CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBSDenver ‏@CBSDenver

FBI: #Jessica Ridgeway suspect description: White male, 55-60yo, 185-200 lbs, short strawberry-blond or white hair, neatly trimmed..(more)

ETA: I have the live feed of #jessicaridgeway open and this appeared just second ago. Upon returning to their page I couldn't find it. Wonder if it was deleted? Should I delete this post?

No clue, but that is almost the EXACT description of the Wyoming perpetrator IIRC.

jmo

With a route like Jessica's to school, the odds of a serious car accident are pretty slim.
If your child can walk to school in such a short time, odds are good you aren't going to be traveling at high speeds driving them.

Most car accidents do occur very close to home.
However, if your child is correctly restrained then those minor accidents wouldn't be likely to be a problem. (Sense of control.)

Where I live a 5 year old wandering will get zero attention unless they are seriously injured or right next to a pool or something.

Finding a baby in the road doesn't even warrant a response. I almost got arrested when the cop refused to do anything.

Toddlers play outside alone... you just dodge little kids in the road and pray that they stay safe somehow. It is infuriating.

Right. In some areas, it is unlikely that the police would do anything. That's why, if you see a child wandering at night, you don't just call the police, you call CPS. They are obligated to investigate. LE deals in emergencies generally. CPS can investigate on-going abuse or neglect issues, however.

There are child abuse hotline numbers in every area. No way would I simply stand by and watch a small child wandering at night. I would be calling CPS and probably making a visit to the parents' home to tell them about child predators.

I'm just letting everyone know,what options there are. There is always something that can be done.

Surely they have these two mixed up.

That's odd, when I went to the denverchannel twitter they had deleted about the search just posted from their twitter.

I'm unfamiliar with Twitter and I keep seeing a lot of tweets appear and then disappear. Some then reappear. I must be doing something wrong?

I get excited when I see something interesting tweeted, and then feel bad when I can't find it again!

I'm unfamiliar with Twitter and I keep seeing a lot of tweets appear and then disappear. Some then reappear. I must be doing something wrong?

I get excited when I see something interesting tweeted, and then feel bad when I can't find it again!

that happens to me a lot too, not sure where they go!

I am a grown, heatlthy and athletic woman. I was out running one evening in the fall after dark. I was headed North down a residential street and was passed by a few guys in an SUV headed South. Call it intuition, but I glanced back and saw that they had whipped a U-turn and were heading right back towards me. I immediately cut down an alley and hid near a large garbage can. Within seconds, I saw the headlights from the car turn down the alley and head for me. I managed to get through some poor homeowners side yard from the back and pound down their front door. They let me in and called the cops for me. The cops did end up pulling these guys over with the detailed description I gave of the vehicle and reported back to me that they had no intention of harming me. They were interested in asking me out and thought following me was a good idea. I do not know their true intentions, but I am glad I did not stick around to find out.

I am not blaming anyone, but I know I have learned a great deal from reading here with others' experiences as my guide. This is not the world I grew up in and we need to try harder than ever. These perps have amped up their game and now as a community we need to always be one step ahead.

This is just my opinion.

Wow, that is creepy. And it reminds me of this blog post from a couple of years ago:

http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/g...pproaching-strange-women-without-being-maced/

I think all men should read this... not because I think they are all creepers, or even potential creepers, but that a lot of the time they are completely unaware of what it feels like to be on the other side of their approaches.

I'm really glad you got away safely, regardless of their intentions. And it's totally true, we all have to be vigilant for each other in our communities... none of us are islands.

I think trying to blame a parent or friend of an abducted person for not being careful enough is like blaming the victims of a drunk driving accident for being on the road. Yeah, if you never drove on the highway, you'd never get run down, but it's still the fault of the *advertiser censored*** drunk driver and nothing you did. It's nothing Jessica's mother or relatives or friends did or didn't do, either.

Perspective of the parents of a victim, whose child was abducted & murdered by a sexual predator who, after 3 years, has yet to be apprehended.
Dan and Gil Harrington speak to reporters ...

Dan Harrington speaks to reporters about the discovery of his daughters body 1/26/2010
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1wPtfLgKIw"]Dan and Gil Harrington speak to reporters I - YouTube[/ame]

I have the feeling it wasn't "overkill" per se, but rather, a very meticulous and methodical way of cleaning up the evidence. I think he put her in the culvert thinking she would decompose and/or animals would take care of things. I think he wasn't raging when he did that part of the act. I bet he's a cool cucumber. A very scary predator.

True, that, about animals. I wasn't even considering animals, duh. That makes a lot of sense... then there wouldn't be any evidence at all.

I think there was nothing wrong with letting Jessica walk to school. I still don't think there was anything wrong with it. As others have said, the danger in auto accidents is much more common. Not only that, I have seen first hand what the result of "helicopter parenting" has done to the younger generation where I work (i am a scientist). I know this is very controversial, but I just wanted to post to say that if you have the same opinion as I do, and have thought you were all alone, you aren't. Not everyone thinks that children need to be under direct supervision 24/7 and that opinion is perfectly ok, despite the outpouring of the blame game we have going on here.

(The media needs to get a grip and not try so hard to be first...good grief.)

On another note, as unfortunate as it is, opportunities for abductions need to be limited by adults. The laws, and the ways of predators, are not going to change quickly anytime soon, so the responsibility has to fall back on those in charge of children, be it parents, teachers, etc. There are not many cases of a child being literally taken away from an adult and getting away with it.

There will always be kids who will respond to an adult offering them something, or asking them to come closer to their car, etc...the only to to prevent this is for kids to always be with an adult supervisor who can be trusted, I guess.

It stinks, but it is true, IMO.

I swear I am reading things right this time.

The press conference is at 4pm today.

WestminsterPD posted it on Twitter, but I'm afraid to copy and paste, because as we have seen in the past few minutes, that may change.

Trying to get caught up, but I can't quite make it, so forgive me if this has been said.

Kids confuse days. Adults confuse days. I have no idea what day this is. ~g~

But it was snowing that Friday morning. Possibly the first snow of the year. That made it special, and J should know if he walked to school with Jessica in the snow. Same for the other kids and the aid who think they saw her.

If they don't remember snow, it could be any day of the year. But if they remember snow, they saw her that day.

Some dingleberry tweeted the WY Suspect info and attached Jessica's hashtag. Then people started re-tweeting it. And that folks, is how quickly misinformation and rumors spread!!

Westminster Police‏@WestminsterPD

Agency heads will brief the media at 4 PM at Westminster PD. #jessicaridgeway

this is about an hour away correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads