Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised LE didn't keep BL under surveillance. Don't they usually keep a close eye on a suspect?

He was officially not a suspect. Even now, there isn't officially a crime, and there won't be until the autopsy results come back Tuesday or Wednesday.

This was their logic, and it's legally sound. But the reality is that it is completely legal to put someone under surveillance without them being a suspect. That's how many crimes get solved.

1st hole - she didn't leave so her stuff is still in the van. He couldn't miss that detail.
2nd - the august 30th text to mom. Who sent it if she's dead.
3rd - the alleged sighting that he used her credit card to get gas at 11pm on the 29th

1. This is weird, but not impossible. If she left in a huff then it is likely she didn't bring much, if anything, with her. If she was gone when he got back he may have hoped she flew home and headed that way to meet her or simply panicked and headed home.
2. Anyone with access to GPs fingerprint may have been able to send that text, and it seems odd for BL to incorrectly text the next destination given that he was the driver and knew exactly where they were headed.
3. Alleged. There was also a photo snapped of someone in his home town after he disappeared, but that guy has a sleeve tattoo so clearly not BL. Didn't stop it from circulating though.... People are on the lookout and bald white 20 somethings are everywhere.

Edit: imo and got rid of double quote.

Definitely possible, but then mom did not feel it was GP sending the text. Didn't it say Yosemite when it should have said Yellowstone?

I don't want to break any site rules, but does what mom says really indicate hard confirmable facts? My kids post short brief texts and long whiny texts and medium exuberant texts and everything in between. Not sure which one I might say doesn't sound like them.

I'm sorry I must be confused-- Which stickers were placed b/w Aug 27 and Sept 1? The ones in the second picture you posted (I think LE photos after the van was confiscated) are also present in the body cam video on August 12. So the stickers seem to be something that Gabby also participated in. Is there one that was added later that seems significant? See here for the shots with stickers (around 12:12):

Rookie posting quickly... cause the thead is moving. Someone might be able to do better/ correct me.
van2.jpg van5.jpg van3.JPG

Here are some screenshots/pics to compare:

Aug 12th:
gabbyvan4.png

Aug 27th:

gabbyvan2.png

After Sept 11 when impounded by law enforcement:

gabbyvan5.jpg gabbyvan3.jpg

Note that several are new.

The ones that stood out to me:

"Today is a Great Day"
"Life is Good in the Woods"
"Desert Cosmic"

Again to be clear, I think he killed her and ran home, and that my scenario had plenty of holes. But concerning the August 30th text to GP's mom. Sometimes my wife doesn't receive a text I send her until the next day. Its weird. I have sat beside her when her phone dinged and seen my day old text pop up. I can easily see a text getting hung up in an area with spotty reception and being sent at a later time.
The most important aspect of that text is that he likely had control of her phone when that text was sent. The digital footprint is going to tell a crucial story. When and from what location was the text sent? Was it sent when he was on the way home? If it was sent after she had died, it's going to be very bad for BL.

And where is her phone?

This is what makes me semiconsider he left her alive and well and found out something was amiss when he got back to Florida and her parents hadn't heard from her either. If they were prone to arguing, maybe her not contacting him and vice versa wasn't uncommon during a disagreement, so that didn't seem odd to him.
But he took her van? And her family did not hear from her? How is that explained? It was her van, not his to drive back to Florida.

I don't want to break any site rules, but does what mom says really indicate hard confirmable facts? My kids post short brief texts and long whiny texts and medium exuberant texts and everything in between. Not sure which one I might say doesn't sound like them.
I think stuff like semantics give people away, messages from someone pretending to be someone else may not feel right as the imposter cant match style exactly.

This is what makes me semiconsider he left her alive and well and found out something was amiss when he got back to Florida and her parents hadn't heard from her either. If they were prone to arguing, maybe her not contacting him and vice versa wasn't uncommon during a disagreement, so that didn't seem odd to him.

I disagree Keyedin. IMO the fact the van was caught on film where she was found deceased does not jive with him having left her alive and well.

If you see where LE are gathered together kind of under that tree - that is believed to be the area where Gabby was found. They're shielding her while other LE are setting up the canopy.
I believe it you watch the video past 33 seconds where they are huddled near the tree and shrubs, after the 2 horse riders cross the creek, and 20+ searchers marching down the road, they eventually disperse -- no shield. I believe this is the staging area in advance of the coroner's arrival set up near the road and not the crime recovery scene. MOO

Last edited:
He was officially not a suspect. Even now, there isn't officially a crime, and there won't be until the autopsy results come back Tuesday or Wednesday.

This was their logic, and it's legally sound. But the reality is that it is completely legal to put someone under surveillance without them being a suspect. That's how many crimes get solved.

And that thing about Investigative Subpeona. I looked that up and it looks like they don't have to have anything but a suspicion to get one.

You know, I keep considering the option that there was some verbal fight and separation. Later when he finally returns, she is nowhere to be found and he drives home thinking she left him BUT... There seems to be texts and social media activity after the time we think she died, such as the text to her mother on the 30th? I don't think there's enough room in the timeline for her to still be alive on the 30th and then him driving home alone by the 1st...

This may really matter: why wasn't their tent pitched outside the van in the dash cam video?

It may be because there wasn't room.

Or it might indicate that they had just arrived, or just leaving. I can see him taking the tent after he killed Gabby (that is so hard to write). Did LE ever find the tent? What was its condition?

Don't think anyone would buy that, too much planning, traveling, evading. Maybe a self-defense lie though. Probably no plea deal now that Gabby has been found thank goodness. I think they fought, their fights were escalating, she tried to get away, and he strangled her (like another poster here, I didn't like the way he touched, grabbed and pushed Gabby under the chin area). Then used the tarp to drag her 200 yards from that road and left her in a shallow grave. He tried to cover his tracks with his parents help. And here we are.
I believe you're right about the arguments escalating. And I think the trip back to Florida was a result of that and not to move belongings from storage. It was a "cooling off time". But after his return to Gabby the fighting became worse. What caused the violence ending her life I can't imagine, but I don't believe it was premeditated. His behaviour after that...I can't think of a logical or excusable reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500