CANADA Canada - Susan Tice, 45, & Erin Gilmour, 22, Toronto, Aug & Dec 1983

''Det. Sgt. Stephen Smith, who heads the Toronto Police’s Cold Case and Missing Persons division, says he and his team identified one family unit of interest, which encompasses all male relatives, including first cousins, brothers, fathers and sons.''

'It's someone from a small town in Canada'​

Remaining tight-lipped about specifics, Smith said the suspect is a man from a "small town in Canada" and that he was in Toronto at the time of the murders.

He revealed that the killer is part of a "very large" family unit.

A number of those family members were also living in or visiting Toronto at the time of the murders.

"We do believe that at least a number of members of the family are still alive and living in small towns throughout Canada," Smith said.

The news conference is set to get underway at Toronto police headquarters at 10 AM.

You can watch it live on CTVNewsToronto.ca and on our app.''

Homicide and Missing Persons Unit
Published: Monday, November 28, 2022, 5:00 AM​

On Monday, November 28, 2022, at 10:00 a.m., Toronto Police Chief James Ramer will be joined by Deputy Chief Pauline Gray, Specialized Operations Command, and Detective Sergeant Steve Smith, Homicide and Missing Persons Unit Cold Case section, to provide an update on cold case homicides #28/1983, Susan Tice, 45, and #48/1983, Erin Gilmour, 22.

The news conference will take place in the Media Gallery of Toronto Police Headquarters, 40 College Street, and will be live-streamed on YouTube.

Toronto Police homicide detectives have arrested a suspect in the shocking 1983 murders of career girl Erin Gilmour and single mother Susan Tice.

Cops are expected to make the announcement at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference at police headquarters, The Toronto Sun has learned.

The suspect is expected to be named at the news conference.

Thank you to all of you for your important news updates and posts they are much appreciated. It is great that the alleged perpetrator is still alive and that they have finally been arrested after all this time. The alleged murderer possibly foolishly believed they would get away with Erin and Susan’s murders and may have wrongly thought if they were going to be arrested it would have happened some time ago. All the investigators, Criminal Genealogists, DNA Analysts and everyone involved in trying to find the accused deserve praise for their dedication and hard work. I hope all the monsters out there who have committed evil crimes in the past but have unfortunately not yet been arrested see news like this about an arrest being made after 39 years and live in fear that they too will be arrested in the future.

It must be a very emotional and difficult time for Erin and Susan’s loved ones. Erin and Susan and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.

Toronto Police Service Uses Othram’s Genetic Testing Platform to Solve the 1983 Murders of Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour

Joseph George Sutherland, 61, of Moosonee, has been arrested for the 1983 assaults and murders of Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour

Toronto Police Service Uses Othram’s Genetic Testing Platform to Solve the 1983 Murders of Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour

Joseph George Sutherland, 61, of Moosonee, has been arrested for the 1983 assaults and murders of Susan Tice and Erin Gilmour

Thank you, Othram, for your role in solving these murders. Your technology has proven itself once again. Justice will be served for victims and their families and friends in many of these unsolved cases. These cases in particular could be the beginning of closure in other Ontario murders and possibly beyond, IMO. Thank you to all LE who persisted and pursued answers. Peace to all in Susan Tice's and Erin Gilmour's circles. Thank you for your determination not to let your loved ones be forgotten. You may have helped so many other families as other cases come to light.

Moosonee is the OPP's most northern detachment where Sutherland lived. The OPP arrested Sutherland on behalf of the Toronto Police Services. Thank you to the unwavering dedication of the TSP to finding the killer of Erin and Susan. Once again Parabon Labs and Othram did their magic.

1669650186392.png
''Joseph George Sutherland, 61, of Moosonee, was arrested on Thursday. (Supplied)

“We were able to use investigative genetic genealogy to narrow down a suspect family, and from there we were able to narrow down a suspect, who is obviously under arrest today."

Smith said that because Sutherland has been living in Ontario for 39 years since the murders, investigators are going to look into “every possible connection” to any other cold case throughout the province''

View attachment 383214
''Joseph George Sutherland, 61, of Moosonee, was arrested on Thursday. (Supplied)

“We were able to use investigative genetic genealogy to narrow down a suspect family, and from there we were able to narrow down a suspect, who is obviously under arrest today."

Smith said that because Sutherland has been living in Ontario for 39 years since the murders, investigators are going to look into “every possible connection” to any other cold case throughout the province''
He attended Humber College, according to his FB page.

Thank you to all of you for your important news updates and posts they are much appreciated. It is great that the alleged perpetrator is still alive and that they have finally been arrested after all this time. The alleged murderer possibly foolishly believed they would get away with Erin and Susan’s murders and may have wrongly thought if they were going to be arrested it would have happened some time ago. All the investigators, Criminal Genealogists, DNA Analysts and everyone involved in trying to find the accused deserve praise for their dedication and hard work. I hope all the monsters out there who have committed evil crimes in the past but have unfortunately not yet been arrested see news like this about an arrest being made after 39 years and live in fear that they too will be arrested in the future.

It must be a very emotional and difficult time for Erin and Susan’s loved ones. Erin and Susan and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.

@gregjrichards you said it better than I could. Totally agree. My condolences to the families.

Glad they were able to catch him. Must admit I thought there was a real possibility the perpetrator was dead given how much time had passed.

View attachment 383214

So glad to hear of this arrest.
Statistically, what are the odds that these 2 women were the only two?

Wondering where the accused worked as a security guard, or could he possibly have been a bouncer in a club, since the women did not know one another but apparently may have attended the same venue?
I'll add to that.

Construction was going on outside Erin's apartment from TV footage at the time. There was a dumpster outside her door.

He could have been a security guard for a construction company or one of the Hazelton shops. Single women living alone might answer to door to someone in uniform.

Maybe he worked responding to calls for an alarm company. I think the uniform might have been his ruse. He might have attacked Erin so quickly because he was on duty when he murdered her.

Toronto Star headline on May 15, 2022:

Killers ‘don’t just stop after two’: DNA proves one man killed these Toronto women. Does it say where he went?​

Hopefully we'll know more soon. Perhaps other investigations stemming from this one are further along than we know. The accused had the opportunity to turn himself in and help resolve these two cases. He didn't. If he was involved in any others, it'll catch up to him now.

Moosonee is not easily accessible. I don't know how long Joseph Sanderson lived there, but it seems the kind of outdoorsy place where fishing and hunting would mean owning rifles and knives. I do hope police look for a pair of old Dakota or Wind River work boots, size 10 or 11, sold in Marks stores circa 2010.

Moosonee is not easily accessible. I don't know how long Joseph Sanderson lived there, but it seems the kind of outdoorsy place where fishing and hunting would mean owning rifles and knives. I do hope police look for a pair of old Dakota or Wind River work boots, size 10 or 11, sold in Marks stores circa 2010.
*Sutherland*.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal
Back