2011.01.14 Hearing: Jury Selection Expected To Be Main Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end, after the audio was off, both sides were milling around, they headed towards the side doors where KC usually comes out, then someone pointed the other way. It looked like they were headed out of the courtroom. Right outside the courtroom is a big confernece room - I bet that is where they were headed. If it was a conference with HHJP, it would have been in his chambers right? Or would he meet them in a conference room because there would be so many people there? The side bars and the maybe conference at the end have me itchy and antsy about what exactly is going on. I do think, and it really upsets me to even say it, that the State caved in about the sanctions!

Yes, definitely going through the motions. I didn't see it, but it didn't feel like the normal, more vigorous hearings I'm used to. Both sides were chummy with each other and laughing. Usually the prosecution is mighty po'ed with the defense. Baez hardly said anything, and was twirling his pen like he was taking Casey's place today. Maybe I expected more out of this hearing, but after the heat of the last hearing, it's like water was thrown on the fire and now it's out. I don't get that at all. How do we go from tension and anger in one hearing to martini hour in the next if this isn't about a plea? That's what bothers me.

But I can't imagine ICA agreeing to tell the truth to get a plea, so I am all confused and worried here.

It's hard to believe that Casey would ever cop a plea but I guess stranger things have happened. I wonder if the state would accept a plea and is that justice for Caylee? I know the Florida taxpayers would be happy but is it all about the money? If they death penalty was not an option things would be much easier and cheaper. LWOP for ICA is still justice for Caylee, I think.

My fear is that she would get something like 15 years, less time served and good behavior, out in 7 or less.

If there's not a plea in the works and this goes to trial, it's my opinion that the jury will not warm up to the defense table at all. One would think they'd make sure to have someone likable at their table.

I think all the weirdness was just about the sanctions, nothing more nothing less....I don't think for a minute that the State would be willing to take the death penalty off the table, and I know that KC would not be willing to admit she killed her daughter, so I don't think this has a thing to do with a deal.

I agree, nor do I think Casey would accept LWOP and admit guilt .. they are setting up every objection with one eye on appeals. It's going to go on and on even after trial IMO.

ICA's 'defiance' will be her undoing ... it won't work this time but I am conflicted on whether she will remain stubborn until the bitter end ... probably. ICA needs the control even if it means her own demise.

You and solance are more than likely correct, she will never admit anything, she'll take it as far as she has to.

Maybe CM has opted to represent the new child murderer because he knows his calendar will be empty in May?

Wow! Good thought. I have a theory that the ME went back and redid some soil comparisons and the soil at her gravesite matched the soil in her skull and we have a smoking gum courtesy of Dr Spitz. The timing works.
The good faith reason Mason pleads re Baez's sanctions could have been a 'cmon guys he's learned and this one is over. Explains CA not showing up too. Certainly she cares about the case and not just staring at the back of KC's unimaginably beautiful head. :) But if she knows anything about a plea, she'd be in hiding IMO.
I like the possibilities!!

I want this to go to trial. I lean towards this not happening because of the work not done by JB and because I sometimes think(esp how she does not come to every hearing)that Casey will not sit in trial and let people talk about her around her like that.

More and more I am beginning to feel we have a "hallway at Universal" moment getting ready to happen. Others have said this, I listen to what everyone has to say(and now I feel it for myself) but what I don't know is if it is possible. Meaning is that something she is allowed to do?

I am still unclear as to anything about the SA's side of that issue. I can see what I think JB/Casey might do but they(the State) are being professional and so I don't know the ins and outs of that: crazy, now that I know from and can speculate... :)

Maybe they're just going to talk about whether they need more status hearings . . .
:yawns:

I think the secret meeting is they are setting schedule for status hearings as the judge had asked for. JP had suggested every Friday -- and I liked that, but I think we will see every other week.

If it is not uploaded, TWA and I will get you all the InSessions broadcast later today.

At the end, after the audio was off, both sides were milling around, they headed towards the side doors where KC usually comes out, then someone pointed the other way. It looked like they were headed out of the courtroom. Right outside the courtroom is a big confernece room - I bet that is where they were headed. If it was a conference with HHJP, it would have been in his chambers right? Or would he meet them in a conference room because there would be so many people there? The side bars and the maybe conference at the end have me itchy and antsy about what exactly is going on. I do think, and it really upsets me to even say it, that the State caved in about the sanctions!

if the State did cave in then it says to me that they also share the blame for the blatent disrespect in these courtrooms. Orders disregarded, insults flung, making a mockery of a Judge's orders and attempts to keep order. This is sad to see. A court of law used to be important, now it seems like the very people who swear to obey the court rules are the first to make a joke of them. with this much disrespect now, can you imagine what a joke the trial itself could turn into?

Here are my notes from today's hearing:

*Jury selection, day 1 will be different, 40 jurors to start at 8:30 or 8:45am, both sides must agree on a "Statement of Case" to be presented to potential jurors. This statement to encompass some of the facts, after preliminary reading of indictment, jurors will be segregated in another court room in groups of 10, will be brought in 1 at a time and asked about hardship, pre-trial publicity, death qualification and then lawyers can ask any question permitted by law. Will seat 12 jurors and unknown amount of alternates. They will be sworn in immediately. Days 2-4 will have 30 jurors brought in until a jury is selected.

HHJP gave atty's a list of TV channels to be approved by both sides, no news, nothing with news tickers are on the list. Both sides have until 4/1/2011 to respond. List of DVD's will also be provided to atty's for approval. TV's are specially programmed.

LDB & JB both requested 30 days notice, HHJP reminded both sides there will be a gag order, and he will probably provide 2 weeks notice. HHJP says jurors are not deaf & dumb, to be evaluated by abilities, 30 days is too long. JB said he might have objections to pre-trial publicity.

HHJP stated that the state will spend $350,000.00 for 8 weeks of trial to pay for jury meals, housing, security, laundry, having dentists & doctors on standby and 24/7 by security by the Sherriff. HHJP says it's almost like summer camp.

Court Administrator will meet with media, media station heads will sign off on confidentiality and also be given notice. HHJP warns that to secure lower costs, contracts to block rooms have been made and non-refundable deposits have been paid already. Each side may have a representative at the meeting.

One atty for each side will be allowed to speak to a potential juror during death qualification, that same atty must object or address the court.

JA would prefer no questionnaires for jurors as they change their answers. HHJP says jurors will be referred to by their numbers not name.

ICA will be transported to location either Saturday or Sunday before May 9, 2011.

*Depositions - Law Enforcement & Ordinary witnesses:

JB - not all completed yet, 7 or 8 no-shows to be completed by 2/18/2011 per HHJP.

LDB - TES witnesses next week.

JB - State to still be deposed by defense:

Ron Adams - prison
Helen Davis - TES Texas
Maya Derkovic
Det. Eric Edwards
Sylvia Hernandez
Amy Huizenga
Ricardo Morales
Rick Plesea
Anthony Rusciano
LE mentioned earlier

JB - Starts whining about witnesses listed after deadline by State, LDB explains these witnesses came to light after internal affairs investigation of Sylvia Hernandez.

LDB says all depositions completed except new TES and the remaining experts.

JA - 2 defense experts are scheduled, waiting for the expert info. Furton is next week.

HHJP - Re-emphasizing that a lot of planning is needed for the out of town jury. Lunch will be from Noon-1:30, unless things move slow, then will be reduced to 1 hour, so pack a lunch.

HHJP requests sidebar with court reporter (JA says your so damn funny to CM during this)

HHJP - Anything else....... No one responds.

HHJP - 2 weeks notice for location of jury selection, asks if there are any objections to media groups being notified, make it known. Court adjourns.

If KC gets a plea and the State accepts anything other than LWOP, I'm going to P'd off!

I agree, nor do I think Casey would accept LWOP and admit guilt .. they are setting up every objection with one eye on appeals. It's going to go on and on even after trial IMO.

I don't know about you but I highly resent these plea deals, it smacks of laziness to me- if there is a case to be prosecuted just do it, don't offer an escape clause and a lesser sentence so as to be done with it..

:sick:

If Casey realizes the "truth" is about to come out(anyway). Maybe she has chosen the lesser of two evils by taking a plea and not having to have that all come out in court. Would part of any plea be that Casey would have to stand in public and state what she has done? TIA.

So..I would imagine it's past the point of no return..with hotels booked already there is too much invested in a trial to just cop a plea....IT'S ON!

I agree. I thought Judge Perry said he already put down a non refundable deposit. It's on.

Yes, definitely going through the motions. I didn't see it, but it didn't feel like the normal, more vigorous hearings I'm used to. Both sides were chummy with each other and laughing. Usually the prosecution is might po'ed with the defense. Baez hardly said anything, and was twirling his pen like he was taking Casey's place today. Maybe I expected more out of this hearing, but after the heat of the last hearing, it's like water was thrown on the fire and now it's out. I don't get that at all. How do we go from tension and anger in one hearing to martini hour in the next if this isn't about a plea? That's what bothers me.

But I can't imagine ICA agreeing to tell the truth to get a plea, so I am all confused and worried here.

Before the hearing started there was an opening shot of Mason and Baez sitting in the front row of seats. The camera was front on and Mason was sitting back lounging without a care in the world and Baez was sitting with a hand on each leg and his legs were bouncing up and down, his brow was furrowed and he looked scared witless. Baez did not have even a suggestion of a smirk and in fact had an expression on his face we are coming to know quite well after the last 3 hearings. Baez looks like he is floundering and completely out of his depth. That's what I saw - only wish I could have taken a screen cap, maybe some enterprising soul out there took one?

When I think of the beautiful Caylee, horribly murdered and discarded, allegedly by her own mother, I find it offensive to see all the shucking, jiving, and laughter in the courtroom. JMHO. Blessings Caylee

You and solance are more than likely correct, she will never admit anything, she'll take it as far as she has to.

If ICA plea deals (even if it is a plea without an admission) she is history, forgotten, JACK (just another child killer).

If ICA stays the course she forever claims her innocence, her 'persecution', and will be one of the criminals interviewed on TV to discuss how they are wrongly convicted every 5 years.

ICA will have the ultimate control, to be a martyr and CA wants ICA to do that since that is what CA would do. Protect the family at all costs.

Every year CA will trot out a diatribe of all of the reasons why ICA is innocent and there is no proof, no proof. Nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann