have his password auto-saved on some sites and they could see the password length and make guesses about what it might be. I've done this for my mother who forgets her passwords lol. If the parents have access to any of his accounts, there may be a way to find out his common passwords.

I wonder if there is any chance they have access to his laptop? If so he might have his password auto-saved on some sites and they could see the password length and make guesses about what it might be. I've done this for my mother who forgets her passwords lol. If the parents have access to any of his accounts, there may be a way to find out his common passwords.
I'm not sure, I can't recall if his laptop was taken by the police or if the family has it.

Are we sure that the notifications his father is seeing are messages directed to Jason? It's been a while since I used snapchat and I'm sure it's changed some, but as I recall snaps can be sent privately to one person or they can be sent to a bunch of people/all your friends. Depending on how Jason has his notifications set up, his dad could just seeing notifications from snaps that Jason is receiving but aren't specifically meant for him.

And similarly, the fact that he opened snapchat at the intersection doesn't necessarily mean he was messaging someone. He could just have been browsing. Although that's a weird place to do it.

Is anybody on here a gamer/discord user? I was running down the thread of what if Jason just happened upon the wrong house to ask for help. Think accidentally stumbling upon Jeffrey Dahmer's house. In doing so, I pulled up the DPS sex offender database to see if there was anybody in the general vicinity. There was no one in the areas Jason could have walked to, but as I started back-tracking on the map, I noticed an odd push-pin at the approximate location where he shut down Waze and pulled up snapchat. It turns out there is a half-way house right there that houses 34 registered sex offenders. It made me start wondering if he had met someone through gaming chat that was not who Jason thought he was? I'm wondering if we can find out what game he was into, could we look back through chat logs in discord to find out if he was chatting with anybody in the days leading up to his disappearance?
First off, thank you for all you’re doing!

I am both a novice gamer and frequent Discord user. Please let me know how I can help.

I'm wondering if we can find out what game he was into, could we look back through chat logs in discord to find out if he was chatting with anybody in the days leading up to his disappearance?
RSBM

Sorry, I didn’t finish my previous thought. Something similar has been brought up before and I responded briefly. I think it was in reference to Twitch. I did a cursory search using what we know about Jason and didn’t find anything. We’d have to know something specific. A username, gamer tag, or Discord name. I couldn’t even tell you my Discord name/ID and I use the app everyday. FWIW. ETA: Discord has specific servers or channels. Without his private message history we’d need to narrow it down to a server/channel. That could possibly be done if we knew what game(s) he was interested in. And he was chatting publicly.

I’m not “fluent” in Twitter, so unless anyone is and can narrow down the search, we’d have to dig up more. Even then, I’m not sure how useful that’d be without access to his accounts and message history. If that makes sense.

But I’ll help any way I can!

Are we sure that the notifications his father is seeing are messages directed to Jason? It's been a while since I used snapchat and I'm sure it's changed some, but as I recall snaps can be sent privately to one person or they can be sent to a bunch of people/all your friends. Depending on how Jason has his notifications set up, his dad could just seeing notifications from snaps that Jason is receiving but aren't specifically meant for him.

And similarly, the fact that he opened snapchat at the intersection doesn't necessarily mean he was messaging someone. He could just have been browsing. Although that's a weird place to do it.
I'm not a snapchat user, but if it's like some other social media, there's likely a fair number of non-personal messages (or even spam/phishing). The majority of tweets I get on twitter now are promoted ads or news releases. Is this as common on snapchat?

I'm not a snapchat user, but if it's like some other social media, there's likely a fair number of non-personal messages (or even spam/phishing). The majority of tweets I get on twitter now are promoted ads or news releases. Is this as common on snapchat?
I only get ads in snapchat when viewing someone's story. I only get alerts for messages that are sent to me, not for stories. I don't know if that's a setting I have set that way, or if it just works that way because I am not super savvy about it. :D

RSBM

We’d have to know something specific. A username, gamer tag, or Discord name...

But I’ll help any way I can!

So I got a little creative going down the gamer rabbit hole…Through social media and a few other sources, I found out Jason’s game of choice was Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I then went to reddit and started searching for sub-reddits related to that game and found a couple. I then used google advanced search terms (san marcos site:https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/ before:2020-12-14) to search for various search terms and finally got a hit on San Marcos. This led me to the San Marcos Facebook group for Smash Bros (Facebook Groups) which allowed me in once I answered the challenge question of who my main is (Marth per a quick google search lol). This then led me to a listing for the San Marcos Smash Ultimate Discord server (Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities) My next move is just a brute force combing through both and trying to find anything that could identify Jason and see where that leads, but for now, my brain is mush. Thought I would share this here before I rack out in case any of you clever folks have any thoughts on how to proceed from here.

**Edit** Updated Discord server https://discord.gg/v9Zn9A4

So I got a little creative going down the gamer rabbit hole…Through social media and a few other sources, I found out Jason’s game of choice was Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I then went to reddit and started searching for sub-reddits related to that game and found a couple. I then used google advanced search terms (san marcos site:https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/ before:2020-12-14) to search for various search terms and finally got a hit on San Marcos. This led me to the San Marcos Facebook group for Smash Bros (Facebook Groups) which allowed me in once I answered the challenge question of who my main is (Marth per a quick google search lol). This then led me to a listing for the San Marcos Smash Ultimate Discord server (Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities) My next move is just a brute force combing through both and trying to find anything that could identify Jason and see where that leads, but for now, my brain is mush. Thought I would share this here before I rack out in case any of you clever folks have any thoughts on how to proceed from here.

I’m in. Thanks to the updated link. I’ll see what I can find. ETA: I’m in the discord server... not a big fan of FB.

You are awesome.

@JimWest this is pretty difficult. I’m in the discord server and see no obvious links to JL. There are only about 100 members... which isn’t a lot when it comes to servers. I wish I knew more about Smash Bros, but I don’t.

To put things into perspective, I play Sea Of Thieves mostly, so I know that. There is a main SOT Discord server which hosts most players...there are smaller servers that branch out from there. If one were to look for my online presence, they’d start from the main SOT server and then go from there. Only 2 people know me from outside the main server.

ETA: and those two people have NO idea who I really am... not even my real name.

Discord can be extremely specific. He may have been into SSBU but maybe not on the San Marcos scene, since he just started school there. There is a SSBU Houston group (Missouri City being a suburb, 17 miles away).

with COVID halting most in-person tournaments and gatherings, he may not have even been connected on a regional level. There's been a lot of online tournaments. I follow a pro SSB player on Twitch who does weekly SSBU tournaments and have also joined his Discord; but there's no obvious connection since he's based out of FL. I don't even own a Switch, having mostly played offline on the 3DS version.

Even then, I doubt there would be many messages out in the open, on servers, that anyone can join, under real names for both parties.

Anything is possible, I guess. Not much has added up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa