IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Sunlight. 55 years, but justice was finally served. Ugh! Only 17 at the time of the murder and went on to enlist in the military and then worked as a Washington State police officer. It took 5 months to locate Maria's remains. His mother confessed on her deathbed to his half sister. Thank goodness his old girlfriend was brave enough to come forward regarding the unused train ticket. At 72, he's finally getting what he deserved.... not exactly instant karma, but he got what was coming to him eventually.

I wondered if he had become a LE, as a way for a guilty conscience to make amends for his awful deed, or to cover them up, or to use the position to commit more crimes?
Oddly, in one article he described her as beautiful and looking like a doll, yet he left her like she was just an ugly, worthless piece of garbage.

I think maybe Lyric was used to characters of a different nature, if ya know what I mean.

Well, that is the point that LE is making isn't it? That it is a person you would not think would be capable of doing such a thing. So, those girls would be no different than any other girls who would trust someone they would never dream would be dangerous. MOO

Cook_Collins_timeline2.jpg

Thanks Otto. You might want to add 12:15 and possibly 2 pm.

12:15 riding away from Collin's residence

12:23 on Brovan Blvd

12:30-1:00 on Gilbert Drive near Meyrs Lake

2 pm -- bikes found at lake (per DCi press release)

3:58 -- bikes found at lake (per Abben during press conference)

Well, that is the point that LE is making isn't it? That it is a person you would not think would be capable of doing such a thing. So, those girls would be no different than any other girls who would trust someone they would never dream would be dangerous. MOO

What I meant was, Lyric has probally met some of her parents wild friends.

Strikes me as pretty definitive. They could have said, "may be", or "could be"; but they are saying "is".

So, they are looking for someone who "arrived" and "departed" the "area" by vehicle, who fits the above description, i.e., someone no one might suspect of being "capable" of such a thing.

So turning that around, what about a person would make people think they are capable? Think of what that would look like and then take the opposite view.

MOO

ETA: So what kind of person "known by many people" would one consider not "capable" of abducting the girls? Interesting.

Throwing out possibilities ....Mostly those who openly work in the community
Girl or boy scout leader

A mailman
Teacher
Coach
LE
Store clerk
Business owner

Does anyone know if you can cut across the property shown on Sipple Ave at the intersection with Brovan Blvd to get to S Evans Rd? If the girls could cut through a parking lot and get to S Evans at that area, it would be only 1/4 block south to the Fareway...

Throwing out possibilities ....Mostly those who openly work in the community
Girl or boy scout leader

A mailman
Teacher
Coach
LE
Store clerk
Business owner

Doctor
Dentist
Nurse
Physical therapist
dog catcher
principal (my 1st grade principal was arrested for sexually abusing the kids!)
Counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist
Camp counselor (don't know if church camp is applicable to the girls)
MOO

Excellent thought process! I agree. Once someone had the girls which way would they go to get out of town quickly? Would it make sense to go west on Arbitus continuing up South Evans drive and then turn west on Gilbert drive, south on River Forest Road to gain entry on 380. Or if perp was very familiar with area would he have stayed on Gilbert?? Or would he have gone north to Waterloo?

Likely the quickest route to an interstate highway, I suppose?

I wondered if he had become a LE, as a way for a guilty conscience to make amends for his awful deed, or to cover them up, or to use the position to commit more crimes?
Oddly, in one article he described her as beautiful and looking like a doll, yet he left her like she was just an ugly, worthless piece of garbage.

I apologize. :what: Thank you dotr for the link to the story. First thing I thought when I read he was a LE officer was how many more people did he kill. I hope and pray he had a very guilty conscious and never had a peaceful moment.

Short story for you. When I was about 9 and lived in Sandiego, I was walking to school which was only a block away from my house. This guy in a red pinto pulled up along side me and asked if I wanted to make a hundred. I ran home. I'm so glad I wasn't guilable and would of considered the money not knowing what the pervert meant.

I think our 'stories' are what have lead many of us here to WS. We hope our collective experiences and expertise will solve cases.:moo:

I just keep thinking of the guy that has been traveling Iowa in a white or black van and trying to abduct kids. We don't know if it's the same guy in all instances, but what if it is.

My intuition/ instinct tells me no. Why would he risk being seen in public in so many attempted abductions in recent months? Unless he is brazenly desperate
--which is possible I suppose.
Anyone :please: have thoughts on this?

My intuition/ instinct tells me no. Why would he risk being seen in public in so many attempted abductions in recent months? Unless he is brazenly desperate
--which is possible I suppose.
Anyone :please: have thoughts on this?

It just seems strange that it was after July 13th that we started hearing about all these abduction attempts.

In light of the new timeline and locations being released, I'm re-reading aunt T.B.'s interview with Nancy Grace that aired July 19, 2012:

BROUSSEAU: OK. So then we watched the investigators put the crime scene tape up. They were down there for a very long time. I would say approximately three hours, maybe more, you know, doing their investigation.

And we went back around to the southeast side of the lake, where you can actually -- there is an old, like, sewer building. There`s an old garage that sits on this chunk of land that you can actually very easily go down a few blocks and access the back of the lake area from -- from that point you can.

And so, you know, my immediate gut feelings -- you know, because in just this 10-mile radius, there is 200 pedophiles that live in this 10-mile radius. And I`ve -- since the Johnny Gosch case has happened -- I have a 24-year-old daughter -- I have been -- that is every parent`s worst nightmare.

To me, it has always haunted me to see it to happen to other families, to watch your show. My heart bleeds for those people. You never think you`re going to be in this position.

But what I`m saying is, so I -- after the tape came down, I went back in that area and I started doing my own investigation, and looking around and seeing what I could see. And I could so feel that somebody had come down here, had been watching the girls for quite some time -- whether it even started as they left Heather and Mom`s place -- they`d been following them and watching them, seen them come down here.

They know the area very well, watched the girls go around the lake. He knew how to access the back because he seen them heading down there. You know, maybe they were down there, you know, standing on those rocks, tossing them in the water, as kids do.

Anyway -- and it was a very hot, lazy Friday. There wasn`t many people out. I kind of looked around to see because after where the bikes were dropped on the bike trail, there`s about 400 yards of forest, and then that grassy area where I`m telling you that somebody could easily access the bike trail from, park their car along that grassy forest and got out and had a knife or whatever it was, and said to the girls, you know, Get in this vehicle right now or it`s over with for you.

And I could so see that -- that, you know, happening because, you know, where -- where are the girls, you know?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/19/ng.01.html

BBM. <modsnip>

Well at least LE knows where this guy is:

100382134a.jpg

His information was updated today.

Does anyone know if you can cut across the property shown on Sipple Ave at the intersection with Brovan Blvd to get to S Evans Rd? If the girls could cut through a parking lot and get to S Evans at that area, it would be only 1/4 block south to the Fareway...

Yes. There's a road or alley that goes along the back of the buildings there. The children were seen heading towards the old post office (grandmother). The post office is in that strip mall.

Cook_Collins_routes2a.jpg

@ Marnie. I read this as TB talking about what the perp knew about the area.

"They know the area very well, watched the girls go around the lake. He knew how to access the back because he seen them heading down there."

I think when she says "they know...it is the same person as "he knew"...

While she later said the girls had been to the lake with the neighbor's kids, there has been no information that the girls knew the area well.

MOO

ETA: I think TB was right on in her theory.

Did they say at one point there was a report of a "stolen" paddleboat? Was it ever located or was it just "borrowed" while the people were away? Sorry to dredge up stuff I should remember but...

Anyway, if that yellow paddleboat or any other boat (row boat), for example was used to ferry the girls from the far side (where the bikes were found) back to the boat ramp at Elmer Ave., then the boat (with girls in it somehow covered up or just in it) could have been removed by hauling it out and onto a flatbed or boat trailer...MOO Just more brainstorming that has probably been said umpteen times already..
'

I went back over news articles this afternoon and speaking of the paddleboater ... Article from July 24th: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120724/NEWS/307240022/1046/ENT/?odyssey=nav|head

Also Monday, investigators sought to interview a person who was paddle- boating on Meyers Lake. The boater is not a suspect, but authorities would like to interview all those who were at Meyers Lake on the afternoon of July 13, regardless of whether they saw the girls.

Agents believe the boater was on the lake between noon and 1 p.m. Authorities did not know if the paddle boat was rented or privately owned or what type of paddle boat it was.

BBM We won't be told if this person ever came forward, but it sounds like LE has been working for quite some time with the belief that the abduction happened before 1:00.

@Otto..Would you consider doing a map from the bike trail where the bikes were found, up to Gilbert, right on Gilbert (going East) all the way to McCoy Rd., right on McCoy Road, and follow it to the end?

So, the girls could have reached the bike trail OR a location near Arbutus around 12:30, been immobilized then, either the bikes were tranported from a location (maybe the house on S Evans) where a paddleboat was to the bike trail and staged OR (since LE is now mentioning Elmer, perhaps they met up with a boater who told them to bike around to the trail and then boated over to them..immobilized them or not...leaving the bikes etc., and ferried them back over to the parking lot at Elmer and drove off with them (telling them they were going back to get the bikes). Either way, ultimately "departing" from that "area" in a "vehicle" with the girls. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz