Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou @SouthAussie but no bone fragments confirmed yet, only a ring and dentures?
This search has shown that there is so much decomposition after 20 months, imagine how difficult the search will be to find William Tyrrell remains after 7 years? Especially in a location that appears to be "flood prone" in WT case.

Did RH wear dentures? For CC it appears no, but available images for RH show him with his mouth closed...
Not sure but I think so. I went through some of My photos and found one where he is smiling and I would say his teeth look too straight to be natural. This was taken in 2013 where the new concrete fire pit is now at the same camping spot in Wonnangatta

Attachments

• Russell and I at Wonnangatta 2013.jpg
    Russell and I at Wonnangatta 2013.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 125
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time posting.

This has also troubled me since the arrest. And also the fact that it appears Vic Roads may not have been notified of either colour change, as a rego check on the vehicle says it is still white. It's a very simple process to notify Vic Roads of a vehicle colour change - and the vehicle does not need to be inspected. Why would you not notify Vic Roads of a vehicle colour change... twice.

Red flags right there for me.

Welcome FMT38

Exactly. And more than once!

Our mate who camps down there a lot with a crowd of others said there are many great sites with a long drop toilet there so an argument wasn’t necessary.
He also said once a lone guy rolled up and joined the camp as they were packing up to leave. Everyone got bad vibes about him.
He said he thinks it was him from the photos.
They are always very particular how they pack, like methodically wiping the tent pegs etc before packing them away. His mate said he was going down to the creek for a wash and this weirdo wanted to go with him. He said he got halfway down towards the creek and ran back to get outta the place leaving the soap and towel there. The other mate had everything packed ready to go because this guy made them literally scared.

He’s always believed there was a serial killer there because of the amount of people go missing.
This just gets weirder by the minute. I would be interested as to what a professional profiler would make of him. A gut feeling goes a long way.

Not sure but I think so. I went through some of My photos and found one where he is smiling and I would say his teeth look too straight to be natural. This was taken in 2013 where the new concrete fire pit is now at the same camping spot in Wonnangatta
It is so good to have you on this forum Mike. Your comments and pictures like this bring us all back to reality.

GL seems to have suddenly stolen 2 great people from the world.

Police search for missing campers over after remains found

Victorian Police say they have finished searching an area of bushland in relation to missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay.
The hunt, which saw officers uncover human remains earlier this week, was conducted north of Dargo, almost 400km east of Melbourne, but has now wrapped up.
"Victoria Police has now concluded the search in bushland north of Dargo," Victoria Police said in a statement.

Whenever the possibility of a SK in the High Country has been raised over the last few years, I'm afraid I have scoffed at the idea. Now it is looking frighteningly likely.
Maybe not limited to the VIC High Country too? If they get a link here they may look in SA and overseas too.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though..

"Highly unusual" best describes many things about GL that have been coming out since the arrest.

Especially comments from people who know things about him who are verified insiders...

Will at least Russell or Carol be identified faster now that dentures have been found ?

Are there any markings on dentures that leads to identifying someone.

Dentures are made to fit an individual mouth. Dentists take moulds of the mouth and dental technicians use those to make the dentures. I guess somewhere in that process individual records are retained which can allow/assist identification.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Maybe didn't go past initial training? Not sure how things would have been when he was of age, but this is what I see today:

Duration: 10 weeks and 6 days

In three action-packed months you’ll be introduced to military life and learn about Air Force values and attitudes. The major elements of the course include:

• Personal development and teamwork
  • Parade drill
  • Weapon handling and firing
  • Airfield defence
  • Fire fighting
  • Physical fitness
  • Air Force history, customs and traditions
Training

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe didn't go past initial training? Not sure how things would have been when he was of age, but this is what I see today:

Duration: 10 weeks and 6 days

In three action-packed months you’ll be introduced to military life and learn about Air Force values and attitudes. The major elements of the course include:

• Personal development and teamwork
  • Parade drill
  • Weapon handling and firing
  • Airfield defence
  • Fire fighting
  • Physical fitness
  • Air Force history, customs and traditions
Training

It’s hard to say how he got into the RAAF. The training above is normally for troops, not officers. If he’d joined as an officer he would have gone through Point Cook Academy. He was never on Pilot’s Course though, as he would have shown up on there as a starter, even if he failed the course.

It’s hard to say how he got into the RAAF. The training above is normally for troops, not officers. If he’d joined as an officer he would have gone through Point Cook Academy. He was never on Pilot’s Course though, as he would have shown up on there as a starter, even if he failed the course.

Thanks.

Assuming that the media hasn't got it wrong (risky assumption!) then I wonder if he may have invented the RAAF bit to puff up his CV?

Thanks.

Assuming that the media hasn't got it wrong (risky assumption!) then I wonder if he may have invented the RAAF bit to puff up his CV?
It’s quite possible he joined the RAAF in some capacity, however . . . My old man has many a tale from the cockpit where guys have stated they were on such and such a pilot’s course and it turns out that ahem, it was stretching things quite a bit lol. Always a risk in that environment.

A
Hi Arboreal,

Great minds think alike! I've just been procrastinating about studying and did a timeline myself :) It's a great way to sort out the details.

I have been along for the ride whilst all the discussion around the Myrtelford gate and phone coverage etc however didn't think there was a location pinpointed for the gate? I'm thinking it was the first switchback just past the Myrtelford Turn-off Camp Ground? Do you have confirmation of a location?

Regarding phone coverage, as much as the coverage maps indicate coverage, there are large areas in there that don't have coverage (as indicated in the Under Investigation tv show) and also from local knowledge, much of the landscape has you in a coverage shadow in the mountains, hence why there aren't a lot of pings away from the Dargo High Plains Rd.

Your timeline is great, although there are a couple of points for discussion.

How did you come to 2.5hrs on the Zeka Spur Track, I think from Motomike? My timelines on the drives are different to yours and solely based on Google, which no doubt don't take into account the difficulty although are normally pretty good up here in the mountains. Have you other sources for these?

The timing of the drone - where did the 4.30pm time frame come from? I hadn't heard timing, just "evening" and presumed it was later.

Rileys Track - depending on where the Myrtleford Gate is (I'm sorry I've looked on here for mention of it but can't find it), Rileys Track may be inacessible.

The camera that took his photo I thought was on the Great Alpine Road west of the Dargo High Plains / Great Alpine Road intersection and well away from McMillans Rd, however I could be wrong! Perhaps Brumby Jack could help here as he was talking about the location (again sorry but I couldn't find it on the very lengthy threads). If it is where I thought then his timeline would be earlier than you have suggested.

I agree regarding the timeframe for when the altercation took place, if sunset was 7:24pm and they still had boots on (Under Investigation) it was likely before bedtime. His car was also seen at the camp site that night (to pack up the bodies?)

What intrigues me though is what is not reported.. no reports of gun shots (could be a crossbow - often used for deer hunting), no screams or sounds of an altercation, no report of the fire (considering we'd just had the worst fires in living memory for some parts and we were all a bit toey about fire thats a bit weird, maybe before sunset? Which would bring the whole thing forward).

And.... why the credit cards, debit cards and cash missing and the wallet contents loose in the floor well of the locked car?

And no witnesses hearing an altercation… I thought we had other campers in the vicinity..?

I think this was only 1 month after the disappearance so some of the opinions of the police may not be well founded at that time. It would be inconsistent of Russell to go fly his drone, then talk to us on the radio up to 18:40 and then set up camp. I signed out at 18:30 but Russell and another member stayed discussing the route out to Dargo and possible camping spots on the way. He didnt seem to be in hurry to go and do anything before dark. I listened as I was interested myself for future trips. I would suggest that Russell would have set up at least the basics (tent, sleeping arrangements, cooking arrangements) prior to flying his drone and talking to us. I don't remember him saying that he still had to set up camp during out radio contact. I also dont remember if he said he had eaten already. He may have some minor setting up to do like the porta loo tent etc. He never used one when I had camped with him so I assume it was for Carol's benefit. At this point we didn't know Carol Clay was with him. He never mentioned her over the radio on any of his "solo" camping trips.

Thank you for clarifying, motomike.

I might be wrong, but I think I read that his wife sometimes tuned in while he was away, to hear if he was ok.. Maybe that’s why he didn’t mention CC.

Just revisiting the business of the Nissan Patrol being resprayed, it seems he was pretty wedded to that vehicle as, by his description, it was a "s--tbox":

A registration check on the VicRoads website has the beige car registered as a 1997 White Nissan.

In 2014, a google image search of Mr Lynn's address showed a white car in his driveway.

In 2019, it was blue and this year it's beige.

Mr Lynn's neighbour John Vella noticed his car had been re-painted.

"It was very, very badly faded ... and parts of the body had surface rust on them," Mr Vella told A Current Affair.

While he said he couldn't tell "off-hand" exactly when it changed, he believes it could be "well over 12 months ago".

He said he didn't think it was odd because it was in bad condition.

"I thought if he didn't do something about it, the car would be taken off the road, that's how bad the condition was," Mr Vella said.

It's still unclear where the trailer in the CCTV image of the car police had been looking for now is.

Up until his arrest, Mr Lynn's Facebook profile suggests he had been enjoying trips and family time over the past 20 months.

In July last year he posted pictures drinking wine in the city and just before Christmas he posted pictures with family at a winery with the words "whether arriving by helicopter or s--tbox Nissan Patrol lunch was awesome".

Fresh insights into man arrested over missing Victoria campers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members