Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about the large stone with a black spot on top of the orange paint. The holes in pic 3 look like bullet holes to the untrained eye but IMO they're something else but I have no idea what. I'd love your opinion.
View attachment 318025 View attachment 318026 View attachment 318027

Harrowing photos show trees and rocks around Gabby Petito's death site marked by FBI | Daily Mail Online

Well, someone posted earlier that they were markers for a 3D reconstruction to be used at future trial - and I would expect that the black marks on the rocks were to denote that particular position needed to be scanned - the orange probably indicates that it was scanned.

They bring a scanner in to scan the general area, using grid markers and GPS, then they put in the points of interest to the particular crime. So, I believe the rocks probably indicate the area (for example) where Gabby's head may have been. I am not sure that the holes in the trees are meaningful to this crime, but they would have gone ahead and scanned some points merely out of possible interest. I'm linking an article below that shows the forensic use and I've asked a couple of colleagues who use this technique in archaeology to comment on what they think it could mean (they don't use orange paint, they use metal markers that are removable from the scene, but paint would be easier).

How 3D Scanning Rebuilds Crime Scenes for Courtrooms | GIM International

My guess is that a lot of those markers won't end up being particularly pertinent to Gabby's death, but at the time they did the scan, the forensics crew would not have known she was strangled, so they marked anything they thought looked suspicious...

246278691_10224677278032911_6930460056165184543_n.jpg

Pictures taken from MLS of 5100 Linksman match with Brian’s Instagram pics. The floor windows 100% match. 67 weeks from today is July 2020 (they tend to post pics late).
Lived with Cassie and family for a while. at wabasso
Apr 2020 Moved out to linksman
Oct 2020 Cassie moved to their new house
Oct 2020 laundrie parents move to wabasso
March 2021 linksman gets sold
Gabby Brian move back to wabasso so only with parents for couple months at wabasso before going to New york for brothers graduation in June and departing from NY for their van trip

Okay. I was just going by what her best friend Rose had said regarding her living in parents condo in Venice. That's why I searched for the property in Venice. I didn't know they owned another property here in North Port. Yes they sold it in March, 2021.

She was less than a foot away while he yelled, but she couldn't make out what he was saying? Hmm that doesn't really add up to me. Then she said the whole incident took place over 10-15 minutes, but at one point she said they were gone for 10 minutes before they came back again. Maybe she just isn't recalling correctly because they didn't think it was important at the time, I don't know but there were a lot of contradictions in that short interview.

Agreed. Memory can be an odd thing.

It's true, this is something a defense would try and exploit. But there is some evidence. We do know the coroners time of death window is Aug 22-29. Also, in the federal warrant the unauthorized use begins Aug 30, so perhaps the FBI has more evidence that she was dead before the end of the 30th.

Again, i took that window to be a rough estimate, not at all precise. "3-4 weeks" is not "Aug 22-29" in my reading, but perhaps that will come. As for the unauthorized use, that doesn't prove whether or not she was dead at that point.

I agree it is odd information to just offer. I'm wondering if they were asked by a reporter something like "did you see the van" and then the manager answered "no they arrived on foot" - but the question didn't make it in to the report? JMO
You might be right because out of context it makes no sense IMO

The reserve is now open.. no new charges or anything.. me thinks he’s dead.

I'm still a fence sitter on this. I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks he's dead, too.

But the lack of charges seems to be standard operating procedure these days, especially in a case where the suspect/POI is missing. The intense effort to locate BL in the preserve indicates that LE thinks he committed a major crime (obviously) but...the Marshals showing up near the AT means that there can't be a lot of evidence of him being in the preserve - and certainly no evidence that he is dead there.

I'm feeling really sad about this case today. I want Gabby's family to learn what really happened and to see justice for their daughter. Dead bodies go unlocated for years sometimes (decades), even in places less difficult to search than that preserve.

I'd love to know if there are posters up for the whereabouts of BL all along the gateway towns/roads to the AT - stating his height and giving the shape of his backpack, etc., and showing his distinctive features (ears, eye shape in particular).

IMO the bicycle guy has a much different facial shape, from the snippet we can see, but then again we've talked for a month about how he can change his appearance. If he IS hiding outdoors then he would've lost weight and his facial structure could appear this way. I doubt it’s him but I applaud the owner for being proactive when a tip has actual potential.
Have there been any updates about the engineer who claimed to see him on the AT trail? Any updates, or they discounted it, or they’re still searching? I don’t watch most of the news videos that are posted so I may be ignorant.

It sold to a "Revocable Living Trust." Does this imply that it was bought as an investment property? I'm not sure of the correct terminology, but when I sold my parents' house under probate the buyer was referred to as a group of investors. I think this often implies future use as a rental, but they flipped our house.

A Revokable Living Trust is a family trust. Usually, the elderly parents put their money in such a trust and then, after the elderly parents deaths, the adult child has access to it for use for things such as buying real estate and living expenses. Purists would keep any property they bought with the money within the Revokable Living Trust. One of the main advantages of having such a trust is that it protects money from being attached in a lawsuit. So, for example, if the adult child were in a car accident and the person they hit sued the adult child, they would not be able to sue for the money or assets in the Revokable Living Trust.

right, we know when she was last seen, but when you said " Aug 30; she was already dead" is still a presumption without evidence, is it not?
That's assuming one believes her body is all the evidence they have. I imagine they have quite a lot more, including a vast amount of detail from her autopsy that has not been made public.

Again, i took that window to be a rough estimate, not at all precise. "3-4 weeks" is not "Aug 22-29" in my reading, but perhaps that will come. As for the unauthorized use, that doesn't prove whether or not she was dead at that point.
From my understanding, the unauthorized use is the violation of the cardholder agreement with the bank, due to fraudulently using a deceased persons account. This is why they didn't go after him for theft of the van instead. The account use is bound by a specific agreement with the bank. Still not a bulletproof charge but I'm guessing it's just strategic to be able to arrest and hold. I agree though, this could be a challenging case to prosecute depending on the totality of evidence they have or don't have.

From my understanding, the unauthorized use is the violation of the cardholder agreement with the bank, due to fraudulently using a deceased persons account. This is why they didn't go after him for theft of the van instead. The account use is bound by a specific agreement with the bank. Still not a bulletproof charge but I'm guessing it's just strategic to be able to arrest and hold. I agree though, this could be a challenging case to prosecute depending on the totality of evidence they have or don't have.

there is nothing in the charging documents (that I've seen) regarding the cardholder being dead. Only unauthorized use. The point here is we are assuming she is dead by a date certain, and none of us have evidence to support that assumption

I spent way too long reading about supplies needed for this and the Pacific Crest Trail. It seems most hikers will either mail themselves new shoes (or broken in shoes they bought in advance and broke in before they left) as part of their resupply strategy, or will buy them on the route. But I imagine they need a few new pairs on their journey. In fall / winter / spring they would possibly want a spare pair so they don’t need to wear wet shoes. MOO
When I was thruhiking the AT, I used 4 pairs of boots. I was surprised, because I am easy on shoes. One pair of Merrell's only lasted 100 miles. Grrr... Some people could do the whole trail with one pair, but only if they were heavy duty. Some people on the AT hike in sneakers, but I've also seen many who've ruined their leg joints doing this.

On the AT, you can easily buy replacement of anything, including hiking boots, along the way. On the PCT, there are hardly any towns en route. It would be a major hitch hike and take all day. In the meantime, you could be a whole week's walk from a practical exit, and have your shoes die. With luck, you can get them shipped.

You wouldn't usually carry extra footwear, since they weigh so much, but you would carry extra socks. The socks would wick moisture from your feet. Except sometimes in summer, hikers would generally wear waterproof breathable boots.

Long distance hikers usually carry Crocs (or whatever). No problem if Crocs get wet, so you can tie them to the outside of your pack, they are comfy, they work for around the campfire, for in town, they're super light... This gives your boots a chance to air out.

That's assuming one believes her body is all the evidence they have. I imagine they have quite a lot more, including a vast amount of detail from her autopsy that has not been made public.
I am sure there is more evidence, but none that has been presented here. And, so, citing 8/30 as a date certain that she is deceased is unsubstantiated.

Since the park/reserve has been re-opened to the public, does that mean that LE has concluded their search of the area?

If so, I assume that means they will be following other leads in other locations, but I'm curious as to how open they will be about their efforts moving forward. I feel like everything has been so public up to this point because it was in such close proximity to the Laundries' home and reporters could easily move between the two locations. If LE is branching out, it is going to be harder for the media to really be on top of their movement. Considering how close LE has held their investigation, I don't see the public really getting much more information than what they already know at this point.

I was thinking over the weekend - since BL has been charged with credit card fraud, that means one of two things (or possibly both) have happened: 1) The story we heard early on about video capturing BL at a gas station in Benton was true and they have the video or 2) GP's card was in his wallet.

LE has been pretty good about clearing up any potential sightings or rumors that aren't true. However, nothing else has been said, that I have found at least, about the stop at the Benton gas station, which leads me to believe there is actual surveillance footage of him. His parents also said he left his wallet and phone at home the day he went on his hike. LE has the phone, so I assume they also have the wallet.

Has anyone else seen anything on this?

I'm curious about the large stone with a black spot on top of the orange paint. The holes in pic 3 look like bullet holes to the untrained eye but IMO they're something else but I have no idea what. I'd love your opinion.
View attachment 318025 View attachment 318026 View attachment 318027

Harrowing photos show trees and rocks around Gabby Petito's death site marked by FBI | Daily Mail Online
They looked like bullet holes to me, too. When I saw them, I thought I might have to change my opinion of strangulation being COD to gun shots...

there is nothing in the charging documents (that I've seen) regarding the cardholder being dead. Only unauthorized use. The point here is we are assuming she is dead by a date certain, and none of us have evidence to support that assumption
Even SB has admitted as much, “It is my understanding that the arrest warrant for Brian Laundrie is related to activities occurring after the death of Gabby Petito and not related to her actual demise,”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993