2011.01.14 Hearing: Jury Selection Expected To Be Main Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shocked to learn that 90% of all cases are settled by plea bargain in the US. Evidently it is something that sets us apart from the rest of the free world and Europe has criticized us for it saying it cannot be fair and impartial.

Which means 90% of victims do not get proper justice. :(

They better not do a plea deal. I really really really will be disappointed if I don't get to see ICA have to listen to all the evidence and witnesses. I will be really really upset.

Trying to recall what HHJP said about the deadline for getting a refund on the deposit. Could this have been a way of saying, "If you are planning to go another route, I need to know before then." ?

Quoting myself to say I went back and listened to what HHJBP said about deposits. He never mentioned a deadline for deposit refund. Don't know where I thought I heard that...hearing voices...:crazy:

I was shocked to learn that 90% of all cases are settled by plea bargain in the US. Evidently it is something that sets us apart from the rest of the free world and Europe has criticized us for it saying it cannot be fair and impartial.

If that's true I am horrified. Expediency does not equal Justice.

I don't see anything weird about this hearing at all. I do see Perry going into detail about what will be needed for the jurors. That does not sound to me like he is aware of a plea. I just think it is wishful thinking on the part of some. Sorry.

This is what steams me!!!!
The Judge is not enforcing his own deadlines on the Defense.

The deadline for the Defense to take depositions of LE was Sept 30, 2010 - moved to Oct 31, 2010.

The deadline for the Defense to take depositions of late filed (after May 24, 2010) of State witnesses was December 31, 2010. Both sides were due to give the Judge a list of "ordinary witnesses" (not LE or Expert) who were late filed, by October 18, 2010 - the Defense never gave the list.

The deadline for the Defense to add new TES witnesses to the Defense Witness List was December 31, 2010 (the Defense still has NOT listed the TES searchers who the State is taking depositions of).

The State has a deadline of March 30, 2011, to finish depositions of the new Defense TES witnesses.

The Defense had a deadline to list penalty phase witnesses of November 30, 2010 ( I think Finnell met this deadline).

I'm with you!! I wish HHJBP would just roll in on Baez like a bad day and squash him like a gnat, but I guess that just ain't gonna happen. Too bad, but feel a little bit sad today.

JB offered NO "good cause" for not meeting the deadline to take the deposition of these remaining State witnesses. The Deadline was Oct 31, 2010 for Law Enforcement. The Deadline for Defense to take depositions of all other witnesses (not LE or Expert) was Oct 31, 2010 ... and Dec 31, 2010 for "late filed witnesses".

Robyn Adams - prison in Tallahassee
Helen Davis - TES Texas - do depo via Skype
Maya Derkovic - prison in Broward county, FL
Det. Eric Edwards - did half of depo - he had ongoing investigation - need to finish
Sylvia Hernandez - outside of central FL - will require driving to do depo
Amy Huizenga - on cruise ship in Caribbean - working with atty Kirkconnell to arrange her statement or deposition
Ricardo Morales - out of state - do depo via Skype
Rick Plesea - in South Carolina - do depo via Skype
Anthony Rusciano - out of state - do depo via Skype
LE mentioned earlier (7-8 LE personnel) - new deadline set today - LE depos to be completed by Feb 18, 2011

I don't see anything weird about this hearing at all. I do see Perry going into detail about what will be needed for the jurors. That does not sound to me like he is aware of a plea. I just think it is wishful thinking on the part of some. Sorry.
IMO, even if a judge knew a plea was in the works, he or she would continue on "acting as if" the trial was going to happen, because until the defendant actually agrees to the plea, the trial date still looms.

Before the hearing started there was an opening shot of Mason and Baez sitting in the front row of seats. The camera was front on and Mason was sitting back lounging without a care in the world and Baez was sitting with a hand on each leg and his legs were bouncing up and down, his brow was furrowed and he looked scared witless. Baez did not have even a suggestion of a smirk and in fact had an expression on his face we are coming to know quite well after the last 3 hearings. Baez looks like he is floundering and completely out of his depth. That's what I saw - only wish I could have taken a screen cap, maybe some enterprising soul out there took one?

I didn't get that shot but I got one soon after. Here is direct link to todays screen shots.
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/LifeCoachOnTheCouch/Jan32011 Hearing/Jan 14 2011 hearing/

IMO, even if a judge knew a plea was in the works, he or she would continue on "acting as if" the trial was going to happen, because until the defendant actually agrees to the plea, the trial date still looms.

You are right.

Why shouldn't the world produce narcissists and sociopaths? Obviously, for some there are no consequences.

What would make them want to do what is expected?

This line of reasoning(reason?)makes me think ICA will not take any plea(if there was one)because she truly does not believe there will be any consequences for her. She does not believe she did anything wrong in the first place. Watching a video posted by TWA today, I saw Casey crying as AL described to the court how Casey must feel with the DP over her head. Casey does see herself as a victim.

When I think that way, I go back to thinking the trial will be on. But, how-how can JB and CM get the work done that needs to be done for the trial to be on time? If the judge already has the rooms rented: and as I write that I can see how that is a message. "I've got the rooms, so..." but why do things this way?

Is the court room a show? Cause, that's what I am left feeling: like reality tv: not reality but actuality.

I have always said: right, not reality. What is actuality? A technicality, imo and you can have it. Nothing about ICA, her family or this case has been real. Only Caylee is real. She is gone and she is the most real person in this case.

:twocents:

This is what steams me!!!!
The Judge is not enforcing his own deadlines on the Defense.

The deadline for the Defense to take depositions of LE was Sept 30, 2010 - moved to Oct 31, 2010.

The deadline for the Defense to take depositions of late filed (after May 24, 2010) of State witnesses was December 31, 2010. Both sides were due to give the Judge a list of "ordinary witnesses" (not LE or Expert) who were late filed, by October 18, 2010 - the Defense never gave the list.

The deadline for the Defense to add new TES witnesses to the Defense Witness List was December 31, 2010 (the Defense still has NOT listed the TES searchers who the State is taking depositions of).

The State has a deadline of March 30, 2011, to finish depositions of the new Defense TES witnesses.

The Defense had a deadline to list penalty phase witnesses of November 30, 2010 ( I think Finnell met this deadline).

Some project managers (like me) set overly aggressive deadlines with the expectation that they will slip a few times but you keep your eye on the finish line.

HHJP has set a tone all along that he means business and I think IMO today's hearing was as much about -- focus -- as anything else. He is resetting the tone that despite the current motions, sanctions and, hoopla ... hotel rooms have been booked.

I find that team members procrastinate and while you can cut them a break on 'softer' deadlines you reiterate and reinforce that we are going to deliver on time and we will work extra hours if needed. Usually people come through if you keep them focused and stand firm on the end date.

Hearing summary?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6010882&postcount=431"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2011.01.14 Hearing: Jury Selection Expected To Be Main Topic[/ame]

I will be watching for a decision from JBP to reverse the sanctions and the lift the contempt charge from JB in the next couple of days, I would think that if it has been worked out between the 2 sides the JBP would have to have it on record, that is what all the hush hush talk and sidebars were about today IMO.

You might be right, but Monday is the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, I'm sure the courts get off for that. So if you're right, we won't hear anything until Tuesday, unless something is filed before 5pm today.

I just don't know if lunch in May should have come across as so important. As a citizen following their first case, I have to wonder what the ritual display I witnessed to day meant. I have to wonder, because like everything else in the adult world: the truth is elusive because the words and actions of both sides use veils.

Either I saw lunch being used as a ruse or I saw that when the system does something it does it systematically. Couldn't a memo or a email have gone out with instructions on lunch? I keep on hearing: tax payer money...just like you always hear with politics/D.C. style but again and again it seems it takes so long to get anything done because people are talkin' about lunch.

