Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wellington Arch, from there to Windsor, to be laid to rest with her dear husband.
It was an incredibly moving service. Unforgettable.

I'm glad I stayed up to watch it live. It's nearly 6 am here....may sleep a couple of hours if I can.

View attachment 367182
I also watched live last night / early morning (I'm in California). I went to my daughters house. I'm glad I stayed up to watch but like you, I think a nap is in order today!

I was tied up with work this week and regretting not getting myself to London...i'm 40 mins away

so we will go for the coronation

Have been to London for royal events on many occasions so will plan a day watching our king become king! My daughter met our king a few months ago, quite by chance, he was chatting away to her but she was starstruck i think (she's 24!!)

Absolutely beautiful send off.

I sense a bit of friction between Kate & Sofie, there are two pics one Sofie giving Charlotte a glare that Kate is not happy about. The other is in the abbey and Sofie is giving a glare at Kate.

Jmo

From all accounts Sophie and Kate get on extremely well. In my opinion the glare was directed towards someone who has shown extreme disloyalty towards the Royal family.

I'm in NYC and set the DVR last night from 3 AM until 11 AM, NYC time.

I've been busy this morning so will sit down to watch now, (1:11 pm EST), but I'm relieved that I haven't heard of anything going wrong with all the crowned heads, presidents and other dignitaries, some of whom despise each other.

Personally I most admire Isaac Herzog, the President of Israel, because he was surrounded by enemies who'd like him dead, and the Emperor of Japan, because MSM said it's considered a bad omen in Japanese culture to attend a funeral, but he went anyway.

As an American I'm glad Biden was able to go in the secure presidential limo, but if I were from another country I imagine I'd be peeved that my president or prime minister or King was relegated to the buses. I do grasp though that communal buses were required to have enough security personnel shepherding them all.

Off to watch the whole thing. I'll have tea, and I know I'll cry when the crown is removed from the coffin and the stick is broken.

ETA: I also give extra applause to the First Lady of Ukraine. I know President Zelenskyy won't leave Ukraine during the war, and I admire her strength.

Last edited:
"Touching tributes that topped the Queen's coffin:

from the King's note 'in loving and devoted memory' to myrtle grown from Her Majesty's wedding bouquet.

The wreath which adorned the Queen's coffin today included flowers requested by
King Charles.

The flowers were cut from the gardens of Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Highgrove House.

They include rosemary, for remembrance
and myrtle, which is often seen as a symbol of a happy marriage."

Last edited:
"Finally at rest:

Reunited with her 'strength and stay', historic moment Queen's coffin is lowered into St George's Chapel vault ready to lie beside her beloved Philip and parents - as funeral celebrating a life of unrivalled service draws to end."

This is really a historic photo:

This is Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako of Japan with King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Queen Jetsun Pema of Bhutan behind them.

The Emperor never attends funerals because it is considered bad luck, but he made an exception for the late Queen Elizabeth II.

1663609210878.png

Oh my goodness. Princess Charlotte seems so much like her late great-grandmother, and her father:

1663609676840.png

Last edited:
Lilibet and Daisy

At age 82, the Danish queen, a distant cousin of the late Queen Elizabeth II, has spent 50 years on the throne and is now the only queen among the world's royalty, and the oldest monarch

In the wake of Elizabeth's death, Margrethe shared a message of condolence with King Charles III, writing,"Your mother was very important to me and my family. She was a towering figure among the European monarchs and a great inspiration to us all. We shall miss her terribly."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20220919/de...ince-frederik-at-queen-elizabeth-iis-funeral/

I thought I glimpsed Sarah Ferguson sitting somewhere behind the Wales /Cornwall/Cambridge family in Westminster Cathedral. She wasn't sitting with Prince Andrew or with her daughters.

Did anyone else think they saw her, too?

I thought I glimpsed Sarah Ferguson sitting somewhere behind the Wales /Cornwall/Cambridge family in Westminster Cathedral. She wasn't sitting with Prince Andrew or with her daughters.

Did anyone else think they saw her, too?
Yes, she arrived with her daughters. Apparently she still spent time with the Queen and issued a heartfelt statement last week. I wouldn’t be surprised if she and Andrew quietly remarry, one day.

I didn't know until recently they still share the same home (Royal Lodge in Windsor)

She never moved out after the divorce. They wanted to co-parent and if Fergie didn’t live with Andrew, she’d have nowhere else to go.

Her parents are deceased and I believe she has one sister down under.

I do hope they get to keep Royal Lodge, even though many people don’t like Andrew, he is the brother of the King and has been there for many years.

It's tradition. That carriage has carried every monarch who has passed from Queen Victoria onwards.
Yes, I know. Tradition is a wonderful thing.

But, I still wish they carried her coffin on something nicer. ;)

Yes, I know. Tradition is a wonderful thing.

But, I still wish they carried her coffin on something nicer. ;)

I was fascinated looking at all the swarthy British Navvies tied together to tow the caisson and coffin. Said to weight two tons, in all.

It's was like looking at a painting out of the 1700's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname