GUILTY OH - Brianna Ratliff, 20, Coshocton, 15 Apr 2021 *ARREST*

19-year-old Coshocton man charged in death of Brianna Ratliff | NBC4 WCMH-TV

Charges have been filed against a 19-year-old man in the death of Brianna Ratliff.

Blake A. Grewell of Coshocton is being charged with aggravated murder, with additional charges pending.

Section 2929.03 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws

Effective:
April 12, 2021

What's the Difference Between Murder and Aggravated Murder? | Rion, Rion & Rion, L.P.A., Inc.

In Ohio, if a person is accused of purposely killing another individual, they may be charged under O.R.C. 2903.02(murder) or O.R.C. 2903.01 (aggravated murder). The latter charge is considered more serious than the former, and several factors determine which law is applied to a particular case.

Because aggravated murder is a more severe offense than murder, specific factors must have been apparent in the crime for it to be elevated to this charge.

In Ohio, a person commits aggravated murder when they purposely:

• With premeditation, cause another's death or the unlawful termination of a pregnancy
  • Cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of pregnancy and they were committing, attempting to commit, or fleeing after committing any of the following offenses:
    • Kidnapping,
    • Rape,
    • Aggravated arson,
    • Arson,
    • Aggravated robbery,
    • Robbery,
    • Aggravated burglary,
    • Burglary,
    • Trespass (when others were present in the habitation),
    • Terrorism, or
    • Escape
  • Kill someone under 13 years of age
  • Cause the death of another while they were incarcerated
  • Kill a law enforcement officer or a first responder

It looks like Grewell had no fear of any consequences. Almost solely focussed on harming her.

When the murder weapon is called an instrument you just know it is a murder within the sadistic realm...

Absolutely tragic.

Laurelanne Ratliff knows that her daughter Brianna was a good person who touched a lot of people and was kind to everyone.

Brianna went missing shortly after 7 p.m. April 15 from the area of Hall Park. Her body was found shortly after 7 p.m. April 18 in a vacant house in the 1800 block of Chestnut Street, near the park.

Blake A. Grewell, 19, of Coshocton, was formally charged Tuesday afternoon with aggravated murder, an unclassified felony. The charge carries a minimum penalty of 20 years in prison up to life without parole and up to a $25,000 fine.

Grewell appeared Wednesday morning in Coshocton Municipal Court and had bond set at $1 million by Judge Timothy France. A preliminary hearing was set for 11:30 a.m. April 27, unless the case is bound over to Coshocton County Common Pleas Court for indictment, which is likely.

Laurelanne confirmed Brianna and Grewell had been friends since middle school. She said they were close.

“Brianna had been through some rough stuff in her life. She didn’t trust a whole lot of people, but Blake was one she trusted. She would go anywhere with him,” Laurelanne said. “If she wasn’t messaging me, she was messaging him and they talked.”

Laurelanne just wants the public to know “there was nothing bad about Brianna.”

BBM
So awful to start with but to be betrayed like that by someone who was close and trusted just makes it worse.
I’m curious whether Blake joined in the searches.??

So awful to start with but to be betrayed like that by someone who was close and trusted just makes it worse.
I’m curious whether Blake joined in the searches.??
I get the impression that Blake was a suspect from the beginning. Unconfirmed mentions of a "confession" make me think maybe he gave someone some indication of where to find the body.

I tend to agree the motive was most likely years of frustration at being the best friend in the assumption that eventually he would become the boyfriend then coming to a final realization for one reason or another that wasn't going to happen. It's a common misunderstanding among adolescents raised in the Disney movie sanitized version of reality.

I get the impression that Blake was a suspect from the beginning. Unconfirmed mentions of a "confession" make me think maybe he gave someone some indication of where to find the body.

I tend to agree the motive was most likely years of frustration at being the best friend in the assumption that eventually he would become the boyfriend then coming to a final realization for one reason or another that wasn't going to happen. It's a common misunderstanding among adolescents raised in the Disney movie sanitized version of reality.

I think it's unfortunately a common male entitlement, moreso than a Disney thing.

Wow. Sounds like they were pretty close, how heartbreaking, disgusting and disparaging. Who in the world can we trust if not our close friends? can't believe that this was premeditated and he actually derived pleasure from the idea of killing someone so pure seeming who had love for him. just the absolute tragedy. I am still reminded so much of the Aranda Briones case.
RIP to the beautiful lights of this world snuffed out heinously by greedy, insecure, selfish, sick people. moo

I think it's unfortunately a common male entitlement, moreso than a Disney thing.
Entitlement is taught and largely by the romantic narrative. It's pointless at worst for girls to believe that one day their prince will come and sweep them off their feet. Conversely, for boys to truly believe they are that prince can be outright dangerous.

Entitlement is taught and largely by the romantic narrative. It's pointless at worst for girls to believe that one day their prince will come and sweep them off their feet. Conversely, for boys to truly believe they are that prince can be outright dangerous.

I agree 100% that it is taught. I do not agree 100% that it is taught by ideas of romance, or at least not solely. I think it's multifaceted and far more complex than that.

On Brianna's FB there's a picture of them together and I just saw it and got the chills. I will not post it out of respect for Brianna and her family.

Brianna's mom said Brianna was working 100 hours a week to help her family financially during the pandemic. She had gotten a full ride scholarship to college but declined it in order to selflessly help her family stay afloat. Her mom said all she did was work, sleep when she got home, and pay bills. She was so dedicated to her family. :(

Murdered Coshocton woman remembered as a light to all

Laurelanne just wants the public to know “there was nothing bad about Brianna.”

“She was an amazing person with nothing but love to offer anybody,” Laurelanne continued. “She had no evil eyes toward someone who was ugly or had a disability. Those were the people she clung to. Those were the people she told their hair was beautiful today to try to make them smile. She was a light to people.”

On Brianna's FB there's a picture of them together and I just saw it and got the chills. I will not post it out of respect for Brianna and her family.

Brianna's mom said Brianna was working 100 hours a week to help her family financially during the pandemic. She had gotten a full ride scholarship to college but declined it in order to selflessly help her family stay afloat. Her mom said all she did was work, sleep when she got home, and pay bills. She was so dedicated to her family. :(

Same girl, same.

Impressive young woman. We lost a good one.

:(

A Missing 20-Year-Old Woman's Body Was Found In A Vacant Ohio Home And A Friend Has Been Charged With Her Murder | Oxygen Official Site

April 23
Blake A. Grewell, 19, has been formally charged with aggravated murder in the death of Brianna Ratliff, who vanished last week.

Her remains were found by a search party in a home on the 1800 block of Chestnut Street in the city of Coshocton, Ohio on April 18. A cadaver dog assisted in recovering the 20-year-old’s body.

She was stabbed to death, according to a preliminary autopsy and her death has been ruled a homicide.

"Her death was traumatic," Coshocton County Coroner Douglas Virostko told Oxygen.com on Friday.

It’s currently unclear when or where Ratliff may have died.

No motive in the alleged slaying was released. Officials, however, said further charges could be pending.

“More charges are anticipated upon further review of the case
by the Coshocton County Prosecutor’s office,” Coshocton County Sheriff James A. Crawford said in a statement.

His case was moved to Coshocton County Common Pleas Court from Coshocton Municipal Court on April 27th. Can't directly link to the case so you have to go through the captcha and search to get to it. Documents, in image form, should be available in the Docket tab. There is one there that is only the transcript of the Municipal Court docket.

Go Here: https://eservices.coshoctoncourt.com/eservices/home.page.2
Fill in the captcha and click "I Agree"
When the search comes up fill in Grewell as the last name and Blake as the first and click "Search".
Click on the case.
When it opens you will be in the ALL Information tab. The Docket tab will be along the top and that is where the various activities and filings will be.

On the Party tab you will find out his address and you can google map that will then be able to see just how close he lived to the park and where she was found (a little over 1200 feet in both instances).

His case was moved to Coshocton County Common Pleas Court from Coshocton Municipal Court on April 27th. Can't directly link to the case so you have to go through the captcha and search to get to it. Documents, in image form, should be available in the Docket tab. There is one there that is only the transcript of the Municipal Court docket.

Go Here: https://eservices.coshoctoncourt.com/eservices/home.page.2
Fill in the captcha and click "I Agree"
When the search comes up fill in Grewell as the last name and Blake as the first and click "Search".
Click on the case.
When it opens you will be in the ALL Information tab. The Docket tab will be along the top and that is where the various activities and filings will be.

On the Party tab you will find out his address and you can google map that will then be able to see just how close he lived to the park and where she was found (a little over 1200 feet in both instances).

Thanks for sharing.

Blake Grewell indicted with murder, rape of Brianna Ratliff
7 May 2021
  • Blake Grewell was indicted Friday by a special edition of the grand jury in the death of Brianna Ratliff.
  • He was indicted with two counts of aggravated murder, unclassified felonies, rape, a first-degree felony, and tampering with evidence, a third-degree felony.
  • It was said that a cutting instrument was used in the murder and the lethal event was stab wounds to the neck.
  • Ratliff was buried Friday at Mount Hope Cemetery in Shiloh.
Snip

Grewell is being held in the Coshocton Justice Center on a $1 million bond.

7 May 2021
  • Blake Grewell was indicted Friday by a special edition of the grand jury in the death of Brianna Ratliff.
  • He was indicted with two counts of aggravated murder, unclassified felonies, rape, a first-degree felony, and tampering with evidence, a third-degree felony.
  • It was said that a cutting instrument was used in the murder and the lethal event was stab wounds to the neck.
Snip

And there it is. I just knew sexual assault was going to be a part of this.

7 May 2021
Snip

Oh my. The article also states “evidence against Grewell was overwhelming. This included a confession, recovery of the alleged murder weapon, witness testimony and video, forensic and medical evidence”

I hate to think of what the witness and video evidence include.

I agree - I sadly thought all along that this was a sexually motivated crime, made even more heinous by the fact that the Brianna was assaulted and murdered by someone she had previously considered a close friend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back