SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions regarding the circumstances of Satterfield’s death have apparently circulated within the community for years.

During a deposition with the Department of Natural Resources in connection to the 2019 boating crash that killed Mallory Beach, a passenger and then-friend of Paul Murdaugh told law enforcement that he was initially afraid to come forward with details of that night’s events, saying he was afraid of the Murdaugh family.

When asked what he meant, Connor Cook cited Satterfield’s death as a point of concern:

“[It] was said that Paul had pushed his [house maid] down the stairs and she died and nothing ever happened.”
SLED opening criminal investigation into 2018 death of former Murdaugh family housekeeper | WJBF

More from the Harpootlian interview and what he says:

1) They stood by the side of the road "for 30 minutes and the other guy didn't talk him out of it."
2) Alex collapsed and went blind for a while. [this 'story' likely to cover off why AM couldn't describe the person very well to LE.]
3) AM and legal team reached out to SLED to give them the statement. SLED didn't reach out to them. (hmmm...). And he offered up the statement because he didn't want LE to spend more time investigating a fake crime, rather than investigating the murder of Maggie & Paul.
4) When asked whether AM possibly had any involvement in MM/PM murders, Harpootlian says he doesn't think so. He managed to throw in a comment that, when working with the family on the boating case over the past year and a half he saw MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate.
5) And then, of course Harpootlian implies that he and Jim Griffen think they know of a possible person(s) who might possibly, maybe might be involved in the murders. But of course they don't have LE tools, so ya know...they can't say for sure if the one suspect bears any further scrutiny. And he stumbles over answering what the motive of that person might be. :rolleyes:

Harpootlian looks completely foolish and dishonest in this interview. I don't think he helped AM's case at all. It makes AM look more guilty, not less. IMO.
"When asked whether AM possibly had any involvement in MM/PM murders, Harpootlian says he doesn't think so. He managed to throw in a comment that, when working with the family on the boating case over the past year and a half he saw MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate."

Oh My Lord---what a weak defense. His own lawyer cannot say that AM is innocent of killing his wife and son. wow....not a great answer from your attorney when his ONE JOB was to convince the audience of his client's innocence in the double murder.

And to make it worse, when he does try to give some kind of evidence of innocence on AM's part, he says he saw "MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate." <<THat is his big evidence of innocence on his client's part? :rolleyes:

Her death wasn't reported to the coroner, so no autopsy was done!? She died in hospital right?
She died in the Murdaugh home according to this:

Gloria Satterfield, 57, died in February 2018 after “a trip and fall accident” in the home of the Murdaughs, where she had worked for more than 20 years and was treated like “part of the Murdaugh family,” a lawsuit said.
Alex Murdaugh sued over insurance payout tied to housekeeper's death
*I thought all deaths inside a home unattended by a physician required an autopsy.

Eta:
Code of Laws - Title 17 - Chapter 7 - Autopsies And Inquest On The Dead

https://law.justia.com/codes/south-carolina/2013/title-17/chapter-5/section-17-5-530/

Last edited:
https://www.scribd.com/document/525512653/Curtis-Smith-Warrants-Affidavit

Melvin said, "If he didn't murder them, does he perhaps know who did, and why?"

Harpootlian: :"I don't think he does. Jim Griffin and I are working on individuals whom we believe may — may — have some culpability or know who did it.... We are not law enforcement. We don't have their tools. But we think we will know this week whether the one suspect we are looking at bears further scrutiny. We will make that information available to law enforcement."
Alex Murdaugh will likely be charged in suicide attempt, attorney says. But with what?

I am thinking that standing waist deep in a pile of manure is not the best place from which to be pointing fingers and saying that someone else may - may - be stinky.

I think Harpootlian should leave the investigating to the investigators.

P.S. Whatever happened to Griffin? Does he have laryngitis?

Edited to remove hanging quote.

Questions regarding the circumstances of Satterfield’s death have apparently circulated within the community for years.

During a deposition with the Department of Natural Resources in connection to the 2019 boating crash that killed Mallory Beach, a passenger and then-friend of Paul Murdaugh told law enforcement that he was initially afraid to come forward with details of that night’s events, saying he was afraid of the Murdaugh family.

When asked what he meant, Connor Cook cited Satterfield’s death as a point of concern:

“[It] was said that Paul had pushed his [house maid] down the stairs and she died and nothing ever happened.”
SLED opening criminal investigation into 2018 death of former Murdaugh family housekeeper | WJBF

"[It] was said that Paul had pushed his [house maid] down the stairs and she died and nothing ever happened.”

Did he trip over the dogs?:rolleyes:

Gov. Henry McMaster on Wednesday called the ongoing Alex Murdaugh case one of the “saddest stories” he’s heard.

“The whole thing from beginning to end, and I don’t know all the details, is one of the saddest stories I think I’ve ever heard. It’s just sad,” McMaster said during a media availability with reporters.

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254268323.html#storylink=cpy

OMG the sons of the housekeeper didn't even know there had been a settlement. Is this a scam other clients have been exposed to with these lawyers. Is that how money gets "misappropriated" ?

My interpretation (MOO):

*Alex referred Gloria’s boys to his good buddy Corey Fleming to use as their attorney.
*The insurance company paid $500,000 to Fleming.
*Fleming, who was in cahoots with Murdaugh, took his 30% and then referred the remaining funds back to a trust with Alex as the personal representative.
*From there, the money vanished.
*It’s a scam.
*Gloria’s family didn’t even need a lawyer for an uncontested claim.
Note: Alex went on to refer Connor Cook to Fleming after the boat crash.

"When asked whether AM possibly had any involvement in MM/PM murders, Harpootlian says he doesn't think so. He managed to throw in a comment that, when working with the family on the boating case over the past year and a half he saw MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate."

Oh My Lord---what a weak defense. His own lawyer cannot say that AM is innocent of killing his wife and son. wow....not a great answer from your attorney when his ONE JOB was to convince the audience of his client's innocence in the double murder.

And to make it worse, when he does try to give some kind of evidence of innocence on AM's part, he says he saw "MM and AM holding hands and that the family was very affectionate." <<THat is his big evidence of innocence on his client's part? :rolleyes:
Great catch. It jibes with the defense already talking about (alternate) suspects.

The coroner’s office said the “Petition for Approval of a Wrongful Death Settlement” stated that Satterfield died as a “result of injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident, in Hampton County”.

According to the coroner’s office, Satterfield’s death was not reported to the corner at the time, nor was an autopsy preformed.

Satterfield’s manner of death was ruled “natural”, which is inconsistent with injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident.
SLED, coroner opens investigation in 2018 death of former Murdaugh housekeeper

Interesting, since slip and fall deaths need to be reported, but natural ones do not.

Now I am curious if they are investigating because they think that there was foul play in her actual death.....or if they are investigating for insurance fraud, and they lied about her falling and she really just died in the house of natural causes. I hope she wasn't cremated, so they can finally do an autopsy.

Timeline reference for Hampton County Coroner - Angela Topper. She was Deputy Coroner in 2018 when Gloria Satterfield died.

Aug. 28, 2019 became Coroner was previously Deputy Coroner and replaced Coroner Ernie Washington. According to the article, she began working for the Hampton County Coroner's office in 2016
Gov. McMaster approves new Hampton County Coroner | WSAV-TV

Was she the same coroner the investigator in Stephen Smith's case argued with over her determination of his death being a hit and run?

Ever"? If his attorneys have always known Alex had an (alleged) longstanding opioid addiction, didn't they have a legal obligation to report him to the SC Bar? Alcohol / drug abuse is a top reason for suspensions / disbarments.

Do you have a source for this info? I know this is true of physicians, but I don’t think addiction alone is cause for disbarment and I’m almost positive no one has a legal obligation to report it to the bar. If they do, pretty much 100% of attorneys are in violation of that one.

If the "assisted suicide" insurance scheme is fiction, I wonder what caused AM to "admit" to it. Other than all the strange things we noticed about the incident, did LE present him with evidence? I think it would be something to do with Curtis Eddie Smith. JMO.

Was he picked up on the unrelated drug charges before Alex fessed up, maybe?
I'm waiting to see if Cousin Eddie gets a public defender or if AM recommends another best friend to represent him.
Me thinks he would be better off with a public defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member