:twocents:
MY Dad is a court balliff. I think this is geared toward jury comfort mor than anything else. Dad says they do everything they can to make and keep the jury comfortable no matter what.

I hate the way JB says Eckyousearch. Isn't it pronounced Eckwuisearch? LOL Amy is still out to sea. I thought they set a date for her.

yes, I think your phoenics are correct - Eque as in Equestrian...Tim started it as a mounted S & R group

I thought the lunch chat was a little bit tounge in cheek HHJBP's way of saying 'don't expect to take a 2-hour lunch each day either, bring a sarnie.'

Here are my notes from today's hearing:

*Jury selection, day 1 will be different, 40 jurors to start at 8:30 or 8:45am, both sides must agree on a "Statement of Case" to be presented to potential jurors. This statement to encompass some of the facts, after preliminary reading of indictment, jurors will be segregated in another court room in groups of 10, will be brought in 1 at a time and asked about hardship, pre-trial publicity, death qualification and then lawyers can ask any question permitted by law. Will seat 12 jurors and unknown amount of alternates. They will be sworn in immediately. Days 2-4 will have 30 jurors brought in until a jury is selected.

HHJP gave atty's a list of TV channels to be approved by both sides, no news, nothing with news tickers are on the list. Both sides have until 4/1/2011 to respond. List of DVD's will also be provided to atty's for approval. TV's are specially programmed.

LDB & JB both requested 30 days notice, HHJP reminded both sides there will be a gag order, and he will probably provide 2 weeks notice. HHJP says jurors are not deaf & dumb, to be evaluated by abilities, 30 days is too long. JB said he might have objections to pre-trial publicity.

HHJP stated that the state will spend $350,000.00 for 8 weeks of trial to pay for jury meals, housing, security, laundry, having dentists & doctors on standby and 24/7 by security by the Sherriff. HHJP says it's almost like summer camp.

Court Administrator will meet with media, media station heads will sign off on confidentiality and also be given notice. HHJP warns that to secure lower costs, contracts to block rooms have been made and non-refundable deposits have been paid already. Each side may have a representative at the meeting.

One atty for each side will be allowed to speak to a potential juror during death qualification, that same atty must object or address the court.

JA would prefer no questionnaires for jurors as they change their answers. HHJP says jurors will be referred to by their numbers not name.

ICA will be transported to location either Saturday or Sunday before May 9, 2011.

*Depositions - Law Enforcement & Ordinary witnesses:

JB - not all completed yet, 7 or 8 no-shows to be completed by 2/18/2011 per HHJP.

LDB - TES witnesses next week.

JB - State to still be deposed by defense:

Ron Adams - prison
Helen Davis - TES Texas
Maya Derkovic
Det. Eric Edwards
Sylvia Hernandez
Amy Huizenga
Ricardo Morales
Rick Plesea
Anthony Rusciano
LE mentioned earlier

JB - Starts whining about witnesses listed after deadline by State, LDB explains these witnesses came to light after internal affairs investigation of Sylvia Hernandez.

LDB says all depositions completed except new TES and the remaining experts.

JA - 2 defense experts are scheduled, waiting for the expert info. Furton is next week.

HHJP - Re-emphasizing that a lot of planning is needed for the out of town jury. Lunch will be from Noon-1:30, unless things move slow, then will be reduced to 1 hour, so pack a lunch.

HHJP requests sidebar with court reporter (JA says your so damn funny to CM during this)

HHJP - Anything else....... No one responds.

HHJP - 2 weeks notice for location of jury selection, asks if there are any objections to media groups being notified, make it known. Court adjourns.

BUMPING our excellent notekeeper's notes for Bond and late comers!

Also from Nums:
WFTV Raw Video of Hearing

Part 1 of 2: http://www.wftv.com/video/26497200/index.html

Part 2 of 2: http://www.wftv.com/video/26497700/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics