LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this in the our local news and it reminded me a lot of this case. In the NC incident, the guy hit her back tire at an intersection and then put her bike on the top of her SUV and offered to drive her home but in fact tried to rape her. The victim in this case was able to get away from the guy.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11262355/

The woman was riding a bicycle west on Stafford Avenue, near Cameron Village, around 2:30 a.m. June 18, when a man driving a small, dark SUV 'hit her rear tire' as she approached the intersection.

Raleigh, NC police are looking for this dark-colored SUV in connection with a report of an attempted rape that happened in the 'early hours' of June 18, 2012.

'dejavu'? opportunist sexual predator, bump & grab of cyclist, copy cat or recidivist? One month to the day since Mickey's abduction, 1,000 miles away by interstate..

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_State_University"]North Carolina State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
located in Raleigh, North Carolina..

Parallel or coincidence?
On the #2 photo there is a clear shot of the license plate. Hopefully this will lead LE to the perp unless the vehicle or tag was stolen..

--------

None of us can prove/disprove that the bike is under the DWT.

However, from some of the close-ups of Mickey's bike light, which had a large and small rectangular configuration, and upon seeing a close-up of the light source underneath the truck in the released still, where we see a large and small rectangular configuration (albeit the smaller rectangle was dimmed) we might arrive at the conclusion that the bike could be under the truck.

And, I might go further, and say, that the DWT might drag the bike still attached to the undercarriage with it until it was out of the immediate area.

I am not saying it is definitively, and I could very well be wrong.

With all due respect, I would imagine I could use the expert witness that another poster provided a link to in order to "disprove" the theory that the bike is under the truck.

You can realistically "colorize" black and white images in a multitude of Adobe Photoshop ways-you cannot determine or "develop" extract actual color from a black and white image. That I am aware of and I have extensive experience with Adobe Photoshop.

On that same note:
I imported the images of Mickey alone on St. Landry and the Z71 on St. Landry into Adobe Photoshop. I enlarged both images so I could see the center pixel(s) of both the light on her bike and the hotly debated light under the truck. Adobe Photoshop color picker tells me that the html notation of what I determine to be that center pixel of those lights in both images is: ffffee
For the layman that might not be significant, but I edit and create graphic images on an almost daily basis. When doing websites by html or trying to use exact matching colors and fonts on a graphic, you want to match html notation (color, density, hue, saturation etc)

My Adobe Photoshop says: The bike light on Mickey's bike is the same light under the truck, in my professional opinion. (Before you direct me: I have emailed the mods to be verified as a professional)

I believe the original images that LE released are too low quality and/or specific items are obscured on purpose. Therefore, I cannot see a "bike". I cannot see a mangled bike. I cannot see a body. I cannot see "Mickey". Anywhere in this photo! What I can tell you is that the same light source on her bike is under the truck. Specifically. We can speculate that Mickey is further down St. Landry but we have no photo proof or eye witness, no verified proof.

We can speculate Mickey is under the truck, in the truck, standing next to the truck (she is short like me. I can't see over the hood of just about any truck out there.) bent over next to the truck, in the bed of the truck, out of camera view 20 ft in front of the truck. We have no photo proof to determine that. I assure you I am not insane, or making wild speculations. I am trying to give helpful, sleuthful information that helps find Mickey. I apologize if my opinions offend(ed) anyone.

BBM
I did the same thing using the images that were available from LE's website, before any third party alterations were done. And my results are significantly different.
Mickey's Light gives an html notation of ffebed or HSV of 354, 8, 100
Under Truck gives an html notation of d0cccl or HSV of 44, 7, 82
I'm attaching a visual representation of those values for all to see. It's my opinion they aren't even close.

Attachments

• Colors.jpg
    Colors.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 32
Know me or not, it's not like I'm some random person off the street. Im a Private Investigator. I'm not going to "accidentally" give out information that would compromise a case. I do know how to handle an investigation. How to handle it discreetly while at the same time sharing enough information to keep the public interested and involved. This whole case has been about "the power of social media" and spreading the word far and wide and I did just that. /rant over ;)

So how is everyone? :D

Definitely not saying that you would have done this. Sorry for any confusion. Just that thats what the family's point of view seemed to be. just stating I understand their thoughts and empathize with them, not that I also agree with them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

After nearly a week without results in the search for missing Michaela 'Mickey' Shunick, police have revealed they have uncovered surveillance footage of the 22-year old riding her bike.

Two videos both show the University of Louisiana student on St. John Street and St. Landry Street in Lafayette.

And in both videos a white four-door pick-up truck is seen to pass by on camera after Schunick rides by and date from 1.47 and 1.48 a.m after the student had left a friends house on Saturday May 19.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eillance-footage-uncovered.html#ixzz1z78Wq9L6
-------------------

If you go to the press conference video, it seems that Charlie is trying to cover any/all locations where Mickey could possibly be, and that includes:

out of the country

I think I remember it being at about the 3:38-3:39 mark, where she asks everyone to contact people they know anywhere in the world, because Mickey could be anywhere.

There are several missing children/person cases, where years later, the family gets info. of a possible sighting in another country, dispatches a P.I. and investigates.

However, as we found out in the Jaycee Dugard case, or the victims of Jamelski, sometimes people are held prisoner for years, not too far from where they disappeared.

I titled that, ironically. This was part of a gansta type image collection that also showed work and family life. It ws really hard to tell if it ws worth going after, but dude was in the area on or around the night in question, living the night life. I feel like these images are almost worthless outside of the context that they came from, and I realized this as I was trying to title the ones I saved. What blew my mind was how, in about the 3rd cirlce of friends of the gun guy(s), I saw a formerly sluethable vehicle from the front.

I went to Campus and local La LE many days before I mentioned that stuff here. As soon as I mentioned it here 'poof' it started disappearing. Same thing with the Tiger Droppings website. As of 16 hours ago the whole Mickey Shunick thread was deleted. Wassup wit dat?

It seems like many of you would prefer to get knowhere on this, and I'm going to let you. I won't be back unless I can get time stamps to the second. C YA!!

The hard reality is that social media is a double-edged sword. It helps spread info, with both good and bad results.

The feeling I get right now - JMO - is that there is a lot of stuff boiling under the surface. The rumor mill in Lafayette is in overdrive. Long ago, I posted that the only thing faster than the Internet is the CajunNet. This town talks.

I am not saying that this is the case - but something to think about:

If LE has identified some various POIs, in various directions or social circles, and if they are young and local, they almost certainly use social media.

If leaks occur that get to people who can tip off the POIs, and if LE is still watching the POIs, the POIs' guards will be up and they will that much more careful not to do or say anything that could lead to Mickey's recovery - alive or otherwise.

Your post speaks of a frustration that people here don't want to move forward and don't want to find Mickey. I submit to you that it is eminently possible the responsible act of silencing wagging tongues could be the best way to accomplish that goal.

The goal of outing onto the Internet everything one finds out, and the goal of finding Mickey, may not necessarily be compatible. In the worst-case scenario, those goals may be mutually exclusive.

Ostensibly, the goal of Websleuths and other "sleuthing"-type blogs, is to share info, with the idea of assisting in finding the missing person. In my opinion, the goal is not - and should not - be simply "let information be free" - and to throw everything against the wall for public consumption.

While many people I have run across in life and even in this case believe that there should be no censorship - self- or other-directed - exercised, and that all info, no matter how sensitive, should be posted on the Internet for public viewing, I take a different view:

When the goal of digging up facts and sleuthing certain individuals begins to interfere with actually finding the missing person, that is when I believe all involved must take a step back and meditate on which is more important - being the first to post a juicy "fact," or being responsible enough to know when to hold back and let LE do its job. This is where there are Terms of Service at WS. The sleuthing of non-POIs, etc., and publicly published rumors and other info about them, is not allowed. This is to make sure that WS does not actually interfere with the case. Sometimes there is a fine line between gathering information to help move the case forward, and gathering information to satisfy the "gossip gene."

Now I am not basing this on anything concrete, but: Lafayette is an unusually gossipy town. A lot of people just HAVE to have the latest tidbit, to have the satisfaction of being a person with the "inside scoop," and spreading it to their neighbor.

If Mickey has been taken by locals, then this "gossip gene" is an absolute nightmare for LE and the family. The buzzing hive of busybees in this case is growing louder and louder and has to scare the heck out of LE and family if, indeed, they have some POIs but are still gathering info.

I urge everyone here to realize that there is a real possibility that info posted here at WS and other social-media sites is getting back to the perp(s). So - do we really want to be an informer here, in service of the perp(s)? In the worst case scenario, places like WS could end up being the gusty wind that blows the dropped piece of paper across the parking lot, with LE chasing the paper, and everytime they bend down to pick it up - places like WS could be the gust that snatches it away.

Self-censorship does play a role in a gossipy town with possible local perp(s).

All of this is just my opinion, of course, but I am just a bit disturbed at the willingness of some people in situations like this to make posts about possible POIs (not necessarily here - just in general) that don't take into account that they may be assisting the perp(s) as much or more than assisting LE and the family.

Just some thought about self-censorship.

The goal is to help find Mickey..... without making it harder to find Mickey. Fine line. Very fine.

I just read this in the our local news and it reminded me a lot of this case. In the NC incident, the guy hit her back tire at an intersection and then put her bike on the top of her SUV and offered to drive her home but in fact tried to rape her. The victim in this case was able to get away from the guy.

Unbelievable. Thank goodness she managed to escape.

Wish we could do a rewrite:
"A lift home after you purposely rammed my bicycle? How kind, just let me grab my loaded pistol-grip Mossberg bicycle pump.”

Please let us know if there are any new developments.

Just dropped in to say "Hey" and I am very sad to find no updates. Did LE ever release an info on prints/dna or anything found on Mickey's bike? Have they been silent on everything? I've been spending a lot of time searching web forums for any conversations that might relate to Mickey. I just go to Google and type in -> Mickey Shunick forum discuss and start reading. Sometimes I search by topic like bicycle club forum or college forum or forum about horses, tattoos, things like that. If I find anything it would probably be rumor or speculation but maybe...just maybe. I followed Lauren Spierer's case for a long time and I should get back to that and others as well. They feel like distant family now and I can never just forget about them. They did not disappear. They are somewhere. Somewhere. Where? Our Hearts are with them and their families. :please:

Just dropped in to say "Hey" and I am very sad to find no updates. Did LE ever release an info on prints/dna or anything found on Mickey's bike? Have they been silent on everything? I've been spending a lot of time searching web forums for any conversations that might relate to Mickey. I just go to Google and type in -> Mickey Shunick forum discuss and start reading. Sometimes I search by topic like bicycle club forum or college forum or forum about horses, tattoos, things like that. If I find anything it would probably be rumor or speculation but maybe...just maybe. I followed Lauren Spierer's case for a long time and I should get back to that and others as well. They feel like distant family now and I can never just forget about them. They did not disappear. They are somewhere. Somewhere. Where? Our Hearts are with them and their families. :please:
------
Thank you. Some of us are following cases of missing children, teenagers, adults from decades ago...

There is some reason, IMO, to believe that some cases go cold, due to the powers that be shutting down or being complicit in stopping an investigation to protect their standing in the community, reputation or image at the expense of the victims, families.

Not saying that is the case here, though.

Toadlily, thank you very much for sharing this. Due to his MO, and the many other parallels. I feel this may very well be related to Mickey's abduction.
Glad this innocent victim was able to escape his wrath.

Guess, time will tell...

I'd agree with you if this were any other city in any other state. This is LPD we're talking about. It's what they do. In Louisiana it doesn't take much for probable cause and to make an arrest. A blurry video, picture, or even something as simple as a sworn statement (from anyone) is enough to make an arrest. When LPD wants to arrest someone they do it. Then they worry about the evidence. I know that's not how it's supposed to work and that's why you weren't agreeing with me, but that's how things get done around here. I've seen it time and time again. I can go pick a dozen random criminal files on a handful of random people right now and show you just that. No actual evidence, arrest, charge, some evidence gathered, court, dismissed due to no good evidence. Happens all the time. LPD has a very "test the spaghetti" method of doing things. Lock someone up and then start throwing **** at the wall and hope something sticks. So I stand by what I said. But anyway, I could see them maybe (and that's a big maybe) holding off on making an arrest if they had reason to think she was still alive. But even you said they are out doing sonar on some certain murky water areas. Surely they're not looking for her alive at the bottom of some swamp. So like I said, if they were able to identify the perp they would have him locked up already and then figure out where she is as well as the rest of the evidence with him behind bars. And if they have no idea who it is then it would behoove them to release all the info they have that would help identify the vehicle and/or perp....not just one blurry, "enhanced" photo of a non-descript truck.

I'm not willing to say that this is the only state that has LE issues. Not by a long shot, but that is neither here, nor there. It took my moving away from SOUTH Louisiana to really get an appreciation of what a special place it is. (even though it may be its own little banana republic. Haha!) The LPD has its problems, like any one/organization on this Earth, but LPD has a lot of eyes on them right now. More than they're used to, for sure. The DA's office is being cracked down on because of the way they handle OWI convictions, or rather, the lack there of. LPD has no room for error here. Not only has the community rallied behind Mickey, but this has brought national media attention to a department that appears to crumbling from the inside out. This is the answer as to why Dee Stanley and Cheif Craft were at Whiskey Bay. LCG cannot afford for this to be messed up. (I just can't get over the irony of her last being seen on an LCG camera. I also dumbfounded, but kind of not surprised, that LCG surveillance cams have such a delay, IF, they are indeed, like the useless traffic cams. I say useless, because the delay, even to monitor traffic, is ridiculous, especially since they don't record. So, unless they have some camera cop that just sits there and looks at screens, but can't prove anything he ever sees on there, because it's not recorded, what's the point?)
Also, I don't think the perp, nor LPD, expected such a rally behind finding Mickey. They are proofing and re-reading again and again, dotting all of their "I"s and crossing all of their "t"s before they make an arrest. I am sure that there is never a moment that this person is out of their sight. (I'm sure you know about this part, more than I, but a gps tracker on the car is probably likely too). They know where the perp is, but they want Mickey, hopefully alive. Mickey is the priority right now, and I firmly believe that they/we have a better chance of finding Mickey if the perp is living the free life. Once they are behind bars, the chances of finding her are cut considerably.

They cannot make an arrest on the word of someone that was confessed to by the perp.They also can't bring sufficient charges against someone soley based on a fuzzy, significantly time lapsed camera, video, or not. But those two things can definitely pin point who they're after. Now, if the camera does not, in fact, have a time lapse, then I just can't imagine why they haven't released better pictures of the truck they are "looking" for, instead of these images that were clearly altered by someone who is not very good at it, or didn't really care that it would be obvious they were hiding things. I do think this photo editor missed the bike light. (careless error # ?, because let us not forget that they didn't check LCG cams until five days later, please, correct me if I'm wrong)

So...
LET'S FIND MICKEY!!!!!!!
PLEASE, BRING MICKEY HOME!

It's killing me, I cannot even begin to comprehend how her family/friends feel!

The woman was riding a bicycle west on Stafford Avenue, near Cameron Village, around 2:30 a.m. June 18, when a man driving a small, dark SUV 'hit her rear tire' as she approached the intersection.

Raleigh, NC police are looking for this dark-colored SUV in connection with a report of an attempted rape that happened in the 'early hours' of June 18, 2012.

'dejavu'? opportunist sexual predator, bump & grab of cyclist, copy cat or recidivist? One month to the day since Mickey's abduction, 1,000 miles away by interstate..

North Carolina State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parallel or coincidence?
On the #2 photo there is a clear shot of the license plate. Hopefully this will lead LE to the perp unless the vehicle or tag was stolen..

Parallel, coincidence or serial predator?

The only Checking In I do on FB is when I'm actually checking out of a place. Safer and more private, that way. Last thing I want is some yappy, socially unaware goofball acquaintance of mine showing up while I'm at dinner, wanting to discuss the weather or whatever.

Right, you can still use facebook and it's features and share your life events with family and friends as long as you're smart about it. I also do this if I want to check in some where as I'm leaving a place. And as for people saying they have strangers adding them, push the deny button. Problem over. Have your profile set to private. It's really not the horror everyone makes it out to be unless you make it that way. It's a great connection to family and friends otherwise.

Foxfire said:

North Carolina State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parallel or coincidence?

Parallel, coincidence or serial predator?

We have been researching bicycle bump & grabs for over a month now & with the exception of the one in Hawaii, it seems to be a very rare MO.

I'm not willing to say that this is the only state that has LE issues. Not by a long shot, but that is neither here, nor there. It took my moving away from SOUTH Louisiana to really get an appreciation of what a special place it is. (even though it may be its own little banana republic. Haha!) The LPD has its problems, like any one/organization on this Earth, but LPD has a lot of eyes on them right now. More than they're used to, for sure. The DA's office is being cracked down on because of the way they handle OWI convictions, or rather, the lack there of. LPD has no room for error here. Not only has the community rallied behind Mickey, but this has brought national media attention to a department that appears to crumbling from the inside out. This is the answer as to why Dee Stanley and Cheif Craft were at Whiskey Bay. LCG cannot afford for this to be messed up. (I just can't get over the irony of her last being seen on an LCG camera. I also dumbfounded, but kind of not surprised, that LCG surveillance cams have such a delay, IF, they are indeed, like the useless traffic cams. I say useless, because the delay, even to monitor traffic, is ridiculous, especially since they don't record. So, unless they have some camera cop that just sits there and looks at screens, but can't prove anything he ever sees on there, because it's not recorded, what's the point?)
Also, I don't think the perp, nor LPD, expected such a rally behind finding Mickey. They are proofing and re-reading again and again, dotting all of their "I"s and crossing all of their "t"s before they make an arrest. I am sure that there is never a moment that this person is out of their sight. (I'm sure you know about this part, more than I, but a gps tracker on the car is probably likely too). They know where the perp is, but they want Mickey, hopefully alive. Mickey is the priority right now, and I firmly believe that they/we have a better chance of finding Mickey if the perp is living the free life. Once they are behind bars, the chances of finding her are cut considerably.

They cannot make an arrest on the word of someone that was confessed to by the perp.They also can't bring sufficient charges against someone soley based on a fuzzy, significantly time lapsed camera, video, or not. But those two things can definitely pin point who they're after. Now, if the camera does not, in fact, have a time lapse, then I just can't imagine why they haven't released better pictures of the truck they are "looking" for, instead of these images that were clearly altered by someone who is not very good at it, or didn't really care that it would be obvious they were hiding things. I do think this photo editor missed the bike light. (careless error # ?, because let us not forget that they didn't check LCG cams until five days later, please, correct me if I'm wrong)

So...
LET'S FIND MICKEY!!!!!!!
PLEASE, BRING MICKEY HOME!

It's killing me, I cannot even begin to comprehend how her family/friends feel!

I will simply say, if you've got the money to spare, go run through a red light at an intersection with cams on it. You'll get a nice ticket in the mail with a link to see the video of you approaching the light and then running through it. Works with speeding too. Start off slow and then punch it through the intersection. You'll still see video of you slowly approaching. Funny how they don't record huh? Or do the cameras have some super advanced algorithm that can predict the future and knows to only record those specific segments at that time? They will always claim either the cameras don't record, or they weren't on, or they were broken, or in the process of being fixed etc. But most people know better. They will never release video from or even admit to reviewing any video from those cameras, to the public. That would open floodgates that they simply will never open. Same thing with contacting cell phone providers in relation to specific towers and the logs from them. A record of every phone that pinged on that tower at a specific time. So seems pretty simple right? Follow Mickey's phone until it stops hitting towers. Purchase the data dumps from all those surrounding towers. Match up phone numbers to the ones in the same area and or travelling the same direction at the same time and see who it belongs to and where it goes. Case solved right? Afraid not. That's something they simply won't do. Far too time consuming and very expensive (Verizon, Att, Sprint etc all charge for those data logs). And if they do it on one case, then every case after that people will be demanding they do it again. Same with the cameras. And that is just too expensive and too much work. Not to mention once that specific cat is out of the bag every criminal and attorney in Lafayette will be re-opening old cases, demanding that they go back to review all this stuff to prove their innocence. Opening up class action lawsuits for false arrests and a myriad of other wrong doings. That's a can of worms that will simply never be opened, even though it can and should be.

BBM
I did the same thing using the images that were available from LE's website, before any third party alterations were done. And my results are significantly different.
Mickey's Light gives an html notation of ffebed or HSV of 354, 8, 100
Under Truck gives an html notation of d0cccl or HSV of 44, 7, 82
I'm attaching a visual representation of those values for all to see. It's my opinion they aren't even close.

IMO it appears that the Mickey pic has been like cleaned up or the others obscured. I don't know anything about it so I am asking ifbthe clarity ofbthe pics can have anything to do with a difference in the color?
If you compare the other objects in the pictures in the background/clot of pavement etc? Are all of those colors the same in comparison throughout all of the pictures?

Also IMO if the light is powered by pedaling as opposed to battery operated or whatever with a switch then the change in speed o the wheel turning would change the brightness o the light? Is there anyone who has determined which kind her bike light is?
Moo
Thanks in advance.

I will simply say, if you've got the money to spare, go run through a red light at an intersection with cams on it. You'll get a nice ticket in the mail with a link to see the video of you approaching the light and then running through it. Works with speeding too. Start off slow and then punch it through the intersection. You'll still see video of you slowly approaching. Funny how they don't record huh? Or do the cameras have some super advanced algorithm that can predict the future and knows to only record those specific segments at that time? They will always claim either the cameras don't record, or they weren't on, or they were broken, or in the process of being fixed etc. But most people know better. They will never release video from or even admit to reviewing any video from those cameras, to the public. That would open floodgates that they simply will never open. Same thing with contacting cell phone providers in relation to specific towers and the logs from them. A record of every phone that pinged on that tower at a specific time. So seems pretty simple right? Follow Mickey's phone until it stops hitting towers. Purchase the data dumps from all those surrounding towers. Match up phone numbers to the ones in the same area and or travelling the same direction at the same time and see who it belongs to and where it goes. Case solved right? Afraid not. That's something they simply won't do. Far too time consuming and very expensive (Verizon, Att, Sprint etc all charge for those data logs). And if they do it on one case, then every case after that people will be demanding they do it again. Same with the cameras. And that is just too expensive and too much work. Not to mention once that specific cat is out of the bag every criminal and attorney in Lafayette will be re-opening old cases, demanding that they go back to review all this stuff to prove their innocence. Opening up class action lawsuits for false arrests and a myriad of other wrong doings. That's a can of worms that will simply never be opened, even though it can and should be.

Apparently police do request phone companies to provide them with all-inclusive data from specific cell towers in the aftermath of a crime and that’s raising the ire of certain civil liberties groups and other political factions:

"For years, legal scholar Susan Freidwald has been raising alarms about police tracking the locations of average American cellphone users, without warrants or judicial oversight."

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/04/20124518519786175.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member