Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #55 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry Morphew enters courtroom in orange-and-white jumpsuit...handcuffed and shackled...daughters are here. @channel2kwgn @KDVR #SuzanneMorphew morphew

https://twitter.com/greg_nieto/status/1390344641447284737?s=21

Judge will allow #BarryMorphew to have “civil contact” with his 2 daughters. Those 2 daughters are in the courtroom. @channel2kwgn @KDVR #SuzanneMorphew

https://twitter.com/greg_nieto/status/1390347364565618688?s=21

Not to be overly detail oriented, but I was surprised that it was not a jumpsuit. It appeared to be an orange and white striped shirt, somewhat like a polo shirt, and then some plain shorts.

IOW, we didn't get to see him in classic jail duds.

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew next court appearance will be May 27 at 4 p.m. He was read his rights, and his charges. He responded with only yes, sir.
@FOX21News

9:49 AM · May 6, 2021·

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#SuzanneMorphew I’m told the daughters were inside the courtroom and were very emotional. One camera was allowed inside the courtroom but no audio was allowed.
@FOX21News

9:59 AM · May 6, 2021

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew was in a white and orange striped shirt and pants with handcuffs and a mask. He agreed to be appointed the public defenders.
@FOX21News

9:53 AM · May 6, 2021

SuzanneMorphew I’m told the daughters were inside the courtroom and were very emotional. One camera was allowed inside the courtroom but no audio was allowed. @FOX21News

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1390350463438974976?s=21

That's odd because I looked and looked but did not see them. There were certainly no two people sitting together in the public area. The only people I saw in front of the railing were court personnel - and Barry.

I saw Lauren in the audience and about 5 other people, each sitting separately. I figured only journalists were allowed in. If the girls were there, they did absolutely nothing to pull attention and I was watching very intently. The view was basically Judge's eye view on the camera - so I find it hard to believe they were there.

ETA: It was not Lauren and I'm not sure how I thought that it was - but the daughters are certainly not there. I will not post a screen capture because, well, I believe the Judge thought there was not a camera on. But the public did get to see it - it was streamed live on more than one youtube channel and is still available on Chris's channel if anyone wants to watch.

Last edited:
Did someone say Barry was cheap?
Doesn't matter if he is cheap. If he has enough assets then he will be required to hire a defense lawyer to replace the public defender. It's a matter of his financial standing.
ETA: His financial dealings have been in very frugal fashion and it seems as if he doesn't like spending unneeded money, but he can't apply his frugality in this situation.

The judge issued a protection order with civil contact so that Morphew may speak with his two daughters, Mallory and Macy.

“That contact must be civil. So, you cannot threaten, harass or annoy,” 11th Judicial District Court Judge Patrick Murphy cautioned.

Morphew’s public defenders, Magdalena Rosa and Daniel Zettler, received a digital copy of his arrest affidavit, which outlines probable cause. It remains sealed to the public.

His next court appearance is scheduled at 4 p.m. on May 27. He remains in Chaffee County jail without bond.

Barry Morphew makes first court appearance since arrest in wife's killing

42661850-9550667-image-a-116_1620321228728.jpg

That's odd because I looked and looked but did not see them. There were certainly no two people sitting together in the public area. The only people I saw in front of the railing were court personnel - and Barry.

Suzanne Morphew case: Husband arrested on murder charge | 9news.com
[Morphew's daughters sat in the jury box during the hearing which was being used for spectators to allow for social distancing. The jury box bumps up to the defense table, where their dad was seated. A 9NEWS reporter who was in the courtroom heard them tell their dad that they loved him.]

GUIDE TO THE COLORADO CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM

The Process:

1. Arrest:

An officer may arrest a person when probable cause exists to believe he/she committed the offense.

2. 1st advisement:
This is the first time the accused is brought into court. During this hearing,
the judge will advise the accused that they are under “investigation”. This means the District Attorney has not filed charges yet. The Judge will advise the accused what crime they are being investigated for committing. Bond will be set on all cases except those involving investigations for homicides.
_________

BM appeared in court for his Advisement Hearing. The Judge read BM his rights under the investigation. Bond was not set because BM is under investigation for murder (bond ineligible pursuant to statute).

Contrary to what you may have heard by Chris M., there were no motions heard during the Advsisment to seal the arrest affidavit or discussion not to allow bond because BM was a flight risk (liquidated his assets) and stated he was going to Arizona. Seriously, none of that was discussed during the court hearing!!

https://www.coloradodefenders.us/wp...e-to-the-colorado-criminal-justice-system.pdf

https://twitter.com/marcsallinger/status/1390358576514797571?s=21

NOTE: The judge issued an order allowing 1 TV camera in the courtroom. We were not allowed to record audio. We were also not allowed to record any video of Morphew's daughters. You will not see their names or pictures on our air as they deal with these unimaginable circumstances

[ Prior to the hearing, his attorney asked the judge to reconsider a motion that was granted earlier to allow a camera in the courtroom. Morphew's attorney also asked that if a camera was allowed, that Barry Morphew be allowed to wear street clothes. The judge denied that motion.]
BBM
Suzanne Morphew case: Husband arrested on murder charge | 9news.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads